Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

This may be the wrong thread, but anyone know a good CBT guy in Seattle, that takes Premera?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Tips on a morning routine? I'm inadvertently hurting myself here.

I'm off the Lamictal completely, and also off the Dex (for the ADHD) for the next two months, as my doc and I think it (the Lamictal) caused such a massive upswing in my GERD that I can barely eat without making myself sick. Like, I can reliably eat maybe 8 foods. We're keeping the Dex out of the mix as well, in case that's also a factor (which I don't think it is). So, my only :catdrugs: is an almond milk latte that I sip on throughout the day. (Job in engaging and I'm not in school at the moment, so I don't have to worry on that front.)

The other thing is that I keep on preventing my healing by messing up my morning meds. When it was 2 pills and an inhaler? I can manage that. But now, it's 4 pills, vitamins, an inhaler with a spacer (2 puffs!), and a nasal spray - and there's mornings where I'll just up and forget one of these components, which just doesn't help at all. It's to the point where I'm thinking of setting up a manual, pen and paper checklist for it all. (I have a pill holder for the pills, but doesn't help the nasal spray).

Ideas? At least my food journaling is going a lot better since I made a Google Form for it. It has cats on it. :3: I feel motivated because I like telling the kitties what I ate today. I had zucchini, cats. Yum.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 10, 2014

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

I have in the past; I just don't carry them out of the house. For that, I keep them in the container.

I think that a check sheet is going to be it. I may have to go back on another medication that is extremely hard to take, and has to be on a schedule. At least the inhaler has a counter on it, so I can go 'count today is 131, should be 129 at end, etc.'

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 10, 2014

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Astrofig posted:

Yeah, actually I just recently got diagnosed bipolar, so that might have something to do with it.

There are some people - like me - where even minuscule doses of ADHD meds are going to cause some horrific side effects, to the point where the bad outweighs the good. Generally, there's something else going on if that's the case.

I have ADHD - but the only ADHD med I can take is Dexedrine, and then only at an exceedingly low dose. In talking to my Psychiatrist, it turns out that I may also have Autism/Asperger's. Hell, I may have Asperger's *instead* of ADHD.

So, basically, you're not alone here in ADHD meds not having the desired effects. Just continue to be open with your doctors about it, and I hope that you can find a solution.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Astrofig posted:

Thanks. I see my psych again tomorrow and I'm going to ask her about what if anything might be done for the ADD---thanks to this thread I'll be sure to remember to mention to her what hadn't worked before.

If you have the means and the brainpower, make a list that you can give to them.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Alder posted:

Hi, you called?

Interesting, as I've listened to radio plays and audio books before but I got annoyed since I'd forget where I was last time and never finished the entire recording. I'll check it later. I've been relying on white noise and related apps for nighttime sleep.

I just listen to NPR.

Yes, the world's going to crap in some pretty horrific ways. NPR constantly reminds us of this. But that droning, calm NPR voice that's reading off the latest genocide facts and figures is so soothing that I nod off pretty quickly.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Marv Albert posted:

NPR is really a 24/7 bedtime story and is a great tool in that regard. On one hand, Ira Glass or the writer's almanac can induce sleep better than any benzo, while the bone-dry bearing of the BBC news or the baroque power hours in the afternoon prepare you for the knockout punch of those literature-related segments.

"Today in EkjhgkjghkAAREIstan, anarchists beheaded the local faction leader, and drank his blood in a margarita. The entrails were given to the local schoolchildren as a treat, with one of the little girls quickly turning the small intestine into a macrame owl......." zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

poo poo's better than Ambien.

The iHeartRadio app for the iPad has a sleep timer too. The only drawback is that my local NPR station isn't on there, so instead I listen to the droning clones from KUT in Austin, Texas.

Parks and Rec really does the best satire of NPR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frChs4i4qWI

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 3, 2014

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Definitely.

It feels like a struggle at times.

Lately, mine comes with food. As a side effect of the Lamictal, I developed a ton of food intolerances, so I have a very restricted diet.

Shopping means that I'm afraid that I'll buy something that I don't realize I react to, and same with the cooking. So, I don't bother to pack a lunch, and I end up buying crap that I know I can eat from the local salad bar at Whole Foods. Which is called Whole Paycheck for a reason.

This week, I finally started putting together nutritious lunches to take with me to work, but it took weeks of procrastination before I finally got to the point where I dug out my lunch box, bought a rotisserie chicken, and made a meal plan for my lunches. (Soy chicken and rice, with apple sauce and baaaaaaaaby carrots) (Meanwhile, when the chicken is just bones and stuff, it gets turned into a stock. Which then gets turned into a soup, with chicken meat, carrots, potatoes, celery, and corn.)

(Docs think that the diet issues may be coming from a GERD flare up. Also, off the Lamictal, and I feel magnificent. No, really.)

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 4, 2014

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

I was always a really light drinker, but on Wellbutrin? One drink and I was nearly under the table. And that never really went away for me.

Turned out to also be a moot point, because Wellbutrin also took away all desire to drink. I had no urges for alcohol at all whatsoever. Before I started the Wellbutrin, I had drunk maybe 1-2 times a month.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

I'm calling the doc about Strattera again.

He had me stop both the Dexedrine and the Lamictal due to side effects; definitely with the Lamictal and possibly with the Dexedrine, to also just give my system a break and heal up. I've done that now, and now I want to be functional. I got laid off last month,and school - if I go back - doesn't start until April. I have time to figure this all out.

I remember that the Strattera alone helped a little bit, while also muting my emotions somewhat. Well, that's betterthan not being medicated (where I'm doing things like forgetting to put food in the fridge and then it spoils), and certainly better than taking a stimulant that's causing massive panic attacks.

With out the meds, I've been panic attack free, which is *amazing*. But now I want to try to treat this. Again.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 24, 2015

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Gnossiennes posted:

I'm apparently in the vast minority who finds NPR interesting and engaging!

SkaAndScrenplays -- bring up your fears of seeming like you're drug seeking to the pdoc. You're not the first one to feel that way, and if they're not lovely, they'll listen. Unless you a history of substance abuse, you'll be fine. And even if you do, they can work around that.

Myself personally, I have a history of substance abuse that I'm (rightly so) open about with my pdoc, which means I'm not put on stimulant meds. But I have intense enough anxiety that it's not an option anyhow.

It sounds like you'll definitely function a lot better once you're on medication, so you have a lot to look forward to!

Other stuff: increased wellbutrin dosage and it's good save for feeling like I want to jump out my skin sometimes. Wellbutrin has been a loving wonderdrug though.

Oh, I find the *content* of NPR interesting and engaging - it's just the *tone* that lulls me to sleep. I'd say that I listen to NPR 20+ hours a week. I no longer have a TV, so it's my default entertainment at home.

Also - when I need to exercise? Ingress. I've loaded Ingress on my phone, and now I walk around for hours at a time playing it.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Hopefully the third time's the charm!

Strattera, 10 mg. Decided to give it another go now for three reasons:

1. It did work before at this dose, albiet with some side effects - which I'm going to push through.
2. I don't really have anything else going on right now, so no large extra stressors (no school, for instance). Also, no Lamictal.
3. I really do need something for the ADHD and anxiety - both of which haven been acting up in spades. Last time I took it I complained about the :effort: flattened affect, but believe me - that's desired right now. Better than freakouts!

So, yeah. I can already feel it sort of kicking in. If I keep at 10 mg and DON'T try to raise it (last time I went to 20 everything went haywire), it should be fine. (Yup - looking back at my notes, 10mg was the sweet spot. 20 mg was when the twitching and suicidal thoughts kicked in.)

Hopefully.

Now, my question:

Is Costco the cheapest place to get it, if one has to pay out of pocket? I'm currently on Medicaid (which may pay for it come Feb 1st), but then switching to a Blue Cross/Blue Shield plan next month via :obama: care (as my income will have changed and I'll get kicked off). So, I may have to pay out of pocket and work to get reimbursed if there's a lag between me signing up, and me getting my card. This happened last year; at least this year I'm mentally prepared for that to happen. Or am I eligible for a coupon or something?

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 28, 2015

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

slogsdon posted:

4 hours is definitely short. Upping the dosage will help with length of duration but as far as what you're eating try and avoid acidic foods within a few hours of taking your dose, so citrus fruits and juices, sodas, etc.

I'm not actually sure if there's an adderall XR generic available, but that's a lovely price for it regardless. Last year they were charging me a $110 copay for mine and this year it's $20.

I found insurance to be really weird when it came to Adderall. A few years ago, I had Blue Cross-Blue Shield of Texas, and they would only pay for the *name brand* version of Adderall XR. Not the generic. So, it ended up being the least expensive option. If I would have wanted the generic, I would have had to pay full price for it. Yet the name band still had the name brand co-pay, because it was a name brand :downs: - which was $50 a month.

Also - should Strattera kick in immediately? I swear, I could feel it switch on. I got some bad family news (nothing devastating, but definitely inconvenient), right before I had a meeting with a vocational counselor. So, I was a bit of an anxious mess. The meeting ended well, I went outside to run some errands, and suddenly, a few hours after taking the dose, I felt a little calmer. Like, what would have made me a crying mess merely made me sad, but otherwise unemotional. Consequently, I was able to actually do the stuff I needed to do today, like opening my UI claim, instead of putting it off and off. (I got laid off last month).

If this drug does nothing else at this dose but cut my anxiety, I'm good with that.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 29, 2015

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Can I sing the praises of Strattera?

I know I tried it a couple of times before, to hilariously bad results. Well, being completely unmedicated while being unemployed also led to some bad results, so I looked through my notes, found that Strattera indeed worked in one particular variant, and put a call into the doc.

Thus, on Jan 27th, I restarted the world of Strattera. Only 10 mg a day, and I'm on that dose until the end of time - in past experiences, higher doses led to depressive thoughts. Because I'm such a tiny petite princess, that's enough to show some effectiveness - I'm more alert, my attention span is longer, and - best of all - my anxiety has practically been stripped away. So I can actually start to put in motion the stuff I need to do, instead of sleeping the day away.

Most importantly: it completely eliminated any need or desire for caffeine. Which I sorely needed. In the past few months or so, I had a serious flareup of my GERD, with most of the symptoms residing in my throat area. Which also caused a major flareup of my asthma. One of my major triggers for GERD? Caffeine. (And, as it turns out, other stimulants like Dexedrine). Since Strattera took the desire for caffeine completely away, I stopped drinking it, and my stomach/throat is starting to heal up nicely. Which means that I was able to lower the dosage of one of my asthma meds. Before I restarted the Strattera, I kept on sabotaging my stomach healing by having constant caffeine to, you know, function.

I was also able to make an appointment for some worker retraining, fix the mess my health insurance was in, start in on the Khan Academy Computer Programming modules, and watch my diet like a hawk to monitor the GERD.

So, I'm really happy that I'm giving Strattera a third try after all. At least for now, it's woking!

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

casual poster posted:

Comprehension while reading (even recreational reading) is so drat hard for me. Ugh. Just blowing off steam cause I figure you all would understand.

Yup.

I had a really good book sit on my table for 8 weeks; I just kept on renewing it through the library website. I only had gotten 1/2 way through it.

Then I restarted Strattera.

Finished the other half in two days.

(If you have any interest in the LDS church at all, 'Way Below the Angels - The Pretty Clearly Troubled but Not Even Close to Tragic Confessions of A Real Live Mormon Missionary' By Harline, Craig is pretty fascinating.)

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Does your appetite ever come back on Strattera?

I mean, I'm happy that I'm no longer considered 'overweight' BMIwise. However, taking more than an hour to eat a bowl of really delicious homemade soup is getting old. I know I need to eat more - but any semblance of appetite is just *gone*.

(Other than that, it's still working like a champ at 10 mg).

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Astrofig posted:

Can Concerta cause anxiety when you come down? That was how it always seemed for me---I'd be sitting in class silently freaking out and hyperfocusing on every single word the teacher said. It was hellish.

Oh holy crap yes. OMG yes.

When it was on? Everything was great. Coming down? I wondered for a while why every commute would end with me in cold sweats over every possible doom scenario, before I realized it - yes, it was the Concerta. All of the Ritalin derivatives do that for me. The shorter the duration, the harder the comedown, and the worse the anxiety - until it culminated in actual panic attacks.

This is why I also love Strattera right now. (I also had a surprise 20 minute phone screen and interview for a job today; I thought it was going to be for tomorrow. So I didn't make any decaf coffee or plan for it or anything. But when they called, I was on top of it, and did a good job - and my resume is being sent to the Hiring Manager for a possible phone screen with him tomorrow. :hellyeah: )

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 11, 2015

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

I'm wondering if low dose Strattera can be paired with low doses of Concerta or Metadate. Because, aside from the anxiety, those drugs were golden - and Strattera does wonders for my anxiety.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

I end up just taking an extra dose of my Baclofen when I need to sleep and have trouble doing so. However, I already have it prescribed for my Spastic paraparesis, so I don't know how you'd get a hold of it otherwise.

It also turns out that one of the formulations of Baclofen, R-Baclofen, is showing good signs of being useful in treating Narcolepsy. http://www.fountia.com/baclofen-for-narcolepsy-promising-new-treatment/

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

So, hey. Hi. Hi.

1. Strattera - 10 mg is indeed my sweet spot! I don't really have any side effects anymore, and I feel just 'on' when I need to be. I even got a job interview, and am participating in a hackathon project with some other people - something I couldn't even have imagined before. SO thankful I decided to give this another shot.

2. Questions times: Is it possible to 'veg' on Strattera? Like, give the brain an 'off' switch for a little while? Because its in my system all the time, I like that it's 'on' all the time, and I can do things like take on a phone screen for a job with no notice, plan things out at all times etc. However, I sort of miss just sitting in a coffee shop or on the beach or something, and just staring into space. When I've tried to do it recently, though, my brain is still churning along. I'm also thinking that meditation will really help with this; that or yoga. I also know that Strattera is a drug you have to take every single day, so there's no drug 'vacations' possible, like with the stims.

But hey - viva la :catdrugs: !

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

The Rokstar posted:

I also tried Provigil once and that stuff was like a loving wonder drug, but my insurance flat out refuses to cover it unless I have a sleep disorder, my general doctor is convinced that I don't, and that poo poo is loving expensive as hell without insurance. So that sucks.

That's really good to know - because, of all things, my GP wants me to get a sleep study for a sleep disorder. I have been sleeping like crap for a while now, and nodding off in the middle of the day, when I didn't have any problems with sleeping before. I've held off, because I thought that it was GERD related (which I have and is being treated.)

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

However, you can only really take drug holidays with the stimulants, right? Something like Strattera needs to be taken continuously, I believe?

BTW, still truckin' along on 10 mg of Strattera. It's a baby dose, sure, but it's working without horrid side effects!

:hellyeah: :hf: :catdrugs:

Also starting Calculus 1 on April 6th. :toot:

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

MJBuddy posted:

I used to have decision paralysis for loving videogames.

One great trick is to create lists. Getting caught in that hole is what killed me, but saying "oh, the list says do this" got me moving and hell even if it wasn't homework it was infinitely better than nothing + anxiety + depression.

I also had the great luck of starting a relationship with my now wife which made me think long and hard about where I wanted to be in life and went from very reactive decision making to planning out things obsessively and creating coping mechanisms.

Oh yeah - decision paralysis. What I hate the most? Having to decide between two or three things, and just STANDING THERE, in the cookie aisle, convinced that the decision of Oreos vs. Lorna Doones had world shattering consequences if the wrong cookie is picked.

So, I found by far the most goony solution ever - I keep a D20 in my pocket. Decision, and I can't make it? I assign values, and out comes the die. I'll then: a. Accept the choice of the die, or b. Refuse the choice of the die, and pick the opposite. Either case, the stalemate is broken, and I get to show QFC just what a fantastic dweeb I am.

And absolutely no fucks were given on that day, when the Oreos won.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Astrofig posted:

^^Oh god yes, literally make me eat fire ants just don't make me choose between multiple options. Ha, I like the d20 idea.

Over tiny stuff, too.

"But I like the red one! And the blue one! But I can't have both!"

Gooniest moment ever/best no fucks given moment ever - A friend had me pick a coffee shop. I could sense the brain doing it's mental equivalent of 'gears getting stuck, turning red hot, and smouldering' action. So, I pulled out the die, explained it's action, and threw it. It picked Option B.

My friend is a State Representative. This all happened in her office. She highly approved. Ad Option B had amazing Americanos.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Those of you who take Strattera - do you take in the morning or night?

I've been taking it in the morning, and the drowsiness just gets to me. So, I end up drinking a fair bit of caffeine to fully wake up, which pisses off my stomach and GERD. Would it matter if I end up taking it at night instead? It's been more than two months on the drug, so I would have thought that the drowsiness would have worn off by now. And I'm only on 10 mg of the stuff. Not to mention that the drowsiness makes me feel mentally slow, and it takes twice as long to do coursework as it's like pulling teeth to stay awake at times. And I'm not taking really challenging stuff here.

(Other than the sleepiness, it seems to be working somewhat! Not 100%, but better than nothing. I especially like the calming effect on the anxiety, when it's not completely ramped up to the gills.)

Also - can it be combined with Dexedrine Spansules effectively? Dex helps the cognitive/concentration of the ADHD, while Strattera helps with the calming effect, as other amphetamines just ramp me way up with the anxiety until it's :supaburn: time. I won't be switching up my drugs for a while; I just want to know in case something is needed.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 13, 2015

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Dexedrine is a god send. Ritalin gave me rage after 9 months, not to mention the horrid rebound made me forget my PIN at an ATM and I had to call my bank to get it reset, (jfc).

Vyvanse was okay but I didn't like how... much of a waste it felt.

10mg Dexedrine ER Spansules. Godsend.

This was the drug that I suspect gave me really bad GERD in the first place, but the GERD didn't start until a few months after I started the drug. (I was also unknowingly participating in other GERD monos, like lots of tomatoes, citrus, etc.)

I know that regular Dexedrine made my GERD worse, and also gave me rebound depression. My GERD is under a lot more control now, a special GERD diet helps. I was even able to lower my PPIs to once a day. And Dex is something I can take drug holidays on. I see the doc on Friday; I'll ask about switching my Strattera to nights to lessen the fatigue first. Luckily, this Quarter is pretty light for me.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

I don't think that stimulants are great overall if you've got GERD, esp. since caffeine, etc. is a known GERD trigger.

So, for the foreseeable future, it's Strattera for me! And I've only had a few anxiety attacks on it; if they get bad, we may add Buspar into the mix. But that's a long way off. And if I limit the caffeine I do have, it's effective when I have it.

He also hooked me up with a counseling service for the anxiety; I'm calling on Monday about making an appointment, etc. (the guy I needed to talk to was out of the office.) I'm 10000% down with that.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 17, 2015

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

So, what happens when one has a break in between Strattera doses? I have 5 pills left, tried refilling it, and I'm out of refills. So, they're calling the doc - on Monday. I forgot if Strattera was one of those 'instant work' meds or 'build up in the system' meds.

C'mon, Strattera :ohdear:

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Baby Babbeh posted:

Also, once you get it filled, it will take a couple weeks to get back to full potency.

I can buy 12 hours of time, as I'm changing my dosing from morning to evening due to drowsiness. I didn't take it this morning, and wow did I feel alert!

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

3 days on Evening Dosing: It gives me heartburn, as I'm taking it on an empty stomach.

Which I'm to go to sleep with, according to my GERD doc...to prevent heartburn. I'm to stop eating 2-3 hours before bed.

At least I'm not super sleepy, and I may take it with a banana or something.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Oh good.

Now that I have a vaguely stable medication regimen, my insurance no longer wants to pay for Strattera.

:geno:

So, question - is there a generic out there for Metadate yet? That was the formulation of Ritalin that my brain accepted the most readily, and now that I'm on an anti-anxiety medication as well, the anxiety side effects I got should be mitigated. What's the longest lasting generic Ritalin out there? In case I have to switch.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, good - I can haz Strattera nao. My schoolwork and I thank you, Washington State.

Because I missed 4 days - is it going to be a snap back to my previous functioning, or will I have to ramp up again? I restarted my dosage this morning.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

From http://www.crazymeds.us/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Meds/Strattera -

"Strattera (atomoxetine) does one of those weird double metabolisms. Atomoxetine itself has a mean average half-life of five hours, with poor metabolizers... taking up to 24 hours to process it. Then the metabolite is further metabolized into yet another substance, and that has a mean average half-life of 6–8 hours, with the poor metabolizers taking 34–40 hours to deal with it. Presume a total half-life of 13 hours and that it’s out of your system in 3–4 days."

"As the active portion of atomoxetine has a half-life in people with normal metabolisms of 6 to 8 hours, and as most people take it once a day, you may or may not reach a steady state in 36 to 48 hours. Eli Lilly didn’t provide any steady state data."

Presume that unless you're a poor metabolizer (CYP2D6-related), you will probably have to go through the ramp up again.

ETA: I'm glad there's someone out there who does well with Strattera. My first dose gave me 5/5 akathisia plus drowsiness and hot flashes.

Coolness, thank you.

Strattera is a weird beast for me. I'm not really on a high - or even medium - dose. Sometimes I'm thinking that I'm taking a sugar pill. But then, I notice things like being able to sit through a lecture and not feel distracted a thousand times, or not have the code bleed in front of my eyes because I'm getting overly tired (I'm in a CS/Web Dev path in school). I know that the Buspar also helps 1000% in keeping the panic attacks in check, which I think also helps the Strattera do it's thing.

Overall, I do like Ritalin better for the ADHD, but it also ramps up the anxiety even more. Since I have a steady thing going, my doc and I want to stick with it for a while. If I can stay on the drug; my insurance may cut it out of my plan next month if they don't accept my doctor's reasoning for me to be on it.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

That's an excellent post, thank you.

I've had the obsessive thought loops definitely, and and was diagnosed with OCD about 20 years ago. However, that got amended a bit recently, and looped in with the Generalized Anxiety and Depression issues I definitely have, as well as the ADHD and possible Asperger's.

I talked to my Psych and GP about the thought loops that I fall into, and I'm seeing a good therapist about it. I do know that they get worse when I'm under stress - like studying for my Final? Yes! They reappear!

My GP recommended that I take up Mindfulness Meditation as a way of helping to combat this (along with my Buspar and Strattera). I looked at some secular therapist IM practitioners that don't take Medicaid and wanted to charge hundreds of dollars. Then...I looked at Buddhism, which also has Mindfulness Meditation, as well as other actual teaching that resonate with me a lot right now. So, I've been reading the info from Sakya Monastary, which is a center for Tibetan Buddhism, as well as going through guided meditations on my phone from the app Insight Timer.

And, hot drat, I'm getting something from it! It's far from perfect, but with a combo of all these tools, I'm able to deal with the intrusive thoughts and thought loops head on. Instead of trying to suppress it and distract it, I acknowledge it, and let the thought do what it's going to. I've even talked to them out loud. "OK, this is a bad thought loop caused by stress. I acknowledge you, bad thought loop. But, you're just a bad thought loop." That seems to help make them dissipate, more than consciously trying to make them go away by will.

I'm not ready to call myself a Buddhist or take refuge or anything like that, but I'm happy with the meditation and spiritual practices I've incorporated so far from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Ausmund posted:

What careers could I pursue with these strengths and weaknesses? I'm 27 and still in retail. I was thinking of maybe going to a trade school for computer programming? But I've always hated school and its brought me nothing but distress and I hate learning, which is why I just gave up on it.

No matter where you go to school, remember that ADHD is a recognized disability, and you can get accommodations for that. My school offers extra test time, earplugs, and a quiet place to take it, in their office.