Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

kapalama posted:

Laser printers solve all problems. Lots of eBay guys sell refilled toner carts.

Asking here because it seems the most active printer thread:

Are these off brand cartridges the reason for random banding on my printouts? Or is my bought for $10.00 used HP laser printer finally dying?

(I have printed over 4000 pages with it, and I got it used so...)

Yes. If you're talking about one of the old battleship HPs, 4k pages ain't poo poo; you can get a full page count by printing a test page from the printer's menu.

Try to track down a genuine HP cartridge that hasn't been remanufactured over and over again. Typically, old HPs start failing by wrinkling the paper; eventually, the paper polishes the rubber rollers smooth, and they can't grab the paper to move it any more. A bit of Goof-Off cleaning solvent on a rag will attack the rollers just enough to get them grabby again.

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Sometimes you can take the rollers off and turn them inside out to get a bit more life out of them.

One thing to note on Brother printers is that the toner and drum are separate parts. The printer will want you to replace the drum after about 10k pages, but you can look up the reset procedure online and just reset it instead of replacing it. When the print quality starts to suffer then you can replace it.

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

MECH VITAE is already stupid.
Heads up for all you HL-2170W lovers.
Pick up the HL-2270DW, it's the upgrade. It's not only wireless, it's duplex. It's not only duplex and wireless, it also has a nice feature called:
"Oh god what do I do my toner says its empty but I still need to print I don't care about the quality!!" ..feature. Basically you can tell the printer to still print with the little toner left in the cartridge until it's completely bone dry. You'll get crap for quality, but it works!

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Thanks for the review. I was afraid the 2170W was discontinued since Newegg still shows it out of stock. Too bad the 2270DW uses a different toner cartridge. It looks like the HL-2240D is replacing the HL-2140 as well.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Thanks for the review. I was afraid the 2170W was discontinued since Newegg still shows it out of stock. Too bad the 2270DW uses a different toner cartridge. It looks like the HL-2240D is replacing the HL-2140 as well.

Jesus, a duplex wireless printer for under $100? We live in the loving future. And the HL-2240D is amazing, a duplex printer for $70? I think the 2270DW is probably a better deal, but still.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

FISHMANPET posted:

Jesus, a duplex wireless printer for under $100? We live in the loving future. And the HL-2240D is amazing, a duplex printer for $70? I think the 2270DW is probably a better deal, but still.

That is the one thing I did not like aboout the brother, but I just figured duplex was out of th question.

http://bit.ly/hW3MdH

$89.99 and $1.99 shipping

Wow!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Now I just need a reason for my 2140 to die.

*eyes hammer suspiciously*

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
There's a free shipping promo code too.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Vitae posted:

Pick up the HL-2270DW, it's the upgrade. It's not only wireless, it's duplex. It's not only duplex and wireless, it also has a nice feature called:
"Oh god what do I do my toner says its empty but I still need to print I don't care about the quality!!" ..feature. Basically you can tell the printer to still print with the little toner left in the cartridge until it's completely bone dry. You'll get crap for quality, but it works!

drat! I might have to jump on that, I love my HL-2040 but duplexing would be loving awesome. I have to print one side and put it back the right way to print the other side when I make two sided fliers or folding pamphlets.

Also I <3 Brother printers because they never give me driver problems, regardless of OS.

pienipple fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 19, 2011

Apr 9, 2009

by T. Fine
Does anyone know if the HP Photosmart C4480 has a hard drive or internal storage of some kind? If it does, does anyone know how I can access it?

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I got a HP 8500A Plus a few days ago and I've been using it heavily. I like it alot

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

FISHMANPET posted:

The toner cartridges changed yet again with this new model though, and not in the positive direction either.

edit: i guess the high-yield is actually still rated for 2600 pgs. The low-end one is now 1200 instead of 1500.

I, too, have the same problem now though. My 2040 has been a champ and doesn't look to be breaking down anytime soon, as much as I want duplex. If brother had apple airprint compatibility *and* duplex I might just break down and get it though.

MrBond fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 19, 2011

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vitae posted:

So this is the goonsensus printer now? I've been out of the printer market for years and years, so I know nothing. All I know is that my mother needs a black and white printer for her new Macbook Air. It took a week, but I finally talked her into the 2170W over some random Wal-Mart printer, but now that she's ready to buy, she can't find it anywhere in stock. The 2270 looks like an upgrade for a lower cost, so if that's what's up, then great!

(PS - I can't believe LASER PRINTERS are that cheap; what is the catch?)

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

MrBond posted:

If brother had apple airprint compatibility *and* duplex I might just break down and get it though.

Airprint? Is that the new printing from ipad/iphone thing? Or printing with a usb to an airport/time capsule whatever?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vitae posted:

Airprint? Is that the new printing from ipad/iphone thing? Or printing with a usb to an airport/time capsule whatever?

It's the new iOS feature. Hit the share button, choose print, choose printer. No printer setup required.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Kobayashi posted:

So this is the goonsensus printer now? I've been out of the printer market for years and years, so I know nothing. All I know is that my mother needs a black and white printer for her new Macbook Air. It took a week, but I finally talked her into the 2170W over some random Wal-Mart printer, but now that she's ready to buy, she can't find it anywhere in stock. The 2270 looks like an upgrade for a lower cost, so if that's what's up, then great!

It is, with the caveat that it's a new model and hasn't seen as much use as the old models. It could have some horrible design flaw, but with Brother history it's a little less likely.

The catch is the same as inkjet printers a few years ago. Make a lower quality piece of hardware, ship it with a half-empty cartridge, and hope to make a profit on selling consumables.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Kobayashi posted:

There is not catch IME. Yes the toner is overpriced but running out after thousands of pages printed really fast is really not a big deal, and Networking is awesome.

Brother is trying lock people into buying their toner by changing the cartidge, but that's kind of not a big deal after dealing with inkjets.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

1294028 posted:

Does anyone know if the HP Photosmart C4480 has a hard drive or internal storage of some kind? If it does, does anyone know how I can access it?

Doesn't look like it. Try reading the manual: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01416570.pdf

Toothy
Jan 30, 2006

There's treasure everywhere!
Can anyone recommend me a (Brother?) laser printer with a built-in scanner? I don't need a copier/fax or any other features. Does this exist cheaply, or will I need to buy some all-in-one monstrosity for $500?

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

Toothy posted:

Can anyone recommend me a (Brother?) laser printer with a built-in scanner? I don't need a copier/fax or any other features. Does this exist cheaply, or will I need to buy some all-in-one monstrosity for $500?

It's not laser but the DCP-585cw is cheap as gently caress, plus you can get the 900~ page carts for £8 each.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Got a little cash for my birthday so I hopped on the $90 HL-2270DW deal. :toot:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Vile posted:

I got a HP 8500A Plus a few days ago and I've been using it heavily. I like it alot

If you absolutely need color inkjet, that's probably the best possible choice. All-in-one, duplex printing, and 2200 pages in a B&W cartridge (according to hp anyway).

Relatedly, I'm looking for an economical black and white laser that has duplex and copying. Wireless would a nice plus as well.
I've been looking at the MFC-7440 and MFC-7840, are they as good as the Brother 2200-series?

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

Fruits of the sea posted:

If you absolutely need color inkjet, that's probably the best possible choice. All-in-one, duplex printing, and 2200 pages in a B&W cartridge (according to hp anyway).

Relatedly, I'm looking for an economical black and white laser that has duplex and copying. Wireless would a nice plus as well.
I've been looking at the MFC-7440 and MFC-7840, are they as good as the Brother 2200-series?

MFC7840W is a drat good printer, but if you've got time, wait a few months and see what new models come out which are better then this one and replace it, kinda like the HL2270W replaced the HL2170W, though I cannot mention any particular numbers yet. They'll be available come March.

Toothy posted:

See above. If you want laser, the DCP585CW may not be good since it's inkjet, it does have a scanner however. Depends on how much you want to spend as an initial investment. Laser printers have a higher initial investment but a lower cost per page, inkjets are opposit this.

Vitae fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 25, 2011

The Jizzer
Mar 19, 2003

...a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.
I've had the Dell 3130cn for a few months now and it's awesome. Fast, great color rendition, low toner usage, and consumables aren't terribly expensive.

Also it works with coated (glossy) paper. Best $300 I've ever spent.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Someone asked me for recommendations on a Fax/Copy/Scanner. The requirements are a little strange as she doesn't know what she's trying to do so far, but it sounds like faxing (5 faxes a week?) network scanning, and copying (but I don't understand that, they have a big huge copier for copies).

So these are some contenders:
Brother MFC7440n: $249, is a brother, etc etc
HP M1536dnf: Also $249, looks to be identical in features to the Brother
HP M1212nf: $199, but only supports host based printing, so I'm thinking that would be bad if it ever does get used as a printer in our networked environment, but they already have a real printer, so that shouldn't even be an issue.

Any thoughts anybody?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Office Depot in the US has the Brother HL-2270DW for $99.99, and at the Ben's Bargains web site they list a $20 coupon code. Just add an eraser to push your cart total over $100 and away you go! Shipping is free, too.

It came out to $86.25 for me after tax. I hope it's nice!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Office Depot in the US has the Brother HL-2270DW for $99.99, and at the Ben's Bargains web site they list a $20 coupon code. Just add an eraser to push your cart total over $100 and away you go! Shipping is free, too.

Amazon currently has it for straight up $80 (with free shipping, either SUper Saver or 2-day if you're a member of Prime.)

I think I'm going to have to get it, since I came to the realization I don't really need a color laser.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Amazon currently has it for straight up $80 (with free shipping, either SUper Saver or 2-day if you're a member of Prime.)

I think I'm going to have to get it, since I came to the realization I don't really need a color laser.

Thanks for the heads up. Same deal at NewEgg (limit 2).

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I don't know if I missed it, but I'm in the market for a new printer. It must do the following things:

- Wireless networking. Tired of messing with wires.
- Flatbed scanner. The girlfriend scans a lot of documents, while I have to scan a lot of receipts.

We were sharing a single printer in a Windows homegroup, with an extended USB cord connected to my PC. However, she cannot scan through the homegroup, which means she needs to unplug the cord from my computer, get another extension cable, and then plug it into her computer. Even then, there will be weeks at a time where I'm not home for business and she needs to print so she either has to boot up my PC just to print, or repeat the grab-the-usb-extension-cable bit. That gets tiring after a while.

Any suggestions? Budget is not too much of an issue, but I'd like to keep it under $300 if possible.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

kimcicle posted:

I don't know if I missed it, but I'm in the market for a new printer. It must do the following things:

- Wireless networking. Tired of messing with wires.
- Flatbed scanner. The girlfriend scans a lot of documents, while I have to scan a lot of receipts.

We were sharing a single printer in a Windows homegroup, with an extended USB cord connected to my PC. However, she cannot scan through the homegroup, which means she needs to unplug the cord from my computer, get another extension cable, and then plug it into her computer. Even then, there will be weeks at a time where I'm not home for business and she needs to print so she either has to boot up my PC just to print, or repeat the grab-the-usb-extension-cable bit. That gets tiring after a while.

Any suggestions? Budget is not too much of an issue, but I'd like to keep it under $300 if possible.

Brother MFC-7840W $269. Haven't used it myself, but it's Brother.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
My parent's own a restaurant and we're considering printing take out menus ourselves to be able to change prices and rotate specials more often. We'd like to print 100-200 menus at a time with 2 colors, and they are double sided. I was looking into color laser printers. I'd also like to be able to print the dine in menus on a thicker card stock that is 11x17.

I've been looking at this HP Color LaserJet CP2025dn http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828115250

The replacement seem pretty expensive ~$100 per cartridge(4 total), but it looks like we'd get 3,000 prints out of it.

Would we be better off getting a duplexing inkjet? Would the quality be the same? Speed of printing is not really an issue.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

My parent's own a restaurant and we're considering printing take out menus ourselves to be able to change prices and rotate specials more often. We'd like to print 100-200 menus at a time with 2 colors, and they are double sided. I was looking into color laser printers. I'd also like to be able to print the dine in menus on a thicker card stock that is 11x17.

I've been looking at this HP Color LaserJet CP2025dn http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828115250

The replacement seem pretty expensive ~$100 per cartridge(4 total), but it looks like we'd get 3,000 prints out of it.

Would we be better off getting a duplexing inkjet? Would the quality be the same? Speed of printing is not really an issue.

The printer you linked to won't handle 11X17. If that's important to you, your budget might be blown.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Guy Axlerod posted:

The printer you linked to won't handle 11X17. If that's important to you, your budget might be blown.

Eff, ok. I think we can prob do up to $450 any other suggestions?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Bumping this. My Laserjet 2605dn is dying, thanks to a nice crippling design flaw that makes the printer basically kill itself after a couple years.

I'd like to replace it with a color laser multifunction as I do still occasionally have the need to fax/scan/etc.

My requirements:

• Built in duplexer
  • Network support (wired or wireless, I don't care)
  • Windows 7 64bit and Mac OS X support for all functions (I assume this is a given these days, but who knows)
  • Scan to network/email/usb stick would be nice

The Brother models look pretty decent, but people seem to whine about the fairly standard lovely industry practice of artificially claiming that toner cartridges are empty when they actually aren't. Any other big issues with Brother other than that?

The MFC-9840CDW looks pretty close to what I'm looking for, anyone have any experiences with this particular model?

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

Maneki Neko posted:

The MFC-9840CDW looks pretty close to what I'm looking for, anyone have any experiences with this particular model?

Yes. I wouldn't recommend the MFC9840CDW since some new models have been released which basically trumps this one.
Check out the MFC-9970CDW
http://www.brother-usa.com/MFC/Mode...FC9970CDW_Click

Same features, more recent, upgraded, etc.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

Vitae posted:

I purchased the HL-2270DW last month and it's been excellent. I've gone through a few reams since then, and am finishing the cartridge that comes with the printer.

Duplex is awesome, wireless is awesome, and it works with Mac and PCs.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

what is this posted:

I purchased the HL-2270DW last month and it's been excellent. I've gone through a few reams since then, and am finishing the cartridge that comes with the printer.

Duplex is awesome, wireless is awesome, and it works with Mac and PCs.

I'm excited. I'm selling my 2170W to my sister and picking up the 2270DW for myself. Amazon has it selling for $90 with free shipping.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Ok, so HL-2270DW is the new HL-2170W?

My 2170W is awesome, and my dad wants one now. They're gone everywhere, of course.

I will send him the HL-2270DW link then if it works the same as the HL-2170W. He just wants good, wireless printer like mine.

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

Xenomorph posted:

Ok, so HL-2270DW is the new HL-2170W?

My 2170W is awesome, and my dad wants one now. They're gone everywhere, of course.

I will send him the HL-2270DW link then if it works the same as the HL-2170W. He just wants good, wireless printer like mine.

Pretty much, though you can compare the two models and features with this link: http://www.brother-usa.com/Printer/CompareList.aspx?ModelList=hl2170W,HL2270DW

Just to get an idea of the upgrades ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Anyone have any experiences with aftermarket ink and/or toner?

The toner light on my Canon laser has started flashing after three years of use. New OEM toner cartridges are $70. However, a large variety of aftermarket cartridges are available from $30-50. I've read plenty of horror stories about aftermarket ink and toner being generally worthless or causing actual damage to equipment, but I don't want to spend more money than necessary on something that's only going to be used occasionally.

• Locked thread