Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Corridor posted:

Sorry, got another one of these threads here, I couldn't find the previous generic Recommendation Thread. :( Someone really needs to make a sticky megathread or something, I'd start it myself if I thought anyone would use it.

Anyway, I'm looking for a good classic FPS RPG. I remember loving those things when I was a kid... they were like Doom 2 or Heretic, but you could talk to people! :aaa: Such realism was utterly mindblowing to me. I can't remember what any of them were, sadly, but they were pretty fun so I'd like some again. Older games obviously a preference, so go nuts, nostalgic nerds!

I'd also prefer single-character games since I hate having to manage a bunch of wankers instead of being able to immerse myself in one wanker, but I'll also consider a multi-char game if it's like, REALLY good, or if the characters actually have personality.

Might and Magic series seems a bit too 'fantasy' for me, with giant-boobed tavern wenches and many ugly character portraits cluttering up my nice clean interface, and I also remember World of Xeen being too hard for me. But again, if someone praises it highly enough I might give it a whirl.

I don't mind if it's grid-based instead of fully 3D. Something like Orcs And Elves would be perfect, actually.

edit: When I say classic or older games, what I mean is "something from around '95 or earlier'. poo poo I may have played when I was a kid, that used a lot of sprites and pixelly textures. SS2 or Vampire Masquerade, for example, are more recent and technologically advanced than I'm thinking of.

If you looking for modern "classic" games, have you checked out The Dark Spire ? Fantastic throwback game. Also, if you haven't played Eye of the Beholder, I had that for SNES. Never was a classic pc gamer, but it was fantastic for SNES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU