Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

coolusername posted:

Does anyone find it really hard to work up the energy to watch new media? Even if everyone's raving about how great it is, and I'm interested, I just feel like TV and movies leave me fatigued - it's hard to stay focused and whenever it turns to gritty/dark topics I just end up way too emotionally sensitive even if I know logically it's all acting. And cringe humour is actually physically excruciating to the extent I'll cover my eyes and ears because I just feel bad watching it. Everyone else in the world seems to netflix or whatnot to relax after work but I find it super stressful.

all the time. it makes me feel terminally lazy but for some reason the thought of trying out a new tv show makes me feel incredibly tense, and a big part of it is "but what if it's bad and I wasted my time" on it. but the rest of it is just not wanting to have to struggle to watch anything passively.

there might be a solution though, I've had some luck riding an exercise bike while watching something new. I think the anxiety or fatigue is excess energy that needs to be burned off/distracted from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Also of note is that the "emotional reaction" stuff associated with ADHD doesn't just present as anguish and crying, sometimes its anxiety or disproportionate anger. Just throwing that out there bc I can get angry at the drop of a hat but I don't get anxious or weepy very much.