Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I'm looking for some recommendations in the Space Strategy genre.

Specifically I'd be interested to hear some goon reviews on the following games that I'm looking at:

Sins of the Solar Empire
Sword of the Stars
Sword of the Stars II
Star Wolves
Starpoint Gemini
Endless Space
Stellar Impact
Star Ruler
Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
Gratuitous Space Battles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Can you goons recommend me some of the good Minecraft-likes? I already have Terraria and Don't Starve. I'm considering stuff like FortressCraft Evolved, Castleminer Z, Block Story etc.

ideas?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I wouldn't normally suggest Factorio in response to this question since it's not actually that much like Minecraft, but Don't Starve is even less like Minecraft, so... if you liked building automated factories in Minecraft, especially with some of the popular mod packs, Factorio is like those but much more coherent and balanced. On the other hand if you're in it for the exploring and seeing new landscapes and finding treasure then stay away.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Starmade or Space Engineers are both similar ideas of game focused spaceship and space station construction.

Tagra posted:

7 Days to Die is basically Minecraft survival mode with better zombies and more point to the base building.

Thanks, I'll check these out.

What about good Minecraft-likes with that voxel block style?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Evilreaver posted:

If you're ever playing a minecraft-like and not playing 7 Days To Die, you're wasting the fleeting time you have on this earth that you could be spending on 7 Days and having a good time

Not sure what you mean by this. If you mean 'pixelated block' or 'cube-based' then 7 Days is both cube-based (with a very clever terrain engine), and if you set the graphics to Eighth-Sized Textures you get the N64 crap-texture experience.

I feel like I can't even keep track of all the survival crafting games in early access that I've been waiting years to be released. The Long Dark, The Forest, Subnautica, Stranded Deep, H1Z1, DayZ, Rust, Miscreated, Conan Exiles, Hellion, Ark, 7 Days to Die, etc.

So, out of all of these, 7 Days to Die is the best?

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 29, 2017

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Hmm, ok well I'll check it out. I watched an IGN review for it on youtube which was pretty harsh, but the review was a year old and there were a few other newer ones that seemed more positive, so I assume it's gotten a lot better.

Evilreaver posted:

Not sure what you mean by this. If you mean 'pixelated block' or 'cube-based' then 7 Days is both cube-based (with a very clever terrain engine), and if you set the graphics to Eighth-Sized Textures you get the N64 crap-texture experience.

Ah, yeah, I didn't know the vernacular for it but that's basically what I meant.

My understanding of what made Minecraft so attractive was that it was basically Lego's: The Video Game. And as anyone who played with Legos when they were a kid knows, they might as well be made of crack. With Minecraft it feels like it wasn't just that you could build these vast structures, it was that the blocks allowed an incredible degree of creative flexibility in the construction so that one could actually visualize the structure and how you wanted it to be built in a "brick by brick" way. The blocks certainly aren't as pretty but they're different than just combining the appropriate crafting materials in a menu so that you can summon a highly detailed but basically already complete object.

I'm not sure if that makes any sense? Based on what you said it does sound like 7 Days has the same "brick by brick" block crafting mechanic, with the only difference being that the "brick" graphics are more detailed?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Can you goons recommend me some spaceship games?

I already have Rebel Galaxy.

I'm thinking of getting one of the Starpoint Gemini games, but which one, if any, should I get?

I'm also thinking of getting Drox Operative, but I'm not sure about that one either...thoughts?

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 3, 2017

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Looking for some last minute RPG/Dungeon Crawler recommendations before the sale ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

HairyManling posted:

I'm looking for something to coop with my daughter that I can get through PSN. We've played BroForce and Nuclear Throne that we both liked - so something like that that's easy to drop in. She's nine though, so NT was a little too tough for her. Any recommendations?

tastychicken posted:

What about the Trine Trilogy? It's pretty, and challenging. Like playing a Bob Ross painting.

Let me know if you need that, Hairy.