Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FredMSloniker posted:

This is going to be a weird one, but bear with me. I was watching a friend stream Wuppo, and there's a point in the game at which you have to catch a train from the first hub world to the second. There's a fair bit of action puzzle platforming involved in getting the ticket, but when it comes to actually getting on the train... it has a schedule, in real time. You can either wait on the platform for the next train to show up or go next door to the carnival and kill time there. If you do so, not only do you have to actually buy tickets and wait in line for the attractions - with the occasional line-cutter - but you can wind up missing your train. Which isn't a game over, because your ticket is valid indefinitely, but does mean your wait will start anew. Once the train shows up, you have to wait for the passengers to disembark and the cleaning crew to do their job before you can board; once you have boarded, you have to, again, wait in real time for the train to take you to your destination. There's a minigame you can play to pass the time, or you can just watch the scenery go by.

I realize this probably doesn't sound like Compelling Gameplay to a lot of you, but there was something about just how chill it was that evoked memories of using WoW flight paths or, to use a real-life example, riding in a vehicle, be it a plane, train, or automobile. These days, whenever I go somewhere, I'm the one who's driving, and while I do enjoy driving, it's not something I can veg out while doing.

So I guess what I'm looking for is a game or interactive toy or some such that simulates the experience of being a passenger. It doesn't have to be the only activity in the game; it doesn't even have to be the major activity. But it should be something where I can take my hands off the controller for a bit; riding the horse in Breath of the Wild, for instance, can be something like that, but there's always a monster attack or a fork in the road to worry about.

X3: Albion Prelude
Prey :v:

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

FredMSloniker posted:

This is going to be a weird one, but bear with me. I was watching a friend stream Wuppo, and there's a point in the game at which you have to catch a train from the first hub world to the second. There's a fair bit of action puzzle platforming involved in getting the ticket, but when it comes to actually getting on the train... it has a schedule, in real time. You can either wait on the platform for the next train to show up or go next door to the carnival and kill time there. If you do so, not only do you have to actually buy tickets and wait in line for the attractions - with the occasional line-cutter - but you can wind up missing your train. Which isn't a game over, because your ticket is valid indefinitely, but does mean your wait will start anew. Once the train shows up, you have to wait for the passengers to disembark and the cleaning crew to do their job before you can board; once you have boarded, you have to, again, wait in real time for the train to take you to your destination. There's a minigame you can play to pass the time, or you can just watch the scenery go by.

I realize this probably doesn't sound like Compelling Gameplay to a lot of you, but there was something about just how chill it was that evoked memories of using WoW flight paths or, to use a real-life example, riding in a vehicle, be it a plane, train, or automobile. These days, whenever I go somewhere, I'm the one who's driving, and while I do enjoy driving, it's not something I can veg out while doing.

So I guess what I'm looking for is a game or interactive toy or some such that simulates the experience of being a passenger. It doesn't have to be the only activity in the game; it doesn't even have to be the major activity. But it should be something where I can take my hands off the controller for a bit; riding the horse in Breath of the Wild, for instance, can be something like that, but there's always a monster attack or a fork in the road to worry about.

GTA 4 and maybe 5 let you ride taxis as a passenger. I think you can also take spacecraft into orbit in kerbal and then switch to a passenger view.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
When I first played GTA V, I got in a taxi, asked it to take me to the northern most point (that little city near the mountain), got out, found the skytram, took it up, looked at the vista, and then biked down the mountain and caught another taxi into the city and the first-ish mission point. That was a real chill experience.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I don't expect anyone else to do this, but a couple times I'd fire up Arma 2 with a mission from PlannedAssault (http://plannedassault.com/), edit in a civilian duo in a car, and play as a civilian observer taxied from the quiet woods down into an urban warzone.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Doesn't that Peter Molyneux trail hiking game auto-walk you through the wilderness unless you want to go poking around at something? I mean, I don't know if it's actually any good whatsoever, and the PC version is yet another "free to play on mobile, so we made the PC version $15" job, but it came to mind.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

5thMouseButton posted:

XBOX One recommendations family & never-played-a-console-game-before-types can play? Preferably coop.

Think grandma that hasn't played anything since Mario on the NES and even then she was awful.

You can get all of the Jackbox Party Packs on XBox. They're essentially party games where everybody logs in on their phones. I'd say Drawful and Fibbage from the first pack are the highlights.

Also, Overcooked may work well. It's a simple co-op arcade game where you have to work together to cook food. Yup.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Elite Dangerous lets you do some chill space truckin on more or less autopilot

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boom_Blox

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Jack box has basically become a necessity when I have people over. I have literally never laughed harder at anything with some of the poo poo that comes out of it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
What are some games that are good for showing off a new graphics card?

I've thought of The Witcher 3, Doom, and Crysis 3, all of which I conveniently already own. Battlefield 1 would be a good fit but I'm not looking for another multiplayer game and I'm assuming DICE's pattern with single player hasn't changed. What are some other pretty, new-ish 3D games available on PC?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

FredMSloniker posted:

Others have already said GTA but I'll say that one of my best memories of GTA IV was after one of the game's more intense missions, riding the L across the city and watching the sun rise and Niko's got bloodstains and is carrying a bag full of heroin or some poo poo, it was incredibly successful at evoking what I think the devs were aiming for. Red Dead Redemption has some chill carriage and train ride possibilities as well, especially as with the latter if you decide you're bored you can go climb on the roof and take potshots at wildlife and poo poo :v:

Chill riding around is something I enjoy a lot too and I wish more games had that kind of thing.

For my own question, I'm looking for recommendations for tycoon games that continue to pose a challenge after you've made your first million. I've played a lot of Software Inc. lately and I love almost everything about it, but once you hit it big with a single product (which you can learn to do fairly reliably) you'll never be challenged financially again. That's not a mark against it because it's still EA and the next major patch is supposed to focus partly on the economics to help this very issue, but I'd love to hear about any that do it well already.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I've thought of The Witcher 3, Doom, and Crysis 3, all of which I conveniently already own. Battlefield 1 would be a good fit but I'm not looking for another multiplayer game and I'm assuming DICE's pattern with single player hasn't changed. What are some other pretty, new-ish 3D games available on PC?

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

BF1's singleplayer is good, for what it's worth.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Kind of an odd question, but I'd like recommendations for PS4 games that use teamwork but aren't shooters. We are getting a PlayStation for my 15 yo sister in law because she has strong social anxiety and working together with strangers in games can help with that. We are getting her FFXIV, but what other popular online multiplayer games are there?

To be sexist, being a dude my first thought are always shooters and action games, but that's not quite her speed.

We would prefer something that you would use chat for, but if it's just normal team gameplay without chat (ie Rocket Leauge) that would be fine too. She doesn't really have any friends locally so couch co op is kind of out.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 20, 2017

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I'm looking for something I can have on in the background at work. Ideally I'd like something web based, or graphics lite, and something along the lines of either a turn based rpg like DragonQuest or something, or else some kind of civ building or trading thing. Anything cool like that?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Kingdom of loathing?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

EdsTeioh posted:

I'm looking for something I can have on in the background at work. Ideally I'd like something web based, or graphics lite, and something along the lines of either a turn based rpg like DragonQuest or something, or else some kind of civ building or trading thing. Anything cool like that?

Progress Quest lol

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Progress Quest lol

what in god's name is this hahaha

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

EdsTeioh posted:

what in god's name is this hahaha

You start it up and it simulates an mmorpg, with gear upgrades, questing for bear asses, etc. But you have no input whatsoever. It just runs.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Runescape if you don't mind an ancient browser-based game

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

EdsTeioh posted:

Deadly Rooms Of Death

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

exquisite tea posted:

Rise of the Tomb Raider

That's a good pull, thanks.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

BF1's singleplayer is good, for what it's worth.

I'm surprised. I'll check it out.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

EdsTeioh posted:

Might be worth going down the rabbit hole of incremental gaming. Trimps has a decent amount of depth to it and requires minimal input (and it's basically ProgressQuest if you use the AutoTrimps script). Clickpocalypse was kind of neat until I got all the achievements. Sandcastle builder is probably the craziest one I've played, but requires actual clicking because it was from the early days before everyone realized no one wants to actually click poo poo we just want to watch bars fill up.

If you want something you can just tab to and play a bit here and there you could look into desktop dungeons or a small roguelike like ToME or Crawl.

If you want to get into building civilizations and player conflict there are tons of Travian clones, but they're all super slow moving and some douche who has no life will probably wipe out your civilization while you're asleep and there's nothing you can do about it. I played one that was like Children of the Nile that was peaceful and trade based but I ultimately found it pointless and shallow... so maybe it's best that I can't remember the name :v:

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Tagra posted:

Might be worth going down the rabbit hole of incremental gaming. Trimps has a decent amount of depth to it and requires minimal input (and it's basically ProgressQuest if you use the AutoTrimps script). Clickpocalypse was kind of neat until I got all the achievements. Sandcastle builder is probably the craziest one I've played, but requires actual clicking because it was from the early days before everyone realized no one wants to actually click poo poo we just want to watch bars fill up.

If you want something you can just tab to and play a bit here and there you could look into desktop dungeons or a small roguelike like ToME or Crawl.

If you want to get into building civilizations and player conflict there are tons of Travian clones, but they're all super slow moving and some douche who has no life will probably wipe out your civilization while you're asleep and there's nothing you can do about it. I played one that was like Children of the Nile that was peaceful and trade based but I ultimately found it pointless and shallow... so maybe it's best that I can't remember the name :v:

I've played a little incremental clickers; mostly cookie clicker and...Realm Grinder maybe? I'll check out those other though; thanks!!

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Looking for a ~8 hour or shorter game with a nice ending to beat this weekend. I've played Limbo and Inside (and Undertale while we're at it) and not looking for roguelikes nor Point and Click/Telltale games (unless exceptional). Open to pretty much every genre.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
I really like games with NPC allies. Anything stick out to anyone?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Looking for a ~8 hour or shorter game with a nice ending to beat this weekend. I've played Limbo and Inside (and Undertale while we're at it) and not looking for roguelikes nor Point and Click/Telltale games (unless exceptional). Open to pretty much every genre.

How about "walking sims"? Until Dawn is an amazing horror game the first time around, and Life is Strange is pretty solid too

bob human being posted:

SWAT 3/4?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if "nice" doesn't necessarily have to mean "happy," check out Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

bob human being posted:

Uh...in general? Dragon's Dogma has you forming a party with up to three AI-controlled pawns.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

Phlegmish posted:

Uh...in general? Dragon's Dogma has you forming a party with up to three AI-controlled pawns.

Maybe something thats like an RTS with an AI army and I play as a hero?

edit: i really like having commanders and peons on my side in dynasty warriors for example

just bob fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 22, 2017

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

bob human being posted:

Divinity: Original Sin 2 just released and is on fire with praise. You micromanage everything they do, but they have their own backstories, own quests, and are voice acted.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

How about "walking sims"? Until Dawn is an amazing horror game the first time around, and Life is Strange is pretty solid too

Life is Strange is on my list of games to start, though it's a little longer than I prefer according to HLTB. Also I'm looking for PC games primarily (that being said I've watched a full playthrough of Until Dawn).

Really Pants posted:

if "nice" doesn't necessarily have to mean "happy," check out Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Beat it, loved it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

bob human being posted:

As long as you don't overestimate their intelligence (it is impossible to underestimate it), I've been having fun commanding a small squad of dudes in Arma 3 with the Dynamic Recon Ops mission. They're my meat shields, healers, and spotters.

I've executed them in the field more than a few times for blatant stupidity, though.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

bob human being posted:

If old games are palatable to you, check out Sacrifice

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

bob human being posted:

edit: i really like having commanders and peons on my side in dynasty warriors for example

Brutal Legend has this in the second half, although the game is a bit ehh

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

Kibbles n Shits posted:

If old games are palatable to you, check out Sacrifice

I might. I think I've heard about that. Has anyone played urban assault? that was my favorite as a kid.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Brutal Legend has this in the second half, although the game is a bit ehh

I read about that the other day. How long is it?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

How old are you willing to go? The first Final Fantasy Legend game on Game Boy was designed to be finished in 8 hours (the length of a flight between Tokyo and Honolulu).

Even better, set up BizHawk and play the Wonderswan remake. It has an english patch. I found a prepatched ROM by googling "Makai Toushi SaGa wonderswan english".

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ofecks posted:

How old are you willing to go? The first Final Fantasy Legend game on Game Boy was designed to be finished in 8 hours (the length of a flight between Tokyo and Honolulu).

How do you know this? Why do you know this?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

The new Tomb Raider games are 6-8 hours each (if you don't 100% the exploration bits. 100% is more like 12 hours) but I don't know if the storytelling would really be rated exceptional.

I'll go out on a limb and recommend Remember Me. You might want to use cheatengine to make the bullet(fist?)sponge enemies less annoying, though. I really liked the storytelling in it once I cheated my way through the jankyass combat, and it only took about 6 hours to play through.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Revengeance is pretty short, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

bob human being posted:

Skyrim has followers.