Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Anyone have ideas for silly/fun things I can do at my Encounters table to get them in the spirit of Dark Sun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

haha yeah I was thinking of not allowing any drinks or snacks until they salvage some supplies :11tea:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I'm probably going to use some of the Diablo II soundtrack, too

alg
Mar 14, 2007

You guys will really want to get in on the Free RPG Day package, it's a Dark Sun adventure, but the best thing is it comes with an absolutely massive arena map. This thing is sweet, I need to figure out how to scan it for my Maptool game when we go Dark Sun this winter.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

ritorix posted:

Dont you pretty much have to run a store to get those things.

nope, it's Free RPG Day, your store should get like 20 of them to give away to players.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Dark Sun Encounters freaking owned, nobody at my table bitched about the pregens and they loved the new races. A few really braved the wastes to save the party and it paid off. Nobody died but everyone was very low on HP after 4 rounds of combat. They fled the caravan with a few supplies each on their way into the desolate Tablelands. :clint:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Speaking of Riker, I came up with something for my game. We're on D&D hiatus right now playing Star Wars Saga until Dark Sun comes out. The finale of the Forgotten Realms campaign featured the heroes' ship being destroyed by a kraken, and I was going to have the players write the epilogues for their characters about what happened to them as they went on to Paragon or Epic tier.

For the move to Dark Sun, I want to have this campaign take place in a Mirror Universe kind of thing. Their characters will be a mirror universe counterpart of their old characters; the same race, but different role, class, etc. They would meet mirror universe NPCs from their previous campaign, too. I ran this by the players, because they really liked their characters from the last game, and so far I've gotten enthusiastic responses.

These characters will again begin at level 1 but I'm hoping this time they can master the system so we can progress to Paragon.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

the least amount of facial hair any character can have is a goatee

I may rule that razors just aren't common in Dark Sun due to the metal being expensive and metal working not being common

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Kerison posted:

flint shaving razors have been around for 30,000 years

roll a Dexterity check to see if you cut yourself shavin' that beard

alg
Mar 14, 2007

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on how or where I might get my hands on a copy of the adventure/encounters for the Dark Sun encounters campaign? I'd love to run them as an introduction game for some new players.

(I do realise they're only released week-by-week)

talk to your FLGS

alg
Mar 14, 2007

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Okay, fired off messages to both the major stores around here. Any other suggestions, or a goon who could hook me up?

(I don't think anyone is actually running them in Melbourne, AUS, hence my problem.)

EDIT: Just saw that there are 3 locations listed on the WotC website for Melbourne, so I've hit them up too.

theoretically if your FLGS isn't running it, you could take the exam to become a WPN Judge, set up your location as that FLGS, and order it yourself. :effort:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

They won't be doing a Living Dark Sun campaign for RPGA

alg
Mar 14, 2007

RodneyThompson posted:

Hey guys!

So, I got invited to join the discussion, and since another one of my friends is an SA forum member (and I've enjoyed SA the site for years) I figured I'd pop in here and say hello, and let you guys know that I've read through the thread. Though obviously I won't be able to divulge anything too top secret, I'm happy to talk about Dark Sun in general.

Cool of you to stop by. My players are having an absolute blast with Dawn of Defiance (we're on Queen of Air and Darkness, they're pumped to enter the Tournament tonight) and I'm really looking forward to what you do with Dark Sun.

From the preview material, and Encounters/Free RPG Day, Divine classes are out. I understand the primordials killed the gods in the past, but from what I've looked at in 2E Clerics could worship the elements. Why isn't that in 4E Dark Sun?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

It's kind of funny that there are a few people in here complaining about metaplot ruining Dark Sun and then praising the choice to set it right after Kalak's death.

I hope I didn't come off as complaining, I just have a player who is all :allears: about Clerics

alg
Mar 14, 2007

my guys almost let Yuka go unconscious from ongoing damage to get the renown for reviving a fallen ally :v:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Ulta posted:

Does the shaman character for free rpg day not have a daily or am I missing something?

Yeah I noticed this the other day. I'm going to find something for her and print it out.

I'm also re-writing the first arena combat to make it interesting.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Crap, my local game/comic shop isn't participating in Encounters or Free RPG Day, because it doesn't result in enhanced sales for them.

my FLGS is running a sale on pre-orders for materials related to the free RPG day stuff, there are going to be a ton of people there Saturday

alg
Mar 14, 2007

the latter half of the adventure is kinda lovely, but the first half is awesome, especially with arena combat re-written to something fun.

I'm getting the maps scanned in sometime soon, so I'll :filez: them for ya'll

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I am not too familiar with a lot of monsters from previous editions, so this may help a DM who is running Bloodsand Arena. These guys show up and aren't really described at all. Spoilering it in case someone plays!

The gith are a race of grotesque humanoids that appear to be a
peculiar mixture of elf and reptile. They are extremely gaunt and
lanky, with long gangling arms and spindly legs. Their hands have
three fingers with no opposable thumb, yet they are able to use tools
and wield weapons. Both their fingers and toes end in sharp claws.
If one could get a gith to stand up straight, he would measure close
to seven feet tall. However, most gith appear to be no more than five
feet tall, for they stand hunched over at the shoulders.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Are Sunwarped Flats new, or were they in previous editions? They seem almost exactly like plaguechanged lands in Forgotten Realms. (not exactly in the sense that a mark is like WoW or a bicycle and a car are the same thing)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

the first Dark Sun night? are you from 4 weeks in the past? :v:

Chris Tulach just sent out a big e-mail the other day basically apologizing for his lil' bro who designed the modules. If your DM runs it by the book and doesn't really read the module ahead of time, people will die every week.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

CombatWombat posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

It's designed to get new people interested in the game. Only a grognard delights in dying on the first round of his first 4E game.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

We had 3 players (one guy was a 3.5 player who wanted to watch and absolutely wouldn't play) Barcan, Jarvix, and Shakira.

The first elemental did its burst, bloodied both casters and blinded everyone. After that I just let them go at it a bit, fudging some rolls. Shakira went unconscious, I was hoping one of the casters would go to revive him but they didn't, so I had Ralo revive him.

The first combat of chapter 2 has 2 corruption corpses standing at the end of a bridge which collapses if 2 PCs stand on it

It's easy to fix their encounters but it's obvious they didn't do any playtesting. No new art on the Chapter 2 cover either :(

alg
Mar 14, 2007

The Alienist, the best paragon path

alg
Mar 14, 2007

normally i wouldn't read a d&d novel, but i'm pumped for Dark Sun. are there any good Dark Sun novels?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

So, there are sandworms on Athas right? That's what my players will want.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Dune. Desert planet.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Squizzle posted:

They're attracted to vibration, so your players will want to walk without rhythm if they don't want to attract them.

:woop:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Next month there will be a Worldwide Game Day for Dark Sun, if you're a cool Dark Sun DM like me perhaps you should request the materials from your FLGS so you can run it for them!

edit: less than a month until the books hit :woop:

alg fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 7, 2010

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Araxidin posted:

Had a great time DMing Dark sun Encounters today. Managed to kill one player (he had failed two death saves from the previous fight).

short rests will reset death saves, just fyi

alg
Mar 14, 2007

holy moly

Is anyone still planning on Encounters tomorrow night? The next combat is really cool :clint:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

that Thri-Kreen is obviously wearing greaves

the Thri-Kreen in MM3 looks just like the old Thri-Kreen, they didn't make any design choices

alg
Mar 14, 2007

this week, spoilering it since it seems people are behind

the players moved into the caves and found a rickety rope bridge. on the other side a glint of metal caught their eye. when they moved across to investigate two corruption corpses and an ooze attacked. after they moved in further a griefmote attacked. it was a pretty even combat with my party of 6.

after they defeated the monsters they found piecemeal armor, two vials of panther tears, and part of a map with comments about how men didn't want to continue on

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I really hope the other monsters in DSCC are as cool as Lalali-Puy. Obviously she is level 28 and a solo but she has some really cool new stuff.

Oba’s Grasp F Recharge 6
Attack: Close burst 15 (one creature cursed by Lalali-Puy in
burst); +32 vs. Fortitude
Hit: Lalali-Puy ends one effect on her, including one that does
not normally end on a save, and subjects the target to the
same effect (save ends).

This kind of mechanic is awesome and might make Solo encounters a lot more interesting.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

man I hope the rest of the chapter previews aren't as barren as the races of Athas article. I wanted to know what was up with Tieflings, Dragonborn, and Eladrin. I just got a Goliath paragon path.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

inherent bonuses are different from boons, though. the boons in Dark Sun are a way of giving Magic Item rewards as favors of organizations or powerful beings.

in Encounters two characters get a boon from being members of the Veiled Alliance.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

yep! it gives them a bonus to Bluff and allows them a daily power to go invisible after using an Arcane Power (one of them doesn't have any, so I ruled that the theme power she got was Arcane)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I really like how that Warlock at-will can be used melee touch.

2 weeks!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

hopefully by this time next week I'll have my books :ohdear:

is anyone still going to Encounters? I had a blast running for my table last night. Giving out the coozies for moments of greatness is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

my guys are going to switch sometime in December when we finish Star Wars Dawn of Defiance. I've an idea of a couple of plot threads in my head, but mostly it's going to be an anything goes Conan style type of adventure. They really liked their old character so they will be "mirror universe" characters of their old ones; they will look somewhat the same, but have facial hair, different mannerisms, different personalities, and different classes.

They are definitely going to start in an Arena, fighting for an owner who was their commanding officer in their old campaign. What they do from there is up to them.

• Locked thread