Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel
Hey, I need reccommendations for a printer that can do the following:

- Print text (so Mono is good!)
- Automatic duplex (that is, it can print on both sides of a page automatically).
- Prints fairly fast (anything around 20+ ppm (single sided) is good, obv duplex will be slower)
- Toner is reasonably priced.
- Networked (Wifi or Ethernet are both fine, with Wifi preferred).
- Available in the UK!
- Wont break in 3 months. I will probably print around 400 pages per month, nothing crazy.
- 150 pounds or less.
- MAC and Windows friendly.

I like to carry around what I print, so the duplexing is very helpful since it reduces the weight I need to carry.

This site is pretty awesome for costing out these things btw:
http://www.printware.co.uk/Printers...pt%5B%5D=duplex
However I need your help in terms of rating build quality, annoyingness, and perhaps you are familiar with other options not displayed on the site.

At the moment, the one i've found is the Samsung ML 2855ND
http://www.printware.co.uk/Products/0a20a39e-43af-11de-b4f7-000f206c8075/Samsung-ML-2855ND/Range.html
Which seems to do what I want, anyone have any experience with these?? (The toner seems a bit pricey at about 2.5p per page. Or ~70 pounds per school year)

This Dell is a bit above my price point, but has cheaper toner, and considering page cost would come out about the same, and a 'free 2 year warranty.' This is my preferred model but is out of stock :( (1.3p per page, ~36 pounds per school year):
http://www.printware.co.uk/products/3414b12c-f91e-11dd-b4f7-000f206c8075/Dell-2330dn/Item.html

Also, what is with the "Dell imaging Drum" that does 30,000 pages for 41 pounds? Is this like a revolution in toner costs, or is it just a wear and tear part that needs replacing that you still need to buy toner to put inside?

Anti-Derivative fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 10, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel
I got the dell. The Dell driver did not work with Snow Leopard. However, apparently the thing is just a rebranded lexmark E360dn, so it actually works out of the box, full functionality, with the Snow Leopard's driver for that printer, and it works *really well*.

I got it off eBay for 89 pounds from a very reputable vendor, so while I lose the warranty, if it holds up for even a few months i'm set.

So far?
This thing is crisp. The prints are beautiful, and of course, being a laser don't smudge when I use my highlighter on the paper. It spits out pages faster than my giant printer at work, and automatically pulls them back in to print the other side. It has a loving webserver on it (im running it over ethernet, plugged directly into my network) which i can connect to and change settings etc.

Basically I'm very pleased with it at the moment, but we'll see how it pans out in the long run.

• Locked thread