Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
I know there are huge barriers for ADD people in regards to getting into the military. Are there any sort of loopholes at all? Those pilots take "go pills" which are sometimes the same medications given to ADD people.

Also, can you join if you aren't taking a "stimulant" version of medication for ADD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Is there anyone else still on Dexedrine? I've been on it since I was 7 years old. Doctors have tried to get me to switch to other stuff, but I always thought "if it aint broke don't fix it."

I guess my question is, what was the reason for anyone to switch medications if it works for you, and did you ever see any changes that were really noticible?

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Does anyone else feel like there might be a glass ceiling that exists for people with ADD, or is it just my imagination?

It's not like its something you can keep from employers because you will always pop positive on drug tests.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Hey guys, are we still completely barred from joining the armed forces? Being ADD sure crushed a lot of dreams I had when I was younger.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

taylor posted:

Lots of people are able to discontinue medication when they get older

Those people are lucky. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

baronvonwalz posted:

I've always been one of those "score really high on standardized tests but fail at anything that requires real work" folks. It's not that I'm unmotivated I'm just so easily distracted. Anyways I went to my GP to talk about it, he referred me to behavioral sciences, and the behavioral sciences lady diagnosed me with ADD. I go back tomorrow to talk about therapy and medication, how is CBT for those of you who have undergone it, and do you feel that therapy and medication have a cumulative effect or that one is better than the other?

EDIT: If you take medication are you on it for good or is there a point where you can stop?

Depends really. I know my mom grew up without any sort of treatment and became an extremely high functioning person with ADD. She gets distracted sometimes but it is still apparent to those who pay close attention that she still has it and has to tell herself to do certain things. (This is for those that don't grow out of it, some people do apparently).

I on the other hand, was medicated from an early point in my life. I never coped with organizational methods and didn't develop them early on. I do ok without my medication, but I'll never reach what potential I have when I am consistently medicated.