Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

EDITED UPDATE - I am pretty much done with my OP request now, having received many great suggestions to go on, so don't be afraid to hijack this thread for all your own personal game request needs! All the cool kids are doin' it.
-------

Sorry, got another one of these threads here, I couldn't find the previous generic Recommendation Thread. :( Someone really needs to make a sticky megathread or something, I'd start it myself if I thought anyone would use it.

Anyway, I'm looking for a good classic FPS RPG. I remember loving those things when I was a kid... they were like Doom 2 or Heretic, but you could talk to people! :aaa: Such realism was utterly mindblowing to me. I can't remember what any of them were, sadly, but they were pretty fun so I'd like some again. Older games obviously a preference, so go nuts, nostalgic nerds!

I'd also prefer single-character games since I hate having to manage a bunch of wankers instead of being able to immerse myself in one wanker, but I'll also consider a multi-char game if it's like, REALLY good, or if the characters actually have personality.

Might and Magic series seems a bit too 'fantasy' for me, with giant-boobed tavern wenches and many ugly character portraits cluttering up my nice clean interface, and I also remember World of Xeen being too hard for me. But again, if someone praises it highly enough I might give it a whirl.

I don't mind if it's grid-based instead of fully 3D. Something like Orcs And Elves would be perfect, actually.

edit: When I say classic or older games, what I mean is "something from around '95 or earlier'. poo poo I may have played when I was a kid, that used a lot of sprites and pixelly textures. SS2 or Vampire Masquerade, for example, are more recent and technologically advanced than I'm thinking of.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 9, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Arx Fatalis is basically the modern successor to Ultima Underworld. It's a good game but it's not old enough be to considered "classic".

Strife is a 3D FPS RPG hybrid based on the Doom engine.

And of course Deus Ex... but everyone should've played that by now.

All of these games are full action however, and most of them RPG lite.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

dishwasherlove posted:

Arx Fatalis is basically the modern successor to Ultima Underworld. It's a good game but it's not old enough be to considered "classic".

Strife is a 3D FPS RPG hybrid based on the Doom engine.

And of course Deus Ex... but everyone should've played that by now.

All of these games are full action however, and most of them RPG lite.
gently caress, I'd forgotten about Arx Fatalis, thanks. Been wanting to try it for ages but kept forgetting about it. Only 500mb too, sweet.

Strife looks interesting. I may give it a try.

Deus Ex can kiss my rear end. :colbert: It's a bit more modern than I was looking for anyway (same goes for Vampire Masquerade and Oblivion, technically AF is too but I'll make an allowance).

Corridor fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Sep 5, 2009

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Corridor posted:

Deus Ex can kiss my rear end. :colbert: It's a bit more modern than I was looking for anyway (same goes for Vampire Masquerade and Oblivion, technically AF is too but I'll make an allowance).

What are you, insane? I can only hope you played the poo poo out of these games you mentioned.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I have but they are not what I'm after at present.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
I was thinking about making one of these threads but didn't get around to it - they're really great, I want to see this succeed like the NMD sticky.

Anyway, it's not grid-based or Orcs and Elves, but it's the only older RPG/FPS hybrid that I can think of - Have you played either of the System Shock games? I'm not sure if Good Old Games picked it up, but last I checked you could get the game on a lot of abandonware sites.

System Shock 2 still scares the poo poo out of me, despite the fact that the graphics can get a bit silly.

And a question of my own: Can anyone recommend a non-linear RPG with a cool world, along the lines of Arcanum or Vampire: Bloodlines? I think I might have run out, but there's still a little hope left in me. I've played all the Fallouts, Planescape, and Baldur's Gate II, though I didn't like the last one that much. Am I missing any great ones?

Edit: BEAT YA, BASTARD

doctor iono fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 5, 2009

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
System Shock 2 is one of the greatest games of all time, and unless I'm mistaken is available from Home of the Underdogs. (You may need to check up on the legalities of it tho, does anyone else know if it's still technically abandonware?)

Edit; Curse you doctor iono.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Yes I have SS2, LGS are my favourite non-company and I bored the forums with my Garrett crush when ThiAf was announced.

Sorry, it seems I've been unclear in what I'm actually asking for. Updated my OP with this paragraph -

quote:

edit: When I say classic or older games, what I mean is "something from around '95 or earlier'. poo poo I may have played in DOS when I was a kid, that used a lot of sprites and pixelly textures. SS2 or Vampire Masquerade, for example, are a lot more recent and technologically advanced than I'm thinking of.

Again, apologies. It hadn't occured to me that stuff like SS2 or Deus Ex might be considered old games. I only jumped at the Arx Fatalis recommendation because I've been forgetting to buy that thing for years now.

Speaking of LGS, someone recommended Ultima Underworld to me, and awful interfaces aside, those games look like exactly the sort of thing I mean.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Might and Magic 6 was just released on GoG: http://www.gog.com/en/frontpage/. It's a FPRPG. Plus it includes M&M 1-5.

Roflan fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 6, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Roflan posted:

Might and Magic 6 was just released on GoG: http://www.gog.com/en/frontpage/. It's a FPS RPG. Plus it includes M&M 1-5.

Also, OP, I wouldn't worry about how "fantasy" it seems - it's intentional, at least in the later games; somewhere along the line the entire Might and Magic series became parody. (Might've been from the start, but I haven't played the first two.)

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Well, all of them have technology mixed in-- most of the plots end with the discovery that the main enemies are aliens or something. The Wizardrys also had a lot of tech stuff in them.

PS: I can't read. As I didn't notice you mention your aversion to fantasy...

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Also, OP, I wouldn't worry about how "fantasy" it seems - it's intentional, at least in the later games; somewhere along the line the entire Might and Magic series became parody. (Might've been from the start, but I haven't played the first two.)
Okay okay, I'll get M&M 6. Goddamn World of Xeen, that horrible game plagued my life when I was 15. I hated it so much but couldn't stop playing. :mad:

I also said in the OP that multi player-characters annoy me unless they have real personality. I think M&M are all player-generated? Bah.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

I'm looking for a tactical single-player game similar to Jagged Alliance (2) and Silent Storm, as apparently both of these games poo poo themselves when I try to run them on my new computer. I'd rather have smaller squads as opposed to X-COM/UFO sized ones and preferably "realistic" as opposed to SciFi or Fantasy based, but if you have a good idea that don't fit those criteria feel free to suggest it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Corridor posted:

I also said in the OP that multi player-characters annoy me unless they have real personality. I think M&M are all player-generated? Bah.

Yeah, but you really don't manage them as individuals much, especially as you get into higher levels and everyone starts developing at least rudimentary spellcasting. Think of it less as a party and more as an insane adventurer with four split personalities.

a savvy frood
Feb 23, 2007
Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?
Nobody has recommended Mass Effect yet?

Edit: Nvm, didn't see the "classic" part meaning "old."

Forsaken Flask
May 14, 2007
Warning: Contents may cause birth defects
The only game I can think of is the Elder Scrolls game Daggerfall. Never played many of the old RPGs, but I hear this one is pretty good.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I spent so much time playing Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures as a kid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phNaOCcT6jc

It's a build-your-own RPG. The world exploration is first person, combat is overhead.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Be warned that Arx Fatalis is pretty buggy on vista 64-bit.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Think of it less as a party and more as an insane adventurer with four split personalities.
Hell, why did I never think of this.

Forsaken Flask posted:

The only game I can think of is the Elder Scrolls game Daggerfall. Never played many of the old RPGs, but I hear this one is pretty good.
I actually have this game, got it off the site when they offered it up for free. I tried it the other day and got turned off by the uglyass character portraits, but I'll have another go later.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Be warned that Arx Fatalis is pretty buggy on vista 64-bit.
Got XP. :smug:

Tinker.
Oct 16, 2007
I'm going to have to second Strife. If you haven't given it a try already you're doing yourself a disservice. I came to this thread hoping someone would post a game equivalent to somehow equivalent to Strife. Most amazing game concept my childhood mind could fathom.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Tinker. posted:

I'm going to have to second Strife. If you haven't given it a try already you're doing yourself a disservice. I came to this thread hoping someone would post a game equivalent to somehow equivalent to Strife. Most amazing game concept my childhood mind could fathom.
I've just spent a coupla hours with some of the games recommended and Strife is pretty good. I think it is actually the game I played when I was little, the one I unintentionally visualised when asking for this stuff. As far as I can tell it's just a Doom game with more talking and less crazy poo poo, all I've done so far is explore the town and find out where the first 'dungeon' or whatever is.

Most amazing thing about it was the character art and the voices. They actually aren't poo poo. For some reason I was 100% certain they would be. The dude's voice in the intro is hilarious.

Daggerful was both fun and horrible in the starting dungeon, which is HARD. After I emerged with a ton of awesome magic armour, none of which my class can equip, I got to a town and it just became horrible without the fun. I can only assume I'm playing it wrong, because it just seemed to be an annoying huge maze of houses which are randomly inaccessable, and a bunch of retards who all say the same poo poo. Having a village the actual size of a village probably seems a great idea but I thought it was nightmarishly boring.

edit: I also can't pick any locks, and the telepathic guards instantly know when I've opened a chest that isn't mine even if there's no one else within three floors.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Sep 6, 2009

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lands of Lore is basically what Eye of the Beholder 3 should have been. You manage a small party but there are absolutely no stats to keep track of. Leveling up is automatic and a majority of the battle system is based on what weapons you have equipped so it's more of a strategy rpg than straight up number crunching.

While you don't talk to anyone outside of cut scenes, Realms of the Haunting is a Cthulhu inspired horror adventure game with some devious puzzles and awesome weapons. Really atmospheric game and probably the only non-Command and Conquer game I've played with real actors in the FMVs that isn't totally campy.

Optilux
Feb 8, 2004
Gather unto Me, my children...We must all become as Light
You said you're a Looking Glass fan, so you may have played it already, but how about Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri? It's a series of FPS combat missions in very light mechs, with a few squadmates who you can order around, rather than an RPG. But was very good in '97 which was when I played it.

There's also the Marathon series which Macintosh owners swear is the best thing ever, and is now playable on PC and I think freeware, but I've never played it myself.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Corridor posted:

Sorry, got another one of these threads here, I couldn't find the previous generic Recommendation Thread. :( Someone really needs to make a sticky megathread or something, I'd start it myself if I thought anyone would use it.

Anyway, I'm looking for a good classic FPS RPG. I remember loving those things when I was a kid... they were like Doom 2 or Heretic, but you could talk to people! :aaa: Such realism was utterly mindblowing to me. I can't remember what any of them were, sadly, but they were pretty fun so I'd like some again. Older games obviously a preference, so go nuts, nostalgic nerds!

I'd also prefer single-character games since I hate having to manage a bunch of wankers instead of being able to immerse myself in one wanker, but I'll also consider a multi-char game if it's like, REALLY good, or if the characters actually have personality.

Might and Magic series seems a bit too 'fantasy' for me, with giant-boobed tavern wenches and many ugly character portraits cluttering up my nice clean interface, and I also remember World of Xeen being too hard for me. But again, if someone praises it highly enough I might give it a whirl.

I don't mind if it's grid-based instead of fully 3D. Something like Orcs And Elves would be perfect, actually.

edit: When I say classic or older games, what I mean is "something from around '95 or earlier'. poo poo I may have played when I was a kid, that used a lot of sprites and pixelly textures. SS2 or Vampire Masquerade, for example, are more recent and technologically advanced than I'm thinking of.

If you looking for modern "classic" games, have you checked out The Dark Spire ? Fantastic throwback game. Also, if you haven't played Eye of the Beholder, I had that for SNES. Never was a classic pc gamer, but it was fantastic for SNES.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I'm looking for a new game to play, perhaps you guys may know a few titles for me.

I'm after something, preferably an RPG, puzzle or point and click adventure game for PC or DS that I can honestly, really get sucked into. The last game that truly managed to totally immerse me and worked as a form of time travel (start playing at 8pm, look at the clock at what you think is an hour later and realise it's 2am) was rather ironically, the Chrono Trigger DS port which was the first time I'd played it. I want to get that feeling like I'm a 12 year old girl again, staying up late to play Link to the Past because it's so fun I don't want to put it down. Well, you get the point.

I don't care about the newest and shiniest games, I will play a text based adventure from 1972 if it's good fun. I just want it to be immersive, fun and most importantly, easy to just pick up and play whenever I feel like it.

I've played Fallout 3 and Oblivion lately (both heavily modded) but I tend not to prefer the first person RPG style, I enjoy the isometric top down views of things like Baldur's Gate 2 (which I still haven't beaten - the first dungeon puts me off every time) the first Neverwinter Nights which I still play from time to time, and Dungeon Siege. I tried to play the Dark Spire but embarrassingly I got stuck at a locked door about five minutes into the game which is a shame because I've heard wonderful things about it.

Any takers?

Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!
I am going to straight up ignore the Ops replies about this...

PLAY DEUS EX, you poo poo! It is a decade old. Buy it for five or ten bucks and play the poo poo out of it. Write down my forum name, too.
You'll want to thank me later.

Morrowind is pretty bad rear end. Massive dungeon in the addon. The others are pretty big. Massive world to explore. Combat is very retro-RPG. Stat based on to-hit. Great story, although the main quest is pretty short. Incredible world.

Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!

Faerie Fortune posted:

I'm looking for a new game to play, perhaps you guys may know a few titles for me.

I'm after something, preferably an RPG, puzzle or point and click adventure game for PC or DS that I can honestly, really get sucked into. The last game that truly managed to totally immerse me and worked as a form of time travel (start playing at 8pm, look at the clock at what you think is an hour later and realise it's 2am) was rather ironically, the Chrono Trigger DS port which was the first time I'd played it. I want to get that feeling like I'm a 12 year old girl again, staying up late to play Link to the Past because it's so fun I don't want to put it down. Well, you get the point.

I don't care about the newest and shiniest games, I will play a text based adventure from 1972 if it's good fun. I just want it to be immersive, fun and most importantly, easy to just pick up and play whenever I feel like it.

I've played Fallout 3 and Oblivion lately (both heavily modded) but I tend not to prefer the first person RPG style, I enjoy the isometric top down views of things like Baldur's Gate 2 (which I still haven't beaten - the first dungeon puts me off every time) the first Neverwinter Nights which I still play from time to time, and Dungeon Siege. I tried to play the Dark Spire but embarrassingly I got stuck at a locked door about five minutes into the game which is a shame because I've heard wonderful things about it.

Any takers?

And for you, my perscription is:
Arcanum.

A loving bad-rear end magic meets steam-punk RPG. Very cool.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008

Faerie Fortune posted:

I enjoy the isometric top down views of things like Baldur's Gate 2 (which I still haven't beaten - the first dungeon puts me off every time)

Any takers?

^^ This mod gets rid of the first dungeon, have fun!

http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=98&Itemid=79

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Machismo posted:

And for you, my perscription is:
Arcanum.

A loving bad-rear end magic meets steam-punk RPG. Very cool.

I just looked at this on wikipedia and I am amazed that I have never heard of this before. If this is going to be as good as I think it is, it may just tick all the right boxes for me - thanks!

ColdIronsBound posted:

^^ This mod gets rid of the first dungeon, have fun!

http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=98&Itemid=79

I KNEW something like that must exist but I had no clue where to find it, thanks!

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Faerie Fortune posted:

Any takers?

Have you played Hotel Dusk? It's an extremely cool adventure game on the DS. Amazing writing, great sense of humor, interesting story, and the whole game looks like this:

Lots of dialogue, lots of cool detective work.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I have, it's a very very cool game and I love the style but it's one of those games where you really can't leave it alone for more than a couple of days (or at least I can't) because by the time you've picked it back up again you've forgotten what you needed to do. My memory sucks.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

This is the first topic I've ever seen where someone refuses to play a game because it's too new.

quote:

Anyway, I'm looking for a good classic FPS RPG. I remember loving those things when I was a kid... they were like Doom 2 or Heretic, but you could talk to people!

This is basically Deus Ex go play it or you're an idiot. There, I said it.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Shut up about Deus Ex you guys, I have Deus Ex.

Optilux posted:

You said you're a Looking Glass fan, so you may have played it already, but how about Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri? It's a series of FPS combat missions in very light mechs, with a few squadmates who you can order around, rather than an RPG. But was very good in '97 which was when I played it.
I have never heard of this game before now!

It actually looks like not my thing, but thanks. And I'd forgotten about Marathon, I think I used to like it until I kept getting lost. Pathways Into Darkness was my favourite retarded-awesome game when I was a kid and I think it's the same engine.

al-azad posted:

Lands of Lore is basically what Eye of the Beholder 3 should have been. You manage a small party but there are absolutely no stats to keep track of. Leveling up is automatic and a majority of the battle system is based on what weapons you have equipped so it's more of a strategy rpg than straight up number crunching.

Apparently I play a flabby rapist stalking ladies in the local park at night. Sold, I guess?

quote:

While you don't talk to anyone outside of cut scenes, Realms of the Haunting is a Cthulhu inspired horror adventure game with some devious puzzles and awesome weapons. Really atmospheric game and probably the only non-Command and Conquer game I've played with real actors in the FMVs that isn't totally campy.
Oh god, this looks like it could be really awesome or really awful. If I can find it somewhere and I don't need to download anything too huge, I'll take a look.

And how dare you say C&C isn't campy, they got loving Tim Curry for god's sake. The actors in those games had the most fun I've ever seen anyone have on camera making those things as hammy as possible.

edit: To the guy who mentioned Dark Spire, I started playing it during one of my memory lapses where I forget how much Atlus loving hate their customers. Think I got to floor 2 before bowing out.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 6, 2009

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

al-azad posted:

You're the only person I've met who've played this as well. It was a great game, great world and the athmosphere scared the poo poo out of my 12 year old self.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Faerie Fortune posted:

I enjoy the isometric top down views of things like Baldur's Gate 2 (which I still haven't beaten - the first dungeon puts me off every time) the first Neverwinter Nights which I still play from time to time, and Dungeon Siege.

Ultima 5: Lazarus is a must then. Bunch of people remade Ultima 5 using Dungeon Seige, it's a mod for DS, based on an oldschool RPG. It's worth your time. At least play it long enough to kill Chuckles. You'll want to kill Chuckles.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Faerie Fortune posted:

Any takers?

Somebody already mentioned Arcanum, but they may have missed an even more obvious question: Have you played Fallout 1 or 2?

If not, definitely check them out. Anything you enjoyed about Fallout 3 other than the graphics or shooter elements, these games do many times better.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

quote:

Apparently I play a flabby rapist stalking ladies in the local park at night. Sold, I guess?

At the beginning you pick 1 of 4 characters: that buff guy with a smugface in the screenshot, this goofy paladin dude, a burn victim wizard, and a catguy furry.

Play the furry. Best character in the game. He starts with average stats but can attack 30x faster than everyone else.

Some other games no one mentioned:

Ultima Underworld. The first real time 1st person fully 3D RPG. It and the sequel have aged surprisingly well and it's pretty much the inspiration of the Elder Scroll games.

Anvil of Dawn. One character dungeon crawler. Think Eye of the Beholder with more environment based puzzles and only one character to keep track of. It didn't do anything terribly new or original so it got passed over at the time but everything it does do it does it right.

Stonekeep. Another RPG "lite" game. All the goodness of dungeon crawlers minus constant number crunching. You can buy it off GoG and if you hurry you can get another interplay game (perhaps one of the Fallout games?) for free.

Menzoberranzan. Based on the Drizzt series of books, the game boasts some atmospheric dungeons and cool set pieces. A bit heavier in the number crunching being a D&D game

Wizards and Warriors. The first game by Heuristic Park, a company by the dude who directed three of the better Wizardry games. This game is basically what Might and Magic 9 should have been. You control a large party but the system is simple (you have a small array of stats and skills to track) so it doesn't require study of a thick rear end manual to know all the tiny nuances. Good luck finding it though. Hell, good luck finding :filez: on it. Right now you can get a new copy on amazon for $80 or just the cd for $10. I'm pretty sure a total of 10 people have played it IRL.

Betrayal at Krondor. The only game off the top of my head based on a book and it doesn't suck. The world is huge and filled with a bunch of great encounters and quests (I'd say you only explore about 40% doing the main quest) and the battle system is a simple but intuitive turn based affair. The character actors in costumes makes it appear really, really goofy but the storyline and writing are top notch (a rarity for a early 90s game).

quote:

And how dare you say C&C isn't campy, they got loving Tim Curry for god's sake. The actors in those games had the most fun I've ever seen anyone have on camera making those things as hammy as possible.

That's Red Alert which is the most ridiculous continuing game storyline I've ever seen. The main series is very much serious.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Corridor posted:

You mentioned System Shock 2, but have you played System Shock 1? That's from 1995 right on the nose.
System Shock Portable: http://www.strangebedfellows.de/index.php/topic,211.0.html
Reference card and manual: http://www.strangebedfellows.de/index.php/topic,128.0.html

A tip about playing Daggerfall: Play with this open http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Daggerfall
It's real easy to get lost, stuck, confused, and discouraged from playing on your own.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Faerie Fortune posted:

I have, it's a very very cool game and I love the style but it's one of those games where you really can't leave it alone for more than a couple of days (or at least I can't) because by the time you've picked it back up again you've forgotten what you needed to do. My memory sucks.

Follow-up recommendation, then. Have you played The Last Express? It's kind of a similar game, but it's set right before the outbreak of WWI, and the whole game takes place on a train. Lots of emphasis on well-written characters and story, and everything takes place in real-time. Very nonlinear.

Plus they used a rotoscoping animation tool thing so everything looks like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

doctor iono posted:

Follow-up recommendation, then. Have you played The Last Express? It's kind of a similar game, but it's set right before the outbreak of WWI, and the whole game takes place on a train. Lots of emphasis on well-written characters and story, and everything takes place in real-time. Very nonlinear.

Plus they used a rotoscoping animation tool thing so everything looks like this:

I wish someone would try something like that again. The visuals were very cool and the plot was cool, only there were some very clunky areas of the game. Seems like something like this would be easier to get right today. Too bad adventure games are commercially non-viable :(