Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

CrazyLittle posted:

Cut me some slack for not remembering a printer that I never cared about (beyond its amazingly loud screeching noise) Either way, yeah, early dot matrixes sucked really really hard.

They still do, I use a 9 pin Oki and there's a huge tractor feed something or other in another office that takes ink ribbons that look like a pair of hockey pucks. Loud as gently caress and sometimes the big one goes nuts and prints random poo poo until it uses up the whole box of paper.

The Oki is easy to troubleshoot though. Either it needs a new ribbon, someone started a new box of paper and didn't put the little spikes in the holes right, or the paper output curled into the paper input and it's wrapped itself up like a present. No idea what the deal is with the big one, it does it every couple of months usually overnight. Fortunately it's not my office and my only responsibility is to put the ink ribbon in it, and only because the head of that office asked me nicely to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Gromit posted:

I was looking for some hardware prices at work a few days ago and was amazed to find a place that still sold dot matrix printers. They were going for up to $800, too.
What is the market that still has a need for dot matrix?

There's no real reason we couldn't run the same reports we use the oki for on the regular laser other than it being already configured to print to the oki, and the horrible mishmash of software and bad networking the dealership runs on being what it is, nobody wants to touch it. When the warranty claim register is long it's nice to not have it clogging up our billing printer, but it could just as easily be a seperate 1 tray laser instead of a dot matrix.

I don't really know what the big beast is used for, I just put the ink ribbons in it.

They are incredibly reliable and like I said really easy to troubleshoot, which is an advantage in an environment with a lot of crap in the air. Also they don't go tits up when the dumb bint who orders the office supplies gets the shittiest toner cartridges that crap toner all over the inside of the printer and kill it. (did you know toner is conductive? I didn't until I got this job!)

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Gromit posted:

You mean something that you could just print 3 copies of in a laser? When was the last time you needed to actually sign a carbon-copy form, rather than just be handed a duplicate?
I just can't think of any reason they are still in use that isn't an excuse for poor practice, or "it ain't broke so I ain't fixin' it." Then again, I've not priced fanfold 3-copy carbon forms lately. Perhaps they are priced favourably with plain laser or thermal paper?

No, they're not. It's a combination of inertia, standardization, and the way it's kludged into the system was done by someone who hasn't worked there in 10 years and nobody quite knows how it works.

These same carbon paper forms are the reason we have mechanical typewriters.

Carbon(less) copy paper makes sense for some things, like time flags, tow sheets, and those multipoint inspection sheets. Things you either fill out by hand or stick in the time clock and want multiple copies. poo poo that can be printed should be provided digitally and printed in however many multiples you need.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

ufarn posted:

Can anyone help me colour calibrate my Brother HL-4570CDW? The default colours are f'ing *atrocious*, so I'm basically left with a printer that can't print photos, if I don't calibrate it.

I have a 4070CDW and there's a color calibration option in the menu on the machine itself. I had to turn the red down a little in it because mine was making everything way too red, now it looks pretty good.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

ufarn posted:

I know, but I have no clue what to set the settings to, and I have absolutely no skill in calibrating.

I just picked a picture and kept messing with the settings until it looked good.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Vitae posted:

Heads up for all you HL-2170W lovers.
Pick up the HL-2270DW, it's the upgrade. It's not only wireless, it's duplex. It's not only duplex and wireless, it also has a nice feature called:
"Oh god what do I do my toner says its empty but I still need to print I don't care about the quality!!" ..feature. Basically you can tell the printer to still print with the little toner left in the cartridge until it's completely bone dry. You'll get crap for quality, but it works!

drat! I might have to jump on that, I love my HL-2040 but duplexing would be loving awesome. I have to print one side and put it back the right way to print the other side when I make two sided fliers or folding pamphlets.

Also I <3 Brother printers because they never give me driver problems, regardless of OS.

pienipple fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 19, 2011

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Got a little cash for my birthday so I hopped on the $90 HL-2270DW deal. :toot:

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

what is this posted:

I purchased the HL-2270DW last month and it's been excellent. I've gone through a few reams since then, and am finishing the cartridge that comes with the printer.

Duplex is awesome, wireless is awesome, and it works with Mac and PCs.

I've been using mine for a bit now and it's awesome. It's louder than my old HL-2040 when printing but the print quality is better at the same quality settings, wireless is loving boss, and auto duplexing is awesome.

Working fine in Linux, just had to look up wtf the tumble/notumble settings did. Tumble prints the second side upside down so if you flipped the paper longways it'd be right side up, notumble prints the second side right side up so you'd flip it horizontally like normal.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
My mom's HL-4070CDW has been blopping the yellow and blue toner on the pages since we put new cartridges in it. Opened it up today and all three color carts (TN-115s) are leaking like mad. I called up Brother and they're sending me new cartridges with 3 day delivery, I was on the phone less than 15 minutes.

Brother customer service owns.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Our ancient Lexmark T620s were replaced with T640s (yes these are also old, they fit on the drawers we already have and are supported by our Dealer Management Software which is an arcane pile of code and chewing gum) which worked decently for a few months.

Now they're pretty much just as lovely as the 620s were. We were out of commission for a while when someone tried to clear a paper jam and the sheet ripped off at the fuser so there was a ragged edge showing if you took the toner cart out and the rest of the sheet was rolled up on the other side, visible with the rear door open but not accessible behind all the plastic teeth of the redrive unit.

Our worthless printer management company promises they'll be there "sometime in the next 6 hours".

I took the back of the machine off with the aid of a googled manual for a similar model and managed to extract the paper with a pair of needle nose pliers without scratching the fuser.

It's still jamming up frequently. Printer repair guy never showed, now claims he'll be here tomorrow morning.

I hate printers.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
If it's been in the sealed package it's probably fine. Shake it and see if it's still liquid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
You can change a setting in the web console to let it print past the "oh no it's low" alarm.

• Locked thread