Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Manager Hoyden posted:

I just finished Blasphemous and now I'm looking for a new metroidvania with an emphasis on open exploration and world building to fill the void.

I've already played Hollow Knight, which was a perfect example of what I'm looking for. Ori didn't quite hit the mark I'm the same way. Is there anything out there that I may have missed?

Grime and Ender Lilies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Iron Danger is a real-time with pause rpg with only 2 protagonists and that uses a rewind mechanic that allows each encounter to be played as a puzzle. If you don't try to position things well, you'll be killed over and over and won't win. If you treat it as being partially a puzzle game, you can win. If you put enough thought into it, you can beat encounters without taking a single hit. Last time I checked, there was a demo on Steam. I think it's a cool game, though it's not a sprawling 70-hour branching story with 10 playable characters and 15 classes or whatever. If indie scale is okay, and what you want is "crpg combat as puzzles" then you have my recommendation.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
I'd love a game that feels like Solstice from the NES. Preferably Roguelite but I'm interested in anything in that sort of isometric puzzle platformer vein.

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

Funktor posted:

I'd love a game that feels like Solstice from the NES. Preferably Roguelite but I'm interested in anything in that sort of isometric puzzle platformer vein.

Never played Solstice, but I'm gonna spew out some game names anyway:
Lumo
Fez
Echochrome
Etherborn
How about Adventures of Lolo on NES?
Into the Breach

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

Manager Hoyden posted:

I just finished Blasphemous and now I'm looking for a new metroidvania with an emphasis on open exploration and world building to fill the void.

I've already played Hollow Knight, which was a perfect example of what I'm looking for. Ori didn't quite hit the mark I'm the same way. Is there anything out there that I may have missed?

Maybe try Death’s Gambit. I enjoyed it enough despite some awkwardness but since I played they put out a complete overhaul patch that’s supposed to shore up a lot of my complaints and added a lot of content.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Funktor posted:

Not roguelite but the Monument Valley games and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker do the isometric puzzle platformer thing.

Have you played Equinox on the SNES? It's the sequel to Solstice, the theme tune doesn't rock nearly so hard though

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

Xanderkish posted:

What I want is a CRPG where each combat encounter is offering a distinct challenge. Sort of like a bloody puzzle. The closest things I can think of that come to this are Soulsborne games, but even they run into cut-and-paste territory.

Underrail definitely offers the "combat as a puzzle" feel, often to a frustrating (yet satisfying, eventually) degree. Every encounter plays out like a chess match, where the necessity for battlefield control is paramount. I just finished my second playthrough as a pure psionic and it was really fun.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the Megaman Battle Network games had more of the sense of having to figure out a puzzle with its fights, but that still has random encounters and occasions where you might have to grind.

Ironclad: Tactics also has a more strategic take on combat, and doesn't have random encounters, but since it works from deckbuilding, you might have to grind older missions to keep in fighting order.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Erwin the German posted:

Underrail definitely offers the "combat as a puzzle" feel, often to a frustrating (yet satisfying, eventually) degree. Every encounter plays out like a chess match, where the necessity for battlefield control is paramount. I just finished my second playthrough as a pure psionic and it was really fun.
Much as I love Underrail I would definitely say it has too much trash combat, especially in the last quarter

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
The story is ultra-light and it stretches the definition of RPG, but Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes is a tragically underrated puzzle game.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Much as I love Underrail I would definitely say it has too much trash combat, especially in the last quarter

The last part is Bad, I agree. The Expedition DLC is the high watermark for the game in terms of good writing, varied dungeons and interesting encounters.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I want to play some sort of "kill hordes of enemies with increasingly more and more ridiculous methods" game that ISN'T inspired by Diablo 2.

Like, Grim Dawn for example mostly fits the bill of what I am looking for but because it's based on Diablo 2 the progression in that game is just stacking numbers and the methods of murder stay the same. Path of Exile was slightly better but quickly reaches the same point as well.

Diablo 3 was exactly what I am looking for but it ran out of content ages ago.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

I want to play some sort of "kill hordes of enemies with increasingly more and more ridiculous methods" game that ISN'T inspired by Diablo 2.

Like, Grim Dawn for example mostly fits the bill of what I am looking for but because it's based on Diablo 2 the progression in that game is just stacking numbers and the methods of murder stay the same. Path of Exile was slightly better but quickly reaches the same point as well.

Earth Defense Force 5
The Riftbreaker

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

How do you feel about Musou/Warriors games? Pick whichever one is based on a franchise you like (Hyrule Warriors is the best imo) and go nuts

Grey Face
Mar 31, 2017
Looking for a good collectathon game. Guild Wars 2 and the Legacy of the Dragonborn skyrim mod have both scratched that itch in the past. I really like the aspect of going out into the world and finding secrets, so the ubisoft map objective thing doesn't do it for me.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Jack Trades posted:

EDF! EDF!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Grey Face posted:

Looking for a good collectathon game. Guild Wars 2 and the Legacy of the Dragonborn skyrim mod have both scratched that itch in the past. I really like the aspect of going out into the world and finding secrets, so the ubisoft map objective thing doesn't do it for me.

Most Ubisoft games have the option to turn off all map objectives and all HUD features so maybe they could still work?

I've been playing a bit of Demon Turf. It's kind of a collectathon but mostly a 3D platformer.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Grey Face posted:

This is a completely different kind of game so it's a long shot but have you played or heard of Neo ATLAS 1469 ? It's on sale for $6 on PC:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/532690/Neo_ATLAS_1469/

It's also (originally) on Switch and I think PS Vita maybe

It's a very divisive game and it's completely unique and unlike anything else, which makes it hard to describe - but the crux of it is that it's 1469 and you have been tasked with exploring the Earth. You send your captains on missions to sail off and the map is randomly generated loosely around real-life geography, but not identically - and on top of that when you send sailors off on an expedition and they return and tell you what they found you can either say "Yep, that sounds right" and it becomes a canon part of world geography or you can say "Hmm that doesn't sound right..." and they sail out again and come back with different results.

You don't do any of the sailing yourself and it's more like a trading company management game, but the core gameplay is all about exploring a slightly-familiar-but-not-quite-right world map and shaping the geography yourself and finding collectibles, valuable trade routes, new resources, etc. while fending off krakens and pirates (with very simplified, entirely abstracted, hands-off combat)

I loved this game and it's an incredibly unique experience, you're not exploring a 3d environment as an individual so I don't know if it's what you're looking for but it has the same elements.

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256726739/movie480.webm?t=1535075302

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Is there a good co-op FPS around right now? Over the years my friends and I have played the poo poo out of L4D, Payday, Killing Floor, Deep Rock Galactic, even Unloved.

Back 4 Blood sounds like it has lots of issues (and literally none of my friends are willing to buy it). None of us are interested in the setting/themes of Vermintide. We all tried the beta of GTFO and were underwhelmed.

The Anacrusis looks cool but who tf knows what that'll actually be out.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Basticle posted:

Is there a good co-op FPS around right now? Over the years my friends and I have played the poo poo out of L4D, Payday, Killing Floor, Deep Rock Galactic, even Unloved.

Back 4 Blood sounds like it has lots of issues (and literally none of my friends are willing to buy it). None of us are interested in the setting/themes of Vermintide. We all tried the beta of GTFO and were underwhelmed.

Deep Rock Galactic

e: I'm sorry, I can't read

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 30, 2021

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
When it comes to collection games I always fall back to Saints Row 2 and Just cause 2.
Both wide open worlds with a bunch of little items to collect.
CDs and graffiti in SR2 and armor/weapon/etc upgrades in JC2.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Basticle posted:

Back 4 Blood is on Gamepass which is running a "first 3 months for $1" deal right now. It's worth playing at that price for sure unless you're the type to play on the highest challenge-mode difficulty - that's the only place the problems really present themselves (it also has problems with poor post-release support and a dlc-based new content model).

Part of what I've had fun with in B4B is how little thought seemed to go into the cards system, you can make absurdly broken overpowered builds pretty easily and it's almost as if the game didn't expect that from you, so many card combos completely trivialize its biggest challenges that it has been fun figuring them out.

Gunfire Reborn is another top contender that just left Early Access and is very good. It has a thread with a very outdated OP here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3937414
It has some of the most creative and fun weapons I've seen in a FPS lately ranging from floating dragon familiars that breathe fire to bows that shoot exploding arrows to Tony Stark laserhands to pistol-shotguns to mortars that shoot short-range shotgun-style cluster bombs, and even katanas if you're into that kind of thing.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 30, 2021

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Basticle posted:

Vermintide is pretty fun if you are okay with swords instead of guns.

Honestly, I wish there were more co-op FPSes we often end up replaying Halo.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Basticle posted:

Have you tried the borderlands series? It's not mission based like the others you mentioned, but I've had a lot of fun running through them with friends.

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

Basticle posted:

I've heard good things about Aliens: Fireteam, though I haven't tried it myself.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

Gunfire Reborn is another top contender that just left Early Access and is very good. It has a thread with a very outdated OP here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3937414
It has some of the most creative and fun weapons I've seen in a FPS lately ranging from floating dragon familiars that breathe fire to bows that shoot exploding arrows to Tony Stark laserhands to pistol-shotguns to mortars that shoot short-range shotgun-style cluster bombs, and even katanas if you're into that kind of thing.

this looks cool, I'll check it out, thank you

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

pissinthewind posted:

I've heard good things about Aliens: Fireteam, though I haven't tried it myself.

Buggy enough i wouldnt recommend it but still very enjoyable

Sealcub
Sep 11, 2008
I didn't see this thread when I asked a similar question in the PS4 thread, but I figure maybe it's worth a shot here.

I am someone who only has time to play casually. When I was younger, in rough chronological order, some of my favorite titles I have ever played were Mario games, Pilotwings (SNES), the first couple Pokemon generations, Crash Bandicoot, Jet Moto, Warcraft III, WoW, LOTR: TTT/ROTK (PS2), Halo 1-3, Call of Duty 2, CoD: Modern Warfare 1 & 2, among others.

I really like the FIFA series (well, tbf I love soccer/football, EA simply don't have enough competition, but the game has come a long way) and that's pretty much why I got a PS4 for my competitive fix, but the game has become so focused on meta and has a lot of toxic elements.

I have played more recent games like Sekiro, Bloodborne, Nier Automata, Far Cry Primal, God of War, Apex Legends, and HZD. I couldn't really get far into any of those for one reason or another even if they were fun in their own ways I lost interest or wasn't able to git gud enough in time to not be frustrated (I liked sekiro/bloodborne mechanics I just could not be bothered to progress past certain points as I kept having to respawn).

I really really enjoyed The Last of Us II - it was a mix of seamless mechanics, scalable difficulty, and a compelling story. I am working through Cyberpunk 2077 now, and I find it enjoyable but mostly for the story and immersion, the actual combat is kind of stiff/rigid and I probably am not gonna NG+ it.

I'm looking at picking up next any one of Ghost of Tsushima, Nioh 2, Uncharted, Fenyx Rising, RDR2/Red Dead Online, roughly in that order of interest to me, but I am open to others and would welcome any potential recommendations.

Sealcub fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 30, 2021

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
You just have a PS4 then? Because honestly there's a decent number of Nintendo games that I feel would probably fit (Odyssey, for example). Maybe they're not as strong on story, but they often have excellent mechanics, and don't require amazing skill or a big grind.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Sealcub posted:

I didn't see this thread when I asked a similar question in the PS4 thread, but I figure maybe it's worth a shot here.

I am someone who only has time to play casually. When I was younger, in rough chronological order, some of my favorite titles I have ever played were Mario games, Pilotwings (SNES), the first couple Pokemon generations, Crash Bandicoot, Jet Moto, Warcraft III, WoW, LOTR: TTT/ROTK (PS2), Halo 1-3, Call of Duty 2, CoD: Modern Warfare 1 & 2, among others.

I really like the FIFA series (well, tbf I love soccer/football, EA simply don't have enough competition, but the game has come a long way) and that's pretty much why I got a PS4 for my competitive fix, but the game has become so focused on meta and has a lot of toxic elements.

I have played more recent games like Sekiro, Bloodborne, Nier Automata, Far Cry Primal, God of War, Apex Legends, and HZD. I couldn't really get far into any of those for one reason or another even if they were fun in their own ways I lost interest or wasn't able to git gud enough in time to not be frustrated (I liked sekiro/bloodborne mechanics I just could not be bothered to progress past certain points as I kept having to respawn).

I really really enjoyed The Last of Us II - it was a mix of seamless mechanics, scalable difficulty, and a compelling story. I am working through Cyberpunk 2077 now, and I find it enjoyable but mostly for the story and immersion, the actual combat is kind of stiff/rigid and I probably am not gonna NG+ it.

I'm looking at picking up next any one of Ghost of Tsushima, Nioh 2, Uncharted, Fenyx Rising, RDR2/Red Dead Online, roughly in that order of interest to me, but I am open to others and would welcome any potential recommendations.

It sounds like the Uncharted games are gonna be perfect for you

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Yeah Uncharted and Fenyx Rising sound like pretty good fits, same with Tsushima. Although I wasn't quite interested enough to finish Fenyx Rising I keep promising myself I'll come back to it. I'd probably skip Nioh 2 if you found Sekiro annoying.

I might also add AC Valhalla/Odyssey/Origins or Far Cry 6, FC has better gameplay while AC the better story.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Play posted:

Yeah Uncharted and Fenyx Rising sound like pretty good fits, same with Tsushima. Although I wasn't quite interested enough to finish Fenyx Rising I keep promising myself I'll come back to it. I'd probably skip Nioh 2 if you found Sekiro annoying.

I might also add AC Valhalla/Odyssey/Origins or Far Cry 6, FC has better gameplay while AC the better story.

I really liked AC Odyssey, I thought it was the best of the third-person Ubisoft games I have played for quite a while. It definitely has the "huge map with a million things to do" Ubisoft thing, but I think it makes it all a lot more interesting and fun and less like boring chores than some of the grindier Ubisoft games do.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sealcub posted:

I'm going to say skip Nioh 2. It's a very intense game and asks more of the player than Sekiro, Bloodborne etc do - if I stop playing for more than a few days I feel like I have to relearn half the obscure mechanics and tools from scratch and spend extensive time in menus and sub-menus tweaking my stats and equipment. Then hours later I realise I'd forgotten about e.g. the weird online clan battle mini game that's been running in the background and I forgot to get my Glory points for the week from it and, uh, I actually can't remember what those do, which I think illustrates what I'm getting at.

.This isn't a criticism of it but it's absolutely tailor made for people who'll play it for dozens and dozens of hours to get the most out of it

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 1, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sealcub posted:

The Uncharted series might be the best out of those options, since it's not that complicated to learn the skills for, and more importantly, you won't totally forget how the mechanics work and have to noodle around to re-learn things after not playing for a long time like other games with more complicated or offbeat mechanics. It also provides a more structured experience to keep you engaged.

RDR2 I'ver heard a whole lot about how it is a very, very long, so that's a lot of play time, but it's also a lot of time to lose track of what you were doing between plays, so I'd recommend playing RDR1 first if you can, since it's not renowned for having one of the largest, sprawling open worlds of all time, and I feel like it's just a really great game with a great story and ambience.

I think from some of the games you've bounced off of, maybe you've been trying to get into Dark Souls and the games that followed in its wake, but you can't really put in the time to make the gameplay click, so maybe you'd like Jedi: Fallen Order? It has a more simplified take on that sort of combat with a difficulty toggle to help you choose the experience you want, and on top of that, the rest of the game is about immersing yourself into exploring environments of alien worlds, kinda like a third person Metroid Prime. Although the overall story isn't the best.

You might also like trying Batman: Arkham Asylum and getting into that line of action games. That also has its own take on the parry sort of combat and built a whole fluid fighting system that's pretty neat and easy to remember after not playing for a while. If you get the Arkham Collection then Asylum isn't that long, City's pretty good, and Arkham Knight is...okay with some problems, but if you've liked the rest of the series then you can probably see what's good about it. There's also the PS4 Spiderman game, which is heavily inspired by the Arkham games but also with webswinging around the entirety of Manhattan.

For shooters, I don't really know much, but the Metro series has some pretty good ambience and immersion, and it follows similar themes to Last of Us, in that there's a whole lot about how society has rebuilt itself after the apocalypse, and the apocalypse in Metro was way weirder than your average apocalypse, just like how the clickers are pretty different from average zombies. In fact, they're not too clear on what the apocalypse even was, but the best guess is that they somehow nuked hell.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Sealcub posted:

Emphasis mine

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm going to say skip Nioh 2. It's a very intense game and asks more of the player than Sekiro, Bloodborne etc do - if I stop playing for more than a few days I feel like I have to relearn half the obscure mechanics and tools from scratch and spend extensive time in menus and sub-menus tweaking my stats and equipment. Then hours later I realise I'd forgotten about e.g. the weird online clan battle mini game that's been running in the background and I forgot to get my Glory points for the week from it and, uh, I actually can't remember what those do, which I think illustrates what I'm getting at.

.This isn't a criticism of it but it's absolutely tailor made for people who'll play it for dozens and dozens of hours to get the most out of it

As much as I love Nioh and Nioh 2, not only am I going to say skip Nioh 2, I am going to stay the gently caress away from Nioh 2 based on what I bolded in your post there Sealcub. Nioh is not a Sekiro or Bloodborne type game. It's a Diablo clone with a veneer of ~soulsborne~ aesthetics and 3rd person action combat. At its heart, it is a loot pinata game with lots of stuff to manage. It has a shitload of depth for builds, but only after you've invested a shitload of time, and the other games in that list that you liked are generally much more invested in the first playthrough. That's not to say Nioh 2 doesn't have a decent enough story if you're into that kind of thing, but with what you said about games you like and don't like, steer clear of Nioh. I can confidently say I've put in over 500 hours between Nioh 1 and Nioh 2 and I am telling you, stay away from this series. I cannot stress this enough. These games will make you angry, and you will intensely regret your purchase.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 1, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

This is a fair assessment. Nioh 2 is the only one of the games on that list that I liked (and I really like it, a lot) but I don't like games that have a defined end point and I mostly play roguelikes, open-ended stuff, run-based games, etc. and Nioh fits really well into that niche. I appreciated that there was always a ton of stuff to do and tweak and that it never felt "over". I spent a ton of time in Nioh 1 in the infinitely scaling dungeon that was essentially like doing Greater Rifts in Diablo 3.

That being said, imo it's not a very difficult game past the first few levels because the power curve swings exponentially in the player's favor very, very quickly as soon as you learn that it has more in common with Diablo (be overly aggressive and massacre entire screens of enemies before they can react by charging in) than anything *souls (fight dangerous enemies one on one and give them time to swing at you so that you can avoid their swings). If it was the difficulty of Sekiro et. al and getting stuck in them that drove you off, that might not be a problem for you in Nioh. It does have some real bastards of boss fights though - which are thankfully mostly optional (dojo stuff).

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 1, 2021

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Basticle posted:

If you're ok with doing some older stuff, you could do the campaigns from games like Halo (the whole series is decent), Destiny 2, Borderlands, Gears of War (whole series again) or try some other co-op related genres?

Sanctum 2 is a Tower Defence FPS with 5 different characters, leveling, lots of weapons and perks, and the kind of stuff you might expect from that genre like an endless and hardcore mode. It supports 4 player coop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUam6IGvxO0&t=864s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgNaclx2wps&t=1153s

Painkiller: Hell and Damnation is an old school bunny-hopping horde shooter, but only 2 players.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuiRjw6vrXM

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Dec 1, 2021

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
So I'm in the mood for some factory/production thing but not as the main purpose of the game. My best comparison is using Rimworld Vanilla Expanded to make a factory that I have to keep fed while also managing my colonists and defending it, etc. I have no interest in Factorio at the moment or in Factory Town. Any recommendations? This is kind of frustratingly vague, I know.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Galick posted:

So I'm in the mood for some factory/production thing but not as the main purpose of the game. My best comparison is using Rimworld Vanilla Expanded to make a factory that I have to keep fed while also managing my colonists and defending it, etc. I have no interest in Factorio at the moment or in Factory Town. Any recommendations? This is kind of frustratingly vague, I know.

Maybe something like Banished, Tropico, or the Anno games? They don't involve a single factory but do involve setting up supply chains that are critical to your survival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Galick posted:

Graveyard Keeper? You can set up zombie production chains with the corpses you're otherwise getting paid to deal with