Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Ok, so my wife has only ever liked to play a handful of video games in her life, but was watching me play Grim Dawn and out of the blue said 'find me a game like Fable 2'. So I guess what I'm looking for is something sort of like Fable 2.

Some extra info:
She is not a good gamer, so if anything is too difficult or technical she will lose interest fast. An easy mode is basically a must.
She does not like lots of violence and/or gore. She commented that Grim Dawn was too much, but obviously didn't have a hard time with Fable 2 (so like, superhero violence or beating up robots or something is probably fine).
The game would preferably be for the Switch or PS4 (or cell phone.. if somehow there is a fun fable 2 like game on that).
Games she has liked in the past: dominoes on her phone. Plants vs Zombies. Rock Band/Guitar Hero. Fable 2.
Game I already have which may work: Zelda Breath of the Wild (might be a little too difficult for her? I remember Fable 2 being incredibly easy).
She really liked the magic in Fable 2 so casting magic spells to blow up bad guys would be a big bonus.

My wife and I have been playing Diablo 3 together for years. It's not quite as gritty as Grim Dawn and it's as easy or hard as you want it to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Manager Hoyden posted:

My wife and I have been playing Diablo 3 together for years. It's not quite as gritty as Grim Dawn and it's as easy or hard as you want it to be.

Yup. My wife and I were long-distance at first and we had Diablo 3 date nights. You can tromp your way through the campaign for the silly story stuff, and then run bounties and poo poo until you're bored, and then hop back on when a new season starts and do more bullshit. It's a good on again/off again game.

The Switch port is great. Doing inventory stuff is kinda awkward when you gotta take turns hogging the screen, but being able to kick back on the couch together (and your characters being forced to stay close to each other) makes for fun date nights.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think Jade Empire springs to mind as something similar to fable, with its many sidequests where you can make choices. The mystic atmosphere of the game seems like it might even have a similar feel to Fable's whole fairy tale aesthetic. That could lead her into exploring other Bioware games, although Dragon Age has a bit more horror than she may be comfortable with. Witcher 3 could also be good in that vein, although it's pretty magic-lite and also a bit mature.

Alternatively: Fable 3.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Ok, so my wife has only ever liked to play a handful of video games in her life, but was watching me play Grim Dawn and out of the blue said 'find me a game like Fable 2'. So I guess what I'm looking for is something sort of like Fable 2.

Some extra info:
She is not a good gamer, so if anything is too difficult or technical she will lose interest fast. An easy mode is basically a must.
She does not like lots of violence and/or gore. She commented that Grim Dawn was too much, but obviously didn't have a hard time with Fable 2 (so like, superhero violence or beating up robots or something is probably fine).
The game would preferably be for the Switch or PS4 (or cell phone.. if somehow there is a fun fable 2 like game on that).
Games she has liked in the past: dominoes on her phone. Plants vs Zombies. Rock Band/Guitar Hero. Fable 2.
Game I already have which may work: Zelda Breath of the Wild (might be a little too difficult for her? I remember Fable 2 being incredibly easy).
She really liked the magic in Fable 2 so casting magic spells to blow up bad guys would be a big bonus.

The Link’s Awakening remake is even more user-friendly and adorable than Breath of the Wild. Try that instead.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Some good ideas here. Pretty sure I have diablo 3 for the PS4 somewhere so I'll float that past her, but I think she'll think it's too violent. I tried to get her interested in marvel ultimate alliance but she seemed very 'meh' on that.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Thirding that my wife likes Diablo 3 because “you go fast and slurp stuff up and it’s easy to play”. Albeit this is on the lowest difficulty with me handling her character build, but still good fun co-op.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I really like playing State of Decay 2 and I want that same experience in a multiplayer game with a few friends. I know that particular game has multiplayer, but it's not really a shared survival/base-building experience - they can just drop in to help temporarily in a limited capacity but don't "live" in the world they visit.

What are my options for a base building, shared world, multiplayer game with meaningful persistent progress?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Manager Hoyden posted:

I really like playing State of Decay 2 and I want that same experience in a multiplayer game with a few friends. I know that particular game has multiplayer, but it's not really a shared survival/base-building experience - they can just drop in to help temporarily in a limited capacity but don't "live" in the world they visit.

What are my options for a base building, shared world, multiplayer game with meaningful persistent progress?

The Forrest might be for you. It's pretty good with friends and works very well playing and building together.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I just finished Arkham Asylum, and personally, the part I liked most was the Riddler puzzles. What are some games that are just that? Basically something like The Witness but with a stronger platforming aspect. Looking for collectibles and specific background objects/scenery, etc. Combat can be okay but I'd very much prefer if it wasn't the primary activity.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So you're looking for a platforming collectathon?

Super Mario Odyssey and A Hat in Time spring to mind.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Well I don't have a Switch, but I do have A Hat in Time in the backlog, so it doesn't go too much into fighting?

Either way, I'm downloading AHiT so I'll see for myself, thanks for the suggestion.

vvvvvvvvvvvv e: oh yeah, that's been on my wishlist, I'll have to remember that next time I'm buying, thank you both!

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 20, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I just finished Arkham Asylum, and personally, the part I liked most was the Riddler puzzles. What are some games that are just that? Basically something like The Witness but with a stronger platforming aspect. Looking for collectibles and specific background objects/scenery, etc. Combat can be okay but I'd very much prefer if it wasn't the primary activity.

It's not a platformer, but Filament has a major secondary system where you find hidden puzzle patterns in the environment and plug them into a terminal for collectible text logs.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

So you're looking for a platforming collectathon?

Super Mario Odyssey and A Hat in Time spring to mind.

Yeah, Mario Odyssey (and 3D Mario in general) is all about collecting poo poo, often off of clues that require some detective work, of sorts. Though it can get silly.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Well I don't have a Switch, but I do have A Hat in Time in the backlog, so it doesn't go too much into fighting?

Either way, I'm downloading AHiT so I'll see for myself, thanks for the suggestion.

vvvvvvvvvvvv e: oh yeah, that's been on my wishlist, I'll have to remember that next time I'm buying, thank you both!

Good choice! AHiT is fantastic. Don’t worry, it doesn’t get too heavily into combat — gameplay-wise, it’s on par with Mario 64 — but having some basic level of familiarity with 3D platforming will help a ton.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Zanzibar Ham posted:

The Talos Principle is a puzzle platformer, but not so much about finding hidden stuff

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jul 20, 2020

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I would not call Talos Principle a puzzle platformer. Like, yes, you will occasionally use platforms, and blocks can be stacked, but you don't jump around very much.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I'm looking for a naval strategy game, preferably WW2 and with no interest in controlling individual units. Maybe something where as well as the tactical side of battles and strategic side of the war, there is something on the back-end as well for designing and constructing ships, resource management etc.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

kaesarsosei posted:

I'm looking for a naval strategy game, preferably WW2 and with no interest in controlling individual units. Maybe something where as well as the tactical side of battles and strategic side of the war, there is something on the back-end as well for designing and constructing ships, resource management etc.

Rule the waves 1 or 2. 2 is a much more ambitious take with carriers and things, but over reached a bit on release and isn’t quite finished yet. 1 is only for ww1 so dreadnoughts only, no carriers.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Kind of a general game question, but what is the best way to keep up with rising small independent games?

Like I'll hear about a cool game that some guy or small team is developing and wow you can download the current alpha but it turns out the game has been around for years and already has a community behind it. I would like to be more informed of situations like this earlier.

Examples would be Dwarf Fortress back before z-levels, Minecraft when it had limited map size, and Cataclysm before it was even Dark Days Ahead.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Manager Hoyden posted:

Kind of a general game question, but what is the best way to keep up with rising small independent games?

Like I'll hear about a cool game that some guy or small team is developing and wow you can download the current alpha but it turns out the game has been around for years and already has a community behind it. I would like to be more informed of situations like this earlier.

Examples would be Dwarf Fortress back before z-levels, Minecraft when it had limited map size, and Cataclysm before it was even Dark Days Ahead.

Off the top of my head

- follow gamedev twitters they will promote each other's works
- keep an eye on gaming kickstarters
- itch.io
- gamedev threads
- ????

Good luck! 90% of what you follow will never go anywhere.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Manager Hoyden posted:

That might actually make a good thread. We have the fresh releases thread for things that have just come out, but nothing for anything earlier than that.

e: In a thread like that, it'd be very natural to link to ongoing kickstarter campaigns, but that could potentially run up against existing anti-spam rules. Best to clear it with the mods first.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Can anybody recommend something along the lines of an updated Marble Madness? PC or Switch, please.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Funktor posted:

Can anybody recommend something along the lines of an updated Marble Madness? PC or Switch, please.

Super Monkey Ball?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

kaesarsosei posted:

Related to the "what about upcoming games" convo, Task Force: Admiral sounds like it might do what you want, but it's still in development.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Funktor posted:

Rock of Ages

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Funktor posted:

This game is a spiritual successor to Marble Blast Ultra (360 game):
https://store.steampowered.com/app/864060/Marble_It_Up/

I haven't played it but I want to.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

Find an indie news outlet with some hipster cred?

I remember I got clued into the free Minecraft alpha by an article on rock paper shotgun... 11 years ago? That site has changed though, they only have 2 writers left who reliably cover weird new poo poo. So I’m looking for a replacement as well.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

Rule the waves 1 or 2. 2 is a much more ambitious take with carriers and things, but over reached a bit on release and isn’t quite finished yet. 1 is only for ww1 so dreadnoughts only, no carriers.

Thanks but I had a look at some videos and this is much too hard-core for me. I would still like some pretty things to look at.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Related to the "what about upcoming games" convo, Task Force: Admiral sounds like it might do what you want, but it's still in development.

Cheers I'll take a look.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
The only other design a ship game is ultimate admiral: dreadnoughts, but currently it has no strategic layer yet, and you only control a handful of ships at most. It is very good to look at though.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Dumb question. Are there any open-world survival crafting games where you build a base/town/whatever that NPCs move into? I know there's Terraria, and Fallout 4 has those elements, wondering what else out there lets you create a town and actually have NPCs live in it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

khy posted:

Dumb question. Are there any open-world survival crafting games where you build a base/town/whatever that NPCs move into? I know there's Terraria, and Fallout 4 has those elements, wondering what else out there lets you create a town and actually have NPCs live in it

You can do this in Minecraft too, although villager recruitment is a little esoteric. (You either cure zombie villagers to inhabit the houses you've built, or you just kidnap existing villagers if that suits your ethics. :v: )

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I love survival crafting games (Ark, Subnautica, etc), but building up big elaborate bases and cities and all kinds of stuff like that is a little disappointing when it's always empty. NPCs of some kind who live in the areas you build make the world seem that tiny bit more 'alive'.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

khy posted:

You could ask in the Management thread.. They might know.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

khy posted:

Dragon Quest Builders! I loved them, and bounced hard off of Minecraft. In DQB2, the residents actually help, which is nice. The first game is kinda hard to get into after the QoL changes in 2, but I think the campaign in 1 is better.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

khy posted:

Rimworld?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
dwarf fortress, if you're interested in getting a theoretical degree in management games and are willing to become an alcoholic

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Definitely Rimworld with hospitality, dwarf fortress if you can take it or wait for the steam version probably sometime next year or maybe 2022.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Funktor posted:

you're absolutely looking for Marble It Up

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Funktor posted:

While not a "directly control your ball" experience like you're requesting, I'll give an honorable mention to Golf With Your Friends, which is a minigolf game where the courses have all sorts of zany bullshit for you to navigate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Rock of Ages if you don't mind some tower defense stuff