Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I know there are a great deal of good combat flight simulators out there, but are there any worthwhile combat helicopter simulators? I've enjoyed flying them in Arma 2 and to some extent BF3, but i'd love to play a game dedicated to choppers only.

Some modern graphics would be nice, but anything is of interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
rear end Creed 3 has left me with a hankering, specifically for THE HIGH SEAS!
Is there a game out there that is all about managing a ship (at sea, not FTL)in a open world in some fashion? PC only and i've played the butt out of Sid Meiers: Pirates.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Anyone know about games that are all about defence and making last stands? Maybe building barricades or bases against overwhelming odds, something like that. Welding doors would be cool.

Things i know that fit, but im not interested in:
Alien Swarm, console games, Call of Duty zombie things and towerdefence games.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Does anyone have anything for tactical turnbased squad gameplay? Something recent with ok graphics and a passable story, it's the gameplay that matters the most.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, already nerded X-Com hard, should have said that :) Will check out the others tho.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Anyone know of a game where observation is a extremly key skill? Not like a skill you press, but like you have to really have your eyes and wits about you to do good and it has a slow pace?

Games that would fit could be snipery games, games where you have to spot traps or stealth games.
Games i know that fit very well: Sniper Elite (the first one), Far Cry series, Legend of Grimrock, the Thief series, Metal Gear series and Sam Fishers elderly adventures (i cant remember the name, stealth dude with the green nightvision) hmmmmm... That's about all i can come up with now.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, Hitman series aswell. Forgot to mention! I've played a loooooooooot of games, so it might be hard to find something i havent played.
Edit: And Blood Money is insane, everyone that hasnt played it, just go do it now. It's on steam.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Also played that, sorry for being so difficult.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Eh, i've played everything! I'm just gonna go outside and look for traps and sniperspots.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Any game where you build a persistent online empire and take armies to attack other peoples empires? No Facebook games. Dawn of Fantasy was a huge dissapointment.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
A game with capable, sentient and smartish AI companions? Good AI, not good scripting (The Half-life 2 girl was really good in her little scenes, but that's scripting just to illustrate). For comparison i think the Skyrim companions are utter shite.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

pigdog posted:

Bioshock: Infinite has the best AI companion out there, but for all that effort put into her she still doesn't participate in fights.

I think what you're asking is impossible, since even flesh and bone human companions in MOBA games will appear as completely useless idiots.

Aaaaaaw, oh well, something to look forward to.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I loved Mark of the Ninja, are there any other stealth ninja games out there? Feudal Japan would be radical to stealth around in.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is there a RTS style game out there where you control the zombies for once trying to gently caress up some humans? There's one on IOS for Plague Inc. that was pretty cool, but a bit basic. And then there is that PS2 adventure game where you control a zombie trying to figure out where his old girlfriend is or something, but i didn't like it. Anything else out there? Graphics isn't THAT important aslong as its not Dwarf Fortress level of "imagine your own graphics", solid gameplay is what matters this time.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Tagra posted:

Rift is free and is pretty well polished.

Does Rift still have the population to handle the events in all the zones? I only played a few days at release, but already then the newbiezones were running out of manpower to handle the invasions.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
This is kinda marginally within the threads parameters, but here goes anyway since i couldn't find a Hearts of Iron megathread. I saw the Hearts of Iron 4 gameplay premiere vid (here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxGNpPz_W2A ) and thought "holy poo poo i need this". Should i check out the previous games?

I enjoy some Paradox titles, specially Crusader Kings 2, but i don't want to be bogged down in endless menus either which as far as i can see is the main HoI complaint. Can someone recommend the previous titles, or should i wait for 4 which seems a fair bit more streamlined?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Cheers!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Anything for recent PC RTS/Strategy games where you can pause and issue orders/etc? Just came off a Starcraft binge and i'm tired of the twitch gameplay and micromanagement, not that there can't be any micromanagement in the games you suggest, i enjoy micro/macro, i just want the ability to do them while paused and think about things.

No turnbased games and no Paradox titles (played them all).

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I got Pillars of Eternity solely because a game generating such a thread shitfest has to be interesting. It was. Thanks for the sperg lol and thanks for the suggestions.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I bought a Saitek Joystick + HOTAS setup to play Elite: Dangerous with and it's rad as gently caress, too bad the game is shallow and boring, albeit very pretty. Can someone recommend games where i could make full use of this setup?

Recent (cause i like pretty graphics)
Not ArmA (cause i've played it and i have no friends to play online with)
Not Star Citizen (lol)
Not Microsoft Flight Sim (see next sentence)
Not a "here's a plane, there's a vast open world, go make your own game" type of game, i need clear goals and meaningful things to do or i lose interest almost instantly.

Other than that it can be pretty much anything i think.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
RTS games or similar about destroying humanity as a non-human source? There's something really cathartic about decimating all we know and hold dear and laughing amidst the rubble.

Stuff like Grey Goo and the C&C3 Scrin campaign is what i'm talking about.

Must be a PC game
Not more than say 10ish years old
Not Universe Sandbox and stuff like that, a actual game
Not painfully obvious classics like say Dungeon Keeper or whatever

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

willus posted:

there's something called uhh, I want to say etherium? that is in the middle of a free week on steam. I haven't actually looked at it yet but it seems like a Sci Fi rts so it probably has humans you can destroy.

10 seconds of looking at the steam page says more than 50% of users think the game is bad and it's a multiplayer title, thanks for the input tho D:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Zaphod42 posted:

Play as the Zerg in Starcraft / SC2? :shrug:

If you're willing to go out of RTS genre there's some options but within RTS its just gonna be like, C&C and SC and other painfully obvious classics.

What do you have outside RTS?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I'm hankering for a top down tactical police/special policing forces game that you can pause and issue orders in or is turnbased, has something like this been done good the last few years? I can't handle old graphics cause i'm a giant bitch.

I've played Doorkickers and it was kinda fun, but i thought it was a bit arcadey.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Only thing similar thats semi-new I can think of is Frozen Synapse.

Ah yeah. i really enjoyed that game too.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Then i will patiently wait!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Any good games about building/sieging a castle outside of the Stronghold series i might have missed over the years? Anything after ca 2005 is good graphical vise.

Actually, it doesn't really have to be a castle, i just like building something elaborate and then having to defend it/attack stuff like it.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
What kinda games are there that are based on the Supreme Commander formula that follow it closely/are good, but aren't older than Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance?

I tried and didn't like Supreme Commander 2, Planetary Annihilation and Ashes of the Singularity.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Are there any good games like This War of Mine? Where you have a base, scavenge to survive and gently caress over people for your benefit, preferably with the ability to save and load tho. State of Decay for instance is a good example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Have there been made anymore mafia management games like Gangsters: Organized Crime? Not the Godfather games & Omerta: City of Gangsters, actual management/strategy games where the combat isn't the main gameplay core.

edit: remembered and added the name of Omerta CoG

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 25, 2018