Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

chainchompz posted:

Subnautica was like that for me. Underwater sci fi game where you're crash landed on a planet and trying to get back off world. Perfect for just straight up chilling. Even the hazards are not all that scary once you learn how to work around them.

I was going to suggest this. Thematically it's got a neat (if unobtrusive) story to tell about loneliness, being as it is basically a "desert island" simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

External Organs posted:

Not dinosaurs but what about like, Pokemon snap?

It's got the non-violence although if I remember it rightly you're on rails so don't really get to explore at your own pace. Definitely going to keep it in mind for future games the kiddo might enjoy though, thanks!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Heartfelt and earnest games to make you feel feelings:
  • Thomas Was Alone
  • Bastion
  • Celeste
  • Shovel Knight
  • Wonderful 101
  • Octodad: Dadliest Catch
Games you can just get lost in playing so you can forget your troubles:
  • Mario Odyssey
  • Shovel Knight
  • Bastion
  • Jedi: Fallen Order
  • Astroneer
  • Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
  • Shadow of Mordor (requires less engagement so you can just play through something and skim the story)
  • Punch Club
  • Assassin's Creed Origins/Odyssey (if you can tune out the main story, which is often trash)
  • Sleeping Dogs
  • Arkham Asylum
  • Wuppo
  • Mass Effect 2
Really good games that are also kinda sad so they might make you more depressed, but also maybe a sad story can make you feel better:
  • Hollow Knight
  • Witcher 3
  • Red Dead Redemption the first.
  • Transistor
  • VA-11 Hall-A

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I was going to suggest this. Thematically it's got a neat (if unobtrusive) story to tell about loneliness, being as it is basically a "desert island" simulator.

I'd actually caution that the depths of the ocean can end up seeming pretty scary, but that really depends on your own personal disposition towards the dark or the unknown.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Games that always give me a pick-me-up:

-Breath of the Wild. It's a great game, yes, but there is something about how it weaves its fairy tale/myth/hero's journey into long stretches where you just wander through nature and explore. You can fill days with just riding somewhere and going where it peaks your interest, and whenever you do decide to do a quest or story event it is filled with likeable characters.
-Wind Waker. Classic. See the points above, but whatever it loses in open world it makes up for in character.
- Saint's Row 2, 3 and 4. Might sound strange, but Volition did something incredibly right in writing these games. The violence is so comically over the top that it never disturbs and the escalation sets it apart from every other GTA-like title. As the games go on, your gang (the titular Saints) grow ever more powerful and their adventures become more and more absurd. The charm is how, at its core, it's a game about a group of friends and misfits living in what might as well be a cartoon. The writing nails the way that a close knit group interacts, chats and plays of each other. This is then amplified by them being the main characters in a crimegame, so everything encourages you and the characters to just cut loose and do whatever the gently caress you want. In real life, I've never fought of a gang of luchadores, sunk a Helicarrier or fought aliens in the matrix as the president of the United States, but I've definitely had nights on the town where you and your friends feel like they are as invincible, rolling along with poo poo and having a blast like the main characters here. Make sure to stick around for the Xmas DLC, too.
-Felix the Reaper. Charming puzzle game, narrated by Patrick Stewart. Like a warm cup of tea before bed, really.
-Jenny LeClue. Adventure/puzzle game about an author who suffers from writers block when writing the latest installment of his Nancy Drew-like books, intermixed with the events of said book. Not too hard, frequently goes on sale and way better than it had any right to be.
-Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars. An American tourist and French reporter get sucked into a massive conspiracy involving Templars, treasure and a killer that dresses up in bizarre costumes. Revolution Software made a superior and way funnier version of The Da Vinci Code half a decade before Dan Brown got around to it. Available in remastered form.
-Grim Fandango. Sometimes, things just go wrong and you don't know where you'll end up. But at the same time, you can always pick up the pieces and get to the bottom of things. Absolute classic that doesn't need an introduction.
-Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. I have no faith in Ubisoft's anounced remake, but the original is a fantastic platformer with one hell of a story.
-Any of the Fire Emblem games. The combinations of TBS with permanent characters and RPG mechanics is like catnip to me and the melodramatic story can suck you right in.
-Metal Gear Solid V. This is a weird one, but a few years ago I was playing through the entire series. Something happened and the day before my birthday turned into one of the worst days of my life. I was numbing myself with a bunch of beer and games, trying to fully lose myself in MGS. I lost track of time and didn't see the clock pass midnight. The game tells me something has gone wrong and I need to return to base ASAP. In true Kojima fashion, tha game used my date of birth to determine my birthday and had a special citscene where all the characters trow you a surprise party. It seems silly, but I remember it as a really fun surprise on a day that I truly needed it.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Sobatchja Morda posted:

- Saint's Row 2, 3 and 4. Might sound strange, but Volition did something incredibly right in writing these games. The violence is so comically over the top that it never disturbs and the escalation sets it apart from every other GTA-like title. As the games go on, your gang (the titular Saints) grow ever more powerful and their adventures become more and more absurd. The charm is how, at its core, it's a game about a group of friends and misfits living in what might as well be a cartoon. The writing nails the way that a close knit group interacts, chats and plays of each other. This is then amplified by them being the main characters in a crimegame, so everything encourages you and the characters to just cut loose and do whatever the gently caress you want. In real life, I've never fought of a gang of luchadores, sunk a Helicarrier or fought aliens in the matrix as the president of the United States, but I've definitely had nights on the town where you and your friends feel like they are as invincible, rolling along with poo poo and having a blast like the main characters here. Make sure to stick around for the Xmas DLC, too.

Small word of caution from me: Saint's Row 2 is definitely a good game but there are parts of it that are still very much close to the GTA roots that I found a bit disturbing, like leaning closer to "Mexican cartel violence" than over-the-top cartoon violence. Saint's Row 3 is pretty much all ridiculous and toilet humour and there's no way to take it seriously, and Saint's Row 4 is very much a pastiche of everything that was popular in video games in the 2010's, so I found 3 and 4 to be a lot more lighthearted compared to 2.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Deltasquid posted:

Small word of caution from me: Saint's Row 2 is definitely a good game but there are parts of it that are still very much close to the GTA roots that I found a bit disturbing, like leaning closer to "Mexican cartel violence" than over-the-top cartoon violence. Saint's Row 3 is pretty much all ridiculous and toilet humour and there's no way to take it seriously, and Saint's Row 4 is very much a pastiche of everything that was popular in video games in the 2010's, so I found 3 and 4 to be a lot more lighthearted compared to 2.

(mild spoilers for Saints Row 2)
Yeah there are multiple murders of significant others and a mercy killing, just to my memory.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Magnetic North posted:

(mild spoilers for Saints Row 2)
Yeah there are multiple murders of significant others and a mercy killing, just to my memory.

The one's I'm thinking about are (slightly more spoilerish) you put one guy's girlfriend in a car trunk so he crushes her in a monster truck rally event, and burying one guy alive and having Gat quip "think he's still screaming?" later in the game

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'd also give Metal Gear V a big ol' content warning, because while it's a fantastic game and probably the best of its kind, it sure does get rapey at bits. Also horror, tragedy, and history.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Any recs for competitive LAN party games that let you set handicaps on the players? Either to strengthen the weak or weaken the strong. Bonus points if it's a game that can run on a toaster, and also bonus points if the handicap feels non-frustrating*.

* I love StarCraft 2 but the handicap of just straight up reducing HP across your whole army is dumb and feels bad. Whereas something like your pieces moving faster in Tetris still makes it harder for you, but doesn't feel as frustrating because it feels like you can overcome it with skill.

edit: auto-handicaps are fine too, recently got Boomerang Fu on the Switch and it automatically gives a shield to a player that's doing badly enough. I think Towerfall might've done something similar.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
The Worms series? Let you individually tweak HP, damage etc done by your units per team as I recall.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Cicero posted:

Any recs for competitive LAN party games that let you set handicaps on the players? Either to strengthen the weak or weaken the strong. Bonus points if it's a game that can run on a toaster, and also bonus points if the handicap feels non-frustrating*.

* I love StarCraft 2 but the handicap of just straight up reducing HP across your whole army is dumb and feels bad. Whereas something like your pieces moving faster in Tetris still makes it harder for you, but doesn't feel as frustrating because it feels like you can overcome it with skill.

edit: auto-handicaps are fine too, recently got Boomerang Fu on the Switch and it automatically gives a shield to a player that's doing badly enough. I think Towerfall might've done something similar.

well, look at what the latest AoE2 patch just added!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZhkB-4HGno

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

what am i looking at these days in terms of "tactical" co-op shooters? for a group of 2-4 people. we've already played various rainbow six games, as well as ghost recon and swat. more recently tried out this indie one called "zero hour", which is cool but it also kind of sucks. are we missing anything good?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kevin Bacon posted:

what am i looking at these days in terms of "tactical" co-op shooters? for a group of 2-4 people. we've already played various rainbow six games, as well as ghost recon and swat. more recently tried out this indie one called "zero hour", which is cool but it also kind of sucks. are we missing anything good?

Deep Rock Galactic

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

Deep Rock Galactic

It may not appear "tactical" at first glance, but this is truly a co-op game where a good team is more than the sum of its parts.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Kevin Bacon posted:

Due Process is very similar to these, but it’s PvP so only coop in that you could be on a team together.

Door kickers is very similar but it’s a top down shooter.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Fruits of the sea posted:

It may not appear "tactical" at first glance, but this is truly a co-op game where a good team is more than the sum of its parts.

you sure as poo poo gotta think fast when the game drops a bulk detonator on you in a treacherous cave shaft

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

SetSliRol posted:

Might be a bit E/N but any Goons got reccs for games that helped them out of a rough time? Year's been pretty poo poo so far and I'd like to at least end it on a good note by trying something new. Anything that's not a game you're encouraged to play a lot (ie Animal Crossing) and you could go at your own pace with is a plus.

Elite: Dangerous did this for me

It's by no means a perfect game but something it really nails is immersion. It felt like I was actually hopping in a spaceship and taking off. I spent hours deep-core mining, which is prowling through asteroid fields scanning for valuable ones, then shooting seismic charges into precise spots to crack the hull open, and hoovering up all of the resources. When I got bored of that I decided to say "gently caress humanity" and flung myself into the far-off reaches of the galaxy hopping from star to star scanning never-before-discovered planets and occasionally landing on them to drive around in a moon buggy and collect rare resources, maybe if you're lucky stumbling across an alien probe that will spy on you as you moonbuggy around.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Deltasquid posted:

and burying one guy alive and having Gat quip "think he's still screaming?" later in the game

to be fair that guy sucks so much it's legit funny and not horrifying

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Kevin Bacon posted:

Ground Branch. Like Zero Hour, but good.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I just finished Blasphemous and now I'm looking for a new metroidvania with an emphasis on open exploration and world building to fill the void.

I've already played Hollow Knight, which was a perfect example of what I'm looking for. Ori didn't quite hit the mark I'm the same way. Is there anything out there that I may have missed?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

How about Metroid Dread? An actual Metroid game, hold the -vania.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night was pretty fun too despite some odd bugs here and there.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

McCracAttack posted:

How about Metroid Dread? An actual Metroid game, hold the -vania.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night was pretty fun too despite some odd bugs here and there.

I played both of those too! Not really what I'm looking for though - they were very fun to play, but also were very video-gamey and light/non-existent on the world building. Like if you asked me what the setting was for Bloodstained I'm pretty sure I couldn't say anything specific about it

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
The setting for Bloodstained is Castlevania

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Speaking of which, have you played Castlevania: Symphony of the Night? If so, how long ago?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Steamworld Dig 2 I think is probably the game that will be best for you, it's got a very neat world. Wuppo is pretty distinct and cute, even if it's not very gameplay-intensive. Maybe La-Mulana will feel organic to you since the mystery purposefully left behind by the ancients gives a flavor to the gamey puzzle-solving. If you're willing to try 3D non-platformer games that have some Metroidvania spirit, there's things like Dark Souls, Arkham Asylum, Jedi: Fallen Order, and Subnautica, that vary a lot on how structured the exploration gets. how tight or challenging the combat is, and what type of world you're exploring.

I think a lot of older or meant-to-feel-retro Metroidvania games have a lot less worldbuilding spelled out for you and there's a lot you're supposed to intuit or imagine from blurrier contexts, so it might help to try developing your own critical thought or imagination for what the world and environment could be conveying. Which I know that might sound weird as a recommendation, but if you like the experience of delving into something bigger or imagining what kind of a world those big caverns could've once been, you might get more enjoyment if you try putting some of your own thought into things even if the game itself might not be very forthcoming.

I dunno how exactly you cultivate your own sense of critical thinking though, but if you consciously put in the effort to do some thinking, you might find something you didn't expect. Youtube lore videos and thinkpieces might give you an idea of what kind of environmental story might lurk in a low-detail environment. This video about Metroid 2 really inspired me, even if I don't really have it in me to play the original Metroid 2 for real. AM2R sounds pretty neat though.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

McCracAttack posted:

Speaking of which, have you played Castlevania: Symphony of the Night? If so, how long ago?

To be honest, almost yearly since 2001. Super Metroid nearly as much

I kind of have my eye on Salt and Sanctuary and Momodora, they seem atmospheric enough. Any opinions?

edit: ^^^ I forgot about La Mulana, and I own Steamworld Dig 2 but never started it, I'll give those a try

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Deadcells has an interesting take on the genre in that it is a roguelike meteoidvania. You go on permadeath runs through a somewhat linear game path, unlocking new abilities and gear through metaprogression. Some of the most beautiful pixel artwork and animations ever, and great gameplay.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Axiom Verge 1/2 are pretty good metroidvanias although don't have quite as good combat or as interesting scenery as Blasphemous. Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth. FIST Forged in Shadow Torch. Salt and Sanctuary if you enjoy the soulslike element. I'm probably forgetting my favorite ones but those are what jumped to mind.

And speaking of unique puzzle games, I played a bit of Moncage last night and it is really interesting but kind of difficult. Legit a totally new type of puzzle game, at least I've never played anything quite like it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Manager Hoyden posted:

I just finished Blasphemous and now I'm looking for a new metroidvania with an emphasis on open exploration and world building to fill the void.

I've already played Hollow Knight, which was a perfect example of what I'm looking for. Ori didn't quite hit the mark I'm the same way. Is there anything out there that I may have missed?

I haven't played it but Ender Lillies seems to be going for this kind of vibe

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Manager Hoyden posted:

I kind of have my eye on Salt and Sanctuary and Momodora, they seem atmospheric enough. Any opinions?

First off, I second the recommendation for Steamworld Dig 2.

I've played several of the Momodora games. They're pretty good games on the whole, and IMO if you like how they look you should play them. But, while they have some worldbuilding, IMO it doesn't really come across much in-game. You have a bunch of atmospheric environments to explore, and there's lore about how the place you're in fits into some geopolitical struggle and the ramifications for the game's main conflict...but the environments don't really tie into that conflict much. For example, maybe you're trying to get into a castle to save the monarch from an invasion...the lore will talk about why there's an invasion, and how everyone feels about it, but they won't get into why there's a big ol' torture dungeon in the basement.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i feel that. i'd kill for a game where combat was deep and involved and rare. like give me a wandering samurai simulator or something

What I'd like is an isometric RPG where this is the case. I was playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker, and before that I was playing Pillars of Eternity, the Infinity Engine Games, et cetera, and what frustrates me about these games is how often you're fighting against near identical combat encounters.

If already killed one group of spiders, it is not a challenge for me if I face another group of spiders just afterwards. It's just tedium and padding.

What I want is a CRPG where each combat encounter is offering a distinct challenge. Sort of like a bloody puzzle. The closest things I can think of that come to this are Soulsborne games, but even they run into cut-and-paste territory.

I just get tired of games wasting my time as I get older. I'm working my way through grad school and I do not want to spend an hour of my limited free time doing the same thing ten times.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Xanderkish posted:

What I'd like is an isometric RPG where this is the case. I was playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker, and before that I was playing Pillars of Eternity, the Infinity Engine Games, et cetera, and what frustrates me about these games is how often you're fighting against near identical combat encounters.

If already killed one group of spiders, it is not a challenge for me if I face another group of spiders just afterwards. It's just tedium and padding.

What I want is a CRPG where each combat encounter is offering a distinct challenge. Sort of like a bloody puzzle. The closest things I can think of that come to this are Soulsborne games, but even they run into cut-and-paste territory.

I just get tired of games wasting my time as I get older. I'm working my way through grad school and I do not want to spend an hour of my limited free time doing the same thing ten times.

Look into Age of Decadence. It’s a post-apocalyptic Roman style old school RPG. Depending on your build, combat can be lethal. If you’re playing a merchant/politician type, you probably should be avoiding any combat. On the other hand if you’re a combat trained praetorian, you’ll wipe the floor with common bandits.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Manager Hoyden posted:

Environmental Station Alpha?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Aquaria definitely scratches that exploration itch. It's older and a bit basic, though.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Xanderkish posted:

This is kind of a difficult request. Baldur’s Gate 2 puts a lot of effort into encounter variety but as you’ve probably noticed, the power curve means that it ultimately doesn’t make much of a difference.

Invisible Inc leans heavily on puzzle solving- the different character abilities, time limits and map layouts add a lot of variety. It’s also a relatively short (10-20 hour?) game so it doesn’t outstay its welcome. It isn’t a crpg though.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cantorsdust posted:

Look into Age of Decadence. It’s a post-apocalyptic Roman style old school RPG. Depending on your build, combat can be lethal. If you’re playing a merchant/politician type, you probably should be avoiding any combat. On the other hand if you’re a combat trained praetorian, you’ll wipe the floor with common bandits.

Seconding this, it's very love it or hate it but it's certainly what you're describing.

There are also your more combat mission based CRPGs like Blackguards and Druidstone which are solely focused on a series of handcrafted encounters, though they're arguably a slightly different genre since there's nothing really to them other than the combat itself.

Pillars of Eternity 2 had less filler combat as a design goal though I don't think it fully succeeded on that front. Tyranny - although I wasn't a huge fan overall - does, however, combat is fairly rare and when it happens it's generally meaningful.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Xanderkish posted:

Divinity OS 1/2 are exactly what you describe, pretty much every battle is a setpiece encounter with some kind of theme.

POE 2 Deadfire has some trash mobs, but way fewer than the norm.

Wasteland 3 also tries to have meaningful encounters, for the most part.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Xanderkish posted:

Divinity: Original Sin 2 has basically zero trash encounters. Every fight is unique, non-repeatable, and challenging.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

To be fair, the Divinity games are also very long and time consuming. So be aware of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Xanderkish posted:

Druidstone might hit this for you. It’s a hair to puzzle-y for me but it promises exactly that.