Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Interested in suggestions for a turn-based strategy game suitable for multiplayer with friends. Bonus points if you can run a server that will happily process turns at any time.

Age of Wonders III is an excellent game with asynchronous multi-player support. It's a good game on its own, but if you're looking at the DLC, the second expansion is much more, uh, expansive than the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

mrfreeze posted:

So anyone have any suggestions for a good short PC game with an interesting plot? I'm thinking something along the lines of "The Beginners Guide" or "Undertale" that can be gotten through in a couple of sittings but has something about it that really stands out and grabs you. An interesting story matters most to me at the moment.

I would recommend SUPERHOT for its gameplay first, but I found the story compelling, if minimalistic. It's only a couple hours long. Might not be exactly what you're looking for.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Terraria is 2d Minecraft, so that might be fun.

Total War - Warhammer has a fully co-op campaign. It is turn-based strategy with real-time tactical combat. An incredibly fun and addictive game. I have only played the single player and competitive multi-player but I've heard positive things about the co-op campaign. There is a ton of DLC, but the base game has hundred of hours of gameplay.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Evilreaver posted:

What was your thought process with this post

I was recommending Minecraft. The wording is a little clunky, admittedly.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Trillest Parrot posted:

My girlfriend and I have been playing a lot of Dr. Mario and Tetris Attack lately. What are some other good co-op/vs. puzzle games we can play together?

Puzzle Fighter.
Lumines.
Puyo Puyo Tetris :japan: (disk only, but it's region free). English versions out in April.
Tetris Battle Gaiden :japan: :filez:

The latter two are Japanese only, but you don't have to understand the language to play puzzle games. That's the beauty of puzzle games!

PS, you have excellent taste. Tetris Attack is one of the greatest games of all time.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 9, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Who What Now posted:

What are some of the must haves for the PS4 right now? I got $60 in PS gift cards and don't know what to get. I already have RE7, FF XV, Uncharted 4, Last of Us, and Bloodborne. Is there anything else that are crazy amazing good or should I save my gift cards for stuff coming down the line?

Depends. Do you mean console only? I have heard hot stuff about Yakuza & Nioh.

Otherwise, I highly recommend the Witness, DOOM, titanfall 2, nuclear throne.

The Witness is something else.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I have severe chronic pain that often prevents me from using my right hand for repetitive motions.

I'm looking for games that I can play using only the mouse, or, if using a controller, without having to use the left and right halves of the controller simultaneously. Good examples are things like HOMM3 and The Witness (it's a little awkward but I manage).

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Really Pants posted:

Do you like point & click adventures?

I do not, sorry. They would be a good suggestion otherwise.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Unbelievably White posted:

Crypt of the Necrodancer can be played with the arrow keys alone, if you are okay with using your left hand. It can also be played with the four colored buttons of a 360 controller, which could be manageable with your left hand if you put the left shoulder button in your palm and use your thumb.

Great suggestion! I love crypt of the necrodancer, and with that new expansion it should feel fresh.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

widespread posted:

For some reason, I've been wanting a game with a "fun" grind. Like, basically, numbers go up and it feels good. But at the same time, I want something more than clickers.

Do you like loot games? Diablo 3, The Division, Destiny, Marvel 2015 are all popular and fun. Terraria has a lot of grind. Darkest Dungeon is good and real grindy, but not in that exact "numbers go up and it feels good" way.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Yeah a couple of hundred hours worth and the other two. I guess I'm looking for more like Dragon's Dogma and Kingdoms of Amalur - which aren't great AAA titles but they're good enough.

How hard is Final Fantasy to get into if I want to try out one of the more recent ones without playing through two dozen earlier games?

Final Fantasy is easy enough to get into. It's a lot of people's first RPGs! Final Fantasy IV was the first RPG I ever played. But as mentioned, they are pretty linear JRPG experiences. Not much like Amalur or Dragons Dogma.

Good Final Fantasy games to start with are V, VI, or XV. The other ones can be fun, but they have just -loads- of exposition and the graphics and/or voice acting have not aged well.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Fruits of the sea posted:

For some reason I feel like playing an RTS. Something with a fun and varied campaign mode. I've played and enjoyed the Blizzard games in the past, and most of the C&C games. I guess this genre is kind of dead now? Older games are fine too.

The original Company of Heroes is still the peak of the genre IMO.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Convexed posted:

I'm on a 7hr flight to New York next week and would like to get stuck into a meaty game on my iPad. My favoured genres are RPGs, turn based strategies and adventure games. (All games that lend themselves well to touchscreen.)

I've been out of the loop for a while on the gaming scene, but have previously enjoyed The Banner Saga, FTL and Xcom.

I'm using a second generation iPad Air, so has to be fairly low-fi in terms of graphics.

King of Dragon Pass might fit the bill. Such an amazing game. There's nothing quite like it.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

EightDeer posted:

Which of this list of games should I play next?

Shogun II or Darkest Dungeon or your choice of geneforge. I've heard only superlatives about endless legend but having never played it i can't recommend it in good faith

Catalina, Saints Row the Third might be up your alley. Still mayhem and violence, but with an emphasis on joyful absurdity rather than grit. Fwiw I couldn't stand GTA V but loved SR3 and 4.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 26, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Darkest Dungeon. Total War - Warhammer might be a good fit - depends on whether you consider it a 4x or not (it's much more tightly focused on battle). The Witness is excellent and almost entirely silent. I found myself concentrating so intensely on the puzzles I didn't want to listen to podcasts or music, though. I burned through a lot of podcasts during side missions playing MGSV but it doesn't sound like what you're asking for

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
My favorite "create your own party" rpg is Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor, which is old, ugly, broken beyond belief, and only for PC. It's also an insanely fun game where you can take a party of laser-gun wielding liches to heaven and gun down angels in cold blood. Just don't fall off!

I don't know if I can honestly recommend it- my love for it is based off many wasted childhood summers with my friend. But I wanted to bring it up.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

credburn posted:

What's the best tower defense game that is single player and contains some kind of...RPG stuff? I don't know. I like the feeling of arbitrary stat progression.

Note: I haven't really played a tower defense game since like, games my friends and I would set up in Warcraft 2 and play over the bing bing bong krrssh modem LET IT RING DON'T PICK IT UP MOM

Immortal Defense is a really good tower defense game.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Flopstick posted:

Funnest twin stick shooters on PC? Ideally I'd like Super Stardust HD but that doesn't seem to be an option. I did try Housemarques new one instead, but I didn't like it much.

If you don't mind a bit of roguelike in your twin stick shooter, check out Nuclear Throne. Enter the Gungeon is not half bad, either.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

metasynthetic posted:

Can anyone recommend me some non violent / peaceful games for the PS4? Apart from Journey and Minecraft.

The Witness.

The Talos Principle is also excellent but I prefer The Witness.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Teleglitch is an aesthetic triumph, in my opinion. In screenshots it looks ugly as sin, and it is. But in motion it's grotesquely beautiful. It's the only game I've ever played that hits the same button for me as harsh, abstract techno, like Jam City or shxcxchcxs.

The way gunfire makes the lighting strobe and the 'crt' ghost out as the viewpoint spins around you is fantastic.

It's actually the exact opposite of 'organic' feeling - it's deliberately alienating and artificial, low-fi to the point of almost complete abstraction. It's so drat cool though.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

on the other hand when a game shouts in my face that it doesn't want me to play it, i'm inclined to oblige

I don't understand what you mean.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
OK, I see what you're getting at. Teleglitch is an extreme game that tries to be alienating, harsh, and ugly. As such, I can't blame anyone for being pushed away. I happen to think it works for Teleglitch - the ugliness is purposeful. It means you have to dial in completely to parse the game. You can die at any second to something you can barely see. This sounds like the worst game design ever, but it has a purpose - to give the player a sense of dread, to ratchet up the tension. To play the game at all, you have to be on constant alert. Totally wired in. This can be draining but I find it exhilarating.

It's a very deliberately designed game, and the art style is so much more than just 'ugly faux-retro'. I guess I just wish it had more recognition. There's nothing quite like Teleglitch.

But if you don't like it you don't like it. There's a good reason most games don't look like Teleglitch.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Boz0r posted:

My nephew is turning 5 soon, and I've made a RetroPie for him. Which games should I put on it that won't beat his rear end too hard? He's never tried any consoles before.

Kirby games are a good choice. They were deliberately designed as platformers that would be accessible to children (that's why he can fly!) Kirby 3 or Super Star are both good choices.

Super Mario World was my introduction to video games.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
FF13 is a straight line for over 25 hours before it opens up. If you want exploration it is maybe the worst possible game to suggest.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Destiny?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

bewilderment posted:

I need cool PC games that I can play while my girlfriend watches and enjoys them. I think I posted in this thread before but whatevs I need more recommendations.

DOOM (2016) might work. Considering your girlfriend seems to enjoy VTM - Bloodlines, she might appreciate the po-faced insanity of DOOM's plot. The action is blistering fast. and a ton of fun to watch, speaking personally. It's just so METAL. It is also, IMO, the best shooter in at least a decade, maybe longer.

HITMAN (2016) is a good choice, too. It's got a great sense of humor and fantastic writing, and there's lots of creativity & variety in the gameplay; it feels like a game designed for an audience.

Reaching back a little farther, Mass Effect 2 might work; it's an RPG with high production values & a lot of the menu busywork stripped out. If she likes campy horror, Resident Evil 4 is a classic for a reason.

Ed:

Wolfenstein: The New Order seems like a perfect fit. The plot is great, with fantastic characterization; it's a gorgeous game, and the action has got some real flair to it.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 3, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

What was the consensus on the better game: saints row 3 or 4? I think the original question was what had the better open world/rpg elements to it but I'll take any advice. They're like $3 today so I probably should just buy both

I liked 4 better.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Heroes of might and Magic III is still the gold standard of hotseat multi-player, as far as I'm concerned.

It's remarkably accessible for a decades-old turn-based strategy game.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

exotarih posted:

Are there any cool, recent, (very) grindy games around? Preferably turn-based, since I currently only have one arm at my disposal ...

I don't mind ASCII, terminal-based games, etc.

Darkest dungeon.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
This might be too obvious, but what about The Witness?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Whale Cancer posted:

4.) Something fun and amusing that I dont have to devote hours to and I can just sit down and play for 20-30 min at a time and have fun.

Dead Cells!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Contradiction is a fun FMV mystery game set in a small English village. The gameplay revolves and finding clues and spotting inconsistencies in what suspects / witnesses say.

Contradiction is charming as all hell. It's a little rough, but it feels like a labor of love.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

I like Duskers but I don't think it really counts. There's a very light scripting element that mostly serves as (very effective) stylistic element, but it's not really 'programming'.

Great game, though.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Downs Duck posted:

I don't, but thought I'd ask how that one is different from other MOBAs, if much. Just thinking if there's a well balanced game mentioned here, maybe it'll spin off some thoughts about other game genres that are too.

HOTS is more casual than other MOBAs (casual being a relative term - it's still a very involved, teamwork heavy game with MOBA community). Character roles and customization are more streamlined than DOTA or LOL, and the games are shorter and more focused on team fights rather than gaining gold and experience leads through 'laning' and 'jungling'. I found it approachable where other MOBAs were not, but I haven't played it in about a year and I know it's changed substantially since then.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Chas McGill posted:

Looking for a PC RPG/adventure game where it's fun to explore and you feel like you're part of a larger world. Being able to make your own character is pretty important - that's why I could never get into the Witcher games. I've played Fallout, TES, Divinity, and Mount & Blade already.

I was looking at Kenshi but its recent reviews and its unfinished state are a bit off-putting.

Dark Souls might be too obvious, but it could be a good fit. It's famous for it's sense of exploration and deeply interconnected world, and there's a lot of options for character customization and build variety.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Simsmagic posted:

I'm looking for a low-intensity, non-competitive game that I can drop in and out of without too much commitment. Something along the lines of Animal Crossing where you can just hop in, do some chores and leave whenever. I'm not really interested in farming games like Stardew Valley or Harvest Moon because I already have my fill of those, and I'd like something even slower paced than that if it makes sense.

Do you like puzzle games?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Nier Automata is the game where you play as a hot robot french maid with a giant sword that floats behind her back. That's like Peak Anime.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
DOOM, Nuclear Throne.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Unreal_One posted:

Heroes 3 is still widely regarded as the best in that series, I think, and has an HD release.

Don't get Heroes 3 HD. It's a poor port that locks you out of both of the game's expansions and the random map generator.

Instead, buy the version from GOG and get this free high-res patch

It's on sale for $2.50 right now and it's easily one of the best games of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Nordick posted:

Heroes 3, as said, is still great with the expansions. Heroes 5 is great too.

What's really shameful, though, is that nobody's recommended Age of Wonders 3 yet. Because that game is goddamn fantastic.

AOW3 is fantastic. The expansions are good too, especially the second one.