Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Master_Jay
Jan 6, 2007
I'm at this point I don't know if I'm ADD or just stupid.

Every time I have to do something that requires a certain amount of brain power, like for say, writing this drat post, it feels like my mind is struggling. I mean, I'm not really thinking about anything while I'm doing this. It just feels like my mind is having a hard time starting stuff. I love to write, but at the same time, I can't stand to actually sit down and write. It sucks.

I'm struggling in classes right now. I studied two weeks in advance for a simple biology class and I got a freaken 57% percent on my paper. Half my time is trying to make myself actually start studying, the other half is trying to ignore the violent urge to stop studying. It sucks.

My family asked me why I am always so down on myself. You know, for me, I haven't been able to achieve any hardcore victories in my life ya know? I did only sub-par in school even though deep down I knew I could do better. Half my day feels like I'm in a fantasy. Time moves fast and it's passing me by. I finally got to school, just to find out I suck at science. Hardcore suck. It's so frustrating studying so drat hard for crap and getting low grades. I finally memorize the calvin cycle, glycolysis, whatever, and I forgot about simple diffusion of water and materials. I just want a victory ya know? Something where I actually tried really hard at and succeeded. But over my life, I haven't had it.

Sorry, back on subject, I went to a psychologist to test for ADD and she says I definitely have the signs for it but I don't really trust her. She wasn't sure I had ADD because I wasn't hyper apparently. Plus group health.

I think I'm just afraid that it won't be ADD. I look at other people's stories and they don't even sound close to mine at times.

Either way, I got referred to another Psychologist and she'll see me next month. Until than, I have to cry and struggle through school.

Sorry for the rant guys. Just wanted to know if anyone felt like this before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master_Jay
Jan 6, 2007
I'm getting another round of test after Thanksgiving. I think the worst part for me would be to find that that not only do I not have ADD, I really am just stupid, lazy, never have enough will to do stuff I love, and will always be like this forever. :smith: But if I don't have it, I don't. I'd just have to move on with life I guess.

Master_Jay
Jan 6, 2007
Hey guys, just officially got diagnosed with Add and put on Concerta. Anything I should watch out for? Took my first pill a few hours ago. The only thing I noticed right now is I have an increased urge to go flirt with chicks but that's prolly because I saw some chick walking down the dorms in a thong.

Master_Jay
Jan 6, 2007
Hey guys, I need some advice.

So around december, I got put on concerta. It has totally helped me out a lot. It felt good to be able to sit down, do what I need to be doing, and get stuff done. My confidence has gone up, I'm slowly getting over some of my bad habits, etc. Lifes been pretty good lately. I even joined a group with add people and it has been nice to be around other people who were going through the same crap I am.

So I went in for an appointment because they wanted to see how bad my add was. I took a few boring test, played around with blocks, did some simple math and word problems, etc. It was kind of cool cause I hadn't done math in awhile, but it was kind of basic.

So I get the test results back, and the lady tells me that I don't have add. She say that I did well in all the tests, my IQ was pretty average and my empirical thinking was fine. What I scored low on was retention of information. I don't retain information too well when it comes to reading and verbal communication and I scored pretty drat low on that.

According to her though, sense I scored high with everything
else, I have no add. I might be taken off my meds. I'm kind of stressed right now

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the whole thing about add is the fact about attention? Regardless if I'm happy or stressed, I still can't tolerate to do what I need to do when it comes to work, reading, etc. If what she is saying is true, wouldn't I have to be experiencing anxiety 24/7? Hell, I'm the one who is always calming everyone else down when poo poo is hitting the fan.

I'm afraid that they might just try to close one problem without fixing the other. Yeah, I would like the anxiety to go down, but at the same times, sense its more annoyance than actual interference, I want to learn to live with the add first than move on.

Does this make sense with anyone else or is she right?

Master_Jay
Jan 6, 2007

gently caress you aurora posted:

Did you let her know that you were medicated at the time? I'm sure that probably affected the outcomes of the exam. THere's actually no conclusive way to test for ADHD despite what people may say, there are predictors and algorithms that I'm not familiar with (they're more for psychologists and for research).

Yep, she knew and had me not take the pill that day until the tests were over. She tested IQ, some stupid test where I press the button when I saw a letter, and other simple crap.

I feel angry cause she ignored my experiences and instead looked at what my Mom and girlfriend had stated in their report they had to do. It was frustrating to be trumped over all this poo poo that wasn't easy for me to talk about by one sentence stating "he seems anxious at times".

Edit: I should have known I'd have issues when she found it weird when I didn't have the hyper part of add. That, and when she kept correcting me.

"No, it's adhd not add..."

*sigh*

Master_Jay fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 7, 2010

Master_Jay
Jan 6, 2007

gently caress you aurora posted:

I think concerta has a half life of 24 hours? They're extended release and I'm sure you probably were still medicatd at the time, probably less so

I hadn't taken the medication in 24 hours anyway. No, I was off it. I couldn't focus on half the stuff she was saying. I scored in the low thirties in terms of retaining audio and visual stimuli and somehow it's sever anxiety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master_Jay
Jan 6, 2007

Bleusman posted:

I've been reading about ADHD recently, and the similarities I've been reading between the symptoms and myself has motivated me to seek professional consultation. There's the constant roar of four separate trains of thought constantly running in my head, the inability to ever fully hear what someone's saying, my life-long lack of organization and the despair it's caused me when it's graded, how I'm always picking at some hangnail or biting skin off my lip because the protrusions are just so distracting, and then there's the fact that I've never truly been able to stay on top of homework. I'm sixteen, so I've asked my mother to get me in contact with someone - I'll be meeting with my GP on Thursday.

So I've been looking through my old report cards, to see if there's anything that I can bring in, and one thing jumps out at me: did anyone with ADHD have trouble with their fine motor skills when they were in the younger grades? My penmanship was simply awful, and it took me far too long to learn how to tie my shoes, use a zipper, and ride a bike. Other than that, my early report cards don't tend to scream "ADD."

Let me put it this way... I'm close to 25 and never learned to tie my shoe officially. It took me at 22 to drive cause I hated changing lanes. (Lost attention everytime)