Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
Hello ADD/ADHD thread! I am a long time lurker and now a full member of the :catdrugs: contingent. I'm on Atomoxetine and thanks to the advice here, took it with some food this morning and all seems to be well stomach wise.

I'm trying to figure out how to judge the effectiveness vs. placebo effect. I'm told it takes a few days to really ramp up in the system, 25mg for the first week, then 50 thereafter, but how quickly do psychological effects take place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

A good question for your psychiatrist.

Haha, well of course, just curious what others have done to see the difference.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

BoneMonkey posted:

These drugs dont seem to effect us all the same way.

Hope for the best and adjust the dose strength before moving on to the next drug. It's like trying to find the right pair of glasses for you.

Fair enough.. I need to be patient and see what happens. I'm pretty sure that a placebo can't keep me focused for days at a time :)

Thanks!

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Geisladisk posted:

Yeah, this stuff varies a lot person to person.

I (95 kg guy in my late twenties) and my brother (like ~60kg 16 year old kid) both have ADD, and are both on Concerta. I'm on the minimum dose (18mg in a slow release pill). I still feel pretty wired for a couple of hours when the drugs kick in. If I take two (36mg) I get straight up high. My brother, who is barely 2/3rd of my weight, is on a 54mg, triple the dosage, and says he doesn't feel any side effects at all.

Interesting! It's kind of freaky to me how these things work, the Strattera literature basically says straight up "we've no idea why this treats ADD, but it does! v :) v"

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Drugs that have to cross the blood-brain barrier tend to be like that, with effective dose relatively independent of bodyweight.

With Strattera, we know what it does -- it keeps more norepinephrine in your brain -- it's more that they haven't hashed out the exact link between norepinephrine and ADHD symptoms. But they know that it's a neurotransmitter that's involved in things like sustaining attention and energy, so it's not like it's a total mystery.

Ah, that makes sense. I'm finishing up week 1 and it's...good? I get an attention boost but still get distracted, but I'm kinda consumed by what distracts me. I think this is probably more a self-discipline thing than the meds at this point. I feel like if I pull myself back to the task-at-hand, I can get back to work with minimal disruption. It's cool to have this kind of control.

I can feel some anti-depressant effect (even though I'm not depressed), I feel almost happier than should be natural at times. Not really giddy but just not knee-jerk annoyed at every little thing.

Pdoc wants me to up the dose to 2x25/day, do people usually take them at the same time in the morning, or spread out through the day? I'm leaning toward one in the morning, and one around noon. Doc's order just says 'take two'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Fusion Restaurant posted:

Echoing call your doctor -- timing matters, so he should definitely have some prescription for it.

Spoke to the doc, they're basically like 'whichever works for you'. The main concern with 1am/1pm is that you'll forget the PM dose, but it seems to be working great for me.

Related, has anyone else taken the Quotient test? They track your reactions as you identify different shaped stars on a screen and hit the spacebar when anything *but* a 5-point star comes up. Apparently I missed the point of the test (which is consistent reaction times) because I thought accuracy was more important, so I scored beyond ADHD. I'm ok with the outcome since at least it's something measurable that I can test against again.