Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

John Murdoch posted:

I'm back with another bizarre request. Going all the way back to Super Mario Sunshine at the very least, something that I find tickles my brain is cleaning up goop. Unfortunately, SMS is about cleaning up goop for like 5% of its total gameplay. The next closest thing I can think of is Zerg creep (though I've never played Starcraft, just Zagara in Heroes of the Storm who uses that mechanic) where it's oddly satisfying to either paint the map purple or slowly un-paint it purple. Basically, abstract territory control. Are there any games out there that might scratch this highly specific itch?

What I'm not looking for:
- Checking off points of interest in an open world game or any other general open world OCD checklist kind of thing.
- Games about cleaning up in general. IE, House Flipper has the cleaning aspect but it's not in the form of one big omni-blob of mess.
- Despite the thematic similarity, not any kind of map-painting grand strategy game.

The Creeper World games are an obvious answer, but I'm hoping for something a little more casual. See also: They Are Billions and Infested Planet. Honestly coloring games may do, but ideally I'd want something with a bit of gameplay, whatever that ultimately entails. I don't think the De Blob games are quite what I'm looking for, but I don't know a lot about them either.

Though contrary to the above maybe the answer is The Saboteur with its re-colorfying France motif....
e: misread your list of nos as a list of requirements :v:

https://vfqd.itch.io/terra-nil sounds right up your alley

e2: also you should really look into learning Go

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Ooh, I've heard of that one before but I would've never thought of it on my own. Thanks! Relatedly, that "reclaim abandoned junk with pretty plants" game might work too.

Edit: I actually did think about learning Go for a hot minute, but gave up pretty quickly. :v: Othello is more my speed.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

John Murdoch posted:

Ooh, I've heard of that one before but I would've never thought of it on my own. Thanks! Relatedly, that "reclaim abandoned junk with pretty plants" game might work too.

Edit: I actually did think about learning Go for a hot minute, but gave up pretty quickly. :v: Othello is more my speed.
I was torn between recommending go or othello :v: Check out an old game called hexxagon (two xs). Tell me more about this junk game

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm familiar with Hexxagon too. :D Though really the whole competitive board game thing isn't quite the right fit or feel.

Had to quickly refresh myself on what the heck it was called, but I was thinking of Cloud Gardens.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Splatoon is a multi-player "shooter" with this concept as the main mechanic. Also MAYBE Viscera Cleanup Detail.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

John Murdoch posted:

I'm familiar with Hexxagon too. :D Though really the whole competitive board game thing isn't quite the right fit or feel.

Had to quickly refresh myself on what the heck it was called, but I was thinking of Cloud Gardens.
Oh this is a buy

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My first thought was Mushroom 11, which has some conceptual resemblance in the mechanics, although it's not really what you're asking for.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I'm looking for a traditional roguelike with an interesting loot/equipment system. Instead of boring sword, sword +1, axe, axe +2, it would have stuff that actually changes the abilities of the player and the flow of the game.

Basically DCSS with the same hooks as late-game Diablo 2/3 or the interesting parts of Borderlands.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

I'm looking for a traditional roguelike with an interesting loot/equipment system. Instead of boring sword, sword +1, axe, axe +2, it would have stuff that actually changes the abilities of the player and the flow of the game.

Basically DCSS with the same hooks as late-game Diablo 2/3 or the interesting parts of Borderlands.

Cogmind has an interesting loot system of cobbling together robot parts from defeated enemies

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Manager Hoyden posted:

TOME 4
https://te4.org/

Many items give extra abilities and I wouldn't call the loot or upgrades boring. Don't expect items that radically change the flow of the game, but do expect to spend time thinking about your items and changing build priorities depending on what you find.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

The Guild of Dungeoneering. It's a deckbuilder where the items you pick up add cards to your deck that might have new ability cards, might have a better balance of hard-hitting cards than your current item, and some items may even clog up your deck with worthless trash as a price for your heavy-hitting.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

It's this op

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Ok, I've seen several posters around here mention Troubleshooter as a neat game. It's sort of like a nu-XCOM turn based tactical game? But with unique characters, not generics. And some degree of janky crafting stuff? And it's really long? But still in development? Plus with a JRPG sort flavor? Anyway, if someone who's played it could give a full review/rundown I'd be really grateful, I'm interested but want to know more before buying.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Smiling Knight posted:

Ok, I've seen several posters around here mention Troubleshooter as a neat game. It's sort of like a nu-XCOM turn based tactical game? But with unique characters, not generics. And some degree of janky crafting stuff? And it's really long? But still in development? Plus with a JRPG sort flavor? Anyway, if someone who's played it could give a full review/rundown I'd be really grateful, I'm interested but want to know more before buying.

Yeah it's extremely good.

There's a thread with more info/discussion:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3924497

The crafting is something you can very easily ignore.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

I'm back with another bizarre request. Going all the way back to Super Mario Sunshine at the very least, something that I find tickles my brain is cleaning up goop. Unfortunately, SMS is about cleaning up goop for like 5% of its total gameplay. The next closest thing I can think of is Zerg creep (though I've never played Starcraft, just Zagara in Heroes of the Storm who uses that mechanic) where it's oddly satisfying to either paint the map purple or slowly un-paint it purple. Basically, abstract territory control. Are there any games out there that might scratch this highly specific itch?

- Checking off points of interest in an open world game or any other general open world OCD checklist kind of thing.
- Games about cleaning up in general. IE, House Flipper has the cleaning aspect but it's not in the form of one big omni-blob of mess.
- Despite the thematic similarity, not any kind of map-painting grand strategy game.

The Creeper World games are an obvious answer, but I'm hoping for something a little more casual. See also: They Are Billions and Infested Planet. Honestly coloring games may do, but ideally I'd want something with a bit of gameplay, whatever that ultimately entails. I don't think the De Blob games are quite what I'm looking for, but I don't know a lot about them either.

Though contrary to the above maybe the answer is The Saboteur with its re-colorfying France motif....
Haven seems to have a bit of this, de Blob is... kind of the opposite but might scratch the same itch?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

John Murdoch posted:

Bit of a long shot, it's not really painting the map so much as becoming a larger and larger part of it, but have you heard of Osmos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hftJD4Yt_Dk

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

John Murdoch posted:

Have you played the Blightfall mod for Minecraft? It's exactly what you're wanting.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Natural Selection 2 is basically a competitive goop-spreading vs. goop-cleaning match, especially if StarCraft counts but you don't feel like an RTS for whatever reason.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Any games like Ori and the Will of the Wisps / Breath of the Wild that show your progression in a stylized way on a loading or pause screen?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

nachos posted:

Any games like Ori and the Will of the Wisps / Breath of the Wild that show your progression in a stylized way on a loading or pause screen?

Witcher 3?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yakuza 7 has pixel sprites of all your party members in the bottom right of the loading screen, kind of like the divine beasts.

It also comes with a different background image per chapter.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Boz0r posted:

I'm looking for a good noir style adventure that isn't Grim Fandango or Disco Elysium.

Gemeni Rue is a pretty decent point and click noir/mystery adventure with a great narrative. It's not Disco but then nothing is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh2YYDcfT1Y
it's not that long, I think ~5ish hours?

double nine fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 23, 2021

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I'm looking for a kind of sandbox game where I can have a bunch of dudes who level up and maybe I have a home base or something. But not a base-builder or survival game like, say, Rimworld and such.

Something along the lines of:

Battle Brothers
X-Com / Xenonauts
Mount and Blade

Someone suggested Battle for Wesnoth, a game I've attempted to enjoy about once a year since the year 2000 or something. I just can't get into it.

Tactics games aren't specificallywhat I'm looking for, but they often scratch the itch. But I've already played:

Final Fantasy Tactics / Advace / A2
Ogre Battle
Disgaea
Fell Seal

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Depending on how wide a net you’re casting gameplay-wise, your post immediately brought Metal Gear Solid 5 to mind

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

credburn posted:

Ogre Battle
Disgaea
Fell Seal
Shining Force 1 and 2? Basically the same genre as these, but simpler since they were on the Sega Genesis.

Alternatively, since you mentioned XCOM, Battletech sounds right up your alley, as long as you don't mind some fairly deep character/mech customization. The turn-based tactics one by Harebrained Schemes about running a mercenary company, not the online shooter.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 25, 2021

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

PMush Perfect posted:

Alternatively, since you mentioned XCOM, Battletech sounds right up your alley, as long as you don't mind some fairly deep character/mech customization. The turn-based tactics one by Harebrained Schemes about running a mercenary company, not the online shooter.

Ohh actually, I did buy Battletech when it came out, but holy poo poo the loading times were incredible. I saw people complain about the loading times, but most people said they were comparable to XCom 2's, but I don't know. Not for me. The loading times made the game unplayable for me. But the last time I played was like the first week it came out. Has the loading time thing been improved at all?

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Depending on how wide a net you’re casting gameplay-wise, your post immediately brought Metal Gear Solid 5 to mind

Metal Gear Solid 5 is actually kind of perfect for what I'm talking about, but I have played that through and through.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I don't remember loading times as a particular problem for me, but the game has been patched massively since then so give it a shot.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

They've done a lot of patching and bugfixes on the game since it came out yeah. At present, BTech's load times are... not insignificant, but considering that they only happen at the start and end of missions (and rarely take more than a minute or two at most), I don't mind it that much. If you already own it, though, you might as well try it and decide for yourself.

Edit: I'm also a habitual phone-checker, so the pre-mission loading screen is a great time to do that. (Or get up to pee, or grab water, or...)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 25, 2021

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Have you tried Urtuk: The Desolation, For The King, and Faeria: Chronicles of Cagana?
You said isometric tactical game play right
Warborn Wargroove Convoy Into The Breach
Legend of Keeper

Sjs00 fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 25, 2021

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

credburn posted:

I'm looking for a kind of sandbox game where I can have a bunch of dudes who level up and maybe I have a home base or something. But not a base-builder or survival game like, say, Rimworld and such.

Battle Brothers
X-Com / Xenonauts
Mount and Blade

Someone suggested Battle for Wesnoth, a game I've attempted to enjoy about once a year since the year 2000 or something. I just can't get into it.

Tactics games aren't specificallywhat I'm looking for, but they often scratch the itch. But I've already played:

Ogre Battle
Disgaea
Fell Seal

Horizon's Gate might work for you.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Sjs00 posted:

Have you tried Urtuk: The Desolation, For The King, and Faeria: Chronicles of Cagana?
You said isometric tactical game play right
Warborn Wargroove Convoy Into The Breach
Legend of Keeper

Have not done any of those but Convoy and Wargroove. Thanks for these, I'll add them to the list!

McFrugal posted:

Horizon's Gate might work for you.

Never heard of it but I'll look into it!

PMush Perfect posted:

they only happen at the start and end of missions (and rarely take more than a minute or two at most)

Err, okay, but let's say you're a save scummer who loves these games but kinda sucks at them and reloads often. Do I have to stare at that loading screen every time I rage-quickload?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

credburn posted:

Err, okay, but let's say you're a save scummer who loves these games but kinda sucks at them and reloads often. Do I have to stare at that loading screen every time I rage-quickload?
IIRC, quicksaves/quickloads are still kinda buggy. It'd be a great opportunity for trying a game where that isn't quite an option, but if it's a dealbreaker, then yeah, might be better to avoid it.

Though in that case I also reiterate my recommendation of Shining Force. Saaave staaaaates!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

credburn posted:

Battle Brothers
X-Com / Xenonauts
Mount and Blade

Starsector is basically Mount and Blade in space, and a really good game in its own right.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

credburn posted:

Battle Brothers
X-Com / Xenonauts
Mount and Blade

Ogre Battle
Disgaea
Fell Seal

Completely left field but have a look at football, tactics & glory. https://store.steampowered.com/app/375530/Football_Tactics__Glory/

I'm not at all a soccer fan but this game feels more like xcom meets chess with a soccer theme rather than an actual sports game.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

credburn posted:

Battle Brothers
X-Com / Xenonauts
Mount and Blade

Ogre Battle
Disgaea
Fell Seal

Have you played Jagged Alliance 2?

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

Completely left field but have a look at football, tactics & glory. https://store.steampowered.com/app/375530/Football_Tactics__Glory/

I'm not at all a soccer fan but this game feels more like xcom meets chess with a soccer theme rather than an actual sports game.

Seconding this, it's a really good game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

credburn posted:

Battle Brothers
X-Com / Xenonauts
Mount and Blade

Ogre Battle
Disgaea
Fell Seal

Troubleshooter, maybe

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Darkest Dungeon?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Similarly if you really loved xcom and want more of that, try xenonauts. It's kinda between old xcom and new xcom. Also hilarious that when it comes down to it, the greatest danger Earth presents to alien invaders is snatch teams with riot shields and batons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

credburn posted:

Battle Brothers
X-Com / Xenonauts
Mount and Blade

Ogre Battle
Disgaea
Fell Seal
Zombasite