Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Helicon One posted:

That's until I happened to read this last year, and one section in particular:

About 11-12 years ago, I went to see someone who gave me the TOVA test, determined that, like my father, I had ADD (I'm not hyperactive, believe me), and prescribed me Dexadrine. I took that for about 3 years, but stopped, because a) I felt like I was becoming an angrier person when it would wear off, b) much faster heart rate than I was comfortable with, and c) truly believed that I could outsmart my own brain and get through it on my own.

Well, for a few years, I was more or less ok, but now I have a wife who is the exact opposite, mentally, of me with regards to ADD (seriously, she is so organized, it's incredible) and a son, and I'm dropping the ball with both of them. I don't take initiative with dealing with anything regarding his daycare, minor health problems, or anything else. I constantly forget so many things, and this is all taking a toll on my wife, who's getting frustrated more and more with every day where I screw up any number of things that come so easily to her and she has to handle everything on her own.

I don't take initiative for two reasons, I think: one is because I don't actually think of things that need to be done, but also, I think I'm subconsciously terrified of messing it up. I constantly feel anxious about making more mistakes and disappointing more and more people, especially my wife.

I'm not too proud to lie and say I didn't just break down in tears in my kitchen, all by myself, when I read what you quoted from that site, because I 100% empathise with anyone going through that. The feeling of being dumb, stupid, not good enough for anything even though you know otherwise. I feel like less of a person than I used to, like I'm just dragging everyone else down and someday I'm just going to be the biggest disappointment to my son, whom I love more than anything.

I moved to where I am about 2.5 years ago and haven't gotten a doctor yet, so I have to get on that, because I can't make all of me better on my own. I need to have mental clarity, because this fog of thoughts that's always in my head is the worst thing that's ever happened to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Baby Babbeh posted:

I empathize with every part of that. The worst part of ADHD Inattentive isn't so much the fogginess or never finishing stuff, it's the feeling that you're constantly letting everyone down in countless little ways. When it was really bad for me I used to wish that I could just sort of fake my death and disappear and be homeless somewhere, because at least that way nobody would be depending on me so I'd have nobody left to let down.

All I can tell you is that it does get better once you're in treatment. Medication isn't magic, it doesn't make all your problems go away overnight, but it at least makes the battle manageable. It's the difference between trying and failing over and over no matter how much effort you put forth, and being able to do the things you want to do with effort.

It sucks now, and it's really hard to take the first steps, but the sooner you actually speak with a doctor and get yourself started on treatment, the sooner you can get on with your life.

Yeah, I know it's not a magic solution, but in a way it is, because I know that without the fogginess, I CAN do everything that I want to do, and get through a day without being confused or forgetful (at least not to my usual degree). That, to me, is magical and I'm looking forward to it very much. I can handle life and decisions and everything if I can at least think clearly on a regular basis.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

TheBigBad posted:

Use the clarity to build habits.

You can drive a car. You don't really have to think much about it after doing it every day for a few years, but at first it was probably a night mare of procedures.
To change lanes, first check your rear-view mirror, second check your side mirror, third check your blind spot, fourth signal in the direction you are turning, fifth accellerate to 10 mph faster than the car you are passing but under the speed limit, check blind spot again, merge smoothly into lane, turn off signal, finally resume safe speed.
Now you can basically get to work, and not remember how you got there.

So build your habits, because the magic wears off as your brain adjusts to the medication.

It's funny you should use that example; just this past week, while driving to work, I missed the exit off of the highway and had to backtrack.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Well, tomorrow I start back on Dexadrine for the first time in about 10 years. I'm hoping it'll have the same effect that it used to on me, and that I don't have to start trying out new meds all the time until one clicks. Dry-mouth and slight irritability (once it wore off) aside, I really miss the absolute mental clarity I used to have while taking it. It helped put me through school and get honours, it felt like it was the backup generator engine to when I'd start to wain and sputter out. Really hoping that it can help me again.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Out of curiosity, could someone explain the emotional regulation for me?

Just my experience, but I would feel incredibly depressed when I was getting really mentally 'foggy', for lack of a better term, and when I had my moments of clarity (usually thanks to caffeine), I felt much happier. Not just more alert, but genuinely happier. If I was dealing with a problem, I had a completely different outlook on it between moods, as most people would in general. I just know that this was absolutely tied to how bad my ADD was getting.

First day back on dexadrine, and I feel like I can do anything. I don't feel like running a mile or doing anything extraneous, but I feel focused and happy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Interesting, I never noticed that, but I was already on antidepressants before I got the ADD diagnosis.

I don't consider myself a depressed person, but then again, I struggled with ADD which made me upset a lot, so... maybe that counts and I AM/WAS depressed.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah ADHD is characterized by a whole lot more than "an insufficient ability to pay attention" or hyperactivity, so its name is quite misleading to those unfamiliar with it. It's an extremely pervasive condition that subtly or significantly influences just about every single goddamn thing you ever do, because it fundamentally affects the way you think, the way you learn, and the way you process your situation and surroundings. It's a pretty hardcore cognitive embuggerance and it's really loving frustrating to see it constantly generalized and misunderstood as "ooh! A butterfly!"

Yes, all of this is exactly what having this poo poo is like.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Harrow posted:

So I took my first Adderall (20 mg extended release) about an hour and a half ago.

Is it normal to feel loving amped? Because hoo boy. I can feel energy like it's coursing up my spine. It's not unpleasant, but it's definitely very strange. Maybe no coffee today. Or for a while.

Don't do coffee, ride this out, take advantage of it, get poo poo done. Clean your house so your non-medicated version can enjoy it all later.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm on 10mg of dexadrine, and a coffee (or coke zero) here and there is alright. Whether I have some or not, though, the comedown at the end of the day sucks, because I really don't want to do anything at all. Using caffeine at that point might perk me up for a bit, but then THAT comedown is even quicker and harder, I've found.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

My version of that mistake was Ritabull.

Dexadriet Coke over here.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, I do a lot of stupid poo poo day to day, as well as some major stupid things (but more rarely). I forget a lot of things, which is also bad. My wife can understandably get upset at these things, but when she's telling me how upset she gets, I just shut down, emotionally. It's not like I don't care, because I actually do; whatever she's telling me, I understand and sympathize, and think to myself "yes, of course I should have/shouldn't have done that, and I'll do better in the future, gotta fix this", but as for contributing to the conversation, I don't, I can't , beyond saying things like "I'll try and remember that", "I can't argue because I agree with you, and am sorry", or "I don't know why I didn't think of/remember that".

Not only is she sick of me not really saying anything outside of those canned responses, but I'm also sick of only being able to offer those. Like I said, I DO mean them, but I really can't help but just completely shut down.

I think I might have to change my meds, since I don't think these are working for me anymore, or they're just actively getting in the way. I hate going 'blank', but sometimes I really can't stop it. I suck at arguments, and I'm not the type to argue even if I'm wrong (you know, just for the sake of defending myself). It's like I know I can't defend myself ir keep an argument in my head long enough, so I don't even offer anything in response to genuine concerns she brings up. I can't even think of any good responses NOW, and I'm not even being put on the spot.

I hate my brain, and I hate ADHD, if this is in fact causing this.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

i am tim! posted:

It's pretty clear that whomever put this together was only thinking about the opioid abuse and hadn't given any regard for non-opioid Schedule restricted drugs. I'm glad that they are changing the wording to address that, I wouldn't have been surprised if they had opted to say "Well that should be restricted too because DRUGS!" instead.

So... you've got two types of medicated people; those abusing the drugs, and those who aren't. The percentage of abusers is obviously much lower than that of those who don't, so.... let's punish everyone?

Thankful once again to be in Canada.

Also, thank you all for the suggestions from my earlier post. I'll look into anxiety more seriously now, because it's the kind of thing that I never thought I have until more than one person tells me that I might. Maybe I do. Anyway, thanks. :unsmith:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sub Rosa posted:

When it comes to opiates in the southeast USA, I don't think is actually correct.

http://crooksandliars.com/2016/12/nine-million-oxy-pills-one-pharmacy-town and etc

Oh.. Well... Uhh... Carry on, then. drat. :stare:

EDIT: vvv Ha, that's fair. gently caress, in my ADD-addled haze yesterday, I didn't even look at the URL.

I'm sure you can all understand :ohdear:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 10, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Well, after almost a year of on-again/off-again taking of dexadrine (1x daily 10mg), I finally brought up to my doctor that I don't think it's helping, and it really only seems to act like a steady caffeine drip that lasts for maybe 4-5 hours, and tires me out extremely afterwards. She switched me over to Vyvanse, 20mg daily. Maybe it's because it's new to me, this being the first day I've taken it, but I already feel FAR more focused than before. She even had it written into the prescription to gradually increase the dosage to 70mg, but I requested to the pharmacist that that be only handled by me, at my request, so they just put it on file in the event that I ever need it. I have to admit, the thought of doing 70mg of this each day seems like overkill and potentially dangerous, as I'm borderline jittery now, but unlike dexadrine, I'm also able to focus on far more, instead of just feeling more awake.

I'm hoping that this will be 'the one' for me, but I'm also well-aware that it's common for people to have to try out different ones to find the right fit, the most effective treatment.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Vyvanse is a prodrug so you can't just directly compare dosage to an IR stimulant. It's interesting you have such a better response to it, since Vyvanse is basically just a delivery system for dextroamphetamine, same as Dexedrine.

Thanks for the info, I had no idea! Both my doctor and pharmacist said that they're pretty similar, but the pharmacist mentioned that, in his experience with patients and customers, Vyvanse seems to be more successful. Does that make any sense?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Mikedawson posted:

Are inferiority complexes normal with ADHD? I know I have ADHD and the more I've been thinking about it, the more I realize how I pretty much always assume I am the least capable/charismatic/intelligent person in the room. Like, it takes some real scummy poo poo for me to look down on someone.

Echoing everyone else, absolutely. I mean, the only thing I'm remotely confident in are my audio-related skills, because I worked my rear end off in college and came out of it with honours. Regular high school? I think my average was about 75%. I know I'm an intelligent person but goddamn do I have a terrible memory and my mind wanders very quickly.

And god help you if you're with someone who either doesn't understand, or thinks they do. That's never helpful.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Welp, I don't like vyvanse. Gives me stomach cramps without fail every time I take it, and I don't feel it's adding anything or helping me focus. If anything, it just makes me feel more manic and excited (as it is a stimulant).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I've been kind of going back and forth between concerta (10mg) and Vyvanse (18mg). It's weird because originally, Vyvanse made me feel like absolute poo poo. Because of that, my doctor switched me to Concerta, which I felt did nothing and am probably going to up my dosage of that (which is part of my prescription). However, after running out of Concerta, I used some Vyvanse until I refilled my Concerta and wow, it's like night and day compared to last time I was on it.

What the hell happened?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Welp, today I start on Concerta 24mg. Let's see if I can somehow better manage to be a team lead! :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Anyone have any pointers or tips on how to deal with cooking with ADHD? Like, it sounds like it could be an amazing youtube series, but in short, I need to help out more around the house, mainly with cooking. My wife does practically all of it and it's causing a lot of stress for her, understandably, but also with me, but to a lesser degree.

I don't want to be like this, but I feel like I can't even consider making any sort of complicated meal, I just freeze up and my mind goes cloudy.

I feel immense mental pressure and anxiety and I want to work through this, with the help of my current dose of Concerta (27mg).

Any apps or guides or sites that any of you use?