Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
Well after suspecting for a while that I had adhd I finally saw a therapist. We talked for a while and my wife and I filled out some surveys. I apparently fit the bill for nearly every single item on the list.

It's a little bit of a relief to know that it's not entirely my fault that I do a lot of the things I do, but I know it's not an excuse either.

Now I need to see if my work allows stimulants to be taken, since they have some heavy restrictions on things in the DEA orange book.

I'm really hoping it helps with the auditory processing and memory issues, as those are a big problem point in my relationship. Also being a huge procrastinator at work. I still get my job done and am apparently a high performer, but I think I just mask it well, or the bar isn't too high here or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Yeah he wants me to start on meds so I'm more likely to be successful with things like cognitive behavioral therapy.

I'm going to get a pile of note books so I will always have one on me. One of my big issues is that I am unable to really focus when someone is talking to me so I don't retain it. Sometimes I have to have people repeat things like 5 times event if right next to me. (aside from just forgetting, probably). So I am hoping that increased focus will at least get me able to remember to write things down.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I'm being prescribed Vyvanse, hopefully it doesn't turn me into a (bigger) dickhead than I can be at times. Probably going to wind up with a booster too of something since I'm awake for like 17 hours a day.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Well I've been on Vyvanse 30mg for two whole days now.

It seems to work well for 6 to 7 hours and taper off after that. I still feel better afterward though from the reduced stress during the day, so that helps a lot too. It has been slow paced at work, so I don't have much to compare to yet.

I get in these fugue states where I just sit there and know I need to do something but just can't bring myself to even get up. I haven't had those at all, which is great.

The world just feels....calmer, I guess. I don't feel like I'm being inundated 24/7 with more than I can handle. I feel like I have a moment to pause before reacting to situations, which is great, and I don't feel the overwhelming urge to talk over people and spew out all my thoughts that I "just have to say".

We'll see how things go at home this weekend, since it is worn off by the time I get home from work. Hoping for good things.

I'm getting a new primary doc, because mine seems to care more about saving his own time since he's always running late, and has terrible bedside manner. My therapist recommend someone he really likes that understands all of this stuff.

Therapist says I have some good coping mechanisms already but I need to work a lot on relationship issues more than anything else.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Join the club, I'm almost 34. I think it's fairly common due to add being "just hyper active boys having no attention span from playing games and watching TV", instead of it being the more highly recognized medical issue it is now.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I feel like a junkie because I already know I need a booster for the latter part of the day. I am functional at work now, but the effects have been gone for a while by the time I get home with the kids from daycare, so I still wind up back as the foggy, forgetful, distracted, irritable, old me, which causes so much strife with my spouse.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I've been on meds for 3 days so far. The therapist said most people only get 6 to 8 hours on Vyvanse. That hardly covers a full day at work, let alone the next 6 to 8 hours I'm still up and moving.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Thanks for the suggestions Turn off the TV. I'll mention to my therapist this week.
At work I'm just generally unproductive some of the time. At home, the negative outcome of being unmedicated is much worse. Also significant more distraction sources and so many more things to keep track of.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have no artificial drive after a few days, but I do things when I know they need doing, instead of horrible procrastination. I guess the ADHD mantra is "just do it" ( or you'll forget about it and get in trouble later)

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck me. I've read that there can be some adjustment time required for Vyvanse, and I must be in the middle of it right now.

Saturday out with the kids was good, but by the time I got back home it had worn off. Back to the regular old self, and getting in arguments because I'm overwhelmed with input in a busy household, forgetting things, etc. After some stuff I don't feel like getting into here, I have been mostly incredibly depressed other than a few breaks here and there.

I see my therapist on Wednesday so hopefully he has some more advice but I feel like poo poo. I just want to curl up in a ball and turn my brain off.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Welp, I learned a few valuable things.

Must take meds right after waking up every day, so I minimize stuff like this morning's horrible feelings. Not long after my last post, the meds kicked in, they take about an hour+.

I feel much much better now. This means that I definitely will need something to help with the rest of the day, as I will wear off by 1pm or so at the latest and still have 9+ hours to go, most days or I'll still feel like poo poo.

Time to call therapist, and doctor after that I suppose.

I never took any meds besides antibiotics and allergy meds before all this, so this is all very new to me.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I am exceptionally lucky in that I get an hour for lunch, so I go run 3 to 5 miles, come back, change, and get back to my desk job where I only see a few people in person, at most. This is 2 days a week, on a good week along with a very long run on the weekend with my youngest in the stroller.

I'd run every single day if I could, as it calms and energizes me significantly, the farther, the better. I get twitchy when my schedule gets such that I can't run, but I accept that poo poo happens and is out of my control sometimes.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

On normal days I sense a gradual reduction in focus over about an hour to two, back to my unmedicated baseline. I did have some weird reaction​ (mega anxiety / sadness) over the weekend after having just started on it a few days prior. Seems fine now. Started taking it earlier in the morning than I was, although now the last part of the workday is low productivity.

Trying to establish with a new PCP that is supportive, but first choice not taking my insurance. Second isn't taking on more patients on controlled substances.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Ugh I haven't run at all this week yet. Can't wait to do it tomorrow, supposed to be 98!

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I had weird poo poo happen after not quite a week over the course of 2 days or so, now I'm fine. Therapist said I may have started on too high a dose and just adjusted. Vyvanse 30 for me.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I've wondered about switching to whatever booster I will wind up with as a single script, but so far I really like the slow build/fade of Vyvanse. Gives me time to know it is coming and make sure I work more on self awareness than a sharper dropped would give.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Astrofig posted:

Adderall made me super-angry, Concerta gave me panic attacks and Strattera just made me queasy. Vyvanse is a godsend but holy gently caress is it expensive.

Man, you aren't kidding. I'm going to hit OOP max even faster next year

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Well I'm on a CDHP plan. Until I hit my deductible, I pay full price ($300+) per month. After that, it is fairly cheap. After I max, it is free. With other family medical issues, we tend to Max by May at the latest. This just means we may Max by March instead. Overall total paid is still the same and our OOP Max is reasonable considering how much is covered by insurance for the average year.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

So far I really like Vyvanse. It is time released, which gives me about 6 hours of ability to actually do work, even things I don't like that much. I will need to try a booster later on once I establish with a new doc. Apparently Vyvanse is less prone to be habit-forming since there is no "high" assoc with it. I feel no different, just "motivated" and don't drag like a rock with low energy.

I benefit a lot from the following:

Have a day/week planner. Write stuff immediately in it.

Have a notebook or books for different things. Mine are Work, Therapy, Home

I use the business calendar 2 app on my Android phone, purely for the custom notification tones. I set alarms/events for everything I may need.

I also taught myself some Google apps script to auto generate some events for me based on a few Gmail filters, like daycare telling me to bring diapers.

At bedtime, I review and synch my planner, app calendar, and my wife's calendar. In the morning and at night I have a script to follow. (kids clothes, make lunches, take meds, etc) and at night it is (get things ready for morning, dinner prep for next day, etc)

That being said, I still mess up, especially when the meds wear off, but it helps a lot.

If you're lacking motivation, you need the meds to help you GET the motivation. The rest will get a bit easier after that. I have tried and failed variations of all of the above before being diagnosed, but could never be consistent. It isn't your fault, but you are responsible for doing something about it now that you know.

Beastyfella fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 8, 2017

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I must be weird, those don't do anything for me at all. The little fidget cubes, too.

Sometimes I'll roll a pencil between my knuckles, but that's about it. Wish I could run every day though, that tends to help out more than anything.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

What about going outside early in the morning or evening? I know you have the humidity to contend with there, but you can still get some kind of outdoor exercise. I still plan on running during lunch on Thursday and it's supposed to be 105+ in the desert.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Use a foam roller, do calf raises, etc. They should go away soon.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I meant the shin splints will go away soon. Yeah the gym is fine, I just hate treadmills.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I feel like my 30mg Vyvanse isn't as effective as a couple months ago when I started it. Got a doctor appt next week to look into a booster.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I'm kind of in a similar position. I've been seeing my therapist for a few months now and we've sort of hit all the high points of things to do

Meditation, notebooks, schedules, reminders, etc.

We've also talked a lot about all the crap going on in my personal life, and how it intertwines with the ADHD too for some of it.

I have varying success with everything, and working on improving where I can, but am not sure what to do next. It feels more like he wants to talk about personal life issues, but there aren't always enough things going on to fill a session so I asked about going down to every other week.

Is there ongoing stuff related to cognitive behavioral therapy or something else we can do in office? It gets old sometimes talking about the second issues over and over, or is that the whole point?

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Yeah that's pretty much my plan for next week. Thanks for the confirmation!

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Don't you know, anything brain related is either all in your head, beatable if you just try hard, you lazy rear end in a top hat, and everyone has issues like these sometimes...ugh.

On a side note, this has been the best week I've had in quite a while. Been managing my emotions really well, energy into the late afternoon, etc. I'm hoping that it stays like this for a while, but I'm only halfway through my slightly increased dose change of Vyvanse.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Any of you goons see this and think there's something to it?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1571399980/neuroplus-improve-focus-with-brain-sensing-headset/description

I know that ADHD is managed by a combination meds and therapy, with meds seeming to be the most important of the two.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Yes overstimulation is a big thing with adhd, at least for me. Makes me lose my focus and feel really lost sometimes.

You may need to try different meds since they don't all work for everyone the same way.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Weird how meds affect people differently. For me I don't really feel any different on Vyvanse, but have the ability to focus better, so long as there isn't an overwhelming amount of distraction going on (often true at home unfortunately).

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Ugh, my meds got messed up since the prior authorization for 2x daily switch. Been without anything for 3 days and it is a harsh reminder of how things were prior to getting on Vyvanse.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Night and day! I feel much better today back on my 20mg twice a day. No more feeling like curling in a ball and sleeping all day long!

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

From what I can tell I have no additional anxiety, freedom to choose to focus, and I sleep like a rock. I just need the effects to last from 630am till 8pm or so. 20 mg twice daily seems to help so far 6am and 3pm

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Off to my primary today to discuss dosing of my Vyvanse and how I'm doing after about 6 months. My therapist got lung cancer over the holidays and so now I need to find a new one and start from scratch, too...

Was on 40 mg once daily but it didn't get me anywhere close enough to a full day. We tried splitting it into two 20 mg doses. While the effect lasts longer from the afternoon dose, I've found that I have a significant amount of "lump on a log" mornings that feel very much how I did prior to getting on any meds. Brain fog, irritability, hard to self motivate.

I have taken an extra 20mg a time or two from a small stock of forgotten afternoon pills and the difference is huge. I'm going to ask if we can try bumping up to 30mg in the morning and stick with 20mg in the afternoon or something.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Haha, caffeine. The caffeine does nothing, you're just dehydrated.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I built up a tolerance to Vyvanse super fast until the point that the side effects massively outweighed the benefits. Seems to work really well for some people though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

car dance posted:

If you can answer, how much were you taking and what kind of side effects did you have? I am taking 20mg, switching to 30mg this month. I took literally every secondary med (Strattera, Clonidine, and Guanfacine) and had wild side effects on all of them, but I haven't felt a single side effect from Vyvanse besides a little "high" as I start a higher level of the meds.

I think at the end I was around 70mg, if I recall correctly. It's been a few years since I have taken it. I started around 20-30mg or so.

I disengage pretty hard and have a lot of trouble getting motivated, but none of the major stimulants seemed to work for me. I was basically a blob in a chair for big parts of the day. The Vyvanse helped with that the most but I got to the point that I was having panic attacks and rapid heart rate.

I've had the most long term success with Bupropion, coffee, and recently started taking a pretty hefty Omega-3 supplement, which really seems to have helped with motivation a lot. I can't think of any other changes that happened at the same time, but man I've felt a lot better since I started the supplement too.