Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
I'm looking for a strategy-RPG where you control a hero with DOTA/HoN sort of controls.

I want the game to have a lot of hero options when it comes to customization and hopefully items. I've had enough of Warcraft 3, so I'm almost looking for a more modern replacement, although I don't need the exact formula. I don't really care if it's RTS or turn-based with real-time combat, or if there's a storyline. Development, expansion and controlling an army are definitely interests too.

Think I'd enjoy the latest Might and Magic game? What about SpellForce 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Any recommendations for a good multiplayer game that's not just an "everyone has a machine gun FPS"?

I've been playing Chivalry: Medieval Warfare and having tons of fun with it, but there's not a whole lot to it after a while. I'm not even totally against guns, but I'm trying to avoid the overdone settings and the small maps etc. It doesn't have to be FPS either! Stuff like Dota and Smite totally grab me but been there done that.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Liberatore posted:

If you've played Global Agenda, FireFall's PvP is pretty much more of that. Still lots of guns, but they tend to be more unique, with the added element of vertical movement and other elements. I don't like the setting myself (the characters look godawful stupid) but the gameplay is decent enough.

I second Mount & Blade: Warband as well; I haven't played MP in a while so I don't know how popular it still is, but it's pretty drat fun. The Napoleonic Wars DLC in particular grabbed me for much longer than Chivalry did, thanks to much more interesting (and bigger) maps, cavalry, cannons and so on. Standard Warband MP is not bad either, and I'm guessing cRPG is still popular if you want some kind of progression/customization system.

Guns of Icarus Online, which I haven't played myself, looks to be an extremely unique competitive MP experience.

I'm guessing you're not interested in co-op, but that is where a lot of different concepts for MP can be found.

I only ever got into the single player with M&B, so maybe cRPG and Napoleonic Wars deserve a shot. cRPG sounds pretty cool especially for its progression like you're saying, I'm just worried it's dated or dead.

And I'd love an exception, but MMO PvP always seems tacked on and lovely. Open world PvP should be the poo poo but it never is, and then of course there's the balance issues and grindy power gaps.

I'll report back, I might find something good from the Steam sale too.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
I haven't played Towns myself but Gnomoria is a cool game. Unless you're looking for an actual town to build, because you build a ton of different stuff but it's mostly one big cave complex with terrain manipulation and a bunch of things going on above ground. It sounds like what you want, so I'd say try it out and see if you like it. They have a demo that gets into everything except for the combat, which you can disable in the full game too by the way.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Smornstein posted:

I've had a Diablo itch recently that Torchlight 2 just doesn't scratch is Diablo 3 REALLY that bad?

If you have a console, then chances are you'd love the poo poo out of console D3. You heard complaints because, in my opinion, people had unrealistic expectations and too much nostalgia. It's the only game I've ever watched all my friends put 100 hours into then hop on a "that game sucks" bandwagon.

The combat was always fun, it's the best of any ARPG by far. The story isn't amazing but all you need is a little lore for the New Area -> Kill Boss stuff, which there's more of than TL2.

And what pushes it into the fun category is that console versions have an overhauled loot system with a drop rate that isn't tuned to millions of players' items flooding into the AH. You can basically ball out of control in SP/Co-Op.

vv Yeah, pretty much all that.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 9, 2013

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

SmokeyXIII posted:

I've decided that I want to play an RPG that has no (or limited) leveling, no (or limited) builds/talents, and limited focus on itemization. Think playing through Diablo 3 as Ryu from Street Fighter. Something along those lines anyways. It doesn't necessarily have to be side scroll, or 3d or whatever. Just some game where you take a preset character on an adventure, and maybe collect some new hats on the way.

What about Skyrim? You gain levels but they go up based on getting better at whatever you use, and everything in the game matches your level so it's like they only exist on paper. You don't go out of your way for itemization and it's not a focal point of the game. There are builds I guess too, but you can play the game by just picking up whatever you trip over and using it to fight your way through the world.

To suggest a side-scroller, Rogue Legacy is a cool game. It's literally taking a preset character on an adventure every time you play. You have to pick between a couple random setups and delve into a dungeon until you die. Rinse, repeat, and pick up some new hats along the way at a good, slow pace instead of picking-up-all-the-loot. There's not much of a story though.

And both KOTORs have auto-level buttons that build every character (including yours) according to how they're developed by the story. I think they have optimize equipment buttons too. Just throwing that out there in case you mean heavy-story adventure, I wasn't really sure.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
The Embermage in Torchlight 2 has a passive ability that causes random spell effects on hit with auto-attack and some select spells as well. It's especially cool because the proc effects are unique to that ability. So it spawns stuff like tornadoes and spikes falling from the sky as you attack with dual-wield wands or jack up your cast speed and launch a bunch of mini-fireballs at everything.

It's what you're looking for, but probably to a lesser extent than BG2. Look into it though, there might even be mods that expand on the idea or make a new class around it.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

pigdog posted:

Oh, and the biggest positive surprise recently was Game of Thrones RPG. It's got pretty bad reviews, but its shortcomings are exactly the superficial kind I didn't care about. Story and gameplay were quite good.

Seriously? I've barely heard a thing at all about this game let alone anything positive. What would you compare the gameplay to? I imagined something truly terrible like a shittier version of MMO combat with no depth.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Project1 posted:

What MMO is most like City of Heroes in gameplay mechanics, if not specifically superhero? I'm referring specifically to being fun to play even as a casual player, don't need specific dynamics in groups, fun even when solo, and travelling is fast and not terribly boring.

Preferably free, but I'll look at pay games. Likewise, I'd prefer it to not be fantasy, but I'll look at those.

You might check out Age of Wushu. It's one of those games that's really fun when you're a casual player just getting into it. It's free to try. You pretty much either fast travel or auto-run everywhere, even quest locations. Group dynamics are exactly what you want and there are a bunch of mini-dungeons that can be done with 2 or 3 people and eventually even solo.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Do any more RPGs have combat like Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, Mount & Blade and Dark Souls?

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

I'm looking for a single player RPG with MMO style combat, meaning real-time turn-based via global cooldown.

In other words, I'm looking for something with a WoW-style combat system and philosophy where you can build a character, then think up complex cast orders to achieve max speed and efficiency, and where positioning can be important depending on the situation.

Ultimately I'd prefer a game with a WoW or Dark Souls style third person camera view, but I'm open to other options.

Have you played Dragon Age? It's like controlling four MMO characters at once and you get a pause button. So you're positioning and managing cooldowns for a party with traditional roles like healers, tanks, rogues, mages and more.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
:wtc:

That looks incredible. It seems like a 10 year jump over the next-gen FPS launch titles.

edit- and that's not even falling for the marketing hype and buzzwords

Coldstone Cream-my-pants fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 11, 2014

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
If you liked Rogue Legacy then you'd probably enjoy Risk of Rain quite a bit. Personally I like it way more than Rogue Legacy, which I played a lot and enjoyed.

Guacamelee too. People were freaking out about it for most of the Winter Sale thread.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
If you have a 3DS then Fire Emblem is a strategy JRPG that's drat good and fits all your criteria. You pick battles from a map and always have lots of choices. They're grid-based with some awesome mechanics but they don't take too long. Each character ends up being very specialized too. Just when you think your flying unit isn't pulling its weight and is way too squishy you hop over some terrain and trivialize a scenario.

I should play it again now that I finished the Bravely Default demo. (Which is great but has random battles.)

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Are there any WW1 or trench warfare RTS games?

I reinstalled Company of Heroes and I always have fun playing the game wrong and building up huge standstills on either sides of a bridge and poo poo. Seems like a WW1 setting would really lend itself to that sort of gameplay. Maybe it's just me but I think a game where you spend the buildup phase carving out a trench line and taking potshots with artillery would own.

I definitely don't want some lovely tower defense game though just because it has WW1 models.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

There aren't many WW1 games and what there are is mostly flying games. There's a few strategy games but they're on a bigger, country-wide level, not really trench warfare. There's apparently a trench warfare rts game for iOS although it looks kinda lovely.
Valiant Hearts just came out and is amazing and is all about trench warfare, but its an adventure / puzzle game.

Oh wait this is perfect for you: http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-great-war-1918

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?157509-WW1-Great-War-1918-Mod-UPDATED-30th-May-*British-War-Machine

That actually doesn't look half bad, may have to try it out myself. There's a few pretty good Company of Heroes mods.

Nice yeah I looked at a few CoH mods but none of them seemed that extensive. Could be good!

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

There aren't many WW1 games and what there are is mostly flying games. There's a few strategy games but they're on a bigger, country-wide level, not really trench warfare. There's apparently a trench warfare rts game for iOS although it looks kinda lovely.
Valiant Hearts just came out and is amazing and is all about trench warfare, but its an adventure / puzzle game.

Oh wait this is perfect for you: http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-great-war-1918

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?157509-WW1-Great-War-1918-Mod-UPDATED-30th-May-*British-War-Machine

That actually doesn't look half bad, may have to try it out myself. There's a few pretty good Company of Heroes mods.

This mod is cool. It comes with its own maps so everything's trenched out and it makes some good changes so that it's not just a more boring CoH. Thanks for pointing it out.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

I was thinking about a game with total MMO combat though, like with a hotbar and an underlying auto-attack system and everything. Also with an open world and an emphasis on exploring it. Amalur has the open world thing going for it, but not the combat. Amalur's combat is good, but not really MMO.

Thank you for the recommendation though!

Dragon Age 1 is good, it's like controlling an MMO party. The combat is exactly the auto-attack hotbar stuff you're looking for. No seamless open world but there are a lot of big zones you have to explore and major cities too.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Penakoto posted:

What are some current-gen games where leveling up is particularly fun and eventful? Lots of points to allocate, things like perks or new abilities to choose from, lots of ways to specialize your character, etc etc.

Been playing a lot of games recently where leveling up has been nothing but a fixed stat upgrade and a health bar refill, now I'm craving something where I spend a good several minutes per level up, weighing my options and planning things out.

Why not go turn-based and get that many more choices thrown at you for controlling multiple characters? Divinity: Original Sin will probably shut the book on what you're looking for. You control a party of four and there are no set classes. It's dense.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

DiHK posted:

Me and a buddy will often play Risk:Factions on his xbox 360, and I'd like to get something along the same lines, but more complex, for us to play together. I would look for this myself but I don't have an xbox/don't know where to look.

Do you mean something you can both play at the same time?

LordHippoman posted:

I've been playing lots of Diablo 2/3 and Marvel Heroes lately, any of that sort of ARPG out for the 3DS? DS games would work too, of course.

There's a 3DS game called Heroes of Ruin that is exactly that type of game. If that's really the type of game you're set on then go for it, but to me it lacked that little bit of charm that goes a long way with those games. There might be more by now, I'm not sure. You can also probably get it cheap. Personally I love those games too but I had more fun with the hits like Fire Emblem and Bravely Default which are still RPGs.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 24, 2014

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

DiHK posted:

PvP Grand Strategy preferably, tactical stuff is ok too. Something along the lines of Heroes of Might and Magic or Axis and Allies would be pretty spot on. He is really into tower defense stuff but co-op tower defense strikes me as dull.

Risk:Factions is a good match for us because you can randomize territory assignment and you can load in 3 mostly predictable AI opponents. This effectively cocks-up a game that we've individually mastered since age 12, providing some freshness and challenge. However, it's still Risk ffs. And we've been at it once a week or so for a few months now.

There's a wealth of FPS co-op we could play but we're both armchair generals and I'm not fond of split screen.

A lot of stuff won't work in local multiplayer because you're both sitting there staring at each other's moves on the screen. So while you think there'd be a lot there just isn't. Carcassonne is another board game that has what your'e looking for, sort of. I'm just not sure it has the AI during versus, which could be a big deal. Like I said it only really works because you don't hide cards or units or anything from your opponents, which precludes a lot of board/strategy games from doing local multi even if they're turn based.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

Are there any good space flight/dogfight games, preferably for 360? I wanna be Han Solo, basically.

Check out DarkStar One and Project Sylpheed

Edit- I guess they're pretty old games, but I don't know of that many. Battlefront 2 had some space stuff as well for some actual Star Wars dogfighting. I think it had space missions and ships integrated into the bots/multiplayer.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 28, 2014

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

itsjustdrew posted:

Can someone recommend a decent time sink? looking for something to just get lost in and have fun.

Since you got a lot out of Bethesda RPGs I'll tell you to go get Divinity: Original Sin right now.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
I'm really into Age of Wonders 3 right now and I'm wondering about playing some other games like it. So what's good in terms of 4x/rpg that has actual combat instead of simming it on the world map?

I think a fictional setting makes things more interesting as far as races, units, and RPG type stuff goes. I have HoMM6 but didn't even finish one map. I might give it another shot but the combat wasn't satisfying and it didn't feel like much of a 4x to me. What else is out there that's at least semi-recent?

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

I kind of want to play a first person shooter that's procedurally generated and has a lot of cool skills to pick up. What do you guys have?

E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy, if you can deal with Source Engine. I'm not sure if it's procedurally generated but it has open levels and random enemies and stuff.

NovaLion posted:

I have two requests I'd love to get some help with.

First, I'm trying to find a coop game for my wife and I. We have PS3 and a 360 we'd like to stick with (big hd tv is more fun than separate pc's). We've played through Dungeon Siege 3 and Dragon Crown. Both of those were good picks for us. She doesn't really enjoy FPS's and vs. type games aren't her thing either.

Second, I've been on an RPG kick lately. My favorites have been the Mass Effect series, Kotor 1/2, stuff like that. Any ideas where I could go from here?

Diablo 3? Surprised nobody else said it. Saw someone mention Sacred 2 when D3 is, imho, better in every way.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Tweak posted:

How Diablo-clicky is Divinity? I have a road trip coming up and want a couple more Steam titles to play on my Surface Pro 2 when I'm not driving, but I don't exactly have a lot of mouse real estate. Are there any other good recommendations for something on Steam I can play with at least not-twitchy mouse controls/controller support? I've been playing a lot of FTL lately, but assuming I don't throw my surface out the window after a particularly bad beat I'd like something to transition to. Strategy/RPG maybe?

Age of Wonders 3 is Strategy/RPG. It's turn-based and you can play it on your own terms with just a mouse. I play it through my iPad sometimes and it works really well, so it's probably similar on a Surface. Now would also be a great time to get hooked on it because there's an expansion due out in a few weeks.

Divinity: Original Sin is a great game but it has a lot of reading and dialogue and is pretty slow overall. Just everyone bear that in mind if your favorite RPGs are Diablo and Dark Souls. That being said it's been a good recommendation every time.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
To the stamp collector guy: Pocket Frogs, Tiny Tower Vegas, and maybe something like Clash of Clans or the new Star Wars game with the same deal. Might have heard of them though, they're phone games. Oh have you played Hearthstone? It's a good game with card collecting.

To the streamer co-op guy: Not sure how down you are for MMOs but ArcheAge launches for free on Tuesday.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Super Smash Bros just came out too didn't it?

Is The Forest cool? I'm looking for a game that lets me build a base that I have to defend. I want to control a character directly, and ideally don't want to be the only person around. Are any of them good for that? Not interested in the game where you get a wooden wall up and you're never in danger again.

Life is Feudal hit Steam recently and that looks a lot like what I want. Pretty high price tag to go in blind though.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 4, 2014

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Tagra posted:

My dream game is ~2-4 player WoW raids where we can experience the challenge of a highly scripted and well coordinated boss battle without the horrors of herding 10-25 retarded teammates who are hoping to freeload through the fight while watching TV then scoop loot and run.

FORCED is pretty close, but the network issues really put a damper on it. Borderlands 2 actually has some pretty awesome optional bosses but it just wasn't deep or balanced enough, especially when you finally win and the loot tables are rear end. (Just started playing the pre-sequel now and hoping they stepped it up, though). Gauntlet is pretty sweet, but doesn't have the big boss raid feel.

I think the closest so far has been Diablo 3 and defeating Malthael and Soul of Evil on T6 to get on the seasonal leaderboard. That was awesome but there were only the two of them and now we're done :smith:

Wait is Forced actually a good game? I tried the demo sometime in the last year and I got the impression it was a hot garbage MOBA.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Wezlar posted:

I want to play an RPG with a good storyline for PC. Nothing first or third person. I've already played all the infinity engine games numerous times and I don't really want to play anything that looks incredibly outdated.

Umm, Divinity Original Sin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Valicious posted:

Need a suggestion for a game!

I'm a the Surface Pro 2, and I'm looking for a game that can be controlled with the touchscreen alone.
I'm open to any genre really. Good touchscreen games for windows have completely eluded me.

Age of Wonders 3 is awesome on a tablet.