Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Does anyone here have books to recommend regarding living with adult ADHD? Especially ones with organisational solutions and cleaning tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Does anyone find it really hard to work up the energy to watch new media? Even if everyone's raving about how great it is, and I'm interested, I just feel like TV and movies leave me fatigued - it's hard to stay focused and whenever it turns to gritty/dark topics I just end up way too emotionally sensitive even if I know logically it's all acting. And cringe humour is actually physically excruciating to the extent I'll cover my eyes and ears because I just feel bad watching it. Everyone else in the world seems to netflix or whatnot to relax after work but I find it super stressful.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Oh god, I'm so happy you guys chimed in because I felt like the weirdo in the room. I'm okay with books since if anything super horrifyingly cringeworthy happens or I start getting frustrated I can just skip a page or two and go back if I get lost but I can't sit with someone and hit fast forward randomly.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

artsy fartsy posted:

Curious how many of y'all have problems with discalculia. I haven't been formally diagnosed or anything, just been reading a lot about it lately and seeing myself.

I have suuuuper severe dyscalculia, I did a couple of A/T on it ages back.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

artsy fartsy posted:

I would love to read this if you wanna post a link

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944103&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 I had a one from earlier with even more information/questions but it's somewhere deep in the archives. You can bump this one if you want, I'm happy to take more questions.

I'm an adult-diagnosed ADHD Aussie, they're going to ask about your childhood and you lose some discounts if you get diagnosed after childhood which sucks. While the psych was basically 'let's toss all the stimulants at coolusername and see which works', I had issues with my first pharmacy (which is in a cheap housing council suburb where I live) treating me like a drug seeker over my scripts -- always having to go and find the head pharmacist to unlock them from the special cabinet, long delays on filling them and generally loving around.

When those scripts expired I've put in new ones at a pharmacy at the beach with all the bougie millionaires walking their dogs. Suddenly I have a two minute no questions asked turnaround! So my recommendation is take advantage of classism and pick the richest suburb convenient to your location because they're less likely to make a fuss when they think you're rich rather than a drug dealing junkie.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

organburner posted:

Took my first dose of concerta about a half hour ago, let's see where we end up :toot:

I'm starting with the weakest dose so probably won't feel anything but that placebo.

Even the lowest dose cancelled my hunger signals so just in case you might want to set an alarm of like “eat/drink a water” at when you usually do, in case you find you forget and then whoops you haven’t eaten in 16 hours.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I have two settings “literally the 1% top of the exam got a letter about it professor calls on me by name as someone who always has the answers” and “welp what happened cool username you were doing so well” guess where the pendulum has swung

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I worked on it all night and turned it in four hours late at 4am, I'm really hoping the professor brushes that off and still accepts it. I put in for special considerations and hopefully they approve and then that'll cover me, but if they don't, I'm not sure what I'll do. I had such a great average for once this year and then it's just get sick, get insomnia, one bad month and it's all fallen apart on me again.

And I've still got one left... But it's not overdue yet thank god. (it is soon though and I haven't started)

(please fix my brain)

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I really need to brush up on my teaching skills for ADHD. I have some study skills that I recommend to students, and I'm very accommodating of students who struggle with deadlines, but I don't know much those really help.

The funny thing is I'm doing a masters of education right now, and this deadline gently caress up is literally in the spec-ed unit. But doctor, I'm diagnosed with inattentive-Pagliacci syndrome!

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
From the objective perspective, part of the reason I really struggled is other health concerns have hosed me up all month so I wasn't able to implement my usual compensation tools, like changing my study environment. This assessment in particular was also a struggle because the guidelines were pretty vague, there wasn't a clear 'This is what I want' example to mimic for the structure and I find the marking a bit arcane - my high effort first assessment in the unit got a big deduction for being slightly over the word count despite praise for its quality, my second assessment was much lower effort but got higher marks, and that sort of "Okay but I don't know what it should look like and I can't work out what's wanted from me, and over half my marks come from this one thing so if I gently caress up it's going to destroy everything" frustration hasn't helped.

I have another assessment due in a couple of days that should theoretically be way more trouble because it's higher complexity and I have basically nothing, and I need it to be good, but the professor is my favourite because he literally gives you a pdf with each section's expectations described down to the word count for different sections, so I've gotten top marks in his unit consistently cause I just tick off the boxes one by one.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Meds: I have a medadvisor app (not sure if it works in other countries, I'm Aussie) tied to my pharmacy where my scripts are. It lists all my scripts, remaining refills, and a countdown timer for when I can refill it, plus I hit a button to order it so I don't have to wait in the pharmacy/they definitely have it. It sends me a reminder for when a script needs refilling, or when a script is about to expire.

For my iphone:
Day:
- All the addictive apps aren't on home, but in the app menu, so I can't just one-click them from the home screen.
- I use 'screen time' which blocks off apps after a certain amount of time, and if I want back in I have to enter a pin code which gives me 15 more minutes.
- Due app to bug the poo poo out of me with frequent reminders.

Night:
- Downtime blocks off all the apps bar a couple of important life function ones (calendar, etc.) and the Forest app. To access them, I have to enter a pin.
- I then use the forest app with a three hour timer which is generally just enough time to bore myself to sleep in bed.

Browsers:
- I use the limit extension which times all the websites like reddit, and when it runs out it blocks it (with no ability to add more time).
- Then I have the limit extension unpinned so if I ever want to turn it off I have to go into the menu and then access it (adding an extra step to the 'just turn it off and go back to browsing' thing).

Watch:
- Haptic feedback every hour to shake me out of the hyperfocus zone.
- Stand up and do things reminders.

This is all to make it so I don't spend 15 hours in a haze on a website binging a 100 pages of archive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

bagmonkey posted:

Time for ADHD subforum

A hundred threads, and all their OPs stuck at 80% complete -- forever.

Anyway, I tossed this into the other thread, but someone might find it helpful here too: I took a few book photos of organisation tips for young ADHD kids and their bedrooms.