Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I have a Nook Touch Glow that should be here any say and I'm very excited about it. It will be my 4th e-ink reader. It is a completely different experience from reading a PDF on a computer screen. Even something like an iPad I find insufferable. E-ink isn't backlit, doesn't have the subconscious flicker of a refresh rate, and so on.

Today was my Day 1 on 20mg Vyvanse which is the first medication my Pdoc is having me try, and I'm very much looking forward to being better able to read. In the past even with an e-ink reader I often stare at the same screen for 25 minutes and then realize I'm not actually reading. Or when I pick it up I would always consistently start a new book instead of finishing an older one. Looking forward to finishing books.

And I also am going to root it and hopefully start using Google Calendar or some other Android App to start organizing my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'm pretty much doing CBT with my therapist, and his opinion is that without also being medicated it isn't very effective for ADHD since ADHD is a performance disorder. Without medication, CBT does wonderful things for depression, anxiety, and phobias. For ADHD, CBT does wonderful things with medication.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

How quickly did your Pdoc titrate your medication up? Mine started me at 20mg Vyvanse and then kept me there my second month. When I told him I was expecting him to titrate me upwards he started going on about dependence and it being a red flag that I would ask for more.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

prefect posted:

When you get poo poo done that you haven't been able to get done, the "lonely" feeling is replaced by "holy poo poo, this is great!" You'll dig it. :)

When does that start?

So far I've found Vyvanse to be great for what it does, and what it does is something I feel I needed. But so far for me it still hasn't done the least bit about what I really find to be the most crippling aspect of ADHD: the inability to properly weight long term consequences/reward of actions.

My brain is much more effective now, and I'm more likely to finish things I start. But I'm still only starting things that feel like they are immediately rewarding and novel, and I still can't get myself to do things that are :effort: now for no immediate reward but lots of long-term reward (like working on my resume, reading Getting Things Done, implementing organizational scheme). I know those are the things I should be doing, but I still just can't get myself to do them because the reward/consequences just aren't real to my mind.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

The meds only give you the ability to change your behavior and have it stick. You still need to put the effort in to actually make it happen.

My entire life I'd been called lazy and told I just need to try harder.

Then I found out I have ADHD, and it isn't my fault, it is chemicals/etc in my brain.

And now I'm called lazy and told I just need to try harder.

Seriously, gently caress you, I'm saying the meds aren't giving me that ability.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Your therapist also believes that adhd is a "performance" issue that shouldn't be treated with medication, and you're already asking your doctor to bump you up barely 2 months after you started trying the medication. It's really loving tough to find a medication that works and you have to try a lot of different kinds, but asking for an increase in dosage to get the high feeling people get with the initial usage is not okay.

My therapist most certainly doesn't believe that ADHD shouldn't be treated with medication, he believes that talk therapy is ineffective without appropriate medication.

I in no sense asked my Pdoc to bump up my medication because I want to be high. I never had any initial euphoria from Vyvanse, and I'm not confusing euphoria for effectiveness. I wanted my dosage increased because the duration of effectiveness was much shorter than advertised, and because I was well aware that he started me on the lowest prescribable dose, which itself was 10mg lower than what people usually are started on, with the express idea that we would start at the bottom then titrate up to find the appropriate dose. He then didn't titrate me up for my second month at all, even though I had legitimate complaints about the duration of effect.

If you are going to bother to check my post history, you shouldn't misrepresent me.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

keykey posted:

This is where you come in, if anybody else in this thread has had this type of ADHD, what helped you out the most?

Drugs. All the other things that help I just couldn't get myself to do without fixing the biochemistry. I'm still having trouble getting the non-drug systems in place myself and really wish all this had been understood when I was a child so that I could have had my parents / teachers implementing structures around me that were effective so that it would have been easier or more natural to begin taking responsibility for maintaining those systems rather than designing and implementing them on my own as an adult.

keykey posted:

I understand the individual answer is going to differ, but I guess I'm looking for a broad generalization at this point. Also, did other stimulants help ie caffeine? I've heard that caffeine can help a little bit, however self admittedly, I have only looked into that for about an hour or so.

Caffeine doesn't do nothing, and I used to drink a lot of it before I realized I had ADD, but it is a very "dirty" feeling stimulant and once you get the quantities I would drink down to feel the same clearness of mind you also get a whole lot of peripheral stimulation: jittery shakes.

There are a lot of taboos about stimulant drugs because they are scheduled substances and they are abusable. But they really are a very appropriate medication for ADHD and at the doses taken for ADHD (as apposed to those taken by those who would abuse them for recreation) they are safe to take daily long term. I don't have a very good relationship with my parents, and they still won't talk to me about the school meetings that were done about me and my behavior at a very early age. They wouldn't even tell me my first grade tested IQ until a few months ago. I don't really know what was or wasn't caught or when, but my life has been very frustrating having to luck out on learning more than most people know about ADHD by accident from an E/N thread here on SA I randomly clicked. I can't begin to tell you how much I wish I had been medicated at a much earlier age. Also for all those supportive structures that are required to be in place much earlier as well, but again those structures are just something else to oppose without the neurochemistry being there to make it possible.

As for people in this thread telling you your kid sounds autistic because he is interested in things, your kid sounds just like me, and it was something I wondered after myself. But ultimatley there were a lot of traits of Aspergers that I don't have, and the traits that I do have really were better explained by ADD. I love knowledge and learning which of course isn't a disorder, and so I get immediate enjoyment out of studying whatever it is right now that I'm interested in. So doing work researching that particular thing is easy and enjoyable. Right until that moment when I lose interest in favor of some knew interesting thing that I start deep researching for a while. Trying to force me to do my actual homework instead of self assigned homework on what I actually wanted to learn would just never work.

And that is something to understand about comorbid ODD. ODD ADD people usually aren't oppositional for it's own sake, our brains are really forcing us to do the thing that is most immediately stimulating or rewarding. We chemically can't properly weigh long term rewards and consequences on the same balance as short term rewards/consequences. That ends up looking like oppositional behavior when the activity in question I'm being asked to do isn't rewarding in and of itself. I think Russel Barkley says that everyone who has ADHD is already only one checkbox away from ODD, and it is pretty easy for that checkbox to get checked when the structures around an ADHD person isn't working with the disorder. So I wouldn't be looking for a seperate treatment for the ODD at this point for those reasons.

In general I suggest you educate yourself more about the disorder. Watch some Russel Barkley vidoes on YouTube. Read Driven to Distraction and/or Delivered From Distraction. And remember it is a highly genetic disorder. I didn't just realize I had it, I realized my Dad had it, which helped me forgive him for some things.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

fyallm posted:

Does anyone else while reading things on the internet (more specially threads on SA) randomly highlight / random fast click on words while reading the thread?

Is this going to be another one of those things I say "Doesn't everybody?" about just to find out nope?

More the highlighting, but the clicking is sort of a way of highlighting.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

HondaCivet posted:

Herp I'm a derp. I have a high-deductible health care plan so basically the "copay" was my drug plan charging me their full price for the meds. I just got confused because of the word "copay" which usually means "nice small happy fake number" and not full price. It's probably too late in the year for me to ever meet the deductible though so :(

This is insurance through my job too. Why is it so baaaaaad

That isn't baaaaaad. HDHCPs are great. If you are on one, that should also mean that you have an HSA (health savings account) that you are able to put tax free dollars into with which to pay for all your medical bills. The way are supposed to work is that since the premium is so low (because the deductible is so high) the remainder of the money you would otherwise be paying for healthcare (which otherwise would have went to the health insurance company) goes in your HSA. The exact amount to have taken out is the size of your yearly max deductible divided by the number of checks you get in a year.

If you had been doing that, you would be really happy that you aren't going to meet the deductible this year, because all that money in your HSA is still there next year, and you can start putting even less money into your HSA. Or just the same amount until your HSA has as much money as your deductible. Also on HDHCPs once you've paid your yearly deductible, they pay everything else. So healthy people end up having great catastrophic insurance with low low monthly health costs once the HSA is replete. Also, the money in your HSA can be invested with also no tax on the returns. So really you can see it as a separate Roth IRA dedicated to healthcare costs. I seem to think you can even pay COBRA premiums out of your HSA if you were to separate from your job.

It only seems like bad insurance if you don't understand the HSA upside or realize that your monthly premium is lower. You say it is employer provided, so I would check with your employer to see if they do some sort of HSA matching, as most employers who have switched to them do so on account of the much cheaper premium. And still they end up saving crazy money because people like you aren't taking them up on their free money.

HondaCivet posted:

I only took 10mg though, isn't that pretty small for an adult dose? Should I take two of them tomorrow instead?

So it worked exactly like you wanted it to and so now you want to double it?

Follow your prescriber's instructions. You were given 2x a day, but you never said why. Is it as needed? Was that to get around having to see you once a month?

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Aug 30, 2012

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I haven't been formally diagnosed by a sleep doctor, but I really fit Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder. I remember reading somewhere that it is often comorbid with ADHD. I think the chicken/egg thing is really interesting about if or whether people with one disorder can just appear to have the other compared to them being separate disorders that are in fact separate but related in some way that causes them to appear together.

I'm still working with my treatment team on further assessment to try to rule out or pin comorbid conditions, and one thing that came up was Non Verbal Learning Disorder. It has a similar sort of weirdness with comordity / are these actually seperate things or part of the same thing.

I've wondered if I've had Aspergers at different points but mostly felt I'm too empathic to be on the Autism spectrum and that ADHD addressed enough if not all of the things I had previously wondered about. NVLD is something that is weirdly similar to Aspergers, enough that some people think they are different presentations of the same disorder, but some descriptions have mutually exclusive symptoms. The thing is I feel I have some of the symptoms that are found in NVLD that are typical of Aspergers (difficulty judging how far away a car is on the highway when merging), but also there are aspects of NVLD that don't fit me (I was good at math as a kid for example).

So I really sort of end up at this point where I not only don't know what I am, but it seems like I have a grab bag of letters that I can pull from that together in various configurations sort of roughly describe me but none are perfect. ADHD-PI / NVLD? AS / DSPD? ADHD-PI / DSPD / NVLD? AS / ADHD-PI / DSPD? And I know the answer is "this is why there are professionals" but honeslty my perspective as a patient is that all the tests they have are really rough guidance as well and ultimately it is really only their best guess as well.

Very frustrating. Also my Psychiatrist thinks I have Obsessive Compulsive Personalty Disorder and I don't and my Psychologist doesn't either, so they aren't agreeing. So much for a second opinion!

But I was warned that this is a process that can take a long time, I guess. Just the deeper I go down the rabbit hole the more I feel like this broken holding pattern I call a life is never going to get better, and that I'm really far worse off than I thought when I sought help to begin with.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Goddamn posted:

So uhh... how many of you guys did and didn't get messed up as kids?

That's pretty vague. I'm presuming you mean substance abuse? How old are young are you meaning when say kids? I will say I never had so much of a sip or puff of anything as a legal minor, and I never got over the taste of beer enough to drink it until my mid-twenties.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Goddamn posted:

Oh whoops, nah I meant as in having neglectful or abusive parents. Not to make it sound like I'm throwing out the "Issues? Must've been your family!" card at all, I'm just curious since every once in a while I hear about people having issues like mine having similar backgrounds, and it's not a kind of discourse that's had much. (And for the record I did not substance abuse anything either)

Well, nobody's family is ideal of course, but I feel like mine was leagues ahead of most people around me. We were (are) poor as gently caress, but having learned about so many of my friend's upbringings I feel pretty blessed. I mean, I wish they had fed me more real food and less boxes of processed crap and sugar water. And then there are things like having never gone to the Dentist in my life because there wasn't the money. And of course I feel like in a lot of ways I feel like coming from a poor family meant I was disadvantaged in endless ways, including having all these things overlooked until my late twenties.

But yeah, certainly not abusive, and not neglectful beyond not having a lot of resources.

Edit: Though I will say when I look at all those friends families that are even more hosed, of course I just sigh and wonder what array of undiagnosed poo poo is going on in each person, and compounding as they inter-relate. I just now finally got one of my oldest closest friend to seek mental health services after nudging and nudging and pushing and almost threatening to sever if she didn't seek help because the collateral damage was getting too high.

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 11, 2012

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

HondaCivet posted:

Actually, is anyone on Vyvanse? I've heard it often helps a lot with anxiety.

I am, but I've never had issues with anxiety. It's basically an extended release Dexedrine.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I really have personally found that it's luck of the draw. In my neck of the woods the advise I would give is avoid therapists with MSWs but on the other hand Psychologists with PsyDs seem to be better than those with PhDs.

But just like anything else, it sort of comes down to how you get along with a person once they reach a certain level of competence. How rare that level is itself may vary greatly from place to place.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Interstitial Abs posted:

This is in no way directed at you, totally at myself, but I've been saying the "can't afford" line for awhile and I've been wondering if I need to take the tact I use to buy a new _____ for a bike. If I really want it I ask "How many beers or nights out would it take to get this?"

I'm starting to realize my mental health is worth the same cutting back! :v:

Again this may vary by area but where I go because of some grants I think they can't stop seeing me because I don't pay my bill. They also can't report my nonpayment to credit reporting agencies or sell to a debt collector due to confidentiality and disclosure laws. They never actually presented me with a bill ever. I think they really just keep track because having a number helps in writing grants which is where they get their actual funding.

I don't think this is something widely publicized, and it may be difficult to figure out if that is how a place operates from the outside, but it does go to show that inability to pay can be a faulty excuse in not seeking help.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

How was day 1 off though? Was that reaction immediate or did it get worse after a couple of days? Because I get to the end of the month and have spare Vyvanse but don't remember forgetting taking it.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I never noticed it, but everybody else could!

I think that's how I feel when I forget to take it. I mean, I'm sure there would be an externally noticeable difference. If I didn't just sit alone by myself in my room on a computer all day.

I didn't realize just how difficult it is dealing with psychs that manage ADD meds because I've been going to the same doc for like 8 years, but I have a friend with a recent diagnosis and it took her like a month to find a doctor that could even see her, and he's booked out 4 months in advance. And they booked her next appointment with the wrong doctor, so she has to wait until november to be seen.

Also, presuming US, it should be noticed that Schedule II drugs can't have refills, so you have to see your Pdoc once a month. I'd hate for your friend to get one month of meds and then again be stuck waiting for months. I'm seeing my Pdoc tomorrow and I already have another appointment with him in a month for that reason.

Interstitial Abs posted:

the worst they can say is "no" to any accommodation and then you're back to where you were now, so no new loss.

Again, presuming US, the Americans with Disabilities Act requires accommodations be made. They don't have to be the specific accommodations you want, but they have to be reasonable.

Actually, I'm coming to terms with the notion that I am more disabled than I ever wanted to admit. I think tomorrow I'm going to tell my Therapist that I want to start moving forward on SSI. As mentioned before I have comorbidities and not just ADHD, but does anyone have experience in trying get SSI for mental disability? It's feeling like yet another one of those things that would have been easier and should have been done when I was a kid.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Interstitial Abs posted:

Does that apply to college though?
IANAL, but yes, it does. If a school is private and accepts no government funds whatsoever it is still covered by Title III of the ADA. If it receives any government funds Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act also applies.

Interstitial Abs posted:

I would never tell anyone what direction to take or fault them for assistance, but aren't there like poo poo tons of working restrictions if you do SSI?
Since SSI is a needs based program, it makes sense that you stop getting it if you no longer need it. There are lots of different ways that pans out. If you make too much money one month, it may mean you aren't entitled to a check that month, but you are still a beneficiary. If you are able to gain and keep a level of employment for a period of time and at a level sufficient to make you no longer eligible for SSI, but then later (within a certain period of time) are no longer able to continue at the level because of your medically demonstrable condition, it will be easier to have your benefits reinstated than they were to initially receive. The Ticket to Work program is all about trying to enable beneficiaries to transition from SSI to self sufficiency.

I think it is worth noting that there is a difference between SSDI and SSI. SSDI is for people who were able to work and payed into the system. It is like insurance. You lose it if your income hits a certain level. SSI on the other hand is need based, and eligibility is based in part on assets. So you can't have more than $2000 in the bank. With SSI actually you can work quite a bit and still receive benefits. After the first $65 every dollar you earn subtracts 50 cents from your check. So you always still are better off working than not working to the extent you are able on SSI. (At least in terms of SSI. Medicaid eligibility muddies this picture for some people and in certain states.)

So. Not only do I think I should be eligible I think that without assistance I'm never going to be able to pull my life out of where it is. I need help in more ways that I was prepared to admit when I first decided to seek help. But I still see it as part of a bridge to a better life and not something I want to be resigned to for rest of my life.

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 25, 2012

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Honestly the reason I ask if anyone else has been through it is that I think I may still be confused about some of the differences between SSDI and SSI myself. And for all the ridiculous amount of alphabet soup that is my tentative growing diagnosis sheet I don't think I have any that are explicitly in their guidebook so it could still be a long battle for me.

Another big part of it is that I went through this huge grieving process around accepting that I had ADHD to begin with. Part of what let me cope with that initially was the thought that with treatment I could be one of those stories I had read about people with adult ADHD who got treatment and turned their lives around in short order. At this point I'm having to accept that I need to drastically reign in what are meaningful lifetime goals. Like just being able to sustainably manage to live independently.

Sorry if this is getting E/Nish. Sometimes I think about starting a thread there but honestly half the time E/N scares the hell out of me when I lurk there.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

signalnoise posted:

40mg vyvanse is making me productive as poo poo

I know people always say that amphetamines working is not evidence of having ADHD in itself because they also work for people without ADHD.

But what does it mean when they don't work? I'm taking 40 mg Vyvanse and it doesn't make me productive in the slightest. I'm three or four days into a holiday and I've had no noticeable withdrawals and pretty minimal noticeable.

I sort of feel like the medicine is treating a symptom I don't have right now, but would have if I was employed or in school if that makes any sense. My life doesn't currently answer to an external structure, and the other aspects of deficits in executive functioning mean that I'm still entirely poo poo at creating and enforcing internal structure because the medicine doesn't touch those areas of executive functioning.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Phyzzle posted:

My psychologist emphasized that stimulants work better when you stop taking them over holidays. They work very differently from antidepressants, as there is no benefit to having them build up in your system. By taking breaks from stimulants, or temporary reductions, you can remove tolerance and make them work a little better. (Same with coffee, really.)

He also said that catdrugs are not that effective for procrastination and disorganization. They simply prevent "derailment" when you're already paying attention to something.

Yeah, that's what I mean when I say I'm taking a holiday, I've stopped taking it for a few days to see how I feel differently in terms of the problems I feel I have and to see if I have withdrawals like has been reported for the same dose of the same drug in the past couple of pages.

I think the comment on derailment is right on, but is that also saying there is no medication for those other aspects of the disorder?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

TheBigBad posted:

Here is your prescription for- RIDING BIKES!

I was actually never able to learn how to whistle, swim, or ride a bicycle. Not sure about the whistling, but the other two I think fit the spatial deficits of NVLD.

Phyzzle posted:

Whatever procrastination is not treated by the drugs has got to be inseparable from the built up pessimism due to fretting over your past failures.

HondaCivet posted:

Sometimes I wish the meds did more for procrastination and such but at the same time I think I'd be kind of scared of a drug that makes me WANT to do boring poo poo.

This is leaning heavily on Dr. Barkley: I see it as my mind weighs immediate novelty, reward, and consequence into decision making, but I'm blind to non-immediate reward and consequences. The very things I procrastinate about are things that have non-immediate reward and consequence. They only ever get done at the last minute because it is only at the last minute that the non-immediate becomes immediate.

Russel Barkley explaining that pattern and calling it ADHD is what led me to seek treatment to begin with. But that also means it is a characteristic neurological defect of ADHD that can't be waved away with psychoanalytic theory-crafting. So I guess that means I need to back down the rabbit hole again and try to learn more about the neurology and neurochemistry involved. But it isn't a drug that makes me want to do boring poo poo, it's that I want a drug that makes me want to do the things that will bring long term value into my life even though they may be boring in the moment.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

While I'm not in any way a cheerleader for Vyvanse, just going to throw out for what it's worth that I haven't found it has effected my mood. I might say I've found it easier to cry but I've always been a sucker for tv shows and media that go straight for the tear ducts. Olympics had so many inspirational stories, Friday Night Lights is a damned good TV show, Vile Rat...

Over the course of my life I have had long episodes of depression, and my life currently has plenty of things I could be depressed about, but my mood is really pretty neutral.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Most people don't get any real benefit from it.

If most means 30% in your world, sure. At least that's what I gather from my reading. The thing about Strattera is that the first month is often poo poo and has weird side effects but once you hit thirty days it is smooth sailing. My Pdoc dismissed it as possibly having liver toxicity problems, but I'm thinking I want to try it as well.

I'm also interested in Intuniv perhaps as a supplemental. I'd need to find patient assistance programs for them though.

Zedlic posted:

Omega-3? Low-carb? Gluten free? No sugars?

I'm a proponent of removing linoleic acid, gluten, and fructose from the diet. Linoleic acid is the Omega-6 we are getting too much of that is loving up our O3/O6 ratio. It is found in vegetable oils other than coconut, palm, and olive. Gluten is in wheat. Fructose is in sugar.

If you do take a fish oil for O3 I'd suggest cod liver oil since you will also get A and D3, both of which people don't usually get much of.

I could ramble on about diet and nutrition for a long time because I find it makes a huge difference in my quality of life in general, but it certainly doesn't make my ADHD go away. You'll find some nuts on the internet that say that ADHD is caused by poor diet and video games and that is total bullshit. But I do think poor diet can certainly lower mental functioning in general and aggravate the underlying condition.

Of course my ADHD is a contributing factor to my having poor adherence to dietary interventions as well so...

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

OmNom posted:

Ask about Tenex (guafanacine) , the generic for Intuniv

Intuniv is extended release while Tenex isn't, and some people who seem to respond poorly to Tenex do well on Intuniv. At least according to what I've read. YMMV of course.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

J A V A posted:

I should also mention that there is no generic available for [Strattera] in the US, so if you're uninsured it might not be the best option.

I believe you can get it for free from Lilly Cares if you qualify for the program.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

kiriana posted:

My daughter was recently diagnosed ADHD

If it was recent it is also worth pointing out that diagnoses aren't written in stone. Most of the outwardly recognizable symptoms of ADHD can also appear as symptoms of other disorders including OCD. It really becomes a pain in the rear end to figure out when it's just one disorder with aspects that could look like another or when it's two comorbid conditions.

Random ADHD/OCD article: http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/6113.html

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

kiriana posted:

She doesn't wash excessively, do things a certain amount of time etc though. Maybe a mild version? We have been going through her pediatrician so far, but I believe her practice does have a child psychologist as well.

The idea that everyone with OCD washes their hands three times, etc, isn't really accurate. Actually a lot of hoarders living in squalor are exhibiting signs of OCD.

I am not a doctor, and I'm not saying your kid has it. I will say that, while pediatricians tend to be better versed with mental conditions than adult general practitioners, with conditions such as these a specialist is warranted. Not all psychologists are really good at assessment, either, there are many areas for a psychologist to specialize, but then we work with what we have access to.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

BirdOfPlay posted:

Oh, and about the OCD thing, you're looking too deeply into that. My mom (much to my near-abject embarrassment) loves to talk about how everything "has to be just so" with me. A lot of regular tasks that I do involve a pretty simple pattern, like dunking cereal a couple of times with my spoon before each spoonful. That said, neither my psychologist nor my psychiatrist (who did question me at length about OCD stuff) think I have OCD.

It's worth noting that there is a difference between OCD and obsessive compulsive personality disorder. COPD is not really a mild version of OCD, there are differences in kind. OCD has hallmark ritualistic behavior which is not seen in the personality disorder for example.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

:catdrugs: Roulette Go!

Bye Vyvanse! Hello Strattera! :toot:

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Qu Appelle posted:

Sup meds switch to Strattera buddy.
I'm still back reading this thread, so:

Qu Appelle posted:

I have Spastic Paraparesis as well, and it made my spasticity much worse right off the bat. Thus, a no go, but probably not something you're going to run into. (SP is a very rare disease).
So I guess good luck this time?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah, it isn't something that makes sense to have holidays on. Reuptake inhibitors don't have tolerance like stimulants and actually need to sort of "build up" to work. It has two phases of metabolites and science science etc etc I don't really understand.

My Pdoc said that most people that have problems with Strattera aren't properly titrated up to an appropriate dose. I was given two weeks of 25mg and one week of 18mg, but I'm only to drop down to 18mg for a couple of days if the 25mg gives me any trouble.

Two days in and I can't really say I feel anything more than placebo.

HondaCivet posted:

Why are you switching if you don't mind me asking?
Well the obvious answer is I hope it will be a more effective treatment. Vyvanse was great at what it did, but I felt that it was really just treating the most noticeable symptom (You can't pay attention? I've got something for that!) instead of the actual bundle of executive functioning deficits. Frontal lobe pre frontal cortex science science etc etc I don't really understand.

One thing that was both good and bad about Vyvanse was it's duration. It lasts pretty much all day. The thing is I forget to take my medicine if I get distracted right when I wake up, which is pretty often. Even taking it two hours late is going to impact my sleep schedule. I was already unable to adjust my sleep schedule to what my Pdoc wanted (I think I have delayed sleep phase syndrome, his response to that was "use an alarm clock" ...) and while to be clear I've always had a problem not staying up late with no chemical stimulation, adding in amphetamines was no help. I like that in theory I will be having positive effects from Strattera 24/7 instead of waiting for it to kick in and then having uneven coverage.

I still think I was better on Vyvanse than nothing, and I could see times in my life where it would've made a big difference, like when I was in school. But right now I feel like I more need treatment for other aspects of the disorder. Also I have some nebulous amount of comorbid disorders forever in the process of diagnosis, and in general we're hoping Strattera could have a positive influence on them which Vyvanse didn't. Though I don't think Vyvnase was a negative.

And all of this is compounded with only really being able to see how these things make me feel and what I see from the inside. I can't see how people from the outside would judge any changes, and that is partly because I just hide in my room.

Fluorescent posted:

Does anyone here have experience with having ADD AND a sleep disorder?

Are all stimulant meds like this? Is there anything that actually makes you feel awake that isn't a stimulant?
Like I say, I think I have DSPS but unlike my community mental health center, I can't go see a sleep specialist for free.

While it doesn't help with focus / ADHD stuff, modafinil will make you feel awake. There is a goon that is selling a modafinil prodrug here on SA, but of course buyer beware. I read a little about it and liver enzyme pathways science science etc etc I don't really understand.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

You can also get it through the needs based patient assistance program Lilly Cares.

Also since it isn't scheduled like the stimulants, it's much more likely that your prescriber has access to sample boxes. My pdoc told me to not even bother with Lilly Cares since he has so many boxes of samples.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

So far the only thing I've noticed is that Strattera makes me sleepy as gently caress.

HondaCivet, what is the titration scheme in the pack you got?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Apparently Lilly used to suggest starting people at 40mg for a couple weeks then straight to 80mg. No wonder it has such a bad rep for initial negative experiences.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Qu Appelle posted:

Your doc doesn't happen to be in Seattle are they? I could hook them up. My doc doesn't believe in samples, but I also have health insurance, so it's not an issue for me.

And Day 3 on Strattera - feels a lot like when I was on Wellbutrin, but with slightly more attention span. But holy cats I have no appetite, like at all. Which is OK because I have pounds to lose, but it's much more prominent than any of the stimulants, with maybe the exception of straight Dex.

Not sure how I missed this. Nope, not Seattle.

Actually, I've felt like I've had more of an impulse to binge since switching.

At this point it is sort of hard to say what is the Strattera and what is the not-being-on-Vyvanse.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

DAY 7, 25MG STRATTERA: This poo poo is awesome!

Okay, today has been a good day. I actually made progress on a project. I fixed my old iPod mini, installed Rockbox, and started organizing my tremendously unorganized FLAC collection. I made a somewhat sane and sensible workflow that I in some semblance pretty closely hovered around. Okay, I was still pretty spastic inside the bounds of the task, but there were lots of opportunities to leave the task for other distractions, and I was able to brush them off and go back to making progress.

In general I notice that the mental chatter hasn't been present today. I've felt clear headed and able to focus. There still is probably something I should have done besides organize my music collection, but whatever, this is something intimidating I've been putting off forever.

It is worth noting something though. My pdoc told me to keep taking my Vyvanse for this first week, and the only day I did so was yesterday because I was tired of being so sleepy. And yesterday was a pretty typical Vyvanse feeling day. I don't know how or why that could have changed how I felt today, but I guess it's worth noting.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

HondaCivet posted:

So what DOES Strattera feel like when it's working?

It's still early, but I guess I would just say I feel normal. Like it's easier for me to say what ADD feels like, and that... well, at least part of it goes away or is lessened.

But unlike the stimulants so far I can't say it feels like anything itself.

I mean, except maybe "sleepy" or "slight headache."

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

One thing I found weird with Vyvanse was that I had to wait the full 30 days since my last fill to get my script filled even though I had my physical script in hand, it wasn't post dated, etc. I wasn't fiending for pills, I just would find it a lot more convenient to fill my script the day I get it instead of trying to figure out when exactly 30 days is to make a separate trip. And so on.

I'm glad Strattera seems to be working out, I was getting tired of getting indignant about being treated like a drug addict at the pharmacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

HondaCivet posted:

skin problems with Strattera?
None here, but I've never really had skin problems.

TheBigBad posted:

I cant comprehend your experiences.
It is the case that there are endless drug addicts in my area abusing prescription drugs, but they are on opiates, not amphetamines. Plus, it's Vyvanse. The one that does nothing if try to smoke it, snort it, inject it.