Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Is true adderall is banned outside the US?

Here in Iceland... technically, yes? It's a illegal narcotic, and as far as I know has not been approved as a doctor-prescribed medicine. Instead, doctors prescribe Concerta or (rarely) Ritalin.

So not really a case of being banned, more a case of Concerta being used in it's place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Freudian posted:

Methylphenidate, 10mg x2 daily, I'm getting more things done but I'm also forgetting how to have emotions. I worked hard to have emotions again and I'd really like to keep them.

How long have you been on it? I've been on Methylphenidate, 18mg once daily for the past few months. The first couple of weeks I definitely felt like a bit of a zombie in the afternoons, but now that side effect is totally gone. If you stick with it, the side effects will probably go away.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

SuperiorColliculus posted:

but realistically, it's around because it doesn't harm reproductive fitness to be around (so far).

Yeah, this is definitely it. I don't buy into ADHD being any kind of advantage to anyone, but I don't think ADHD was/is any disadvantage at all to the vast, vast majority of past and present humanity - Except to the extremely minuscule part of it that lives in the modern world and is expected to sit in a classroom and study for a good chunk of the day for decades, and then get a sedentary job in a office.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah, this stuff varies a lot person to person.

I (95 kg guy in my late twenties) and my brother (like ~60kg 16 year old kid) both have ADD, and are both on Concerta. I'm on the minimum dose (18mg in a slow release pill). I still feel pretty wired for a couple of hours when the drugs kick in. If I take two (36mg) I get straight up high. My brother, who is barely 2/3rd of my weight, is on a 54mg, triple the dosage, and says he doesn't feel any side effects at all.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Concerta is pretty good, the only real downside for me is that drinking coffee with it makes me piss like a fire hydrant for some reason. :confused:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Stop drinking caffeine when you're on stimulants ya maroons

but i like it

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

BoneMonkey posted:

I've tried a lot of stuff over the years like this. The real problem I have is I just don't want to go to sleep. Being awake is to interesting.

No amount of drugs or shutting off electronics or supplements will make you want to go to sleep earlier if you don't want to. :shrug:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Dark Souls can definitely be a positive learning experience for someone with ADD - The core theme of the game is perseverance in the face of failure, after all. Getting up to try, try again and accepting your failures with serenity is a wholesome thing. However, it can just as easily become a pointless, gigantic waste of time and source of procrastination.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Just remember that it's really unlikely that asking too much will have any negative effect. When in doubt, just :justpost: . Also, if you haven't already, just have a frank and open discussion with your s/o about how you feel, and explain to her that you care a lot, even if you don't ask as much as you probably should.

Unrelated - Concerta is great, it helps me focus. Overall, it's a good thing for me. But sometimes, it make me hyperfocus on procrastination like I'm doing right now

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I started getting a lot more poo poo done at work, I started spending more of my free time doing something specific instead of mucking about reddit, and I started talking less and listening more during group conversations.

Oh and also my meds made me loving high as poo poo for the first couple of weeks, so that was a pretty good indication they were doing something, too.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

BoneMonkey posted:

but now we both are sorting our poo poo, its pretty good.

I read that as "snorting our poo poo", thought, "what the gently caress, that is terrible advice", and had to do a double take.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Keret posted:

How do you guys chase away the demons when you want to actually do things?

I've got a 4 day weekend due to Thanksgiving and I want to do some things, both things I need to get done but also some stuff I just genuinely want to do (I think). But, it's so hard to actually start doing things. I don't even have many things I want to get done, but I already feel overwhelmed just thinking about it; it's ridiculous. It's like I am literally paralyzed when the time comes to actually do the stuff I've planned in my head, even if it's something I'm supposed to enjoy.

Make a to-do list, preferably with big satisfying checkboxes you can physically mark, where you break down all the stuff you need to do into the smallest sub-tasks you possibly can. As you finish each subtask, mark the list with a pen.

Need to clean the floor of your home?
-Remove clutter from living room floor
-Remove clutter from bedroom floor
-Remove clutter from kitchen floor
-Remove clutter from bathroom floor
-Sweep living room
-Sweep....
-Mop living room
-Mop....

You just turned one decent sized task into twelve relatively trivial subtasks - But your brain doesn't loving know. Your brain is dumb as hell. The part of your brain that made the to-do list and the part of your brain that floods your body with feelgood drugs when you finish a task aren't talking to each other. The latter is just loving stocked that you finished a task, but you hacked it so that you have ten times more tasks and finish each one in a matter of minutes.

For extra motivation, you can put a small reward in between every few tasks - A cup of coffee, a cigarette, a cookie, whatever. Be sure to put that on the list though, and check it off after you're done with it!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Grape posted:

I got a new doctor and switched to Concerta. Reasonably low dose for the moment.

I feel a lot more ....even than I ever did on 40mg Vyvanse. There's an extremely low key crash period too, even makes me feel kind of happily sedated on the come down sometimes which is oddly nice.
Overall it's at the point that I sometimes wonder if I'm even being effected at all, like I don't actively feel altered by it most of the time like I did Vyvanse, but then I'll realize I did things that I probably wouldn't have done off meds.

But isn't that the idea? Of what a med SHOULD do for you? Just make you feel... normal? And not like an ADD person? Like it should be un-flashy and ordinary in effect?

18mg Concerta here, been on that dose for the past couple of years.

The side effects from Concerta fade relatively quickly over a matter of weeks. I'm super sensitive to them - 18mg of Concerta would make me tweak out in the morning and then crash hard in the afternoon to begin with - But now I barely feel a thing, except I'm actually productive at work, enjoy housework, and am just overall calmer and more content.

The only real side effect I feel these days is that I have to be careful with my coffee consumption, even relatively little caffeine makes me jittery and anxious. I used to drink five or so cups of coffee per day, these days if I drink more than two I feel pretty bad.

So - I guess the answer is for me, yes, Concerta just makes me a content and functional adult human person. I'd say if it's having a similar effect on you, you've probably found your drug.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Grape posted:

Funny you should mention the coffee because I had some today (first time since Concerta) and whoa nelly I felt like piss! Which is fine because I've been trying to reduce my acidic drink intake lately.

But yeah this is all nice to hear, only problem is for some reason even the generic is really pricey compared to Vyvanse.

Be wary of generic Concerta - The generic sold where I live, Methylphenidate Sandoz, is loving poison. It makes me nauseous and give me the shits something fierce.

I kinda thought that I was imagining it, or that taking the generic just coincided with me catching a stomach bug - But the next time I filled the prescription, I asked the pharmacist about it, and apparently this is a really common complaint. My local FDA-analog is considering pulling it off the market. It's so severe that most doctors just flat out tell people to not get the generic, which sucks, because it's half as expensive. Apparently the medication itself is fine, but something about the pill filler or the... uh, retardation agent? The thing that makes the pill extended release? is off.

Bear in mind though that this is just this one brand, I have no idea what offbrand Concerta your local drugstore might carry and that brand might be just fine.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

They use Concerta here, which is basically adderall but better and less abusable.

Also, tolerance hits a plateau, don't worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

One of the symptoms of SSRI withdrawal is intense and vivid dreams. My wife has similar experiences (sans kicking and screaming, though) whenever she runs out. This is pretty normal (if unpleasant) and entirely due to the Paxil withdrawal.