Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Pfox posted:

Thri-kreen broke me of my elf addiction. I'm so glad this is the next setting to be released.

Thri-kreen have a bit of an elf addiction problem themselves.

They eat them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Yeah the thing about Dark Sun dragons is there really arent any. No reds or golds or bronzes. Dragons are the evil result of life-sucking epic magical transformations which cause the death of thousands and the blighting of the world.

Or you could be an Avangian. It was the good counterpart, and included as a path for PCs to pursue and counter the world-destroying influence of the sorcerer-kings (the dragons). Of course if anyone found out you were going this route (or the dragon path) you would be a target for all the others to destroy; they didnt want competition.

Not that any real games actually reached that level. Its hard to get a 20th level (2e rules) wizard when you died at 5th level because your half-giant buddy got thirsty and went berserk.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

tendrilsfor20 posted:

Also, someone dig up that post about resetting 4e Dark Sun in the Green Age, right when the genocides are starting off.

I never got to play it unfortunately, we are still doing a Realms campaign. I did stick to canon when putting this idea to paper, so it will give a good idea of Dark Sun ancient history. Thankfully they got away from the "everything is core" concept for Dark Sun; they wont be forcing things in that dont belong. Still, the idea below could be used for a generic fantasy campaign with that DS feel. Just with less deserts and thistyness.

Ritorix posted:

Back when I played Dark Sun (in the 2e days) I always thought a Green Age campaign would be fun, but never got around to it.

After seeing what happened to FR, I am kind of worried about what 4e could do to Dark Sun. The 'everything is core' concept wont work at all, and I doubt they are willing to flesh out Athas in the way it deserves while staying true to the setting we love.

There is however one way to do it, to fill a shadowy period of Athas's history and use the 'everything is core' concept while leaving classic Dark Sun as-is. Set it in the Green Age. The world is dying around you, entire civilizations fall as the world turns to dust. No gods exist to save you, no afterlife to reward you, but its not the end just yet. Its a setting of dark fantasy and desperate heroes, the last of their kind struggling against the near-unstoppable servants of Rajaat. This is the time of the Cleansing Wars, end of an Age.

The more I thought about this the more I liked it, until I had to write up a concept. So apologies if this has been done before, but to get it off my mind...

DS4E: The Cleansing Wars

Setting: Green Age, Athas, 100 years into the Cleansing Wars. The Tablelands. The Green Age is near its end, marked by warring city-states, holy crusades against monstrous races and strong racial distrust. These are the early stages of the Cleansing Wars. Soon vast armies will clash as Rajaat's insane dream is made reality. The land and its people are dieing. Forests are plentiful but retreating, desertification has begun, silt has started to clog the oceans, rivers are drying up. The Tablelands may soon fall, and when they do, all of Athas will perish.

Feel: This is not the original Dark Sun. That world has not yet been created, but it will if the Cleansing Wars run their course. The Green Age has a typical D&D fantasy feel, but in the middle of a world war. The war has gone on a hundred years and taken many forms, but has another thousand to go. No races are yet extinct, and the war's effects are not irreversible. In another century that may not be true.

Cosmology: In the ancient past, before even the Blue Age, primordials won control of the world and cut off access to the astral planes of the gods. Victorious, they have long-since returned to the Elemental planes. Athas is abandoned. While no true gods intercede on behalf of Athasians, religion is still common. The Divine Power source functions even with false gods based on the faith of believers, fueled by the innate psionics common on Athas. The faithful believe; their power of belief gives life to 'divine' powers. Some also draw power through the Elemental Chaos, Abyss and weirder sources. The Feywild still exists, not yet drained of its rampant life and discarded. So too does the Shadowfell, not yet targeted by a souls-defiling disaster and converted into the Grey.

Cities: All original major DS cities exist, some with a culture similar to their mirror in the original DS setting. Along with those are cities that are in ruins in the classic DS setting (Bodach, etc). Some are under SK control, directly or indirectly, while others are free. Green Age cities are impressive sights, with massive castles, thick stone walls and deadly defenses protecting large and diverse populations.

History and background:
Rajaat, inventor of magic and father of all arcane power, long ago began teaching preserving magic to Athasians throughout the world. Schools of magic flourished as different races explored the new power source, one that came from life itself. Yet Rajaat picked the best students for himself - to see if they have the fortitude and mentality for defiling. Powerful preservers were then wiped out in the Preserver Jihad, a private magical war conducted between mighty figures far from the sight of normal men. With opposition destroyed and his sorcerer-kings in place, the Cleansing Wars quietly began, with intrigue and assassinations.

The Cleansing War. The important detail is that no one knew it was coming or, initially, what was happening. Crusades were declared in the name of false gods, intent on ridding the land of goblins, trolls and orcs. Rumors of war turned into all-out battle between several nations. Defiling magic was taught in secret cabals to anyone who would misuse it, on any side, resulting in devastation of crops and ruining the futures of entire cultures. Crops failed as the land dried and countless people starved. Dust began to clog the rivers and seas, slowing commerce and making water a valuable resource.

Rajaat has infused each of his sorcerer-kings with great power, and tasked them with the removal of one race. Each is independent, their army sizes and tactics vary, if they have an army at all, and they rarely meet. Some have a far harder job than others. Some will set themselves as great leaders of men, others as religious figures, others at the head of mystic cults. Their goals are the same, and it will take another thousand years for the Cleansing Wars to truly end. That end has already been written: many races eliminated and others on the verge of extinction, the imprisonment of Rajaat and ruining of the entire world. The fate of Athas is written in stone and history marches to that inevitable conclusion if no heroes rise to stop it.

Races/classes: "everything is core", all PHB1/PHB2 races and classes. The Green Age was close enough to typical D&D fantasy before Rajaat began his crusade, and even creatures like devas have found their way to Athas (or been trapped there) during that time. Obviously psionics are a large part of the world, but they are not in 4th edition yet. In the meantime, we have divine powers as a substitute. The sorcerer-kings have not yet been empowered to have their own templars. There should be some other Dark Sun-style game mechanics, and I envision this as a less forgiving setting than vanilla D&D, though not to the stat- and power-boosted extremes of original Dark Sun.

Campaign ideas: (Heroic Tier)

-The party has fought long in the Goblin Crusades, following the charismatic wizard-warlord Daskinor. He has guided them to victory after brutal victory, and the foul goblins have retreated to their remote mountain strongholds. The crusade turns merciless, slaughtering even helpless children in the name of God and King. The crusade has become corrupt, and it becomes clear that Daskinor will not stop until the creatures have been completely eliminated.

-A dwarven stronghold sends a plea for assistance, desperately fighting a massive orc invasion. Not content to simply murder dwarves, the orcs defile the very land and augment their forces with evil magic. The players determine a mysterious figure is directing the orcs, driving them forth in suicidal battle.

Sea of Silt - Silt is basically soil along with the ash and dust left over from defiling magic. When you kill off all the green growing things, that dirt washes right into the ocean. Eventually the water itself went away, only the dirt remained. So now besides the giants you have underwater (undersilt?) giant worm things that emerge and eat you. Its a great place to die.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 4, 2009

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

ManMythLegend posted:

I'm going to repost my 4E coversion of Borys from the homebrew thread because I want to see was other sweet 4E conversions people have done.

I will give a try at one of my old favorites: the tembo. In 2e, tembos were nocturnal pack critters with psionics and a level-draining bite. They had 4HD (hit dice), could dodge missiles, drain life, a bunch of defensive psionics, make 5 attacks per round (4 claws and a drain bite) and were basically a giant 'gently caress you' to players everywhere. Oh and their favorite food was children.

So. I tried to keep it simple.

And thats what passes as a "natural beast" on Athas.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 4, 2009

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

tendrilsfor20 posted:

Why is one of its powers a "Daily"? The only time I've ever seen a daily on a monster was on a Lich that theoretically would be encountering a party more than one time before an extended rest, since it specifically says that it runs when first bloodied to spend a healing surge and return later.

Same thing, who cares. Its a 'once per fight' option. If they do run away they cant keep coming back in stealth and redoing it.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

ManMythLegend posted:

Does anybody know what the story behind this map of Athas is:

Was it something vaguely official like an art book or is it just some fan wank?

Its a fan work. Someone wrapped the official and fan maps around a globe. You can make out the dead lands in the south (black), the kreen empire in the green west, and a lot of fan-made lands to the east.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Reveilled posted:

How did a huge area like the Savannah avoid the same fate as the rest of the world regarding Defiler magic?

The Crimson Savannah is dominated by Kreen, known for their short lifespan. While the land was initially depleted by defiling magic same as everywhere else, generations of kreen corpses have quickly rejuvenated the local soil.

Ok not really. But for some reason kreen were excluded from the Cleansing Wars that eliminated orcs, goblins and various fey. So I guess their lands were avoided too. Its probably just a loophole in the setting. Theres a bunch of that in the 2nd boxed set, which is why it should be mostly ignored.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

ManMythLegend posted:

So apparently being magical doesn't automatically negate the fact that a weapon is made of sub-standard material. Dark Sun was harsher then I remember I guess.

Nonmetal weapons broke if you rolled a 1 on a d20 after inflicting max damage with the weapon. We never played like that for enchanted items though. But the material penalties still applied, so a bone dagger +1 was as good as a normal metal dagger.

All of Baxa's art from the Gladiator book was good.

Also, hey lets fight a rampager with sticks.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 10, 2009

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Athas was a pretty harsh landscape.

Hey look an oasis, I'm thirsty.

About that Silt Sea...

Even the cacti fought back.

Sloths? Yeah, we got sloths. No, you cant outrun them.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Ticking Timebomb posted:

On the other hand, 1st level PCs in this edition are much tougher than they ever were at 3rd level in 2e.

I dont know about that, a 2nd edition Dark Sun character was pretty drat beefy compared with the other settings at the time. 2e could be min-maxed heavily, and once the 24-strength half giant gladiators with multi-specialization and armor optimization showed up to the party, wild talents in tow, combat was pretty much over. Inferior weapon and armor materials barely made a dent in that power curve, and that only at the lower levels. A -1 to hit and damage for using a bone item wasnt much of an obstacle when you had over 20 str.

Casters had their advantages too, I've been putting one together for the DS pbp. I had forgotten how overpowered some of the 2e psionics stuff was.

Strong characters, compared with the vanilla setting, were part of the DS appeal. I imagine they will preserve that through a .campaign file for the Character Builder that allows for higher stats or the like.

The balancing side of that elevated power curve is adding difficult challenges for those beefy characters to face (and die fighting). Thats where I think 4E DS will have to do a lot of the design work. 4E already has power creep, making even-level encounters trivial compared to when 4E came out (or maybe thats just me). Hopefully 4E DS can make even the typical encounters into something more significant than just chipping away at party healing surges. Healing surge manipulation from the environment could help (dehydration, defiling, overheating). So would a revised encounter XP table, neutering the loot-centric reward tables and the Wish List concept.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
From the publishing perspective, no new class means a ton of page space in the Player's Guide for...something else. The swordmage ate up like 30 pages of the FRPG. Of course Deities will be skipped too. So they have a lot of 'extra' space to fill with DS-specific goodies.

Like lots of new/modified races. Or wild talents or defiling or lots of setting-specific new gear. But none of that would be a big surprise, its all reasonably expected as part of DS. A surprise would be something like a detailed character tree system, gladiatorial rules for every class, or an expanded epic-level game for advanced beings.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Ah hell I almost missed it!

Someone tried to start a 2e PBP earlier and it fizzled out. Better luck this time.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

ManMythLegend posted:

I don't see a submission in there young man.

Just for that, you get a halfling.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
So the concept of warforged in 4E DS just doesnt fit.

How are you supposed to have a harsh low-resource setting when a player doesnt need to drink, eat or breath? Its going to be four players battling it out over that last full waterskin while a warforged yawns and says 'whatever guys, work it out.' Walk along the bottom of the Silt Sea, trek across a desert for weeks, who cares when all environments are equally survivable.

I'm sure it will work out fine in the PBP with a good DM and players, but hopefully Wizards either adds some resource requirements ("you need to lube up!") or ditches the race for official release.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 1, 2009

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Blowupologist posted:

As for metal, there are plenty of ceramic materials out there that would make sense as a body.

Looking through the original DS monster book (1992!), they actually had full golem creation rules. Ash, chitin, obsidian, rock, sand, and even wood golems. Lots of variety.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

PeterWeller posted:

Metal is scarce on Athas because most of it was mined out to make weapons and armor during the Green Age and the Cleansing Wars.

This. The limiting factor for metal in Dark Sun is the lack of raw materials, they were literally all used up. Tyr has the last iron mine which is how it gets away with a small army of well-equipped elite soldiers. Even Tyr's slaves are more useful, given proper tools one slave in Tyr does the work of several slaves in Urik or elsewhere.

Kalak was so rich he used his vast wealth from the mines to fund his ziggurat, and for decades he pulled slaves out of the mines to finish the project.

A suit of field plate armor costs 2,000 gp on Athas, the equivalent of 200,000 gp on other AD&D® campaign worlds. Simply put, a sorcerer-king can either purchase several suits of field plate or build a substantial addition to his city walls.

vs

requirements to level-up as a dragon: The material components must include vast riches (at least 10,000 gp worth of jewels, gems, coins, or artistic treasures), a vast structure where the transformation might take place, and no fewer than 1,000 Hit Dice worth of living creatures for the life-leeching process. The riches vanish and the living creatures are slain one heartbeat after the defiler begins casting. The structure, which must cost more than 50,000 gp to build, is not destroyed and may be used again to cast this spell when attaining all three of the low levels.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
http://community.wizards.com/wotc_richbaker/blog/2009/09/29/dark_sun_the_dragons_bowl_and_worldbuilding

This is another designer for 4e dark sun. A guy who thought it was a good idea to get rid of the Silt Sea, because Silt doesnt exist in the real world. loving. Idiots.

Btw, Silt is in. He was overruled.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 21, 2009

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

PeterWeller posted:

What exactly do you want to see? I'm not sure we'll see any changes made to any classes. A slew of setting specific Paragon Paths and Epic Destinies is all that's really needed to flavor the current classes to Dark Sun.

I'm not expecting changes to actual powers and class features, but they will need some heavy flavoring for the divine and arcane power sources. Defiling looks like the new mechanic and may offer a preserve/defile choice for new arcane users. Then on the divine side you may have a templar/elemental choice as well. Or maybe the 'deities' list for DS will look like: "Hamanu, Nibenay, Fire, Water, Earth, Air..." with appropriate domains.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Oct 22, 2009

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

PeterWeller posted:

erdlu thigh battle axes and braxat hide armor

I'm looking forward to using the DMG2 rules for 'alternative rewards' on a DS campaign. Basically instead of doing the normal 4e magic item treadmill, it drastically cuts gold and items. The math then gets patched by giving bonuses directly to the characters, so at 8th level they may be using a normal thigh axe but at +2 attack and damage.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
That works out great, Dark Sun always had a ton of oddball monsters.

Theres also the token adventure:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/dndacc/253890000

Now that Tyr is free of Kalak the Sorcerer-King, opportunity abounds in the city and the surrounding wastes. But some see Kalak’s fall as the beginning of Tyr’s end, and the unpatrolled deserts nearby are rife with danger. Outlaws openly defy the city’s Revolutionary Council and threaten outlying holdings. If Tyr is to thrive, heroes must arise to tame the lawlessness and evil that threatens the free city.

This stand-alone D&D adventure is designed to take characters from 2nd to 5th level.

Looks like we get a reset of the story. That sure beats a 100-year leap. That also means all the old DS books might be very relevant. Having a 'Revolutionary Council' is slightly different, 2e Tyr had a 'Council of Advisors' led by characters from the line of novels they have re-released.

Would still like to see a DS game here on TG. If I wasnt already DMing a 4e game I would run one.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 15, 2009

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
For anyone not following the 4e Dark Sun designer's blog, heres the new bits:

-A ton of DS info will hit us on Jan 28-31 during a convention

-No bonus stats at character creation, thats an artifact from 2e that isnt really needed now. "12 is the new 15". Also helps portability to other settings.

-Dragonborn are dray. "The dragonborn (or dray) are a race of sorcerous merchants, hired spellcasters, pragmatic mercenaries, and maybe even slavers. They're not especially numerous, so you don't see a lot of them around. Their clans are like small, insular merchant houses, and they might serve as deal-brokers and moneylenders: disliked in many places, but regarded as very useful to have around." :jewish:

After reading his description of new dray, I like it. It fits.

-Belgoi. "The belgoi are psionic *fey*, not natural humanoids. That's why they have their supernatural powers and the strange but flavorful focus of a bell for their mental summons. The Feywild of Athas is in pretty poor shape (more on that in another post, I guess), so centuries ago the belgoi abandoned it and became roving nomadic predators in the deserts."

ritorix fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 17, 2009

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

PeterWeller posted:

Rich Baker has a new blog post up talking about Tyr and the Ringing Mountains

Yeah its looking better and better. Back when I used the Ringing Mountains it was dangerous in the sense that the halflings were vicious to outsiders, and the rest of the forest would eat you. Sometimes literally. You dont get to be a 500-year-old tree on Athas without eating a few muls.

The new primal focus means lots of halfling barbarians, which is awesome.

The Tyr timeline makes me want to write a short dungeon crawl for the slaying of Kalak, to introduce players to Tyr and the setting. Could even have a couple pre-made paragon tier characters for Agis, Sadira, Rikus, etc. You have the Heartwood Spear, you are in his ziggurat, go get em before he kills the whole city. After that you know why Tyr is how it is, so its back to your 1st level characters for the full campaign.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

AndItsAllGone posted:

Hey, this is kind of a lame request but could someone post the 2e stats for the Nightmare Beast? Thanks!

That was badass for 2e. Not in the statblock, but it can also drain levels to heal itself for the HP lost by the victim.

"Nightmare beasts are also capable of magical and psionic at-
tacks. Each round, a nightmare beast may attack normally, and
use either one of its spells or one of its psionic powers. The crea-
ture is able to use the following spells, twice a day, once per
round: fireball, lightning bolt, chain lightning, dispel magic,
wall of fire, incendiary cloud, death fog, and cloudkill. A night-
mare beast is immune to the effects of it own spells and all its
spells are cast at 10th level of experience. All spells used by
nightmare beasts are considered use of defiler magic."

So basically you had to fight the 30' beasty in the middle of its own death fog. It was basically the Dark Sun tarasque.

edit: btw, the "Kill Kalak" dungeon delve is going to happen. I finished the pregenned characters, posted them here. The formatting was a bitch for those forums so I wont redo it for here, but take a look if you want to see Rikus, Sadira, etc in 4e form.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 23, 2009

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

ManMythLegend posted:

Paging all recruits.

He lives!

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
There is a bit of new info though, on weapon material qualities. Materials basically wont have an impact, so you can still use bone weapons at paragon tier and you will get your Inherent Bonus to them. No more -2 to this material, -1 to that, so you dont really need metal weapons just for penalty avoidance.

Weapon breakage rules will be optional.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Hmm the templar is using a superior implement. And she has +7 to the will attacks, but only +6 to the others. Whats going on there.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
poo poo its going to be awesome :D

Sun-sickness disease track, I like that idea. Everything sounds perfect, this is great news.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

some guy posted:

Weapon breakage rules are as follows: if you roll a 1 on an attack with a weapon, you can reroll it. If you’re using a non-metal weapon, it automatically breaks after the attack if you do so. If you’re using a metal weapon, it breaks on a roll of 1-5.

So you can turn an auto-miss into a possible hit, but at the cost of your weapon. Essentially no cost if you have a spare, so great for botched Dailies. And metal weapons can break too, with a 25% chance vs the 100% chance of a nonmetal.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
At least they had the good sense to reboot to the start. All those awesome supplements, like Valley are useful again. Plus full stats for all the SKs and Dragon in the monster book. Its going to be awesome.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Part of the design of Dark Sun has always been twisting the classic D&D races.

-Halflings arent fat and happy, they are cannibals that once ruled the world.
-Elves arent tree-dwelling hippies, they are marathon-running desert dwellers and thieves.
-Humans have mutations. (2e fluff
-Dwarves are bald.
-Lots of races were exterminated, be glad you got away just bald. Or can we interest you in playing a giant insect...

So in that line of thought, I doubt tieflings would be standard devil-spawn. More like the children of Nibenay (all his templars are female, they are keeping that juicy detail). Mingling of dragon blood into the human lines from multiple sorcerer kings over thousands of years, etc.

Granted they got away from this line of thinking with the Revised boxed set ("here, play an unchanged birdman that flys around, or play a pterran lizard freak"). But Revised was all about loving with the setting so they could sell it again.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 9, 2010

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

jigokuman posted:

Show me one piece of Brom work that is more Dark Sun than this little fella.

Onward, beetle wagon.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

I dont even know.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
What was the zombie called that was gluttonous, did nothing but eat whatever it could find, and could bite your head off? So Dark Sun.

edit: If the fael causes 6 or more points of damage, there is a 25% chance it has bitten off a portion of its victim the size of a hand. If the fael causes 9 or more points of damage, there is a 25% chance it has bitten off a portion of the victim the size of an arm or leg. If the fael causes 12 points of damage, there is a 25% chance it has bitten off the head of its victim, automatically killing him.

quote:

Meorty: Meorties are undead who
were once protectors of domain that vanished more than
2,000 years ago. They were placed in crypts with large
amounts of treasure, so they might continue to look after their
realms in death. They emerge from their crypts and hunt
down those who violate their ancient laws.

Raaig: Raaigs are incorporeal spirits sustained by their
unwavering belief and sense of duty to ancient gods that no
longer exist on Athas. Raaigs serve as guardians to ancient
shrines and temples, protecting them from those who follow
different moral precepts, primarily those of different alignment
than themselves. They occasionally appear to those they
deem worthy who are of the same alignment. All raaigs are at
least 2,000 years old and all are of the old races (human. elf,
dwarf, giant, and halfling).

Krags are undead created when a cleric aligned to an element
or paraelement dies in the medium diametrically opposed to
his own. The anguish and trauma of dying to the very force he
devoted his life to opposing is sometimes enough to transform
a cleric into a wicked and bitter undead. The elemental lords
of the new power quickly enslave such an undead cleric to
their service.

T’liz: T’lizes are powerful defilers who died before completing
their magical studies. They continue in their studies
as undead and are among the most powerful and dangerous
of the undead. Most defilers are hunted down and destroyed
by the sorcerer kings and the Veiled Alliance before becoming
t’lizes.

Kaisharga: Often called the Dead Lords, the
kaisharga are undead similar to liches.

Dhaot: Dhaots are incorporeal undead who cannot rest
until they return home Even after returning home as spirits.
they often find they cannot rest until their physical remains
are also returned to their home. The desert is filled
with dhaots of halflings who died outside their beloved
forests.

Fael: Faels are gluttonous undead who appear wherever
a large amount of food is present. They try to remain inconspicuous,
but their insatiable hunger eventually gives
them away as they eat every scrap of food in sight.

Thinking zombie: Thinking zombies are freewilled zombies
often identifiable by the spark of hate burning within
then eyes. Creatures who die before completing an important
task (often under the compulsion of a geas or quest spell) often
become thinking zombies.

Wraith: Athasian wraiths differ from other wraiths in
that they voluntarily embraced undeath as a form of existence.

Racked spirit: Racked spirits are incorporeal undead animated
by their own guilt over committing some act that violated
their basic nature. These guilty spirits suffer eternally
and only gain joy and peace through acts of destruction. The
dwarven banshee, created when a dwarf forsakes his life purpose,
is the most common.

Dark Sun had awesome undead. And the players never had any clue what they did. Vampires, liches and mummies were well-known to the vets, but they didnt know WTF a krag did.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 18, 2010

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

ManMythLegend posted:

Did my best to finnagle the obsidian swords into it without them looking like total rear end, but they were a tough shape to get my amateur hands around.

This is awesome. I could see one for each city:
draj - aztec theme
balic - greek crown of ivy
nibenay - asian bas-relief theme
gulg - trees, wild animals, crossed wooden spears
raam - no one cares about raam

Awesome because a player looking at these instantly gets the cultural reference and theme of each city.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Ivory Triangle gave the detailed treatment to Nibenay and Gulg. Full maps, surrounding areas, culture and lots of Gygaxian microdetail. It's another good place to set a campaign, especially if you want templars and the threat of a shadowy-but-aloof sorcerer king.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Yeah we have months to work the blue turban thing out. Raam's ruler was the slayer of orcs, theres no more orcs, so that is proof that she has done at least one thing right in her lifetime. Turbans were, of course, traditional Green Age Raamian religious garb but the orc occupiers of Raam banned their wear. After the orcs were massacred, citizens took to wearing them again in honor of their new Queen and liberator. Thousands of years later, their religion is long forgotten but the turbans remain.

The turbans remain.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
In fact, by wearing blue turbans they spite the dust-colored sky. Its the tenuous links to prior, lost cultures that make Athas such an interesting place.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I couldn't leave this alone.

See,with a little creativity even Raam becomes less of a shithole. Nibenay ranks templars by their lack of clothing; Raam can measure by the size of their turban.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 22, 2010

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
There is plenty of crazy poo poo going on, I wouldnt say mul breeding is the worst of it. Slavery in every form, cannibalism, genocide.

Cheapness of life is the theme. Life has little value, no rights and no respect on Athas. Tanis's origin in Dragonlance was a source of shame and something that made him different from the rest of the setting. In Dark Sun no one would care.

That's the wasteland for you.

PeterWeller posted:

On the other hand, Neeva was the biggest bad rear end of that series, and her uterus was probably one of the few sources of iron left on Athas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Aranan posted:

Oh, okay. I haven't opened the Wanderer's Journal yet--the Rulebook part of the set describes them as looking like wise and beautiful children who are concerned with inward spiritual connections or some such thing.

They are, their cultures and traditions go back thousands of years. Halflings have a great respect for their own race and would never harm another of their kind.

Too bad that doesnt extend to any other race. The barbarians of the wastes are fair game. Literally.

• Locked thread