Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The CoQ roadmap has it going to full release in "early 2022" which is why I've been holding off on it: https://www.cavesofqud.com/roadmap/.

Sounds like they're on track with the UI and other roadmap features from ^^^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oddly, I bought and played it just a month or so ago. I'm not entirely new to Rogue Likes, I used to play a lot of ADOM, so it was less"I have no clue at all how this keyboard centric ASCII graphics dungeon crawler works" and more that all three characters I made died in their first fight and I said "I'll try this again when I feel like reading a wiki or finding the SA thread".

If it "releases" that soon though, maybe I'll try Avernum again first and wait...

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Oddly, I bought and played it just a month or so ago. I'm not entirely new to Rogue Likes, I used to play a lot of ADOM, so it was less"I have no clue at all how this keyboard centric ASCII graphics dungeon crawler works" and more that all three characters I made died in their first fight and I said "I'll try this again when I feel like reading a wiki or finding the SA thread".

If it "releases" that soon though, maybe I'll try Avernum again first and wait...

The games mechanics heavily penalize low AV due to the way damage penetration works. For a first character try something that starts with heavy armor, or try to evade melee until you steal a few upgrades.

Thats really the first hurdle of the game. You'll be at your leisure to explore a lot more after armoring up.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

SlyFrog posted:

Looking for a co-op game that is actually a game (i.e. things to beat, victory conditions, progress) to play with my SO and young adult daughter remotely (so it has to allow three players at least). One issue is that SO isn't very experienced with games, so anything really fast paced or clicky wouldn't be good (so like probably RTS comp stomps would be out - it would be too much to manage multiple units, etc.).

I know I'm being picky, but I'm not looking for something that is basically just an aimless builder like Minecraft.

I was thinking about Don't Starve Together (which I've actually played with both of them separately), but I think it's a bit much for SO - the constant time pressure (you basically need to constantly be collecting resources or, surprise, starve or otherwise get killed) is a bit too much right now. Also thought about Valheim, but it's a bit janky, and I'm not sure how well she would handle the first person stuff.

Was thinking about a Terraria server, but kind of wanted some other options.

This site lists all kinds of co-op games: https://www.co-optimus.com/system/4/pc.html. Tt has an unfortunately generous definition of co-op, but it's worth a trawl through.

I'd recommend https://store.steampowered.com/app/252110/Lovers_in_a_Dangerous_Spacetime/ but it's local co-op only.

Factorio/Satisfactory are fairly family friendly although in both cases fighting the aliens may be an issue. Factorio has a peaceful mode which prevents the aliens from attacking.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've come to realize that, even though I hate walking simulators, all of my favorite games are basically walking simulators an added layer of "real gameplay" on top of them. At the absolute top are the older Bethesda games, particularly Morrowind.

i feel that. i'd kill for a game where combat was deep and involved and rare. like give me a wandering samurai simulator or something

obviously the combination is unlikely because nobody wants to work on a game system and then limit the player's access to it, it's a waste of time, effort, and money, but there's a difference between efficiency and whether an idea is fun at all. i've had an absolute blast wandering around the Zone in STALKER even though that's like 90% wandering around listening for audio cues and occasionally sniping a bandit, for example

Morrowind seems like most people's touchstone for this sort of thing but personally I don't enjoy the combat in any Bethesda game, even the older ones. the game's systems are fascinating but the moment-to-moment experience of playing it is miserable, and the newer games make only slight improvements to the play experience in exchange for surgical removal of even the faintest hint of complexity.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Outer Wilds

This isn't really specific to Jack B Nimble's request, it's missing the fighting and looting parts, but nevertheless,

Outer Wilds

Outer Wilds is a "walking simulator" the way Bloodline Champions is a MOBA; a one-of-a-kind perfect game that is frankly sullied by the comparison, but we just don't even have the vocabulary to do it justice in shorthand otherwise.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Outer Wilds is a "walking simulator" the way Bloodline Champions is a MOBA; a one-of-a-kind perfect game that is frankly sullied by the comparison, but we just don't even have the vocabulary to do it justice in shorthand otherwise.

the vocabulary, or frankly even the ability to go to bat for the goddamn game, because nearly anything enticing one can say about it is also a spoiler; so I'll take any opportunity to kramer in and recommend it where i can get them

(personally i think it's an Important Game deserving of the capital letters, and it's a shame it's not massively more popular than it is)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 2, 2021

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

the vocabulary, or frankly even the ability to go to bat for the goddamn game, because nearly anything enticing one can say about it is also a spoiler; so I'll take any opportunity to kramer in and recommend it where i can get them

Yeah, it’s in the most irritating of genres.

“This game is great!”

“Why?”

“Ooo I can’t tell you!”

And if folks end up not liking the surprise they resent it for wasting their time trying to see what the big deal was. I’ve had that go both ways.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

the only thing i've been able to come up with is something like

"it's a game that does what so few other games do, which is to tell its tale in a way that cannot be done in any other form of media"

but i don't think that's great ad copy, as it were :v:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I've settled for calling it a puzzle-box game or a big mechanical toy to spin and prod at. I know "puzzle" can be off-putting (I'm not really a fan of pure puzzle games tbh) but it's the best way to describe it I can think of. I think walking sim does a disservice to how many mechanics you have to engage and play about with, it might be mostly relaxed and have no combat but it's a game that engages you in a variety of ways pretty constantly.

Depending on who I talk to I also compare it to the Room games or Hitman.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

"It's Groundhog Day in Space and you have to figure out why" is all you really need to say about it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I've settled for calling it a puzzle-box game or a big mechanical toy to spin and prod at. I know "puzzle" can be off-putting (I'm not really a fan of pure puzzle games tbh) but it's the best way to describe it I can think of. I think walking sim does a disservice to how many mechanics you have to engage and play about with, it might be mostly relaxed and have no combat but it's a game that engages you in a variety of ways pretty constantly.

Depending on who I talk to I also compare it to the Room games or Hitman.

It's the game Myst dreamed of being.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've come to realize that, even though I hate walking simulators, all of my favorite games are basically walking simulators an added layer of "real gameplay" on top of them. At the absolute top are the older Bethesda games, particularly Morrowind.

Is there anything in the indie space, maybe on Itch.io, that is like a Daggerfall or Morrowind? I'm talking open ended exploration with a strong loop of 1) Explore 2) Fight 3) Loot 4) Return to town, but with that Bethesda style that's almost like an immersive sim, with a robust set of systems and economies?

As a counter point, Battle Brothers certainly has the elements of being open ended, and a loop of fighting and looting and fighting again, but I'm looking for something that can also be almost a walking simulator?

For the purposes of this recommendation, I wouldn't turn down something that was third person, sprite based, etc; it doesn't need to be a 3d FPS to quality. Hit me with anything you think is halfway right and even if I don't think it's quite what I want maybe my responses will help further define what I'm looking for.

Neo Scavenger

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Is there a good chess game that will teach me to be better at chess while i play? Preferably one on steam but thats not a necessity

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

An old version of Chessmaster 10 or whatever version of Fritz is the most reasonably priced? Been a long time since I looked at chess games.

I remember Fritz had a nice training mode where it would deliberately blunder and even flash a red light to prompt you to look for and exploit it. A serious player wouldn’t count on opponents blundering but it’s nice for a casual player. Both Chessmaster and Fritz were pretty good at playing to my very low skill level, I frequently won or lost by a narrow margin unless I was being sloppy.

And of course both would analyze games after the fact.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Kvlt! posted:

Is there a good chess game that will teach me to be better at chess while i play? Preferably one on steam but thats not a necessity

I'd consider just making an account on lichess.org or chess.com, both are full of various tutorials and training modes.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I'm looking for more squad based tactics games where your teamcomposition changes over time in a good way.

Two examples:
- Gloomhaven: your mercenaries have a personal quest, once they fullfil it they retire. You're rewarded for making them retire, even though afterwards you'll have to replace them with a less powerful new mercenary. It's encouraged to bring different heroes to different missions depending on the enemies and location.
- Football, Tactics, Glory: your football players will retire once they reach a certain age. In addition you can sell them for profit. Often you'll replace a good footballer with a less good and younger footballer that has more potential. It's encouraged to bring different footballers to different matches depending on the enemy team, injuries and fatigue.

Are there any other tactical games where your team composition really changes over time (even if you play perfectly and nobody dies) and the strength of your team does not always increase?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Walh Hara posted:

I'm looking for more squad based tactics games where your teamcomposition changes over time in a good way.

Two examples:
- Gloomhaven: your mercenaries have a personal quest, once they fullfil it they retire. You're rewarded for making them retire, even though afterwards you'll have to replace them with a less powerful new mercenary. It's encouraged to bring different heroes to different missions depending on the enemies and location.
- Football, Tactics, Glory: your football players will retire once they reach a certain age. In addition you can sell them for profit. Often you'll replace a good footballer with a less good and younger footballer that has more potential. It's encouraged to bring different footballers to different matches depending on the enemy team, injuries and fatigue.

Are there any other tactical games where your team composition really changes over time (even if you play perfectly and nobody dies) and the strength of your team does not always increase?

Wildermyth! Characters retire over time and by the end of a long campaign you'll probably have had your whole starting party either die or age into retirement and will need to continue with e.g. their children. There's the odd cool exception, in my recent campaign, my starting mage found an artifact that turned him into a lich (but still a lovely chap really) and he was with them up until the final battle, like a cool skeletal uncle training the kids up.

SetSliRol
Apr 30, 2021

"The power of the Marfalump idea is it's one, simple idea. It's not about Pepsi or Star Wars. It's about a character that loves both."
Might be a bit E/N but any Goons got reccs for games that helped them out of a rough time? Year's been pretty poo poo so far and I'd like to at least end it on a good note by trying something new. Anything that's not a game you're encouraged to play a lot (ie Animal Crossing) and you could go at your own pace with is a plus.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

SetSliRol posted:

Might be a bit E/N but any Goons got reccs for games that helped them out of a rough time? Year's been pretty poo poo so far and I'd like to at least end it on a good note by trying something new. Anything that's not a game you're encouraged to play a lot (ie Animal Crossing) and you could go at your own pace with is a plus.

Have you played Stardew Valley?

Is there a genre you’re looking for?

SetSliRol
Apr 30, 2021

"The power of the Marfalump idea is it's one, simple idea. It's not about Pepsi or Star Wars. It's about a character that loves both."

StrixNebulosa posted:

Have you played Stardew Valley?

Is there a genre you’re looking for?

Stardew has been sitting in my library for a bit and I was thinking of starting it up soon, thank you for reminding me :)

And not really. I feel like I played the same 3-4 games this year, all online FPS's, and I'm wanting to try something new out.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

SetSliRol posted:

Stardew has been sitting in my library for a bit and I was thinking of starting it up soon, thank you for reminding me :)

And not really. I feel like I played the same 3-4 games this year, all online FPS's, and I'm wanting to try something new out.

Yeah Stardew is the answer.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SetSliRol posted:

Wandersong
Open Sorcery
Pyre

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Walh Hara posted:

Two examples:

Battle brothers?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

SetSliRol posted:

Here are some games where I junk sunk my teeth all the way in and lost entire afternoons/evenings:
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • They Are Billions (Survival Mode)
  • Subnautica
  • Stardew Valley
  • Snow Runner
  • No, I'm serious: Snow Runner
Edit: Real talk, I played a whole hell of a lot of Animal Crossing. Just saying.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

SetSliRol posted:

Might not be your cup of tea but Persona 4: Golden or Persona 5: Royal sink their teeth in you, and I found the cast of both games charming (on a personal level Persona 4: golden was a comforting, warm and fuzzy atmosphere that I really needed in my life when I played it). No FOMO due to daily logins or anything like that, either: you can put them down for weeks or months and pick right back up.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

SetSliRol posted:

Well, you haven't said what kinda games you like, so these are the best games I've played in the last year and a bit. Bonus: all of these games are $30 or less, most of them significantly less.

The Return of the Obra Dinn: A dark (figuratively and literally) first person narrative mystery deduction puzzle game about the fate of the crew of an ill fated sailing ship. It's loving terrific and I recommend it literally to everyone who will listen. In your specific situation, there is no "timing" element so to you can play at your own pace, but there is also something of a memory element to it, so you can't leave it for a month or something. Also, since it's got a limited shelf-life it's not exactly a comfort food game. This is just a suggestion for if you want to savor a very good game as a straightforward distraction, and dark themes won't upset you at this moment.

The Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy: A narrative puzzle game in the world of criminal defense. Somewhat similar to Obra Dinn in that it's a narrative detective logic game, except there's more like 60-80 hrs (or more if you suck like me), with a much more happy-go-lucky theme. It was a very good time; very funny and heartfelt while also over-the-top nuts at times. Not all the cases are winners, but they games are relentlessly charming with inventive and varied characters and villains.

Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling: A cutesy simple JRPG, with some in-combat QTEs that make it a little more skill-testing instead of purely tactical. Ever played Paper Mario? This game is basically that game except with lots of improvements. For instance, remember how Mario couldn't jump on enemies on the ceiling? Well, now you have one character who can kit flying enemies, one who can hit underground enemies, and one who must hit in the front like the Hammer attacks. They use this to much tactical consternation. The setting is interesting, the story is compelling and the characters are great. Not just the three main characters (yes there are only 3, but this is an improvement since they can all participate and have character moments), but every character you meet. Even nameless ants doing farm work find ways to be charming. There is so darn much dialog in this game, and I didn't skip basically any of it. The art is so frigging cute! There's also lots of side missions to do as sort of a bug version of Craigslist, but they mess with the fetch-quest formula a fair bit. Even if you remember even only slightly liking Paper Mario or TTYD, then you owe it to yourself to try this game. I got about 50 hours out of it and there is a fair amount of late content I didn't do.

Yakuza 0: A free-roaming beat-em-up, with two protagonists each with their own fighting styles. The fighting is satisfying but the game has so much more than that. First off, it's got a very silly melodramatic story about hard men making hard choices and crying hard tears, but I did sincerely enjoy it. Secondly, it's got some incredibly silly side-stories where our hardguy protagonists end up in incredibly silly and charming situations. Thirdly, it's got like a million mini games. You can play pool and darts and shoji and poker and baccarat and go to the batting cages and play classic Sega arcade games. And those are just the ones that I think it's fine to spoil. There are dozens of others. I got about 90 hours out of it, and had a great time. If you want something to fill time forever, this one game is like fifty games if you want it to be.

Dicey Dungeons: A dicerolling, cardbuilding roguelike game where contestants are trying to battle through a game show set up by Lady Luck herself. Each turn you roll dice, and those dice get slotted into your equipment to do things. For instance, you put a 6 into your sword to do its value in damage but they get much more complicated. The monsters also have dice and equipment to do the same thing, and the goal is to survive, as you do not heal between battles. You need to beat one of the bosses to have a chance to win what your heart desires. It is gorgeous visually and the soundtrack fukken slaaaaaaps. It feels like a lighter, more random game than something like Slay The Spire, but that doesn't mean it's easy. Some of the challenges are positively brutal. I got about 50 hours out of it, and it was a great time.

Hades: I have to imagine this game needs no introduction. Believe the hype. This game loving kicks rear end. I personally only played for 50 hours because I am King Scrub, but this game is something you can pick up, put down, and play for a very long time.

Also, yeah, Stardew Valley is incredible. I have 270 hours in it, but that comes from three separate playthroughs of 90 hours each. The only very minor caveat I would say is that because time keeps ticking in game, I sometimes felt under a slight time pressure to do things, which might work against your desire to play at your own pace. However, each day is only about 13-15 minutes long, so you may be able to avoid that. If you already own it, play that.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

chainchompz posted:

Battle brothers?

BB is a game entirely around increasing the strength of your team to fight harder poo poo

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

SetSliRol posted:

If you haven't played the following games yet, please do, they're really really good and will make you feel good for different reasons:

If you want something that's simultaneously light-hearted and emotionally heavy (in a good way) go play the Outer Wilds. Probably the best game released in this decade. I don't wanna spoil anything, but it's a time-loop detective game with no permanent stakes (you play the timeloop over and over) while trying to figure out what's going on with this timeloop, exploring this miniature solar system with weird-rear end planets. Already played it? Maybe you missed the recently released DLC! It's excellent and well worth playing, it integrates really well into the story. Tip: play the DLC before you end the main game, but after you've figured out most of the plot to get the most out of it.

Slay the Spire is an amazing roguelike card game. It's super well designed and if it clicks for you there's hundreds of hours of fun to be had. Really good to lose yourself into.

Factorio is probably the best 'build an automated factory' game out there. Extremely polished, and ''finishing'' the game (launching a rocket) will take you like 50 hours filled with really fun building. If it gets it hooks into you it will truly make you lose track of time. If you want to optimize your factory and get into mods, well, that's your gaming time filled up for the coming year or so.

If you like tactical turn-based combat, XCOM 2 is so so so good. Especially with the War of the Chosen add-on and some mods slapped on, it's just amazing. Even if you've already done a run of this game, find some mods and play it again.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Wildermyth! Characters retire over time and by the end of a long campaign you'll probably have had your whole starting party either die or age into retirement and will need to continue with e.g. their children. There's the odd cool exception, in my recent campaign, my starting mage found an artifact that turned him into a lich (but still a lovely chap really) and he was with them up until the final battle, like a cool skeletal uncle training the kids up.

I guess I really need to give this another chance! I already have it but never really got around to playing it beyond part of the tutorial campaign. Tbh, I didn't realise it had this mechanic as well.

chainchompz posted:

Battle brothers?

Oh, I have 200 hours in battle brothers. It kinda fits as well indeed, since you might want to replace your lvl 11 farmer with a level 3 sellsword at some point, but that's honestly kinda niche/late game. Either way, certainly a good suggestion.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

SetSliRol posted:

Astroneer and Satisfactory. Phone posting, apologies for lack of detail but they are both on Steam.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

SetSliRol posted:

Celeste is a super hard game, but also a game that really wants you to succeed. It has the best design I've seen in a precision platformer, bar none.

Okami is a good game for running around mythical Japan and helping people. It's longer than it really needs to be, but if you're enjoying yourself, that shouldn't be a problem.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

SetSliRol posted:

Subnautica was like that for me. Underwater sci fi game where you're crash landed on a planet and trying to get back off world. Perfect for just straight up chilling. Even the hazards are not all that scary once you learn how to work around them.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Yakuza series is bizarrely wholesome and fun. Definitely recommended if you're a little down and need a (small but detailed) world to explore. Yakuza 0 is probably the best place to start, but Like A Dragon works too.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Are there any games on PC where you can just hang out and look at some dinosaurs? My 3 year old is fully in the grasp of dinomania and loves Walking with Dinosaurs and stuff like that, but I think he'd like something we can set the pace of a bit more.

We've tried creative mode on No Man's Sky which he likes a lot so something like that with actual dinosaurs instead of procedurally generated monstrosities that sometimes look like dinosaurs would be ideal. No player violence - dino on dino action is fine but the player should be a passive observer as much as possible.

I'm fine with older games / emulation if need be, although controller support is preferred as I'd probably be streaming it to the big TV.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Party Boat posted:

Are there any games on PC where you can just hang out and look at some dinosaurs? My 3 year old is fully in the grasp of dinomania and loves Walking with Dinosaurs and stuff like that, but I think he'd like something we can set the pace of a bit more.

We've tried creative mode on No Man's Sky which he likes a lot so something like that with actual dinosaurs instead of procedurally generated monstrosities that sometimes look like dinosaurs would be ideal. No player violence - dino on dino action is fine but the player should be a passive observer as much as possible.

I'm fine with older games / emulation if need be, although controller support is preferred as I'd probably be streaming it to the big TV.

This might be possible on modded / creative mode Ark.

Jurassic World Evolution has a mode where you can drive jeeps in first person into the dino enclosures to look at 'em, but that might not be indepth enough.

And then there's The Isle which advertises this:

quote:

However, sometimes you don't want to struggle to survive, or you don't have the time to go through a dinosaur's whole life story. And that's okay. For players who want a less intense experience, Sandbox mode lets you play an expanded roster of dinosaurs (and soon humans!). You can jump right in as an adult super predator or a peaceful giant, with no major penalties or consequences from dying. We won't judge.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Oh cool, I think I might have that (Ark) as an Epic freebie. Thinking about it I'm pretty sure I also have Jurassic World Evolution which might be another good candidate

edit: The Isle sounds interesting but given the focus is horror I might have to check out some gameplay videos to make sure the presentation of it is toddler-appropriate in sandbox mode. Thanks for the recommendations!

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 7, 2021

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Party Boat posted:

edit: The Isle sounds interesting but given the focus is horror I might have to check out some gameplay videos to make sure the presentation of it is toddler-appropriate in sandbox mode. Thanks for the recommendations!

The focus isn't horror at all. It's just open world dinosaur stuff. The worst it gets is dinosaurs vaguely attacking in the direction of other dinosaurs and maybe they start bleeding, and carnivores doing an eating animation over the dead body of a dinosaur. Even then, you can simply choose to play as an herbivore and just kinda exist munching on plants.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Ah, I just went off the description on Steam which called it a "gritty, open-world survival horror game". I'll tinker with the ones I have for now and keep it as a backup option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Not dinosaurs but what about like, Pokemon snap?