Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Site info: http://www.rifftrax.com/

Edit: (Syracuse, NY)

As required by the laws of Something Awful I took the time go to see our favorite movie riffers back in action, and on the big screen. Needless to say I wasn't disappointed. Plan 9 is so god awful in its self that you can't help but to laugh at it, and with Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy, and Bill Corbett spoofing on it non-stop this becomes a painful experience for your lungs. I'd probably rate it as better than any individual MST3K episode, but then again I haven't seen them all.

This wasn't just about one movie though. Things kick off with a funny as hell riffing of an old airline training film, which although it lasts just ten minutes I would still consider funnier than most MST3k episodes as well. Things then move on to a 'commercial' presented by none other than Lowtax and SA. The Flour Convention one had people squirting soda out their noses in my theater... I only wish that was an exaggeration. This is followed by a musical number, which most people in my theater didn't really take to, and then another commercial.

Lowtax himself appears... I don't know what the issue with being on the phone is. Was it a running joke?

All in all I'm going to rate this:

Flying Stewardess: 4.5/5

Flour Convention: 5/5

Music: 2/5

Berry Protection: 3.5/5

Plan 9: 5/5

ALSO gently caress YOU GUY WHO WON THE IPOD AND WASN'T ME!

Liar fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 21, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing
Reporting from Portland. The Flying Stewardesses short was more funny than Plan 9 to me. Plan 9 is a terrible movie on its own, and the MST3K guys didn't help much. I still laughed. Admittedly, I stepped out to grab a soda during the part where the guy won an iPod, so I missed the flower short, but Berry Protection was amazing.

The Portland audience didn't seem as enthusiastic about Jonathon Coulton as I expected, but it still rocked. "Regarding Your Brains" was more enjoyable than the "Plans 1 through 8" song.

Lowtax, are you going to make the berry protection clip available for download? My friends need their berries protected and they couldn't come because they were too busy watching their berries.

Overall 4.5/5

Timelord
Jan 17, 2008

From Alabama,
The Flying Stewardesses I thought fit the style of the riffers much better than Plan 9. I caught myself getting very bored near the tail end of the Plan 9 feature and decided to just sit it out until it finished. This is not to say that the commentary was terrible in of itself, but that it could have spaced out the commercials and musical interlude throughout the movies to alleviate the relative monotony of 3 guys mocking a terrible film (which would have made sense with them supposedly being commercials). All in all I'd see it again, but only on the pretext that it had breaks or placed the commercials during the movie to re-energize the audience.

The Flying Stewardesses short was very well chosen piece of commentary, and even had a bit of social relevance to how silly the 1950's were to us today. I'd like to see it again!

The Commercials by Lowtax killed the entire theater. I thought that Flour Expo was funny in it's absolute extremism that we see in some advertisements. Loaded with great catchphrases, but unlikely to be over-used due to context. The Berry Watch commercial was a little less memorable and had more of a commercial feel.
I would watch both of these many times.
Lowtax's bits actually angered me in the fact that they would not give him his own microphone/turn it on. I was unable to hear anything he said outside of his delivery of the iPod winner. It seems to be that he was supposedly on a sex line the first time he came on stage, and on the phone with berry watch after it's short.

The singer (Johnathon Coulton) was out of place. His songs were (to be kind) not the same kind of comedy as the MST3K team or SA Brand humor. I believe half the audience chose that time to go to the bathroom/buy drinks and I wish that I had too.
(If you went to see him then you likely wouldn't like the rest/If you went to see the rest you didn't want to see him) Seems to be the consensus.
I would not see again, and will avoid his name in the future.

Overall I would rate this as a 4.5/5

Get rid of Johnathon Coulton and space out the Plan 9 movie with commercials and it would be a masterpiece event.