Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Are there any games on PC where you can just hang out and look at some dinosaurs? My 3 year old is fully in the grasp of dinomania and loves Walking with Dinosaurs and stuff like that, but I think he'd like something we can set the pace of a bit more.

We've tried creative mode on No Man's Sky which he likes a lot so something like that with actual dinosaurs instead of procedurally generated monstrosities that sometimes look like dinosaurs would be ideal. No player violence - dino on dino action is fine but the player should be a passive observer as much as possible.

I'm fine with older games / emulation if need be, although controller support is preferred as I'd probably be streaming it to the big TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Oh cool, I think I might have that (Ark) as an Epic freebie. Thinking about it I'm pretty sure I also have Jurassic World Evolution which might be another good candidate

edit: The Isle sounds interesting but given the focus is horror I might have to check out some gameplay videos to make sure the presentation of it is toddler-appropriate in sandbox mode. Thanks for the recommendations!

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 7, 2021

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Ah, I just went off the description on Steam which called it a "gritty, open-world survival horror game". I'll tinker with the ones I have for now and keep it as a backup option

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

External Organs posted:

Not dinosaurs but what about like, Pokemon snap?

It's got the non-violence although if I remember it rightly you're on rails so don't really get to explore at your own pace. Definitely going to keep it in mind for future games the kiddo might enjoy though, thanks!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Funktor posted:

I'd love a game that feels like Solstice from the NES. Preferably Roguelite but I'm interested in anything in that sort of isometric puzzle platformer vein.

Not roguelite but the Monument Valley games and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker do the isometric puzzle platformer thing.

Have you played Equinox on the SNES? It's the sequel to Solstice, the theme tune doesn't rock nearly so hard though

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Did you ever play Rollcage back on the PS1? There's a spiritual successor called Grip, I've only played a small amount but it seems pretty fun. Also it's on sale now for £4

edit: and Shine is correct

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 23, 2021

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Cicero posted:

Anyone know if there's a 'best' Borderlands for splitscreen coop if I'm on a PS5? Will be playing with my ten year old son and he'll probably play with friends too.

Borderlands 2 is generally thought to be the "best" all round by fans of the series, but if you're only bothered about how it plays I'd just jump to 3 as they've refined the gameplay and made drops better with each successive release. BL3 co op apparently had some technical issues on PS4 but as far as I can tell the additional power of the PS5 solved them.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Haha I almost added a caveat that you will definitely find people who claim that each of the Borderlands is the best one and that anyone who claims otherwise is insane.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I don't have anything in the dragon / fantasy style but the Just Cause games (particularly 3 and 4) and Batman Arkham City / Origins / Knight have open worlds that you can fly around and then dive down to the ground and absolutely ruin some guy's day

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Engaging moment to moment gameplay combined with metaprogression is the roguelite bread and butter so yeah you'll definitely get a few recommendations like that. If you're okay with those then Dead Cells (plays a lot like a very tightly controlling Castlevania) and Enter the Gungeon (twin stick shooter) are both really good fun. Rogue Legacy (another 2D Castlevania-esque game) is another good one and I think the sequel is in early access.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Asura's Wrath is another one, it's on PS Now

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Just ran across a post that might interest you tinaun

BabyRyoga posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: SNES ROM HACK ALERT :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsfi1rms6oU

Celeste.SMC, an Super Mario World hack modeled after Celeste. If you like Celeste or Super Mario World (or better yet, both!) this one is right up your alley.

Load up your favorite emulator, hacked SNES classic, or flashcart, and download the patch at https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=29613

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

If you just want to cruise around and explore without engaging in inventory micromanagement / crafting, NMS has a creative mode.

edit: whoops there was another page

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I was responding to FakePoet asking this

quote:

What's a good space game that might be good as just a quasi-chill in the vastness of space exploration?

but thanks for your valuable post

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Hitman Trilogy is also on game pass and you'll likely do your fair share of knocking people out / throwing cans of expired spaghetti sauce at their heads from the shadows in that.

Not on game pass and it's a bit older now but Metal Gear Solid V is a great stealth-first game.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Yeah Control bumped down to easy difficulty should be a good choice. Shadow of the Tomb Raider also has ray tracing.

For a different but much more chill option Lego Builder's Journey has ray tracing in service of rendering the most accurate looking virtual Lego bricks

Final Fantasy XV doesn't officially have ray tracing but there's a reshade mod that some people say looks fantastic

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

If you want exploration with minimal hand holding, maybe take a look at The Pathless? It's not as open as Sable but avoids the typical open world icon vomit.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Death Stranding has a lot of lengthy cutscenes which might make it an instant pass, but between them there's lengthy stretches where you're just walking across the landscape with nothing but your jar baby for company.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Are you thinking of Return of the Obra Dinn? You're an insurance adjuster trying to piece together what happened on a ship that mysteriously disappeared. It's very good but also very dialogue heavy as you're jumping in and out of various fragmentary scenes

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

MrXmas posted:

From what I've heard Sable sounds like a really good fit. Haven't played it and don't know a whole ton about it myself, other than it fits the vibe.

Sable has other characters in it, although you can go long stretches on your own

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Splicer posted:

Are there any games centered around acquiring interesting and varied mounts?

Don't say mount your friends.

No Man's Sky now lets you tame and mount its various procedurally generated monstrosities

edit: "interesting and varied" might be a stretch, they have a variety of looks but all control kind of the same

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

If you like picross Hungry Cat Nonograms is a great little puzzler with a frankly absurd amount of content. Free / ad supported with a paid option to remove them.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

The main mode in Rocket League is 3v3 but there is a 4v4 (unranked) mode

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Furi

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I'm looking for games available on PC where you explore inside huge ancient ruins. Breath of the Wild's shrines, early Tomb Raiders and the latter parts of Abzu all gave me this feeling. Tunic came close but the fixed perspective made it harder to enjoy the sense of scale.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Subnautica
Hyper Light Drifter
Rain World

Horizon Zero Dawn

Hollow Knight and Ori and the Blind Forest

Thanks for the suggestions - I played a tiny bit of Subnautica ages ago, I'm not a huge survival game guy but if it's got ancient ruins I might give it another go.

I've also played (and enjoyed) everything else you mentioned apart from Rain World. It's a game that I thought looked really cool but I heard it was really punishing to the point of being unfun for a lot of people.

Hwurmp posted:

La-Mulana

any of the Ys games
Guacamelee

Thanks, I've not played these ones so I'll give them a look.

Sway Grunt posted:

Bit old-school but Marathon 2 and Marathon: Infinity are both very good at evoking loneliness and melancholy as you explore ancient ruins and structures. Despite being shooters the pacing's pretty slow (at least compared to their contemporaries) and there are good stretches where you're not even fighting all that much, just exploring these long-abandoned, overgrown remains of civilization.

Amid Evil gave me some similar vibes if you're looking for something more recent.

Old school isn't a problem as long as I can get it running, thanks!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You can turn off hunger and thirst. I kept them because I do like survival games but they aren't essential the story the game is trying to tell.

That's made me significantly more likely to try it again, thanks. Might even try the VR mode.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Vadun posted:

What games have the best Itano Circus moments?

I've been playing a lot of Sky Force lately and desire a lot more missile spam. Doesn't need to be a vertical shooter necessarily, but I'm not sure how another genre would handle it.

Doesn't matter if its a consumable item like a traditional bomb, on a cooldown or some sort of boss-finishing execution move. I just want lots of missiles.

The classic example is Bangai-O but it's a Dreamcast game so not an easy one to find unless you're okay with emulation.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

smug n stuff posted:

Hi all,
I haven't played games for a few years and am looking for a relatively short one to play while I have an unexpected amount of free time this week and weekend.
Stuff that I've played in the past and enjoyed: Metroidvanias like Ori and the lost forest and hollow knight, action-adventure games like Oneshot and Hyper Light Drifter, very chill games like Undertale and Night in the Woods.
I know that basically boils down to "good indie games from 2016-2018," but ah well.
So, I guess what I'm mostly asking is: what are some good indie games from the last couple of years with simple graphics (pixel or 2D drawn a la Hollow Knight/Night in the Woods), good music, and a good story? e: and preferably in the single digits of hours of play-time.
Apologies if there's an easier way to get a good answer to this question, I don't spend much time in Games, but I thought I'd ask.

Inside is short (you can complete it in an evening) but has an incredible atmosphere.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Jack Trades posted:

The latest Zachtronics game has a puzzle minigame, that I really enjoyed, where you meld flesh to create specimens.

I really like it's theme. Is there any other game with the gameplay (so, NOT a Visual Novel) of creating body horror poo poo?

EDIT: I'll give the comedy answer of Impossible Creatures 2 right away, but I was thinking of something that does body horror purposefully.

Bugsnax :buddy:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Norco and Citizen Sleeper are two recent games that have been compared to Disco Elysium in terms of pace and tone (although if you're expecting the same level of writing you might be disappointed). They're both on gamepass if that helps

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

There's an unreleased boxing game called Undisputed (formerly eSports Boxing Club) but it's been "coming soon" on Steam for years now.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Ciaphas posted:

the last couple pages has me wondering about anything like Void Bastards in the last couple of years. what specifically i'm looking for honestly kind of eludes me - just something about the combination of gameplay, progress loop, and aesthetic that has my brain thinking "one more run, i'm sure to find that upgrade this time" more than other games

i think the dry, british humor's a big part of it tbh

The gameplay is completely different but Heat Signature is a game where you enter procedurally generated spaceships, gently caress up the inhabitants, and use their tech to better gently caress up other space idiots.

As a Tom Francis game it does have some dry British humour, but a lot less than was in his previous game Gunpoint.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Not sure how old or low power you mean but these are the minimum system requirements to run Disco Elysium:

Memory: 2 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 5450
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo Q6867
File Size: 20 GB

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Mordiceius posted:

Looking for a PS4 or Switch game with a good story.

My wife loves watching me play games that almost have a cinematic-style of storytelling. Examples - Uncharted, Yakuza, God of War (2018 and Ragnarok).

So yeah, any recs of something in that vein? Some cinematic storytelling and decent gameplay?

Jedi Fallen Order

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Splicer posted:

I'm looking for a game where you dig a hole and put things in it don't say dwarf fortress or terraria or oxygen not included.

I guess I want Terraria but a bigger focus on base building. Like I want to dig out a bunch of space to put rooms in (like oxygen not included) but I want to be directly controlling a dude (like terraria or dome keeper). Honestly I think I want vertical Dungeon Keeper but also the Dungeon Keeper is me with a shovel.

Astroneer maybe? There's a lot of digging and while I always made my bases above ground there's no reason that has to be the case.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Looks like your link got truncated, you can access the news post from https://ioi.dk/hitman

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Stranglehold is a literal video game sequel to Hard Boiled. I remember it being decent in 2007 but I don't know how well it'll hold up (or how available it is)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Kojima has written a lot of clunky poo poo, but holding a mirror up to the player by making their character a whiny goon that desperately wanted to be Solid Snake but had only played as him in simulations is one of the best tricks he's ever pulled.