Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

EDF 4.1 was reduced to $20 not too long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Lost planet 2 is the ultimate 4p coop experience, but I'm not sure it even works on pc nowadays.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Really Pants posted:

EDF 4.1 was reduced to $20 not too long ago.

Oh, permanently? I thought that was just for the summer sale.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Klaus Kinski posted:

I got a ps4 recently and haven't really looked into what exclusives I might have missed.

I like platformers, roguelikes, metroidvanias and to my surprise I loved horizon and god of war 2018. Anything released pre-2018 I should check out based on this?

Bloodborne might scratch your metroidvania itch. It's part of the souls series.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Brainamp posted:

Bloodborne might scratch your metroidvania itch. It's part of the souls series.

Got it on ps plus a few months ago. It's on the backlog since I'm kinda burned out on soulslikes right now.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Kenshin posted:

So, looking for suggestions for 4-player cooperative online game that isn't "unforgiving" (so, no permadeath roguelikes even if they are co-op) and won't require huge amounts of time investment (MMOs) so that we can have shenanigans online for a few hours once a week? Casual games are fine, adventure, action, third person shooters even. We've all already played things like Borderlands 1 and 2, and the couple have already played Destiny.

Warframe seems to fit your criteria. One or more of you probably need to do some reading first, as the game can be overwhelming in its options. Four-player shenanigans can definitely be had, though.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Kenshin posted:

So, looking for suggestions for 4-player cooperative online game that isn't "unforgiving" (so, no permadeath roguelikes even if they are co-op) and won't require huge amounts of time investment (MMOs) so that we can have shenanigans online for a few hours once a week? Casual games are fine, adventure, action, third person shooters even. We've all already played things like Borderlands 1 and 2, and the couple have already played Destiny.

I am also looking for this, all the time. I would recommend, specifically for just generating fun moments

Dying Light
Magicka (2)
Shadow Warrior 2 (if you find it cheap, it's basically in the vein of Borderlands 2 but significantly less content)
Divinity: Original Sin 2 (investigate this, it is possibly not right for you)
River City Ransom Underground (better with a controller though, and has significant negative opinions about it, though I like it a ton)
Monster Hunter World (though the time investment is similar to Destiny etc)

There's also the genre of mission-based co-op grinds, like Payday 2 and Vermintide 2.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kenshin posted:

Our ideal game would be Just Cause 4 with 4-player online co-op. But it won't have co-op. Soooo...
Left4Dead 1&2, depending on your definition of punishing. Four episodes each, each with 5 segments, if you die you need to get rescued from a hero closet or have the other players finish the segment, and if everyone dies it bounces you back to the start of the segment. An episode takes an hour to a couple of hours.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Kenshin posted:

I could use a game recommendation! For the past few months about once a week, three friends and I have been playing co-op Ghost Recon Wildlands. PC, with discord voice, with two of our people on mouse+keyboard and the other two (a couple gaming in the same room on separate computers) on xbox 360 gamepads. It's been an absolute riot as we're all at least reasonably competent at gaming so as a 4-person squad we easy slice through the game and have hilarious misadventures due either to our own hubris, random chance, or absurd bugs and network desyncs.

We've now finished the game, and after a few ideas that didn't quite work out (the couple tried PAYDAY 2 out and really didn't enjoy it, just not as much of a gently caress-about game, and for Stonehearth it's really a mouse driven game and not really the best for gaming on a tv from the couch, No Man's Sky NEXT is nice but has some game-breaking multiplayer bugs and... just isn't compelling multiplayer?) we've landed on Overcooked 2. This is quite fun and I think will hold us for a few weeks at least, but once we're done with that... we're kinda lost for ideas.

Our ideal game would be Just Cause 4 with 4-player online co-op. But it won't have co-op. Soooo...

Off the wall suggestion, but Star Trek Bridge Simulator (no longer requires VR) is up to 4 people. You each take one of command, helm, tactical (weapons), and engineering stations. Another older spaceship bridge simulator, Artemis, is also a blast on co-op though I think it takes some doing to run it online as opposed to over a lan.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Kenshin posted:

I could use a game recommendation! For the past few months about once a week, three friends and I have been playing co-op Ghost Recon Wildlands. PC, with discord voice, with two of our people on mouse+keyboard and the other two (a couple gaming in the same room on separate computers) on xbox 360 gamepads. It's been an absolute riot as we're all at least reasonably competent at gaming so as a 4-person squad we easy slice through the game and have hilarious misadventures due either to our own hubris, random chance, or absurd bugs and network desyncs.

We've now finished the game, and after a few ideas that didn't quite work out (the couple tried PAYDAY 2 out and really didn't enjoy it, just not as much of a gently caress-about game, and for Stonehearth it's really a mouse driven game and not really the best for gaming on a tv from the couch, No Man's Sky NEXT is nice but has some game-breaking multiplayer bugs and... just isn't compelling multiplayer?) we've landed on Overcooked 2. This is quite fun and I think will hold us for a few weeks at least, but once we're done with that... we're kinda lost for ideas.

Small games big fun: Broforce, Castle crashers, Overcooked 2 has online multiplayer too.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kenshin posted:

Get Vermintide 2 yesterday

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kenshin posted:

Monster Hunter world.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Kenshin posted:

Deep Rock Galactic is four-player dungeon crawling a la Vermintide/Left4Dead but with procedural dungeons and unlockable perks/gear upgrades. Missions are ~20-40 minutes. Fun on a bun!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Monster Hunter World is going to be the new Dark Souls of recommendations. Almost everyone's going to suggest it and for good reason.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I really want it, but I'm waiting for them to iron out the kinks in the PC port

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Evilreaver posted:

Deep Rock Galactic is four-player dungeon crawling a la Vermintide/Left4Dead but with procedural dungeons and unlockable perks/gear upgrades. Missions are ~20-40 minutes. Fun on a bun!

deep rock galactic is a lot more fun to me than games like L4D and that's due in no small part to one of the classes having a grappling gun

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

AG3 posted:

I really want it, but I'm waiting for them to iron out the kinks in the PC port

Anecdotally, it's running beautifully on my PC (i7 3770K, not overclocked, 16GB RAM) but we did have to cross a few hurdles on the first day.
- I needed new video drivers to get through the opening cutscene, which isn't terribly unexpected. I'm using a Radeon, my husband has an Nvidia. Neither of us are having issues now. I do think I am getting better framerate than he is, but neither of us are having issues running it (we have similar system specs).
- Connection issues were awful at first but have improved. I still disconnect occasionally which is a bitch and a half, but I can usually reconnect to the session before the fight is over. It's dumb, though, because when you disconnect it permanently ties up the party slot with "Left the quest". I didn't leave the loving quest, I'm right here. Let me back in you fuckers :mad:. So we always have to select a four player mission even if it's just the two of us, just in case. I'm not sure if a "third" person joining causes the difficulty to increase, either. It's bad design, tbh.
- People bitch about the mouse movement but I haven't had a single issue with it. I'm not sure what's different about mine. I do have a high sensitivity mouse so maybe I just don't notice it. My husband is using a controller and has no issues there.
- The lock-on is so awful that I have to assume it's broken somehow. I don't use it...

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The lock on is for quickly finding the monster it is rarely correct in this game to orient yourself constantly with a monsters face

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Tagra posted:

- The lock-on is so awful that I have to assume it's broken somehow. I don't use it...

There's a setting in the options that will force your lock on to only work on Large Monsters, which is one step towards making it suck less. If you want to keep facing the monster you're locked on to you have to be pressing L2 to face your camera. It still sucks and I don't use it tbh

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I found out that the last boss in MHW can corrupt your save so uh I think I'll wait on that purchase.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I feel like I heard at some point that Tales of Berseria was a JRPG that didn't get bogged down in mechanics and was mostly about the characters. Is that the case?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

McFrugal posted:

I found out that the last boss in MHW can corrupt your save so uh I think I'll wait on that purchase.

It's easy to back up your save and the same is still easily GOTY, so I'd say get it anyways.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

There's a setting in the options that will force your lock on to only work on Large Monsters, which is one step towards making it suck less. If you want to keep facing the monster you're locked on to you have to be pressing L2 to face your camera. It still sucks and I don't use it tbh

That might help. I keep hitting it by accident and then it just seems to lock on to some random poo poo nearby and spin me around over and over again instead of turning off :argh:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I feel like I heard at some point that Tales of Berseria was a JRPG that didn't get bogged down in mechanics and was mostly about the characters. Is that the case?

If you're playing on Easy you can just button-mash through most fights, yeah.

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

Tagra posted:

That might help. I keep hitting it by accident and then it just seems to lock on to some random poo poo nearby and spin me around over and over again instead of turning off :argh:

The default camera setting is you click the right stick (or whatever the KB&M equivalent is) to select your target. The camera will move to look at the target but doesn't "lock on", it won't track the monster and you still have full control over it with the right stick. When you want the camera to snap to the target again, tap L1, NOT the right stick. Clicking the right stick will cycle to the next target (visible in the bottom left corner of the screen). Most of the monsters are big enough that it's not hard to keep track of them and being able to control the camera to stay aware of your environment is very useful.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
So my wife is due with our 3rd in about two weeks. I will need to play some fun PC games where I can:

1) Play easily using only the mouse
2) Pause frequently and resume
3) Play without frequent and horrific blood curdling screams or discernible scenes of blood / gore

I already have a couple of decent options with Frostpunk and Grim Dawn. There any other chill games I can play during my paternity leave?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

So my wife is due with our 3rd in about two weeks. I will need to play some fun PC games where I can:

3) Play without frequent and horrific blood curdling screams or discernible scenes of blood / gore

I already have a couple of decent options with Frostpunk and Grim Dawn. There any other chill games I can play during my paternity leave?

4x games are your friend and of course the king of 4x is Civilization.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lorini posted:

4x games are your friend and of course the king of 4x is Civilization.

I just had my first kid, and 4x games are mana from heaven when you're up at 4 am holding a baby. The Endless series by Amplitude are some of the best around.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
- "Daddy, how was it like when I was born?"
- "Oh the usual; Gandhi being a bitch and trying to nuke me"

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I usually gravitate toward RTS over 4x, but they're similar enough I should probably look into some of those. Also the last good RTS made was like... Command and Conquer 3?

I have Northgard and it's pretty fun, all be it a bit shallow.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I usually gravitate toward RTS over 4x, but they're similar enough I should probably look into some of those. Also the last good RTS made was like... Command and Conquer 3?

I have Northgard and it's pretty fun, all be it a bit shallow.

Try Stellaris. It's a real time with pause space 4x, so it might bridge the gap between what you like and what works better for your situation.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Slay the Spire is a fun deckbuilder roguelike. It's entirely mouse based and if you're not pressing buttons nothing's happening.

Stellaris is a real time with pause space 4X, and if you're happy to go old school Sins of a Solar Empire is an RTS pretending to be a 4x.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Creeper world 3? There are a few useful keyboard commands but I'm pretty sure you only need the mouse.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Pillars of Eternity 2? I've been mostly playing that on my laptop on the couch using just touch pad and spacebar.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

My go to when living with a 0-3 month old was Thea: The Awakening, which is kind of a cross of an RPG and a 4x. I can see it being an acquired taste, though. Play on a harder difficulty and quit when you lose too many people, that's my advice.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

turn-based combat is what you want. Into The Breach is god-tier among this (short campaigns, roguelite structure, lots of unlocks possible, incredibly fair but challenging gameplay)

additionally Darkest Dungeon might be acceptable, but it does have comic-book blood in its combat depictions, e.g.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Assuming you like soccer, football manager can and will take over your life

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

nachos posted:

Assuming you like soccer, football manager can and will take over your life

I like football, not soccer.

Splicer posted:

Slay the Spire is a fun deckbuilder roguelike. It's entirely mouse based and if you're not pressing buttons nothing's happening.

Stellaris is a real time with pause space 4X, and if you're happy to go old school Sins of a Solar Empire is an RTS pretending to be a 4x.

double nine posted:

turn-based combat is what you want. Into The Breach is god-tier among this (short campaigns, roguelite structure, lots of unlocks possible, incredibly fair but challenging gameplay)

additionally Darkest Dungeon might be acceptable, but it does have comic-book blood in its combat depictions, e.g.

I'll check those out, thanks!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I like football, not soccer.

Then you'll love Football Manager. Odd that there's no good Handegg Manager.

To be serious, if you're into Baseball, Out of the Park is a fantastic series, as is Eastside Hockey for Hockey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

King of Dragon Pass