Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

StrixNebulosa posted:

House Flipper is fantastic and I'm addicted to doing these little missions where I paint a random room and decorate it and stuff.

Are there any other games out there like it? Aside from the Car Mechanic sim, that has too much "assembly" minigame where you unscrew the screws and no thanks. I want like. Cleaning and painting and breaking down walls, but it doesn't have to be that.

Help?

No breaking walls, but Viscera Cleanup Detail has you cleaning (and optionally logging) multiple big rear end environment after the aftermaths of the usual sort of stuff that happens in movies/games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
As a heads up -- Frostpunk currently has a semi-game ending bug where one of your citizens starts eating infinite amounts of food as fast as you can generate it (which, in a game about surviving an endless winter, is kind of apocalyptic). There are a couple of workarounds but they're both incredibly tedious and fairly significant gameplay penalties in their own right. If anyone was on the fence about it I suggest holding off until this is fixed.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Can you translate what you mean by this? I mean aside from "play Landlord's Super" which I've put on my wishlist

Have you heard of My Summer Car? The super involved Finnish car building game? It's that, but extremely 80s British about building a house.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Have you heard of My Summer Car? The super involved Finnish car building game? It's that, but extremely 80s British about building a house.

Ahhh, now I understand. I've heard of, but never played My Summer Car.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Hello. I quit Hearthstone at the end of last year, and have that collectible card game itch again. Is there one based on single player? I don't want to get sucked into this daily hour or two grind of getting currency everyday, I just want like a whole complete experience, preferably with satisfying animations/oomph like Hearthstone does.

Slay the Spire is great and it's my most played game on Steam ever I believe, but it's not quite the same thing. I want to collect and expand my deck. I think there are old games like Duel Masters and Snk vs Capcom something something, which ones are the standouts? Modern games are fine too, I just don't know of any. Besides Slay the Spire. Which is amazing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Card City Nights, I think? Also Pokemon TCG/2 on Gameboy.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Octolady posted:

I'm really in the mood to play a fantasy shop simulator.

I've played Recettear and Weapon Shop de Omasse and really loved them

Doesn't need to be totally like them per se but that sort of vibe is what I'm craving!

Holy Potatoes?

Maybe the original Guild, too. It's older but you can build up your shopfronts (or thieves guilds, to bust down everyone else's)

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

StrixNebulosa posted:

House Flipper is fantastic and I'm addicted to doing these little missions where I paint a random room and decorate it and stuff.

Are there any other games out there like it? Aside from the Car Mechanic sim, that has too much "assembly" minigame where you unscrew the screws and no thanks. I want like. Cleaning and painting and breaking down walls, but it doesn't have to be that.

Help?

Viscera Cleanup Detail is the ultimate 'cleaning up stuff while listening to podcasts' sim.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Artelier posted:

Hello. I quit Hearthstone at the end of last year, and have that collectible card game itch again. Is there one based on single player? I don't want to get sucked into this daily hour or two grind of getting currency everyday, I just want like a whole complete experience, preferably with satisfying animations/oomph like Hearthstone does.

Slay the Spire is great and it's my most played game on Steam ever I believe, but it's not quite the same thing. I want to collect and expand my deck. I think there are old games like Duel Masters and Snk vs Capcom something something, which ones are the standouts? Modern games are fine too, I just don't know of any. Besides Slay the Spire. Which is amazing.

Try the PSP or DS Yu-Gi-Oh games. Very easy to emulate.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Artelier posted:

The GBA Duel Masters game is pretty fun, and I really liked one of the yearly championship editions of Yu-Gi-Oh but I can't remember which. Think it was either 2004 or 2006 -- it was one that had an almost comprehensive collection of cards and the reward for beating the whole game was that you got to ignore the banned and restricted list.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

As a heads up -- Frostpunk currently has a semi-game ending bug where one of your citizens starts eating infinite amounts of food as fast as you can generate it

Don't doxxx me

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

kirbysuperstar posted:

Card City Nights, I think? Also Pokemon TCG/2 on Gameboy.

Card City Nights is pretty fun, but the sequel makes some fairly significant improvements to the underlying game and is pretty substantially better.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

As a heads up -- Frostpunk currently has a semi-game ending bug where one of your citizens starts eating infinite amounts of food as fast as you can generate it

believable quarantine behavior, imo

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Artelier posted:

Dreamquest actually came out before Slay the Spire and has the same type of gameplay, you might want to look into it.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Artelier posted:

The review website Rock Paper Shotgun has an article called "monster train might be the best deckbuilder since slay the spire" today, so that might be worth checking out.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/05/22/monster-train-might-be-the-best-deckbuilder-since-slay-the-spire/

Myself I'm a pretty big fan of "Trials of Fire", but it's very different.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

any space sims out there in the vein of X3, Freelancer, with multiplayer that are finished and actually good? Elite: Dangerous doesn't interest me too much but i'm open to it

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Star Traders: Frontiers is pretty good.

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

I don't think that has multiplayer.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Don't get into E:D, it doesn't have what you're looking for. The multiplayer is mostly non existant outside of the few high traffic spots left.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
I'm out of games to play for the time being, so I need something to occupy my down time.

I really enjoy MMORPG's, but I've played and burnt out on pretty much all of them. Are there any good multiplayer games that let you kind of goof off in a big open world with halfway decent combat?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Manxome Foe posted:

I really enjoy MMORPG's, but I've played and burnt out on pretty much all of them. Are there any good multiplayer games that let you kind of goof off in a big open world with halfway decent combat?

Saints Row 4
Dying Light

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it's not open world, but monster hunter world has pretty huge, intricate maps to explore, and has four player multiplayer to go on hunts to take on big ol' monsters together. there is a huge variety of weapons that all play almost completely differently from each other, from the greatsword which is just a giant slab of metal the size of your hunter, to the hunting horn, where you toot out musical tunes to buff you and your party, then bludgeon the monster with your horn since it doubles as a giant mace. or the heavy bowgun, which is basically designed around that scene in predator where they're shooting all the guns into the jungle wildly.

it's a game that really rewards learning the eccentricities of each monster and the mechanics of each weapon, and with the iceborne expansion, the total roster size of monsters to fight is significant. It can be played solo or multiplayer and almost all hunts are balanced around whichever you choose, so if none of your friends are on, you can go on solo hunts which are still very rewarding. Each weapon is like learning a new fighting game character, but every single weapon is totally viable, solo or multiplayer. Personally, I fell in love with the Greatsword and never looked back, and over a thousand hunts later, still use it exclusively. It is seriously the most satisfying weapon I've ever used in a video game, it nails the weight and power of the weapon so well in every detail of the game. And if you're a sucker for MMO resource farming, well, there's plenty of that to do if you want to in MHW, but you can also eventually set up systems to automate that entire process for the most part and just focus on hunting if you want.

the original MHW launch trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OotQrKEqe94&hd=1

one of the fourteen different weapon types, the Greatsword's gameplay demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azF6ruKpeLM&hd=1

and a video that perfectly elucidates exactly what it is about the Greatsword that makes me love it so much
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sPtxKqRa0I&hd=1

the game also doesn't take itself too seriously so you can play dressup with your character without sacrificing stats once you start getting layered armor, which lets you look however you like while having the stats of the real armor underneath. so, like, this is my default outfit at all times, for example:

yes that's a horrifying 8-bit megaman outfit for my cat buddy and yes it's amazing, he makes 8-bit megaman noises when he runs and drinks and shoots

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Mayveena posted:

Dreamquest actually came out before Slay the Spire and has the same type of gameplay, you might want to look into it.

Dreamquest rules, I used to play Slay the Spire while at work so it became one of my most played Steam games as well and then when I started to get bored of it, I got DreamQuest and played for another 40 hours, and I feel like it did pretty much everything that I'd want to see out of a deck builder roguelike.

The downside is that now I have no desire to ever play another deck builder roguelike :kiddo:

e: @Artelier the best non-roguelike singleplayer deckbuilder is still 1997's Magic: The Gathering by Microprose, AKA Shandalar. It's an open world RPG where you wander around the plane of Shandalar fighting M:TG duels against various planeswalkers, collecting cards and building/editing/switching your deck as you progress. It is exactly what you're looking for here if you can tolerate a 23 year old game.

There's a 2010 fan repack/update with lots of community patches and 64bit support that I think should probably be really easy to get running on archive.org:
https://archive.org/details/MagicTheGathering2010Edition

Here's a 4 hour video of gameplay that I found on Youtube I have no idea if it's any good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIxvZlRvI00

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 24, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The video game of pokemon the card game is my favorite videogame TCG, but you'd probably need to get an emulator to play it. You'd definitely need an emulator to play the sequel, since it was never released outside of Japan and you'd need to :filez: the fan translation. The Megaman Battle Network games work on a hybrid between deck-building and real-time action, and they're pretty fun. They were released on the Wii-U virtual console if that still works, so they can be played without :filez:.

More easily accessible, there's Ironclad Tactics, a game where you build a deck to command steampunk robots in the civil war and the Guild of Dungeoneering, where you go through dungeons to collect gear that builds your deck kinda like in Card Hunter.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Artelier posted:

Humble bundle I think still has a deal going on for the Lord of the Rings Adventure Card Game

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
shandalar is so good that wizards of the coast will never remake or rerelease it since doing so would render its current cash cow online versions of magic irrelevant

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

is there an online Magic client yet that has both a) the entire card pool back to Alpha and b) rules enforcement?

until that happens, literally no MTGO clone is relevant

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So I think I've been able to refine what I am looking for since last asking about a sim/management game. I'm thinking along the lines of simfarm or uncharted waters regarding supply chains and the whole buy low/sell high sorta stuff.

Right now I'm thinking Tropico 6 or Anno 1800. Any thoughts?

I had a lot of fun with Banished but I'd like something a little deeper I think.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Tropico 3-4-5 folks went on to make Surviving Mars. I haven't played it but if that track record appeals to you it might be worth looking into.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If the fun you had with Banished was mainly about keeping your people alive in harsh conditions and scant resources, go play Frostpunk.

Anno's definitely the series to go for if you want to build a city that is also an engine for creating resources to make other resources to make money out of to build further. I think there's other series that go further into the aspect of running a trading company, but I never managed to get into those. I think the big names are Patrician and Port Royale.

I love the Tropico series, but I wouldn't call them deep. You can try paying attention to what's most profitable, but there's usually not much chance of losing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

I love the Tropico series, but I wouldn't call them deep. You can try paying attention to what's most profitable, but there's usually not much chance of losing.

i mean this is also true of Frostpunk, it's a narrative game disguised as a city builder

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

StrixNebulosa posted:

Help?

I just saw Train Station Renovation on Steam yesterday and was amused by how specific it was. But it seems to have some decent reviews that compare it to House Flipper so :shrug:. It's early access though... but does have a demo. I have no idea if it's any good and have no interest in it myself, your request just reminded me of it!

e: Was further behind on the thread then I thought!

Artelier posted:

Monster Train just came out and is pretty good. Similar to StS in a lot of ways but different enough both mechanically and in terms of how you progress to be it's own thing. You still have the equivilent of "acension" and a seeded daily run as well as a couple of other fun competitive modes. I find it a lot more all-or-nothing than StS, in that you can never really eke out a win with a generically good deck, you have to pretty much get some kind of combo that breaks the game, but there are a lot of tools to just that which makes it fun, but probably more swingy. I'm having a lot of fun with it. Also good music.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 09:36 on May 25, 2020

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Are there any good games like tactics ogre, but like in terms of story and themes and presentation? I like the gameplay but I'm pretty specifically itching for that complex political intrigue amidst war with really heavy drama sort of story

Already played fftactics

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ninjewtsu posted:

Are there any good games like tactics ogre, but like in terms of story and themes and presentation? I like the gameplay but I'm pretty specifically itching for that complex political intrigue amidst war with really heavy drama sort of story

Already played fftactics

Have you played Radiant Historia?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

ninjewtsu posted:

Already played fftactics

The Suikoden games are very good about that. Gameplay-wise they all have some jankiness, but from what I've seen/heard the only one where the gameplay majorly detracts from the fun is 4. Also if you still want something tactic-ish there's Suikoden Tactics.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

Already played fftactics

Masquerada: Songs and Shadows

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

ShootaBoy posted:

Don't get into E:D, it doesn't have what you're looking for. The multiplayer is mostly non existant outside of the few high traffic spots left.

And even when you find people, ED's multiplayer is a completely unbalanced mess, as the devs shat out a poorly planned "Engineers" upgrade system that made ships incredibly more powerful than vanilla, provided you didn't mind slogging through a big, lovely grind. Jumping into PvP without participating in this lovely grind will have you killed in 10 seconds or fewer, during which time you'll reduce the other player's shields by 0.5%.

And other than PvP, there aren't a ton of people playing in the open multiplayer mode, and there are minimal benefits to doing so. Most people play in solo, in which they still share the same galaxy and gameplay, but they don't instance with other players. It's a singleplayer game that's trying to halfass its way as an MMO.

Their co-operative multiplayer features also have issues, both technical (frequent disconnects) and design (NPC ship crew receive more compensation than human ship crew :psyduck: ).

Their upcoming bigass content release requires a player to have ridiculous amounts of credits to participate, and thus is only feasible if a player hops onto whatever buggy feature is accidentally paying out far more than it should at the moment, or they play the game literally full-time like it's a job. Someone who primarily plays for combat would have to shoot down tens of thousands of ships just to get their foot in the door of the new fleet carriers.

From a design standpoint, Elite: Dangerous is a loving mess that would've been abandoned long ago had they not absolutely nailed the flight model, audio, and sense of scale, especially in VR. As detestable as I find much of the game, the actual in-the-cockpit experience is fantastic and has singlehandedly kept the game populated. But yeah, I'd never recommend it as a multiplayer game.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Shine posted:

From a design standpoint, Elite: Dangerous is a loving mess that would've been abandoned long ago had they not absolutely nailed the flight model, audio, and sense of scale, especially in VR. As detestable as I find much of the game, the actual in-the-cockpit experience is fantastic and has singlehandedly kept the game populated. But yeah, I'd never recommend it as a multiplayer game.

I have installed it multiple times, tried messing with the controls and resetting and all I get is my ship going into spins.
I'm lucky I don't have problems that would make me vomit, its that bad.
I don't get why people love it when I find the controls horrid.
I absolutely love the controls of Descent Freespace, X3 and even NMS to a point.
NMS isnt great but its doable.

But ED...I just can't seem to get past the controls.

I have never really even begun to play because I cannot seem to get past the battle part of the tutorial.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

If you mean the advanced combat tutorial, its literally broken. Even experienced pilots who are actually good at pvp can't win it most times, because the AI ship gets engineering now and the player is still in a stock Sidewinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

ShootaBoy posted:

If you mean the advanced combat tutorial, its literally broken. Even experienced pilots who are actually good at pvp can't win it most times, because the AI ship gets engineering now and the player is still in a stock Sidewinder.

And this is why someone bought :frontear: