Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

-Blackadder- posted:

Can you goons recommend me some of the good Minecraft-likes? I already have Terraria and Don't Starve. I'm considering stuff like FortressCraft Evolved, Castleminer Z, Block Story etc.

ideas?

I wouldn't normally suggest Factorio in response to this question since it's not actually that much like Minecraft, but Don't Starve is even less like Minecraft, so... if you liked building automated factories in Minecraft, especially with some of the popular mod packs, Factorio is like those but much more coherent and balanced. On the other hand if you're in it for the exploring and seeing new landscapes and finding treasure then stay away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

-Blackadder- posted:

Can you goons recommend me some of the good Minecraft-likes? I already have Terraria and Don't Starve. I'm considering stuff like FortressCraft Evolved, Castleminer Z, Block Story etc.

ideas?

Starmade or Space Engineers are both similar ideas of game focused spaceship and space station construction.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Prey combat is literally Bioshock, for better or worse (mostly worse) with less interesting enemies than even the generic mooks in Rapture. Besides that the rest of the game is pretty alright.

This is just silly and couldn't possibly be the opinion of someone who played the game for more than an hour.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

-Blackadder- posted:

ideas?

7 Days to Die is basically Minecraft survival mode with better zombies and more point to the base building.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I wouldn't normally suggest Factorio in response to this question since it's not actually that much like Minecraft, but Don't Starve is even less like Minecraft, so... if you liked building automated factories in Minecraft, especially with some of the popular mod packs, Factorio is like those but much more coherent and balanced. On the other hand if you're in it for the exploring and seeing new landscapes and finding treasure then stay away.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Starmade or Space Engineers are both similar ideas of game focused spaceship and space station construction.

Tagra posted:

7 Days to Die is basically Minecraft survival mode with better zombies and more point to the base building.

Thanks, I'll check these out.

What about good Minecraft-likes with that voxel block style?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This is just silly and couldn't possibly be the opinion of someone who played the game for more than an hour.

Nah. The characters when you finally meet or read their emails is well done, exploring to discover or make your owns paths is fun, and the generally believable layout makes it feel more authentic. But the combat is tedious with too many of the same uninteresting types for too long plus enemies respawning in rooms when you're backtracking. Oh yeah and the load times between major areas is a downer.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Right? I have a feeling homeboy just walked forward with the shotgun and then went "eh this game is boring"

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

-Blackadder- posted:

ideas?

Tagra posted:

If you're ever playing a minecraft-like and not playing 7 Days To Die, you're wasting the fleeting time you have on this earth that you could be spending on 7 Days and having a good time

-Blackadder- posted:

What about good Minecraft-likes with that voxel block style?

Not sure what you mean by this. If you mean 'pixelated block' or 'cube-based' then 7 Days is both cube-based (with a very clever terrain engine), and if you set the graphics to Eighth-Sized Textures you get the N64 crap-texture experience.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 28, 2017

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Evilreaver posted:

If you're ever playing a minecraft-like and not playing 7 Days To Die, you're wasting the fleeting time you have on this earth that you could be spending on 7 Days and having a good time

Not sure what you mean by this. If you mean 'pixelated block' or 'cube-based' then 7 Days is both cube-based (with a very clever terrain engine), and if you set the graphics to Eighth-Sized Textures you get the N64 crap-texture experience.

I feel like I can't even keep track of all the survival crafting games in early access that I've been waiting years to be released. The Long Dark, The Forest, Subnautica, Stranded Deep, H1Z1, DayZ, Rust, Miscreated, Conan Exiles, Hellion, Ark, 7 Days to Die, etc.

So, out of all of these, 7 Days to Die is the best?

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 29, 2017

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

-Blackadder- posted:

I feel like I can't even keep track of all the survival crafting games in early access that I've been waiting years to be released. The Long Dark, The Forest, Subnautica, Rust, Ark, 7 Days to Die, etc.

By far. It's very feature rich and well put together, and has a fairly large online community.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Hmm, ok well I'll check it out. I watched an IGN review for it on youtube which was pretty harsh, but the review was a year old and there were a few other newer ones that seemed more positive, so I assume it's gotten a lot better.

Evilreaver posted:

Ah, yeah, I didn't know the vernacular for it but that's basically what I meant.

My understanding of what made Minecraft so attractive was that it was basically Lego's: The Video Game. And as anyone who played with Legos when they were a kid knows, they might as well be made of crack. With Minecraft it feels like it wasn't just that you could build these vast structures, it was that the blocks allowed an incredible degree of creative flexibility in the construction so that one could actually visualize the structure and how you wanted it to be built in a "brick by brick" way. The blocks certainly aren't as pretty but they're different than just combining the appropriate crafting materials in a menu so that you can summon a highly detailed but basically already complete object.

I'm not sure if that makes any sense? Based on what you said it does sound like 7 Days has the same "brick by brick" block crafting mechanic, with the only difference being that the "brick" graphics are more detailed?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

-Blackadder- posted:

ideas?

Creativerse is on Steam and is free. I promise you that its better than the games you mentioned not trying.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

-Blackadder- posted:

I'm not sure if that makes any sense? Based on what you said it does sound like 7 Days has the same "brick by brick" block crafting mechanic, with the only difference being that the "brick" graphics are more detailed?

Just for vocabulary, 'voxel' generally means 'cube' or at least 'cubic area'. :eng101: It's basically "volume" + "Pixel", and pixel is "picture element"

7 Days has heaps and heaps of blocks in all shapes (such as ramps, wedges, railings, plates, rounded cubes, cylinders, stairs), sizes and materials, and they just added Painting so you can make your wood building look like anything, including rare/unobtainable blocks. If you want Legos, that's the poo poo.

The fact that your house/fortress is assaulted each week incentivizes you to build more than 'dirt hut with a furnace inside'. Soon you'll be making concrete bunkers with murderholes, spike pits, autoturrets, electric fences, fallback positions, and all sorts of things. It's a grand old time. (And if you're a weenie, the zombies can be turned so low as to be practically off)

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 29, 2017

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

I feel like I can't even keep track of all the survival crafting games in early access that I've been waiting years to be released. The Long Dark, The Forest, Subnautica, Stranded Deep, H1Z1, DayZ, Rust, Miscreated, Conan Exiles, Hellion, Ark, 7 Days to Die, etc.

I've played most of those, and out of all of them Ark, 7 Days to Die and Rust feel the most feature-complete with varying levels of jankiness (Rust feels the most alpha-like to me). The Long Dark is a lot of fun, but the crafting is pretty bare bones and I've had a hard time figuring out how to survive for more than a handful of in-game days, which becomes boring real quick. The Forest is fun and does a fantastic job creating tension, but lost its appeal to me after only a short while once I figured out all of its tricks. Subnautica is really great, I just wish it was multiplayer and a better UI for construction. Stranded Deep was really awful and virtually unplayable when I gave it a shot. I've spent less time with H1Z1, DayZ and Conan, so I can't really comment on them.

7 Days to Die and Ark are probably the easiest to start having a good time with immediately whether you play online or offline. With both it's pretty easy to find good servers with the type of players you'd like to play with. On the other hand Rust's playerbase is composed of equal parts angsty tweens and no-life trolls, so ye be warned. I'd still be playing 7 Days to Die right now if I weren't so tired of zombie games.

kedo fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 29, 2017

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I've played several hundred hours of Rust and wrote a god damned essay about how great it is.

http://medium.com/@MarkusJB/my-summer-spent-wearing-rust-tinted-glasses-cee9472b2532#.3clug5z7x

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Any recommendations for strategy games in the vein of Settlers 2, Populous 3, Black & White or Dungeon Keeper?

EDIT: Why did Peter Molyneux stop making good games? That seems like a bad career move.

Boz0r fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 29, 2017

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Boz0r posted:

Any recommendations for strategy games in the vein of Settlers 2, Populous 3, Black & White or Dungeon Keeper?

EDIT: Why did Peter Molyneux stop making good games? That seems like a bad career move.

The Anno series of games. I like all of them but many don't like the last one Anno 2205 because of lack of random maps and multiplayer.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Boz0r posted:

Have you tried rimworld?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Keeshhound posted:

Have you tried rimworld?

Rimworld is nothing like the games he's talking about.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
It's at least a little bit like Dungeon Keeper and Settlers, even if the setting is very different. RImworld has resource gathering and supply chains like Settlers, and it has base building and hostile neighbors like DK.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Lorini posted:

Rimworld is nothing like the games he's talking about.

"Hands off base building game." They all scratch that itch for me, but if that's not what's being asked for then I retract the suggestion.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Caufman posted:

It's at least a little bit like Dungeon Keeper and Settlers, even if the setting is very different. RImworld has resource gathering and supply chains like Settlers, and it has base building and hostile neighbors like DK.

I see where you're coming from but if I had spent a lot of time with Settlers 2, Rimworld would be a big shock. I recommended the Anno series because the same guys who did Settlers 2 did Anno.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

kedo posted:

I've played most of those, and out of all of them Ark, 7 Days to Die and Rust feel the most feature-complete with varying levels of jankiness (Rust feels the most alpha-like to me).

My group of friends basically ends up binge-playing all the survival/build games, staying up way too late on weekends and then staggering in to work on Monday with sore wrists.

Rust is excellent IF you are in to griefing other people. There is no endgame content (and basically no PvE content at all), so there is no other point to the game than to build a base that is so annoying to get into that no one will bother you. Except once you've built that, you then have basically nothing to do but go try to break into other people's really annoying bases, and by the time you have the materials to do that successfully it's pretty much guaranteed there's nothing in their base that you don't already have. And then someone will probably flyhack/admin command into your base and take all your poo poo anyway. But the initial stages of frantically building your impenetrable fortress before someone stumbles by and finds you is really fun.

We're currently playing Ark and the dino taming is pretty interesting, but it's not getting us to binge the way some of the others have. I don't know why. It DOES have endgame PvE content and there's some pretty challenging situations to fall into, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of point to them other than to say you did it. I think my biggest wish right now is for the armor system to have more customizability so we could create custom exploration suits to survive in different climates, rather than just having the default sets.

We played Conan Exiles for all of like 40 minutes and all the servers were so unstable that we decided to go back later. From what I saw it looked like a carbon copy of Ark with new skins (but also a penis slider, so there's that). I can't actually comment on the playstyle though.

We've got like 800 hours in 7 Days over like four or five different returns to it, on both local and public servers. I always enjoy the hell out of it. It's got the best combo because there's tons to explore (everything from abandoned cities to underwater caves), there's a definite goal to your actions (build a base that can actually survive the Day 7 horde), there are hidden caves and ore veins to find underground, and if you're on an active server you have PvP elements of trying to collect resources before others get to them or just busting down bases for fun and profit. Just like Rust, except you might actually be looking for the materials you find, rather than just busting into someone's base to say you can. Bonus: 7 Days has a solo mode with achievements for that lonely non-pvp survival experience.
I think the thing that I disliked the most about 7 Days is that only one person can look in a chest at a time. What the gently caress is that about? :mad:

We also played Life is Feudal and I actually really enjoyed how rich the systems were, but it takes sooooooooooooooooo looooooonnnnnnnngggggggg to accomplish anything that you either need a huge group of people to share the workload, or you need to pay for your own server so you can adjust things as necessary so you don't want to kill yourself. LiF also has absolutely no point to building anything other than to be like "That was a lot of work but look how cool it is now!" or to prance around in your custom medieval village arpeeing with the villagers. There is PvP, but at the time we played it just made things stupid because the claiming system only worked for 24 hours, so if you didn't log back in and claim every single building every single day, someone could just walk by and overwrite your claim. Of course, if they didn't defend it you could just take it back tomorrow! I think it's better now but not by much because the developers ran off to work on something else instead.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Are there any good, modern clones of the Close Combat series?

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

Is it wise to purchase either the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or Metro games if I have very little interest in first-person shooters and aren't particularly enamoured by post-apocalyptic fiction? They've both been recommend to me on multiple occasions so there must be something about them that others believe may appeal to me. Do they transcend their genre? I hear they're both rather atmospheric, but that can mean many different things, and I'm concerned that in this case it mostly refers to the inherent horror of their respective settings.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

basalt posted:

Is it wise to purchase either the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or Metro games if I have very little interest in first-person shooters and aren't particularly enamoured by post-apocalyptic fiction? They've both been recommend to me on multiple occasions so there must be something about them that others believe may appeal to me. Do they transcend their genre? I hear they're both rather atmospheric, but that can mean many different things, and I'm concerned that in this case it mostly refers to the inherent horror of their respective settings.

Probably not. I would say both are masterpieces of their genre, but if you don't like their core gameplay or aesthetic, I'm not sure what could recommend them. I will say that for Stalker it's not so much the fiction but the world/setting that's engaging, but you primarily engage in that world by exploring it in the first person and shooting things in it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

basalt posted:

I haven't played the Metro games but I think Stalker is probably not going to be your cup of tea.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Sammus posted:

Are there any good, modern clones of the Close Combat series?

Have you looked at Steel Division? It's definitely not a clone of Close Combat, but it adheres to many of the same principles of morale and combined arms.

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

I appreciate the honest replies! It's interesting that these games have been consistently recommended to me almost every time I've asked for suggestions (regardless of where I am, or whether I'm looking for games with a focus on exploration, narrative, or combat). At one point they came up when I specifically asked for "relaxing hiking simulators", but in retrospect I think that person was joking.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

basalt posted:

I appreciate the honest replies! It's interesting that these games have been consistently recommended to me almost every time I've asked for suggestions (regardless of where I am, or whether I'm looking for games with a focus on exploration, narrative, or combat). At one point they came up when I specifically asked for "relaxing hiking simulators", but in retrospect I think that person was joking.

I mean I wouldn't say it's "relaxing" but the last STALKER game does have quite a bit of just wandering around in the open. I still wouldn't recommend it based on your other criteria of "not a FPS" and "not postapocalyptic", though.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I haven't tried either Rimworld or the Anno games. Is 1404 the one to get? It seems like all the newer ones have poo poo reviews because of UPlay.

I bought From Dust yesterday, but the controls and framerate were unbearable.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Boz0r posted:

War for the Overworld and Dwelvers are both literally "Dungeon Keeper 3 not made by Bullfrog", though War for the Overworld seems to be better liked.

Settlers 6: Rise of an Empire is alright. Skip the later games.

In terms of city building you have all the classics, walker based builders, such as the Casesar series, Pharao + expansion, Zeus + expansion, Emperor. Children of the Nile + expansion is also great, though not "walker based".
There is also Civ Cities: Rome and Rise of the Roman Empire (or something like that), there were a bunch of Roman Empire era citybuilders released around when Caesar 4 was released.

More modern builders include all the Anno games, 1503, 1602, 1701, 1404, 2070, 2205 (notice how the sum of the numbers in each game is 9)
Lethis path of Progression is a recently made "classic" city builder with retro graphics, i haven't played it.

In recent years the "medieval village" city builders surfaced, after the Roman Empire era and Reinessance era was used up (i guess)
Banished and Life is Feudal: Medieval Village are the top 2 contenders there.

Peter Molyneux stopped making games when people finally noticed that he was a lying sociopath that was extremely charismatic and able to get a lot of investors and hype on all his projects but never delivered more than 20% of his far fetched ideas for his games. His most recent game, Godus, is a soul sucking experience. Stay far away!

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

Ineptitude posted:

War for the Overworld and Dwelvers are both literally "Dungeon Keeper 3 not made by Bullfrog", though War for the Overworld seems to be better liked.

Settlers 6: Rise of an Empire is alright. Skip the later games.

In terms of city building you have all the classics, walker based builders, such as the Casesar series, Pharao + expansion, Zeus + expansion, Emperor. Children of the Nile + expansion is also great, though not "walker based".
There is also Civ Cities: Rome and Rise of the Roman Empire (or something like that), there were a bunch of Roman Empire era citybuilders released around when Caesar 4 was released.

More modern builders include all the Anno games, 1503, 1602, 1701, 1404, 2070, 2205 (notice how the sum of the numbers in each game is 9)
Lethis path of Progression is a recently made "classic" city builder with retro graphics, i haven't played it.

In recent years the "medieval village" city builders surfaced, after the Roman Empire era and Reinessance era was used up (i guess)
Banished and Life is Feudal: Medieval Village are the top 2 contenders there.

Peter Molyneux stopped making games when people finally noticed that he was a lying sociopath that was extremely charismatic and able to get a lot of investors and hype on all his projects but never delivered more than 20% of his far fetched ideas for his games. His most recent game, Godus, is a soul sucking experience. Stay far away!

Thanks for the suggestions. Of all of those, I've only tried War for the Overworld. Completed and loved it. I'll check the others out.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

What's the best tower defense game that is single player and contains some kind of...RPG stuff? I don't know. I like the feeling of arbitrary stat progression.

Note: I haven't really played a tower defense game since like, games my friends and I would set up in Warcraft 2 and play over the bing bing bong krrssh modem LET IT RING DON'T PICK IT UP MOM

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

credburn posted:

What's the best tower defense game that is single player and contains some kind of...RPG stuff? I don't know. I like the feeling of arbitrary stat progression.

Note: I haven't really played a tower defense game since like, games my friends and I would set up in Warcraft 2 and play over the bing bing bong krrssh modem LET IT RING DON'T PICK IT UP MOM

Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten, probably. Your towers are literally RPG party members.

I've never played GemCraft but lots of goons seem to have enjoyed it. Plants vs. Zombies, Immortal Defense, and the Creeper World/Particle Fleet series are great too, but they don't have much in the way of RPG elements.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 30, 2017

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Boz0r posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. Of all of those, I've only tried War for the Overworld. Completed and loved it. I'll check the others out.

I would recommend Children of the Nile (cheap on steam), Anno 1404 (cheap on GoG and no DRM) Anno 2205 (expensive-ish on Steam, with Ubisoft DRM) or Banished (cheap on steam)

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

credburn posted:

Immortal Defense is a really good tower defense game.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

My friend and I just got Arma 3, and we're fans of the STALKER games. Is there a total conversion or something that would let us do some cooperative STALKER play? Hostile environment, weird poo poo, twisted animals, hosed up weather, and bandits, bandits, bandits is what we're looking for.

edit: not interested in DayZ, bored with 7 Days to Die as we're not looking to build bases and withstand waves.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

doctorfrog posted:

My friend and I just got Arma 3, and we're fans of the STALKER games. Is there a total conversion or something that would let us do some cooperative STALKER play? Hostile environment, weird poo poo, twisted animals, hosed up weather, and bandits, bandits, bandits is what we're looking for.

edit: not interested in DayZ, bored with 7 Days to Die as we're not looking to build bases and withstand waves.

Closest thing to Stalker in Arma is probably Wasteland, though there are no environment or animal or weather changes and bandits are all people. Probably best if you don't expect much out of the Arma engine in terms of modding other than at most DayZ. Maybe you want Escape from Tarkov, the expansion to The Division (Survival?) or at the greatest push, Battle Royale in Arma 3 or PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds to scratch a similar itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I feel like playing a Dead Rising game. Where should I start, or are there other similar games that are better?