Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

10 hours of feverish work on a project, and by the end I'm dizzy, achy, have a nice throbby headache and generally feel near death.
Oh wait it's because I haven't had any caffeine or really much water in ~12 hours because I forgot I have a body.

:eng99:

I really need to go see someone about managing this but I haven't actually gone and done a single thing about it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

How do I read a book that I'm genuinely interested in without realizing 6 pages later that while reading, I was thinking about something unrelated.
And then realizing it, and continuing to "read" but digest nothing while having an internal monologue about how I'm not actually reading?

This has gotten worse and worse the older I get.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

So I just finished a clinical drug trial for ADHD (and I got the placebo out of a 1/3 chance) and am in the long term open label version of the study now where I get the actual study drug.
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03605849

I've never had any meds before so I can't really compare it to any of the stimulant meds, but this stuff is really, really incredible. It's a pretty mild so far but it makes everything 20% easier with no side effect. It's just a little bit easier to avoid my mind wandering off, things happen in a slightly more orderly fashion, I'm less prone to ignoring important things (tasks or projects or whatever) and changes to my routine feel like less of a big deal.

The most ADHD part of this whole thing is I have absolutely zero idea how I was matched with the study. I got a call from a patient placement company that I apparently signed up with and they just transferred me over to the research company that runs the trial in this area.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Having looked up the study it's for a drug with a lower abuse potential than stimulant drugs. That may be fine but a) stimulant drugs work and are around the most effective of any treatment for any disorder; and b) I worry a bit that this will get in the way of some people getting the best possible treatment because "stims bad".

True, but there are already what.. 3 or 4 non stimulant ADHD-ish meds being prescribed instead of stimulants for that reason. At least this one is a full blown SNDRI instead of a worthless antihypertensive or other unrelated drug.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Update: weird experimental drug is still good

More important: remembering to brush my teeth is impossible, but I put my toothbrush and toothpaste in the shower about a month ago and it's now completely natural and doesn't take any thought.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I've basically built my entire life around projects-catharsis. I'm insanely driven on projects, have dozens of hobbies (not a strong enough word) and I've built my work life to mirror that. I can't even begin to imagine how I would cope if part of that stopped working. Everything I do is in a constant state of flux and fascinated interest and I'm all over the place, and it works by design.
Took a decade to figure it out, but it works.
I also have zero availability for relationships as a result because I can't imagine sacrificing my own freedom for another person, but again, sorta designed my life around that. Maybe not a great idea but I don't have any issues with that.

e: Echoing the avoiding unhealthy ideas, which I possibly take to an unhealthy level. I have zero urge for confrontation, hate being angry or upset. I like defending ideas and working through tangible issues, but I stay far as hell from strong emotion and direct conflict with people about the usual politics/related issues. I work to avoid living in a bubble, but I know I have a hard limit and I follow it because it's just 100% bad otherwise.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 29, 2020

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

This one better one because you can't edit in E/N which isn't exactly ideal for ADHD discussion :v:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Laserface posted:

Diet soda is gross and artificial sweeteners aren't much better for you than straight up sugar/HFCS.
We shouldn't be drinking soda in general because it's bad but this is also deeply untrue and I have no idea why everybody thinks this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Same here. I find it almost impossible to start a new series, and on the rare occasion that I do, I end up either stopping after 1 episode or ending up ridiculously attached and binge watching the whole thing. I'll happily re-watch old shows I've already seen a million times though, because it's easy to have as background noise while cooking or working on a project. I hate the feeling of not being able to pay attention to plot, and just the thought of having a bunch of media I feel compelled to watch (if I start something) stresses me out.

I too am also sappy as hell and react to any emotional drama.

e: I feel sort of similarly about books (and sometimes audiobooks, though there's something different happening with my brain there most of the time) too, and that's been hugely frustrating for like ~15 years. I used to read constantly when I was a teenager. College ruined me.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 27, 2021