Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

what's the first game you play when you've built/bought a new computer, after getting through the slog of installing all work-related software?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DOOM

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I'm looking for a co-op PC FPS to play with my 8 year old son. He has a decent amount of FPS(-ish) experience between Overwatch, Minecraft, and some Roblox games. I was thinking maybe about one of the Halo games, since I never played them before, but I guess Halo 1 in the MCC isn't out yet? Was thinking it'd be nice to start with the first.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cicero posted:

I'm looking for a co-op PC FPS to play with my 8 year old son. He has a decent amount of FPS(-ish) experience between Overwatch, Minecraft, and some Roblox games. I was thinking maybe about one of the Halo games, since I never played them before, but I guess Halo 1 in the MCC isn't out yet? Was thinking it'd be nice to start with the first.

It's there, along with 2, 3 and Reach. ODST and 4 are missing for now.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Thanks! After figuring out an issue with parental controls on his Xbox Live account, that worked out great!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

What are some good sites or writers for news and reviews of games these days? Genre doesn't matter much, although I'm not into Moba/Battle Royale/Esports stuff.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

double nine posted:

what's the first game you play when you've built/bought a new computer, after getting through the slog of installing all work-related software?

dwarf fortress

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

dwarf fortress

"How many cats can this system support before lagging?"

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

I've been thinking back fondly on A Tale in the Desert lately, specifically the crafting. Is there anything out there that has "skill based" crafting like trying to shape hatchets or blow glass in that game? Ideally, I'd like to gather materials of various grades/types, which would afford me more options to craft tools/weapons/armor/gear of various quality, which would allow me to explore further and access new materials.

I found maybe half of what I'm looking for in Master of Pottery. The making a pot part is quite cool, but I'd like more of a game behind that part.

Any suggestions welcome, thanks!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

double nine posted:

Something really pretty, like Elite Dangerous or Monster Hunter World.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

double nine posted:

For me it was Assassin's Creed Origins, and while that's not the new hotness anymore, I still feel like Odyssey might be about the prettiest game that comes to mind. I guess because of console limitations, I can't really think of anything too taxing beyond that except for probably some of the stuff coming out this fall.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

double nine posted:

Mass Effect. Which is probably more of a sign of just how old my computer is, since the one I had before this couldn't run it right, but the one thing stopping me from going back to play Mass Effect again is the fact that ME2 is like 20 gigs and if I wanna reinstall the whole trilogy it's 3 times as much, and I don't wanna take the time to clean out the other garbage on my computer to free up space.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If you're talking straight visuals, I don't think anything has surpassed Red Dead 2 in my opinion.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

there are a bunch of games now that come with ridiculous "only use these on a future computer" settings which I need to look up when I get my new PC soonish. Can't remember them off hand though... feel like Witcher 3 did have some but that game is 5 years old now.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

double nine posted:

Mine will probably be Total War: Warhammer 2 with the settings turned up and the troop sizes maxed out, hopefully in a few months.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm not sure how to explain exactly what I've been in the mood for so bear with me. I've been hankering for a third-person action game with weighty, impactful melee combat but not necessary one where that's the focus of the gameplay - thinking along the lines of MGS CQC or the bizarrely in-depth melee of Resident Evil 6, rather than like... Sekiro or DMC or Streets of Rage 4 or something where it's the main aspect of the game.

Just to confuse things further I feel like Yakuza fits the bill but games with Batman/Sleeping Dogs style rhythm combat don't, neither do Soulslikes. GTAV was OK thanks to the beefy physics and momentum but slightly too basic.

Look I just get these really hyper-specific cravings sometimes like I'm pregnant on Gaming. Any suggestions welcome!

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Yakuza? (Wow i can't read, you already said that)

Edit: Full Metal Furies maybe? Its Isometric, but two of the classes are Melee and definitely feel good to knock dudes around with, and i'd argue the games meta puzzles are as much of a focus as the combat

Vadun fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 28, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm not sure how to explain exactly what I've been in the mood for so bear with me. I've been hankering for a third-person action game with weighty, impactful melee combat but not necessary one where that's the focus of the gameplay - thinking along the lines of MGS CQC or the bizarrely in-depth melee of Resident Evil 6, rather than like... Sekiro or DMC or Streets of Rage 4 or something where it's the main aspect of the game.

Just to confuse things further I feel like Yakuza fits the bill but games with Batman/Sleeping Dogs style rhythm combat don't, neither do Soulslikes. GTAV was OK thanks to the beefy physics and momentum but slightly too basic.

Look I just get these really hyper-specific cravings sometimes like I'm pregnant on Gaming. Any suggestions welcome!

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

FEAR?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"Should I use my guns? OR, slide kick people to death?"

I remember very little about FEAR actually, but the fact melee was satisfying as hell stands out to me.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Section Z posted:

"Should I use my guns? OR, slide kick people to death?"

I remember very little about FEAR actually, but the fact melee was satisfying as hell stands out to me.

Hey you can Jump Kick too

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Are there any single player games with combat like World of Warcraft? By that I mean real time combat, you get a bunch of abilities, you have a global cooldown on most of your abilities so you can't just alphastrike, abilities have individual (and generally short) cooldowns, and you end up fighting using some sort of dynamic rotation/priority queue. Dragon Age 2 is in the ballpark, but the cooldowns on abilities are all way too long so you spend most of your time autoattacking.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gobbeldygook posted:

Are there any single player games with combat like World of Warcraft? By that I mean real time combat, you get a bunch of abilities, you have a global cooldown on most of your abilities so you can't just alphastrike, abilities have individual (and generally short) cooldowns, and you end up fighting using some sort of dynamic rotation/priority queue. Dragon Age 2 is in the ballpark, but the cooldowns on abilities are all way too long so you spend most of your time autoattacking.

Xenoblade

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Gobbeldygook posted:

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning which is conveniently getting a remaster with an even dumber title next month.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
This is going a bit far afield I'll admit, but Super Daryl Deluxe has most of what you're looking for combat-wise. I don't remember if it has a global cooldown, but since you don't have a basic autoattack doing an alpha-strike if possible would leave you unable to attack until at least one cooldown finishes. You customize a move loadout and different moves have different cooldowns/damage/utility, so part of the game is figuring out which moves synergize well with each other.

But it's a 2D Metroidvania-ish platformer rather than what you probably had in mind.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

exquisite tea posted:

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning which is conveniently getting a remaster with an even dumber title next month.
Will check them out.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

This is going a bit far afield I'll admit, but Super Daryl Deluxe has most of what you're looking for combat-wise. I don't remember if it has a global cooldown, but since you don't have a basic autoattack doing an alpha-strike if possible would leave you unable to attack until at least one cooldown finishes. You customize a move loadout and different moves have different cooldowns/damage/utility, so part of the game is figuring out which moves synergize well with each other.

But it's a 2D Metroidvania-ish platformer rather than what you probably had in mind.
Might look at this too!

---

I caught myself thinking about The Good Times (hahaha) playing WoW and realized I couldn't remember ever playing a single-player game that really ripped it off. WoW has a 1.5 second global cooldown for most abilities, so even a very demanding class doesn't require you use an ability more than every second or two, but you do need to push the buttons in real time. There's no shortage of action-oriented games that require you push lots of buttons in real time and lots of turn-based games where you have to juggle ability bars of stuff, but not many where you're trying not to stand in the fire while maintaining a rotation like:

quote:

GENERAL ROTATION
Use our rage spender Rampage if any of these apply:

Recklessness is active
Enrage is not up
Rage is above 90
Our other spells go in a priority like this:

Recklessness
Siegebreaker
Execute
Bladestorm if talented, and previous GCD was Rampage
Bloodthirst
Dragon Roar if talented, and enrage is up
Raging Blow
Whirlwind
It's been 10 years and I still remember all of my prot warrior keybindings. :smithicide:

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 29, 2020

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I mean it definitely is the focus, but mount & blade?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Gobbeldygook posted:

Dragon Age 3 lol

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gobbeldygook posted:

Masquerada: Songs and Shadows

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Why not come back and play WoW? The Goon guilds are welcoming and good people. On Retail we just ran a very successful heroic raid last night. There is also WoW classic now which is on vanilla. I haven’t messed with that though.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Saul Kain posted:

Why not come back and play WoW? The Goon guilds are welcoming and good people. On Retail we just ran a very successful heroic raid last night. There is also WoW classic now which is on vanilla. I haven’t messed with that though.

probably because MMOs are brain poison op

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Mechafunkzilla posted:

probably because MMOs are brain poison op

:ohdear:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

exquisite tea posted:

What the gently caress, really? Isn't the studio (previously owned by Curt Schilling) bankrupt and out of business / somehow now owned by Rhode Island?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

RI sold the license to THQ last year, so as a Rhode Islander I can no longer truly recommend the game because I will no longer be receiving residuals from your purchase.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Kingdoms is a fun game. The flow does feel like leveling in an MMO. I think it was originally planned for it to either be the prologue for an mmo or an mmo itself.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Aarklash: Legacy is sometimes compared to a single-player WoW raid, but I don't know that the party control system in it will hit the ability usage itch you're looking for. I think it gets that comparison because each character has a specific role and location and poo poo like that to manage rather than a rotation.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

double nine posted:

Something pretty. For my current PC that was Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

If you happen to have watched Mythic Quest that's where all the nice looking medieval stills are from. Then you find a hammer and cave some skulls in.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.

khy posted:

Dumb question. Are there any open-world survival crafting games where you build a base/town/whatever that NPCs move into? I know there's Terraria, and Fallout 4 has those elements, wondering what else out there lets you create a town and actually have NPCs live in it

A bit late to this, and it's not out yet (alpha is allegedly right around the corner), but I believe Outworlder will have this! http://playoutworlder.com

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

I really enjoyed Aerobiz for Genesis way back in the day, and suddenly have the itch to play some sort of relatively deep and more modern (newer, not necessarily setting) corporation simulator game.

Does this exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

concise posted:

I really enjoyed Aerobiz for Genesis way back in the day, and suddenly have the itch to play some sort of relatively deep and more modern (newer, not necessarily setting) corporation simulator game.

Does this exist?

Capitalism Labs