Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brydinut
Dec 20, 2006

mike grace jones posted:

I wasn't diagnosed until a few months ago (I'm 24). You are very lucky to have gotten treatment at 15. I managed to hold a 3.0 GPA through high school and a top college without doing reading, or any work on time, or even buying books through all of college, but every day I resent that I was able to be a "functional ADD," because as soon as I left the womb of academia the real world hit HARD. I never understood how to manage basic little mundane life tasks or even find an occupation that interested me because EVERYTHING was interested at first and then suddenly not at all. When I think about what I could have accomplished by now if I had been treated throughout my middle and high school years...it's all very depressing. Be happy for the time you've had.

This happened to me. Except I got tested really young as a highly functional ADD and my parents never told me until I was 20 (a year ago). It explained quite a few things and some things made a lot more sense. I guess I feel a bit of the resentment of what life could have been like also, because I barely had a 3.0 in high school, and in college, and if things would've gone better if I had been properly treated for it. My teacher comments always had things like "highly intelligent but has trouble putting forth effort into schoolwork."

However, I feel like I perform pretty well and my mental abilities make up for a lot of what I lack attention-wise. Does medication really help that much? I'm a bit afraid of some of the side effects of medication. I don't really know much about the condition to be honest, though I keep meaning to read up more on it.

Brydinut fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Aug 26, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU