Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Someone mentioned a few pages ago that's playing through Shadow Warrior (2013) and I've realized I own it on my steam account with 0 hours played (weird, I played it on release, maybe on another platform, dunno), so I decided to reinstall and play through it again. I forgot how fun it is, Wangtastic!

I'm a sucker for shooters/action games with a decent story, characters and lot's of flavour and humour, like Shadow Warrior, Blood Dragon, Call of Juarez:Gunslinger.

Can someone reccomend me similar games? My pc is not top of the line though, so moderate spec requirements.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 10:16 on May 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Bulletstorm.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

E:D's flying controls spoiled me for the other, better space games being made these days. Like I appreciate that House of the Dying Sun, Everspace, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw are good to great games, but they're not designed for joystick and they're just a little oversimplified.

Like, I'm not even looking for sim controls, Freespace 2 is my usual jam. I just want to feel like the game I'm playing was designed for joystick and not a 360 gamepad, not because I don't like using my gamepad or for some elitist reason, it's just an important part of the whole spaceship fantasy to me and adds a lot to the enjoyment.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Angry Lobster posted:

I'm a sucker for shooters/action games with a decent story, characters and lot's of flavour and humour, like Shadow Warrior, Blood Dragon, Call of Juarez:Gunslinger.

Can someone reccomend me similar games? My pc is not top of the line though, so moderate spec requirements.

Binary Domain, everything by Remedy.

Non-shooter action games: Yakuza, Metal Gear Rising etc.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Angry Lobster posted:

Someone mentioned a few pages ago that's playing through Shadow Warrior (2013) and I've realized I own it on my steam account with 0 hours played (weird, I played it on release, maybe on another platform, dunno), so I decided to reinstall and play through it again. I forgot how fun it is, Wangtastic!

Armed and Dangerous
No One Lives Forever

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:22 on May 26, 2020

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Hwurmp posted:

Armed and Dangerous

I revisited this one a few years ago. It hasn't aged gracefully, but the humor and story still stand up.

Actual recommendation: the first modern Wolfenstein and its expansion has gobs of character married with some very satisfying shooting. It's sequels, not as much. Do. not. get. Wolfenstein: Youngblood. It might be too too beefy for a modest machine, depending on the specs, though.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

John Murdoch posted:

Bulletstorm.

Neat, goes to my wishlist.

Kennel posted:

Binary Domain, everything by Remedy.

Non-shooter action games: Yakuza, Metal Gear Rising etc.

Never been a Kojima fan.

What's the consensus about the best Yakuza game? I heard a lot of people swear about Yakuza 0.

Afriscipio posted:

I revisited this one a few years ago. It hasn't aged gracefully, but the humor and story still stand up.

Actual recommendation: the first modern Wolfenstein and its expansion has gobs of character married with some very satisfying shooting. It's sequels, not as much. Do. not. get. Wolfenstein: Youngblood. It might be too too beefy for a modest machine, depending on the specs, though.

Yep, I recently watched LPs of New Order and New Colossus. They are on my list but I'm not in much of a hurry.

Hwurmp posted:

Armed and Dangerous
No One Lives Forever

If I recall correctly, you can't buy a functional copy of No One Lives Forever anymore, right?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Angry Lobster posted:

What's the consensus about the best Yakuza game? I heard a lot of people swear about Yakuza 0.

I haven't played all of them but 0 is a fine place to start.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

How about Singularity? Solid shooter, interesting story set in an alternate-timeline Soviet Union. I beat it in 5 hours, but I had plenty of fun during those 5 hours.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Angry Lobster posted:

Never been a Kojima fan.

How about Platinum Games? Because they took the project and made it into an actual game, not Konami/Kojima. And it shows.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Mindblast posted:

How about Platinum Games? Because they took the project and made it into an actual game, not Konami/Kojima. And it shows.

Ok, I didn't know that, will look into it and maybe will give it an opportunity whenever I have some spare time and cash.

Phlegmish posted:

How about Singularity? Solid shooter, interesting story set in an alternate-timeline Soviet Union. I beat it in 5 hours, but I had plenty of fun during those 5 hours.

Forgot about it, played it already and I agree, it's pretty good.

Hwurmp posted:

I haven't played all of them but 0 is a fine place to start.

Ok, gonna pick it up on the next sale.

Thank you all for the recommendations.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Metal Gear Rising is DEFINITELY not a Kojima game. It's a Platinum game with Metal Gear characters. It's one of my all time favorite games, I highly recommend it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ShootaBoy posted:

If you mean the advanced combat tutorial, its literally broken. Even experienced pilots who are actually good at pvp can't win it most times, because the AI ship gets engineering now and the player is still in a stock Sidewinder.

Yeah, failing the tutorial so hard also made me put down the game. That and the controls were way to complex to play in VR without a flight stick.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Metal Gear Rising loving owns. If you are at all into Devil May Cry's stylish action shtick, then you'll enjoy Rising. Holy poo poo it's so much fun, and the writing is better than any of the sappy poo poo in the mainline Metal Gear Solid titles. The soundtrack loving rules, especially the boss themes.

The whole thing is over the top in the best way. I mean, the main villain is a roided up libertarian white guy who quotes Dr. King, i.e. probably one of your uncles.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
my dude the main bad guy isn't just that, it's literally superpowered dick cheney complete with a nanomachine-fueled artificial heart

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Shine posted:

Metal Gear Rising loving owns. If you are at all into Devil May Cry's stylish action shtick, then you'll enjoy Rising. Holy poo poo it's so much fun, and the writing is better than any of the sappy poo poo in the mainline Metal Gear Solid titles. The soundtrack loving rules, especially the boss themes.

The whole thing is over the top in the best way. I mean, the main villain is a roided up libertarian white guy who quotes Dr. King, i.e. probably one of your uncles.
ok I really misread that as Dr King probably being one of the poster's uncles, and was really confused and alarmed

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

the main antagonist has great lines like COULD'VE GONE PRO and NANO MACHINES SON it is the best

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like people like him were always implied to be around in the rest of Kojima's games, except usually they're way off in the background responsible for everything, and in Rising instead of despairing at how war is a horrible thing and the bureaucracy will just chew up and destroy people trying to do their best to serve it, you're in a big punch-up with him.

Which is off-theme but much more cathartic.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i saw there's a new dungeon defenders game on sale? is it any good? the idea of dungeon defenders i find fun and interesting but the execution i've never found to be super great, and apparently the devs are real jerks too?

if the game's good i might be willing to buy it for myself and some buddies though

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ninjewtsu posted:

i saw there's a new dungeon defenders game on sale? is it any good? the idea of dungeon defenders i find fun and interesting but the execution i've never found to be super great, and apparently the devs are real jerks too?

if the game's good i might be willing to buy it for myself and some buddies though

Judging from the reviews it looks like it's yet another sloppy attempt at remaking the first game. Dunno if they made any actual changes to improve upon it, but considering their last attempt was so bad they scrubbed it from Steam entirely and told everyone to just play the (now fan-developed) original version instead...I doubt it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

So, I can't part with the cash for X4 and my PC probably can't run it anyway, but I want to build up a big fleet of ships with a simulated economic model and summon them to a trouble spot and have a big shootout, feel like a real big space man.

• Helium Rain, which is on sale for $7.50 on GOG.
  • X3: Terran War, which I already own, but is old, and I'm so not going to figure out mods for and play vanilla, but it's probably still good.
  • Some other drat thing that's cheap or free. Endless Sky maybe?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

So, I can't part with the cash for X4 and my PC probably can't run it anyway, but I want to build up a big fleet of ships with a simulated economic model and summon them to a trouble spot and have a big shootout, feel like a real big space man.

• X3: Terran War, which I already own, but is old, and I'm so not going to figure out mods for and play vanilla, but it's probably still good.

Void Destroyer 2

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

E:D's flying controls spoiled me for the other, better space games being made these days. Like I appreciate that House of the Dying Sun, Everspace, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw are good to great games, but they're not designed for joystick and they're just a little oversimplified.

Like, I'm not even looking for sim controls, Freespace 2 is my usual jam. I just want to feel like the game I'm playing was designed for joystick and not a 360 gamepad, not because I don't like using my gamepad or for some elitist reason, it's just an important part of the whole spaceship fantasy to me and adds a lot to the enjoyment.

I don't get this because flying with a mouse and keyboard in E:D is so easy that you could almost say there is little to no skill involved. I've always wondered if people were making the game way harder for themselves by using these peripherals

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

You need Starsector in your life: https://fractalsoftworks.com/

Best 15$ you'll ever spend.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Cross-posting (with a few edits) from the games chat thread because I didnt see this thread until now:

Eason the Fifth posted:

I'm looking for games that have that "keep you playing" quality (which I'm sure has a name--besides "compelling"--but I don't know what it is). Games like WoW or Grim Dawn have it with world design, the loot chase, and the social aspect. Total War/X-COM/Darkest Dungeon have it with the high-suspense turn-based gameplay. Deus Ex and Prey also have that quality, but those two games use story, sound, and immersive gameplay to generate it. It's a quality that goes across genres, so I'm not looking for any specific type of game. Just the ones that make you want to keep playing. Any suggestions?

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

SpacePope posted:

Starsector is good. Endless Sky is good for being a free game.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Eason the Fifth posted:

Cross-posting (with a few edits) from the games chat thread because I didnt see this thread until now:

Dusk (starts of kinda vanilla, gets into really weird levels in ep2 onwards, really cool to explore), Terraria (built around exploring, gathering gear, finding new poo poo), Civ (one more turn! one more turn!), Caves of Qud (really cool world and writing, enough procedural stuff to keep it interesting, and goon made!) , Infinifactory (great puzzles, and also a neat backstory and locales), HITMAN 2 (exploring and trying out stuff in this game is the best poo poo).
quick edit: also Stellaris! A great 'grand' strategy game but it also features really cool smaller plots, anomalies, digs, stories, etc.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Eason the Fifth posted:

X-Com and Darkest Dungeon have pretty much perfected the gameplay loop of battle and resting/re-equipping. I totally get how they are compelling - the gameplay is portioned out so it doesn't get stale and you're always discovering something new in the downtime. In that vein, check out FTL and oddly, the Mass Effect series as well. Going further afield, Age of Wonders 3/Age of Wonders Planetfall are 4x games with excellent tactical combat as well as exploration and research/building. Each turn has a similiar rhythm, it's like X-Com on a larger scale.

Terraria as mentioned, can also be good for that, depending on your playstyle. Stellaris is excellent as well.

Aside from all that, if you like Grim Dawn, you'll probably like Path of Exile. Titan Quest also got an expansion last year and still holds up.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

SpacePope posted:

Saul Kain posted:

Starsector is good. Endless Sky is good for being a free game.

Shame there ain't more, but I'll check Starsector out. Thanks!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I don't get this because flying with a mouse and keyboard in E:D is so easy that you could almost say there is little to no skill involved. I've always wondered if people were making the game way harder for themselves by using these peripherals
That's fair enough, yeah, I just find it more fun with one since they put in the work to make it an enjoyable control option instead of an afterthought. The majority of players probably don't have anything of the sort so it makes sense that M&K has to be on the same level

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
My brother managed to forget his account information - like, all of it - since the last time he played Sims 3, and he was unable to convince EA's Helpdesktron that he deserved to be able to play his physical discs. No one involved is exactly eager to shoot more money at EA, so we're looking for an alternative. He says his favorite part is having the characters work and interact with each other and stuff, and that the house-building is secondary. What might he like?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Bit of a long shot, but Rimworld?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

FredMSloniker posted:

He says his favorite part is having the characters work and interact with each other and stuff, and that the house-building is secondary. What might he like?

Crusader Kings II :v:

Yep, Rimworld is the one that comes to mind.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

FredMSloniker posted:

My brother managed to forget his account information - like, all of it - since the last time he played Sims 3, and he was unable to convince EA's Helpdesktron that he deserved to be able to play his physical discs. No one involved is exactly eager to shoot more money at EA, so we're looking for an alternative. He says his favorite part is having the characters work and interact with each other and stuff, and that the house-building is secondary. What might he like?

Rimworld with the psychology mod. I don't know the age of your brother so watch for a self-harm mental break event from the mod, and the base game itself features drugs and slavery and stuff.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Have you read the Rimworld thread? Self harm is a serious issue that I would never try to detract from but it doesn't even come within the top 1000 of horrifying things that happen on the Rimworlds :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Pharnakes posted:

Have you read the Rimworld thread? Self harm is a serious issue that I would never try to detract from but it doesn't even come within the top 1000 of horrifying things that happen on the Rimworlds :v:

Oh I read it. I mostly mention it because it's a weirdly graphic event that psychology adds and it's not something you can CHOOSE to do. Like, turning prisoners into human leather so you can wear them as hats is a choice, a prisoner breaking and giving you an alert that they're cutting themselves is not, and I don't want anyone to get hurt by playing an otherwise awesome game.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I think it'd be best to stay away from Rimworld. For one thing, it's not exactly a super-casual game. For another, he has... well, there's a lot going on in his life, and he's not incredibly emotionally stable. Any suggestions for more of a chill vibe?

On a sort of related note, I myself have been interested in Rimworld, but one of the things that's made me reluctant to pull the trigger is what I've heard of the storytellers, i.e. two of them will just murder you eventually and the third might murder you immediately. Is there a modded storyteller that ramps up the difficulty over time, but doesn't just give you nothing but endgame raids at the high end?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Is Animal Crossing an option?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

FredMSloniker posted:

I think it'd be best to stay away from Rimworld. For one thing, it's not exactly a super-casual game. For another, he has... well, there's a lot going on in his life, and he's not incredibly emotionally stable. Any suggestions for more of a chill vibe?

On a sort of related note, I myself have been interested in Rimworld, but one of the things that's made me reluctant to pull the trigger is what I've heard of the storytellers, i.e. two of them will just murder you eventually and the third might murder you immediately. Is there a modded storyteller that ramps up the difficulty over time, but doesn't just give you nothing but endgame raids at the high end?

Stardew Valley, maybe?

Rimworld has difficulty settings that let you determine how much the storytellers can bring to bear against you; at the most chill setting I believe almost all the damaging events (including raids) are disabled. You can also adjust those settings mid game, if you want to give yourself a grace period to get started and then start scaling up, or if you start finding the endgame raids to be a hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

What do you think about My Time at Portia