Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I'm looking for a multiplayer game that's between an FPS and an MMORPG.

What I mean by that, is, I want something with some kind of persistence (be it world or player), like an MMO, but unlike an MMO, I don't want to play timesink games where I fall behind because I don't play 8 hours a day.

Guild Wars comes to mind, which I own (just the original game, no expansions), but I never got into it. I don't feel comfortable playing Co-op, because I need to be able to step away from a game at any moment, and I don't want to let anyone down (or ruin my own play experience) because I can't pause the game, or disconnect whenever I want. Plus, I've never been a fan of 'arena' PvP, though I never got into it much at all when I played.

Diablo II also comes to mind, but.. nah. I think I'm over it; time for the third to come.

So.. really, want I want is a multiplayer game, whatever it may be, that has persistence in world and/or character, but isn't built out to be a time sink like almost all MMOs.

It's a shame that there are no good NWN2 PWs. Atleast, that's what the threads on the subject always say.

Edit: I also want a good MMOFPS, people! C'mon! It's been years since Planetside! And I hear CrimeCraft is poo poo! This shouldn't be that hard! Rip off WoW, but give everyone guns!

Revol fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 17, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Revol posted:

I'm looking for a multiplayer game that's between an FPS and an MMORPG.

What I mean by that, is, I want something with some kind of persistence (be it world or player), like an MMO, but unlike an MMO, I don't want to play timesink games where I fall behind because I don't play 8 hours a day.
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. As you play you gain experience in a few different areas, with each class having its own main XP bar, and as you reach new levels in individual areas you get unlocks. By default the game resets your XP, levels, and ranking at the end of a "campaign" (four maps that are meant to be played in order), but most servers have modded it so that it knows your player name and keeps your stats for some time, typically 24 hours or a week, so that as long as you keep your gaps between play less than that time, you won't lose your poo poo. There are also mods that extend the RPG aspect so there's more than 4/5 max levels in each category, such as "No Quarter" which gives 10 levels for each category with lots of new abilities, for example maxing Medic lets you give a downed player CPR to try and revive them as a non-medic class, and maxing soldier lets you pick up and use any class's weapon.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Mmm, maybe. But I think I need a little bit more than that. I've got plenty of options for an FPS; I could just play COD4.

I guess I'm more concerned with finding a persistence in world than anything else.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Revol posted:

Mmm, maybe. But I think I need a little bit more than that. I've got plenty of options for an FPS; I could just play COD4.

I guess I'm more concerned with finding a persistence in world than anything else.

For a single player experience, STALKER can't be beat. The AI has its own agenda so different territory will regularly be contested by humans and mutants. One time I was walking back to the trader at the newbie village (starting area, relatively weak enemies) and let my guard down as I was crossing a bridge. Turns out there were three grey blips on my radar (which mean dead humans) that weren't there when I crossed a day ago. I didn't pay it any mind at first but the gears in my head started turning like "Wait... stalkers just don't spawn already de--" Cue load roaring sound as a bloodsucker, an enemy that can cloak itself, leaps from under the bridge and rips me to shreds. I switch to my shotgun, aim, press the left mouse button CLICK.

Forgot to loving reload my gun. My armor was shredded in a previous fight so I ran all the way back to the newbie village where the bloodsucker killed three guys before I capped him.

No other game continues to surprise me like STALKER. Direct2Drive is selling it for $5 during their anniversary sale. I suggest checking out Oblivion Lost for a lot of hardcore material added or STALKER Complete 2009 if you want updated graphics. STALKER has online multiplayer but it's probably not what you're looking for.

As far as online games go, Planetside, Planetside, Planetside. There's only one server left if I recall so everyone is consolidated and you can find matches quickly. It's a FPS/RPG war game where battlefield control and dominating territory is key to winning.

While I only played the first game, Neocron 2 is an FPS/MMORPG that I picked up because it reminded me so much of Deus Ex. The first game was fun and I've been meaning to get an account for the 2nd but I'm always busy. Even though your stats determine things like accuracy and damage, there's still a level of skill involved as you're ducking behind corners to avoid shots. The game literally plays like you'd expect Deus Ex as an MMORPG but it's not very newbie friendly. There are hundreds of skills, abilities, and functions you have to pick up and while the first game had a cool tutorial I'm not sure if the 2nd includes one.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Unique storyline, and standard Shin Megami Tensei mechanics, which means elemental weaknesses and strengths mean a lot.

p.s. I've never played an SMT game. What am I in for with Devil Survivor?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Yeah, I've played STALKER, it's a cool experience. I've also played Planetside several times, and I'd be into doing it again, but it seems like community, and therein the game, is pretty much over.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Cliff posted:

p.s. I've never played an SMT game. What am I in for with Devil Survivor?

Pokemon Tactics. You have a few unique characters that act like squad 'captains' for your units, but squads will be 2 demons to 1 human. The demons are faceless generics, and most of your success will come from the demons you acquire and which you group together. Furthermore, you will eventually be ditching demons for better demons by attribute of demons earning XP slower than humans, and there being no direct way to learn higher level skills. So don't get too attached.

Recent SMT games favor exploiting weaknesses and covering your own. In the case of Devil Summoner you will be checking the skill sets of enemies and trying to force conditions on the battle map so that only the encounters you want to happen will happen. For example, it doesn't matter if the enemy attacks you if your squad is both resistant to the opponents' and able to target their weaknesses. This would functionally make for a free attack at the tactical level. On the other hand, you will want to pass on some of your own actions if the only options available to a squad are attacking opponents that will destroy them.

It is pretty unique as a tactical RPG. Sort of the same old for an SMT. Just dive in if you like tact RPGs. It will be a decent primer for SMTs as a whole, and it doesn't require too much knowledge to get going. Just take your time until you are familiar with all of the element types.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
I've got a hankering for some space flight-sim action. The last ones I played were Freespace and Tachyon: the Fringe. But now that I finally have a machine that can handle just about anything I throw at it I can't seem to find anything in the genre.

frowning
Aug 10, 2005

The Dire and Ever Circling Wolves

Fledgling Gulps posted:

I've got a hankering for some space flight-sim action. The last ones I played were Freespace and Tachyon: the Fringe. But now that I finally have a machine that can handle just about anything I throw at it I can't seem to find anything in the genre.

See I'll jump onto this one too, but more of an exploration/trading vibe to them. I have X3 Reunion but I've just given up on trying to work out what's what in that game. Something like Elite but a bit more contemporary like, I suck at space combat too so something where I can just fly around looking at stuff would be just the ticket. Or easy. Whichever.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

frowning posted:

See I'll jump onto this one too, but more of an exploration/trading vibe to them. I have X3 Reunion but I've just given up on trying to work out what's what in that game. Something like Elite but a bit more contemporary like, I suck at space combat too so something where I can just fly around looking at stuff would be just the ticket. Or easy. Whichever.

I would recommend Freelancer if there was a way to bypass the story and just open the world up to you. Maybe there is? There's combat, but it's pretty darn easy.

Jinnigan posted:

I'm at my parents for another couple of days. Can someone recommend a well-written RPG that I can beat in about two days, for an older PC?

I'd recommend the Penny Arcade Adventures. Each episode can probably be beaten in two days, and it has some excellent writing. Dunno when the third one is coming out though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fledgling Gulps posted:

Try DarkStar One. I think they have it up on GoG. The designers pretty much admitted they were copying Freespace's model of combat/exploration/trading and the game definitely mimics the style well. There's even Descent-esque dungeon levels in the form of hollowed out asteroids. You can't buy new ships but instead your starting ship is modular allowing you to customize most aspects of it so it functions like a different vehicle. The pervasive bugs in the vanilla launch that garnered the mostly average reviews the game got have been patched out and I've been playing it off and on for about two years now.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
Thanks, that looks like just what I'm looking for.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

frowning posted:

I have X3 Reunion but I've just given up on trying to work out what's what in that game.
You and me both. I've tried to get into this game on at least five different occasions, but it just doesn't click for me. It's one of the first games in awhile I gave up on despite really wanting to play it.

Okay, so I've got two requests:

(1) I'm a big fan of Shining Force for the Sega Genesis (1 and 2). I understand they continued the series on Dreamcast, but I don't think they translated all the new games to English, and they are pretty difficult to find and pricey. Similar tactical RPG games? I've been eyeing Final Fantasy Tactics, but my FF days stopped with FFIV for SNES, so not sure if it would appeal to me. I did recently play a tactical WW2 themed JRPG for PS3 whose name escapes me, but it's quite recent...valkyrie something or other, but I didn't really care for it.

(2) A flight sim with personality. I've been in love with Flight sims since the Aces series of games in the 90s (Aces over the Pacific, Aces over Europe), but even those games didn't really have much personality. Lately I've been playing IL2 Sturmovik which is a great sim, but it feels so utterly devoid of humanity. I want wingmen with names, and maybe a shoddy story or something. Something that breathes life into the game and doesn't make me shrug indifferently when a wingman is getting blown out of the sky. Do such games even exist?

I saw an LP recently for Crimson Skies which looks like what I want, but it is old and doesn't play nice with modern hardware. :(

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

dMastri posted:

(1) I'm a big fan of Shining Force for the Sega Genesis (1 and 2). I understand they continued the series on Dreamcast, but I don't think they translated all the new games to English, and they are pretty difficult to find and pricey. Similar tactical RPG games? I've been eyeing Final Fantasy Tactics, but my FF days stopped with FFIV for SNES, so not sure if it would appeal to me. I did recently play a tactical WW2 themed JRPG for PS3 whose name escapes me, but it's quite recent...valkyrie something or other, but I didn't really care for it.

You and I have the same taste in games, I think. There were a couple SNES games I liked that you should enjoy: Bahamut Lagoon was only released overseas but you should be able to find a fan translation patch if you look. It was pretty interesting in that you directly controlled 5 or 6 squads of characters and indirectly controlled their related dragons, which you could upgrade and evolve by feeding them weapons and armor.

Front Mission was another tactical RPG reminiscent of Mechwarrior. You can find it on SNES (:files:) or on DS.

I couldn't get into Final Fantasy Tactics due to it feeling slow, but I really liked Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA). The sequel, Final Fantasy Tactics A2 (DS) was pretty good, but not the same. FFTA featured units of 5 different races, each with relatively unique classes/jobs/what have you. I think it's the closest thing you'll find to satisfy your Shining Force craving, so good luck.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The original Final Fantasy Tactics is more story based while Tactics Advance is more about team building. I second the recommendation for Front Mission which was translated officially in English on the DS. Front Mission 2 is actually a Japan only sidescroller. Front Mission 3 is the best in the series combining the extensive mech customization with a ridiculously variable plot line where seemingly unrelated dialog choices can change the entire outcome of the story. I haven't played FM4 but you can find the PS2 version fairly easy for a cheap price.

For a more obscure game, look for Ring of Red. It's a neat game set during the collapse of the Axis where literal walking tanks (these things are huge and clunky but have superior firepower) dominate the battlefield. You can only customize the team you carry with your mechs meaning battles have a larger focus on actual tactics (terrain control, proper troop layout, weighing the risks of fighting at a range vs. going up close) than superior equipment or grinding to increase your levels.

A few years ago LucasArts released a game called Gladius set in a fantasy Roman empire. The game was released to above-average reviews and critical praise but no one bought it. There's a ton of content, the game is fairly difficult, and the storyline will keep you engaged as much as building up a team.

Both Ring of REd and Gladius can be found in the used bin for less than $10.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Cliff posted:

I couldn't get into Final Fantasy Tactics due to it feeling slow, but I really liked Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA). The sequel, Final Fantasy Tactics A2 (DS) was pretty good, but not the same.

Whereas I couldn't get into FFTA because of the terrible laws system and various other problems, but found FFTA2 really enjoyable, if a little easy. Also, I don't really like the main FF series either, so don't let that stop you.

If you're going DS, there's also Luminous Arc - a little simplistic and some dodgy anime cutscenes but fairly fun - and Valkyrie Profile - it's short, but intended to be played through multiple times with different routes, characters and endings, and has a great aesthetic and fun battles.

Since you mentioned FFT, the Playstation also has Tactics Ogre and Saiyuki - Journey West. I haven't played Saiyiki but I've heard good things about it, and Tactics Ogre is a series that's not quite as well known as FFT but a lot of fun.

The other major SRPG series is Fire Emblem, which is a bit different from the standard SRPG format but has a lot of fans. The two GBA games are probably the best starting place.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

dMastri posted:

(2) A flight sim with personality. I've been in love with Flight sims since the Aces series of games in the 90s (Aces over the Pacific, Aces over Europe), but even those games didn't really have much personality. Lately I've been playing IL2 Sturmovik which is a great sim, but it feels so utterly devoid of humanity. I want wingmen with names, and maybe a shoddy story or something. Something that breathes life into the game and doesn't make me shrug indifferently when a wingman is getting blown out of the sky. Do such games even exist?

I saw an LP recently for Crimson Skies which looks like what I want, but it is old and doesn't play nice with modern hardware. :(

Ace Combat series. They're on consoles, so I don't know if you'd be able to play them, but they sound like exactly what you're looking for. Each one has a story, consistent wingmen, orchestral soundtrack - all that kind of pulpy flight story stuff, it's a lot of fun. The flight action is fairly arcadey, but not horribly so, in my opinion. There's three you can play on the PS2 and one on the 360.

Also one on the PSP, if you have one of those, but I have no idea if that one's any good.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

il_cornuto posted:

The other major SRPG series is Fire Emblem, which is a bit different from the standard SRPG format but has a lot of fans. The two GBA games are probably the best starting place.

Can't believe I forgot Fire Emblem. I've tried so many times to get into the games, and I finally played the second GBA one further than the first 3 missions. I'm really enjoying it, but there are some problems. First is permadeath, which really puts me off sometimes since I'm OCD about keeping my whole party alive. Second is that Levelling Up doesn't really matter, because it's a giant game of rock-paper-scissors. A weak dude with an axe is pretty much always going to beat a strong dude with a spear.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Frankosity posted:

Can anyone recommend some good retro action-platformer games? I'm already intimately familiar with the classics, e.g. Contra, Megaman, Castlevania, Metroid and I'm looking for something similiar. I've already played Cave Story a million times, before anyone brings that up, and I'm aware of La-Mulana.

How about Demon's Crest for SNES? The protagonist Firebrand is from the more popular Ghosts n' Goblins franchise. I completed the game a year ago or so and found it addicting and fun. It also has mild metroidvanish features like acquiring new demonic abilities. The difficulty level is bearable unless you try to complete the game with the "true ending" (which means you'll have to battle one of the most difficult end game bosses I've seen).

Here's a gameplay vid.

EDIT: I'm also looking for the same kind of games as Frankosity so keep the suggestions rolling.

These Loving Eyes fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 19, 2009

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

These Loving Eyes posted:

How about Demon's Crest for SNES? The protagonist Firebrand is from the more popular Ghosts n' Goblins franchise. I completed the game a year ago or so and found it addicting and fun. It also has mild metroidvanish features like acquiring new demonic abilities. The difficulty level is bearable unless you try to complete the game with the "true ending" (which means you'll have to battle one of the most difficult end game bosses I've seen).

Here's a gameplay vid.

EDIT: I'm also looking for the same kind of games as Frankosity so keep the suggestions rolling.

Oh, hell yeah, I remember trying to play this ages ago, but I got stuck and lost interest. Thanks for reminding me!

As compensation, I can offer you Shatterhand, a criminally obscure NES game I've been having an absolute blast with, in case you hadn't already heard of it.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Frankosity posted:

As compensation, I can offer you Shatterhand, a criminally obscure NES game I've been having an absolute blast with, in case you hadn't already heard of it.

I played the game to death at my cousin around the time it first came out. :3: Loved it back then, guess I should try it out again. Thanks!

bleh654321
Jan 10, 2005
Looking for any decent vertical scrolling shoot em ups on the pc. I've played all the 360 ones into the ground, as well as the Touhou series. Don't really feel like shelling out for a Japanese region 360 plus $70 a game right now.

So far all I've come across is Blue Wish Resurrection, which was pretty good and freeware to boot. Are there any gems I'm missing out on?

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog

bleh654321 posted:

Looking for any decent vertical scrolling shoot em ups on the pc. I've played all the 360 ones into the ground, as well as the Touhou series. Don't really feel like shelling out for a Japanese region 360 plus $70 a game right now.

So far all I've come across is Blue Wish Resurrection, which was pretty good and freeware to boot. Are there any gems I'm missing out on?

Raiden 4 (for the 360) got released recently if you like vertical shooters. Sorry if its not you were looking for.

As for me, I love games like ninja gaiden(new ones), God Of War, Devil May Cry 1-3-4, I'm looking for a new one in the same genre, basically a great action/hack'n slash game.

Edit: vv drat now I feel like a dick, I should've checked it out better :(

Bonby fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 20, 2009

bleh654321
Jan 10, 2005

BobbyBaudoin posted:

Raiden 4 (for the 360) got released recently if you like vertical shooters. Sorry if its not you were looking for.

That is excellent thank you. I had no idea it was even coming.

Is this true? "After dishing out $40 for the game, you'll find that only one of the three ships on the main menu can be used. The other two must be purchased through Xbox Live." Taken from wikipedia.

Also what the gently caress, 3 ships total? What happened to like, 15 from the previous games?

Edit: Looks like the ship locking thing is true, it's a different publisher which I guess controls that, and thought it was a good idea to go from $20 for 3 old games to $40 for 1 old game plus some ninja poo poo. Just went from excited to crushed. Clearly Bobby Kotick is to blame.

bleh654321 fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 20, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

bleh654321 posted:

Get Blue Wish Resurrection Plus, it adds a few more ships and some other goodies.

Also, Cho Ren Sha 68k is a personal favorite of mine, although it can be a little weird on multi-core processors.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

BobbyBaudoin posted:

As for me, I love games like ninja gaiden(new ones), God Of War, Devil May Cry 1-3-4, I'm looking for a new one in the same genre, basically a great action/hack'n slash game.

Brutal Legend might be what you're looking for when it comes out Oct 13 :)

canti32
Apr 27, 2008

Fearless in Devotion, Rising to Promotion,
Rising to the ranks of mighty heroes, Fighting foes in every land,

History only tells a story, We are to see your glory,
Stand aside the Reds are coming,
WREXHAM IS THE NAME
Are there any decent CYOA games like FLapp around?

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

BobbyBaudoin posted:

The Gungrave series might appeal to you, but they're more focused on gunplay than hack n' slash.

bleh654321
Jan 10, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Also, Cho Ren Sha 68k is a personal favorite of mine, although it can be a little weird on multi-core processors.

Just checked this out and loving it, thanks. Setting the processor affinity seemed to fix 99% of the sound problems I was having.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog

Frankosity posted:

The Gungrave series might appeal to you, but they're more focused on gunplay than hack n' slash.

I totally forgot about that serie, Alway wanted to try it, gunplay doesn't bother me at all.

Thanks!

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

Gungrave: OD is pretty much better in every conceivable way than the original, but Gungrave 1 is still worth picking up if you find it really cheap.

frowning
Aug 10, 2005

The Dire and Ever Circling Wolves

al-azad posted:

Try DarkStar One. I think they have it up on GoG. The designers pretty much admitted they were copying Freespace's model of combat/exploration/trading and the game definitely mimics the style well. There's even Descent-esque dungeon levels in the form of hollowed out asteroids. You can't buy new ships but instead your starting ship is modular allowing you to customize most aspects of it so it functions like a different vehicle. The pervasive bugs in the vanilla launch that garnered the mostly average reviews the game got have been patched out and I've been playing it off and on for about two years now.

I've been after an excuse to buy this for a while now, and I think it's on sale at Gog too, cheers!

Morpheus posted:

I would recommend Freelancer if there was a way to bypass the story and just open the world up to you. Maybe there is? There's combat, but it's pretty darn easy.

The ship combat in Freelance kicks my arse after just a few missions... maybe I'll try it again and actually use the flares or whatever they were, and the wee things that rebuild your ship when it's damaged.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
I just started getting into Final Fantasy 7 again, however the graphics are seriously hurting my eyes. I am looking for another turn based RPG that is fairly linear and at least slightly pretty to look at. For example, I LOVED Lost Odyssey up until the last disk where you have to travel the would.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Sorry to drag this thread up again.

I'm bored as hell and want to read some Let's Plays. Are there any particularly funny/epic ones that I shouldn't miss? I just finished all Nakar's Ultima ones with Steven the Avatar and I crave more.

Please don't recommend:
Animal Crossing
Flashback
Eien no Filena
Anything by RedChocobo
Anything by Nakar

...because I've read those.
I'd appreciate any input :(

(and why is King's Quest 6 not in the LP list?)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Corridor posted:

Sorry to drag this thread up again.

I'm bored as hell and want to read some Let's Plays. Are there any particularly funny/epic ones that I shouldn't miss? I just finished all Nakar's Ultima ones with Steven the Avatar and I crave more.

Please don't recommend:
Animal Crossing
Flashback
Eien no Filena
Anything by RedChocobo
Anything by Nakar

...because I've read those.
I'd appreciate any input :(

(and why is King's Quest 6 not in the LP list?)

I'm assuming based on the context of your post that you want screenshot-based ones, right?

Monster Rancher 1 and 2 are great LPs, although I might be biased having played and loved them as a kid.

Shildkrote, Thuryl, and Luisfe all LP great games quite well.

Also, all the Sprung LPs are a must. They are hilariously done. Slowbeef in general is pretty good at this poo poo, needless to say.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

HereticSenility posted:

I'm assuming based on the context of your post that you want screenshot-based ones, right?
Generally speaking, yeah. It's just that gamer goons tend to have really annoying voices and do horrible rifftrack attempts.

quote:

Also, all the Sprung LPs are a must. They are hilariously done. Slowbeef in general is pretty good at this poo poo, needless to say.
Ah yeah, I watched his The Immortal LP and it was rad, but couldn't remember his name or the game. Thankyew for the suggestions.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

Definitely check out the Alpha Centauri LP, and Zoolooman's Civ 4 LP. They both take a really interesting way of creating a "story" in games that were otherwise light on plot.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Frankosity posted:

Definitely check out the Alpha Centauri LP, and Zoolooman's Civ 4 LP. They both take a really interesting way of creating a "story" in games that were otherwise light on plot.

Agreed with this, but also read the Medieval 2: Total War LP by Jerusalem.

It's really long - like, novel-length - but it's another fantastic example of this kind of LPing, and he's a pretty sharp writer.

I also recommend Jerusalem's San Andreas LP.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

I'd like to play some tactical shooters and I'm interested in starting with some of the Tom Clancy franchises out there, but as there are now so many games I need a bit of guidance to know what's what. For the main Rainbow Six series, does the gameplay remain fairly complicated in the newer titles or has it become more... action oriented as other game franchises have become.

It looks like there's also Ghost Recon, Rogue Spear, Splinter Cell and other branches. Are any of these tactical FPS's as well or do they feature different gameplay? Even if they aren't that specific genre, are they complex enough to be worth checking out (eg. Shadow Watch, which is an X-Com type of game)?

Finally, besides Operation Flashpoint, what other tactical shooters are out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenopax
Sep 27, 2002

Get pregnant using Xenopax® brand bottled semen. Trust no substitutes.
I'm missing the old SSI D&D video games where you got to create a party and dove into a dungeon. I really miss the following features:

* A user created party
* Turn based combat

Games that I loved were Ultima V, Dark Queen of Krynn, and other games in those genres. Is there anything like that out there these days?