Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Office Sheep posted:

I'm looking for a challenging puzzle heavy adventure. Something more puzzle and atmosphere based like myst and less talky and story driven like monkey island or those new telltale adventures. I'd prefer as little rubbing everything on everything as possible.

Entombed is pretty old, but might be what you're looking for. Pretty much the entirety of the game is solving Myst-style puzzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Corridor posted:

Sorry to drag this thread up again.

I'm bored as hell and want to read some Let's Plays. Are there any particularly funny/epic ones that I shouldn't miss? I just finished all Nakar's Ultima ones with Steven the Avatar and I crave more.

Please don't recommend:
Animal Crossing
Flashback
Eien no Filena
Anything by RedChocobo
Anything by Nakar

...because I've read those.
I'd appreciate any input :(

(and why is King's Quest 6 not in the LP list?)

I'm assuming based on the context of your post that you want screenshot-based ones, right?

Monster Rancher 1 and 2 are great LPs, although I might be biased having played and loved them as a kid.

Shildkrote, Thuryl, and Luisfe all LP great games quite well.

Also, all the Sprung LPs are a must. They are hilariously done. Slowbeef in general is pretty good at this poo poo, needless to say.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Archipelagic posted:

I've grown a bit tired of RTS's recently, I think the thing that's missing is the ability to turtle. I used to love Total Annihilation, simply because I could spend ages in a skirmish building up an impenetrable base for the AI to throw itself against.

So, any ideas on an RTS that actively encourages turtling?

Sacrifice is good for this. Mounting a solid defense is actually far more viable than offense in many cases.

There's a set amount of "souls" on a map that allow you to summon units. Killing enemy units leaves behind a red soul, which can be converted for your own use. By defending against enemy attacks, you can hoard souls and prevent your opponent from using them, ultimately allowing you to completely overwhelm the enemy provided you don't lose your own souls in a skirmish.

That being said, there is little to no "base-building", so if that's your bag you might not enjoy it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

PalmTreeFun posted:

Anyone know of any games that play sort of like Virtual On or Custom Robo? Basically, small arena, and you and an opponent zip around the arena dodging each other's shots trying to kill each other. I know Power Stone is sort of like this, but with less shooting and more melee combat. I understand that this is a bit specific, but if nobody can think of anything, how about something fun that involves robots? Especially giant ones.

Try Bootfighter Windom XP SP-2. It's a rather primitive, but somewhat fun Virtual On clone. It has multiplayer, but I'm not sure if anyone still plays it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Parallax posted:

I'm looking for weird, unique games for the 360, PS3, Wii, and DS. Basically anything that makes you go, "Whaaaa....." or something like that.

I'd reccomend Nanashi no Game if it were translated. It's got a lot of Eternal Darkness-esque mindfucks.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

JesusDoesVegas posted:

On Thanksgiving I was playing the Scott Pilgrim game on PS3 at my cousin's house, and it brought back the good ol' days of beat em up games. I haven't got a PS3, but I perused Steam and didn't see anything that met the criteria... Anything new and exciting in the beat em up (streets of rage, final fight, the new scott pilgrim game, etc) genre?

There's a freeware remake of all three Streets of Rage games coming out with a big update soon apparently. Don't know much about it.

And if you haven't played God Hand yet, do it. It's pretty much one of the best punch-the-poo poo-out-of-stuff games ever made.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

fivetwofour posted:

I've sold my ps3 a while back, and I'm still itching for some decent gaming. Problem?The only hardware I have now is a netbook. I already have Neverwinter Nights and Guild Wars, and this thing can handle both beautifully. What other good RPGs are there? Don't really want to play Morrowind. I've tried it, and it was such a slow paced game. Offline stuff is ideal, so no MMOs please.

I've been starting the Baldur's Gate "trilogy" for my winter break. So far it's really impressed me. Anything else Infinity Engine is a real safe bet, so consider Planescape: Torment and Icewind Dale as well.

Diablo II is a hell of a lot more fun multiplayer, but you might be able to get enjoyment out of the single player.

Spiderweb Software has some really nifty old-school style games, but a few of them (Avernum 4) aren't as solid as the rest. I recommend Avernum 2, 3, and Blades, and the first two Geneforge games. They all have pretty expansive demos, so you should be able to play them for some time even without paying.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

madpanda posted:

I am looking for a babbys first 4x or space rts that will let me blow spaceships up without a bachelors in microeconomics.

Not looking for cockpit level control of individual ships, I am horrible at dog fighting type stuff. Homeworld controls or even EvE online type would be fine.

I don't mind doing light economic stuff, i just don't want to spend a lot of game time having to setup trade routes or anything that takes focus off blowing spaceships up.

I should be able to setup a custom game and blow up spaceships for an hour if i want to, or more. If the game takes 12 hours to get to the blowing up spaceships part, I probably won't be interested.

Things I have tried, these aren't ruled out, I am just not convinced.

A.I war demo - seems fun and I picked it up due to the steam sale, but much more involved than what I am looking for. Also combat happens too quick.

Star Ruler demo - the UI just feels off on this. The game itself might have the scalability I am looking for.

Sword of the stars complete - I've done a few of the tutorial videos, seems more in depth than what I want.

Gratuitous Space Battles - This just kinda threw me into the ship design with no instructions, kind of daunting. Also from what I hear its more of a "plan a fight then watch it play out" type of game.

I also have the Sins of a Solar Empire demo to try out still.

Ascendancy is a good 4x for beginners, if only because the AI is so notoriously bad that you can pretty much roll through them at your own pace. Only part of it that could be tricky if I recall correctly is that ships and such move in 3 dimensions.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I have a different kind of question but in the vein of this thread: I have a bunch of games in my backlog and I'd like something to keep me entertained for awhile. Which of these should I tackle first?

Persona 3: FES
Persona 4
Baldur's Gate 2
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Planescape Torment
Zone of The Enders 2 The 2nd Runner
STALKER: Shadow of Chernoboyl

One thing to note about the two infinity engine games is that I've never played anything like them before and I tried BG2 for a few minutes, liked the execution but kind of got lost in all the AD&D stuff and had no idea what skills to pick out. STALKER was really cool and I liked the atmosphere but I kinda got lost early on, tried following a guide and a lot of missions weren't showing up for me.

BG2 is great once you have a basic understanding of the AD&D stuff, but Planescape: Torment will be FAR easier to sink your teeth into. For better or for worse, gameplay takes a backseat to the story in Planescape, so if you're not familiar with AD&D systems it will be far friendlier to you.

BG2 is a great game, mind, but it does plop you down in the middle of things, both when it comes to story and when it comes to the development of your character. Starting with BG2 you may have no idea how to properly use your skills, end up dying a lot to the harder encounters, get frustrated, and quit. That's what happened to me, and playing through BG1 using the Tutu mod helped me out with that. BG1 is nowhere near as good a game as its successor, but it does a far better job of acclimatizing the player to their new character, in part because, well, you start at level 1.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Speedball posted:

Okay, I don't expect a lot of responses to this, but. What are some good current Mac-compatible games? For this computer I have Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Starcraft 2, both wonderful (and of course, I once had World of Warcraft, but I burned out on that). What else is there?

Not "current" by any stretch, but the Escape Velocity series is about as close as the Mac has had to a flagship series, in that they're designed primarily with the mac in mind. Marathon is another, if you'd rather have something Doom-like. The Marathon games are open source/free now, I believe.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Barent posted:

After recently playing and finishing the evil path of Soul Nomad, I'd like more games where you can be unabashedly evil and villainous. Doesn't really matter what genre or time period or whatever. What I don't want is games like Fallout/inFamous with hamfisted karma meters where you end up still being the hero. Something more in the vein of Overlord 1 and 2.

Thanks!

It's one of the most obvious answers, so sorry if you've played it, but Planescape: Torment is often cited as having the best "evil" choices of any game.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Serious Michael posted:

I was playing this little steam game called Space Pirates and Zombies which is a fast paced top down space shooter where you outfit and control multiple ships and proceed to destroy multiple ships. I want to play something like that, designing of my own ships is nice but not required and I should at least be able to change what weapons they have.

SPAZ is partially inspired by the Escape Velocity series. They're mostly Mac games but Nova has a Windows version and mods that bring the old games into the new engine.

Be aware that they are much more boring and passive games, mostly centered around trade and courier missions, especially at the beginning of each game.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

THE PWNER posted:

Anyone know any games with roguelike-like combat (grid based movement, turn based combat, you control a single guy) that aren't actually roguelikes? I've been playing Tome 4 and really enjoying it and it's made me wonder if there's anything else out there like it aside from the generally horribly unforgiving ascii based genre that spawned it.

Can't stand the pause-based combat in Baldur's gate 1/2 and I assume that the other D&D games made around that timeframe have it too, but I enjoy turn based combat where movement is also turn based, basically.

They're party-based but the Gold Box games and Avernum series are pretty much this.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

Are there any recent RPGs that have the party customization of the Balders Gate/Icewind Dale games?

I haven't played Avernum: Escape from the Pit but if it's anything like the original series it should have rather strong party customization.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Fangz posted:

Okay, I rather urgently need a suggestion for a game that is

- Multiplayer on the same keyboard
- Not very complicated
- Teenage boy friendly
- Hopefully free and/or cheap.

O save me, guys!

You can get the old Worms games really cheap, and they have fantastic hotseat multiplayer. Go for Armageddon/World Party, they're practically the same but World Party had tweaked online play (which you probably won't need) and a few game mods.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

flatluigi posted:

Exile wasn't that bad, honestly, and parts of Revelations were decent too. (End of Ages was terrible, though.)

Riven's definitely the best of the bunch and I should replay it sometime soon.

Riven was the only game I ever kept a journal for. The gameplay was such a simple point-and-click affair but the world building was incredibly inspiring. I still don't think there's ever been a cover as iconic as Riven's for me.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

PTizzle posted:

I'm looking for a new game for my girlfriend to play - the issue is that she has completely bizarre taste so I'm not exactly sure what'll stick.

Her favourite games of all time are Thief 1/2, Settlers 2, Age of Empires 2, Caesar 3 and GTAIV.

PC or PS3 is fine, I'm just really not sure where to go. She seemed to enjoy Pixeljunk Shooter, Age of Booty and Angry Birds, but she really liked the storyline/humour/life simulation aspects of GTAIV. She likes sneaky games and management games, that's about all I can glean from her taste. I'm guessing simulation/strategy/thinking games with a bit of management and not too much combat are the idea.

She didn't like The Sims, Metal Gear Solid, Civilisation, Lemmings, Worms, Skyrim or Assassin's Creed.

Saint's Row seems like a logical choice, but I'd also like to get her something (or two) for PC along the lines of Thief and Settlers. Preferably nothing too new as it's just a laptop.

Sorry for the vague post, just looking for some suggestions that might be out of the box a bit.

It's intimidating at first but I'd recommend having her give Crusader Kings 2 a try. It's pretty much all about internal management, combat exists but it's not necessary or intensive and involves two units bashing each other, and there are alternatives such as sabotage and matrimonial plots.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Ok so the wife and I gave Neverwinter Nights a shot. Too technical for her tastes. She wanted to play a more "Left-click/Right-click" functional action RPG. More Sacred/Diablo II-like.

Tried Torchlight/Torchlight II, but the requirements were too high for her laptop. Tried Sacred, but it's a bitch to get running on Win7. Nox doesn't have a co-op campaign, per se.

Any other ideas? I was thinking Icewind Dale, but I've never played it and I'm unaware of how detailed/complicated it is.

Path of Exile is a very blatant Diablo II clone and a pretty good one, but I don't recall if its system requirements would be too steep for your needs.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Leper Residue posted:

I think people are getting confused because the 'vania' from Metroidvania comes from Castlevania. So people think Symphony of the Night and games that came after (which is now the majority of Castlevania games). I'm guessing he wants an old school side scrolling platformer/action game.

And honestly, I just can't think of any. Maybe something like Castle Crashers, or They Bleed Pixels? Castle Crashers is more an old school beat em up though.

The freeware game Maldita Castilla is heavily inspired by both Ghosts 'n' Goblins and old-school Castlevania.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

Any good Xbox 360 games that are both fun to play and really scary? Like, on the level of Resident Evil 4.

It's not scary so much as occasionally unsettling, but have you played Deadly Premonition?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Just... everything. I dunno. Story's not too huge a concern, I suppose, though I despise long cut scenes with dialogue and such--one at the very beginning of the story is enough for me, if that.

I really liked the gameplay of it, though, how you started out getting murdered by the hollows just outside Firelink cowering behind your shield and getting hit out of your swings, and then a hundred hours later you're just running around with a new character two-handing everything putting no points into vitality at all because you've mastered the game.

The level design was also pretty amazing for me, with the way the whole world was connected. Not just shortcuts within a dungeon like Skyrim did, but even between areas, like how you can trek for hours on your first playthrough and then hey, there's an elevator in the church, and you take it and holy poo poo you're right outside where Petrus is.

So out of those things you listed, I guess "games that are just as demanding on the player and are rewarding to master" would be first priority, then "games that are great solo dungeon crawlers," then "games that have a similar attention to detail in the world and characters." It doesn't necessarily have to be a 3rd person action RPG, though I don't mind either way in regards to that, really.

Dark Souls is a spiritual successor to Demon's Souls, even having a near-identical engine.

Demon's Souls was based on a series by FROM Software called King's Field. The early installments really show their age nowadays, but overall the series is pretty good. FROM also developed another spinoff to King's Field, which was the Shadow Tower series. If your computer is powerful enough, you can emulate PS2 and play the fan-translated Shadow Tower: Abyss, which is extremely close to Demon's/Dark Souls in many ways.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

I'm looking for a 3rd person RPG also, but different from Dark Souls.

I'm looking for a game where you start off pretty weak and with crap gear, but where you eventually turn into an awesome demigod with amazing, ornate gear, and when you fight you fill the screen up with effects and just go apeshit.

Basically I'd like to play a 3rd person game where the player's rise in power is incredibly well represented visually through gear and combat effects as the game goes on.

I'm not looking for any MMOs though, please.

Seconding Divinity 2. It was kinda meh on release but the Dragon Knight Saga really kicked it into solid territory.

Also if you go into it with the mindset of just wanting to break everything and be absurd in an awful game, Two Worlds. Not the sequel, that lost the campiness of the first and was just bland as hell.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

N. Senada posted:

I've never played Planescape:Torment before and picked up because of the low price on GOG. Is there anything I should know (besides installing mods) before I dive into this beast? I have only the faintest ideas of what's in store based on reading through this thread.

There is one thing you need to do right off the bat. To enjoy the best moments of the game you need to build a character that would be a good mage but a lousy fighter (high int, cha, etc.). Unfortunately, you will always start the game as a fighter. As soon as you get into the city, look up a guide on the mage class change quest, changing to mage will make dealing with the limited amounts of necessary combat more manageable.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

I've only played the first hour or so of Planescape but I'm looking to get through it also.

Would it in any way detract from the experience to use Cheat Engine to make yourself invincible and super strong to so you can just one-hit everything you have to kill?

It would be personal preference, since the game is 90% interesting dialogue trees.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

Oh, that looks good. Thanks. How's the rest of the series?

Blood Money is easily the high point. The other games are good in their own ways but don't quite measure up to it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Having a Malkavian on your second run, however, is extremely entertaining, including gems such as:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1FbDuRWPho

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

I just bought an old gamecube from a friend so I thought I'd get some recommendations for it. I've picked up some of the more well-known titles, Pikmin, Wind Waker, and Killer 7. Any classics I'm missing? Or maybe some lesser-known gems? Thanks in advance!

Beyond Good & Evil has a Gamecube version, if you haven't played that.

Ikaruga is a pretty cool shoot-em-up.

Gladius is a fun strategy/sim game about, well, gladiatorial combat.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

silentpenguins posted:

I was really, really into Escape Velocity Nova for a long time. Looking at Ambrosia's site they have apparently moved on to casual games and apps. Can someone recommend a similar game?

Edit: I like the combat style and movement of EVN best, and I already have FTL before anyone recommends that.

Transcendence is OK, it's basically Escape Velocity the Roguelike. Feels limited in a lot of ways compared to EVN but it's decent in its own right.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Are there any RPG's that are reminiscent of The Godfather or Boardwalk Empire? That kind of organized crime, romanticised. Non-rpgs are ok, but I didn't like the Godfather game because it became really repetitive really quick, and Omerta was a lovely buggy mess. I've already played LA: Noire.

Chaos Overlords is more a strategy game and is more futuristic but it's got some cool things going for it. IIRC you could play in the vein of a classic, charismatic gang lord.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Unrelated, what are some games with good destructible environments? I'm thinking something along the lines of Red Faction: Guerilla or X-Com, where you can break down walls or collapse buildings as part of the strategy, rather than just making lots of stuff blow up like Just Cause 2 (which is also a great game, but not what I'm looking for at the moment). Genre doesn't matter, but I'm partial to tactical or strategy games.

Jagged Alliance 2 has this and plays a lot like X-Com.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Chinook posted:

Are there any good wrestling games for Windows? I remember playing old WWF/WWE games on ps1 and N64 and had a lot of fun making characters, intros, and playing with friends. Does anything like that even get made anymore? I am aware of console versions, but I don't know of anything good on PC.

Comedy option: MDickey's Wrestling Mpire

WWE'13 has some of the best customization of wrestling games so far, there's even a gimmick AI v. AI stream series called Video Game Championship Wrestling that has custom wrestlers designed to look like their videogame counterparts. The gameplay itself looks a bit simple and repetitive, but I've only ever seen it in play, never actually played it myself.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Galick posted:

There are about thirty or forty different classes, each bringing new stuff to the table (or at least different stuff) and every single one of them is 100% viable to take into the post-game.

Also, numbers.

this is honestly kind of lovely for the postgame

I've played the first, but at what point, if any, did they fix that healers could only really progress by tickling stuff with their staff as opposed to, you know, doing their job as healers? Did they change that at any point in the series?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

V!ntar posted:

I'm looking for a game with a lot of character customization, both in equipment and looks. Genre doesn't really matter. I loved these games:

* Saints Row
* Borderlands
* New Vegas
* Dark Souls
* Stalker

The Monster Hunter games are great for that.

Path of Exile is just in equipment/skills (looks are static to the archetype you choose) but the customization where that's concerned is pretty massive.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Sinking Ship posted:

So for some reason I have both a 3DS and a PS Vita and I own 1 game between them (Soul Sacrifice) mostly because I had a friend who was a junkie for owning every console who talked me into making irresponsible financial decisions. Now I'm hoping to get some kind of return on that investment (in the form of a game I might play). I like wordy RPG type games (like pretty much Bioware's whole catalog I've enjoyed to some greater or lesser degree) and I'm bad at twitch reflex button masher type games (like I really don't enjoy most FPS CoD type games, or arcade style bullethell type games - because I have terrible reflexs / game playing abilities). Also I have a soft spot for animu type games - on the previous generation of consoles I played and enjoyed Fate/Extra, Final Fantasy Tactics, and the Corpse Party games.

I play PC games pretty much exclusively so I really have no idea what (if anything) is worth buying for handhelds, so I'm sorry if this request is overly broad / vague it's just I see these handhelds every time I open my desk drawer and I feel I would be happier if I played them ever.

Handhelds have a lot of good Shin Megami Tensei ports and sidegames as well as the mainline series entry SMT4. Soul Hackers on 3DS and Persona 2: Innocent Sin on PSP are among my personal favorites. The other Persona ports and Strange Journey are great too, even if I did feel the later Personas strayed a bit far into anime territory.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Xandoom posted:

Hello all I am looking for an RPG game that is going to last me a while. I'm talking like super-dense, mega-timesink "I need to sink 1000 hours of this game just to scratch the surface). A lot of depth and complexity. Can be single-player or MMO. Thanks!

Guild Wars 2 is a theme park MMO, but with interesting design quirks (like linear levelling; 1-10 takes about as long as 70-80). It has tons of content, and a "Living Story" that adds additional time-limited content roughly every 2 weeks.

It has its share of problems (questionable dungeon design, for starters) but it's definitely the MMO I've sunk the most time into and feel the least guilty about playing casually.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

I'm looking for games with very little gameplay, and is mostly decisions / story. A good example of this is The Walking Dead! It needs to be compelling, and immersive. Do you guys know of any great games like that?

King of Dragon Pass is pretty much a gamebook crossed with a management sim.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

numerrik posted:

I'm not a fan of FFT, and I have never played a Mario & Luigi game, I didn't really consider the Warioware game because I have one of the DS ones, but I would be open to Warioland 4 possibly, I was just looking for alternate opinions of what's worth playing.

Warioland 4 has probably the most avant-garde humor in a videogame. It's worth playing for that alone.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I'm in the mood for some older-school PC FPS gaming, should I re-play Deus Ex or do a first playthrough System Shock 2?

I'd say SS2 holds up *slightly* better. Spiders are still awful artificial difficulty though, I had more trouble with them than all the stuff at endgame that was supposed to be a real threat.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Immortal Wombat posted:

I'm looking for a game that's like Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy on the PC

I'd love to play Heavy Rain but afaik it's only on consoles.

Does anyone have any recommendations for similar games?

Omikron: The Nomad Soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

Are there any games like Myst anymore? Long, convoluted series of puzzles that all intertwine that require you to be really paying attention?

Too many games nowadays just have the main character say the solution out loud after a while. Maybe I'll just get Myst.

It's hard to find stuff that has quite the same feel as Myst and especially Riven, the degree to which the worldbuilding was built into the puzzles is still pretty unique.

The closest I've played lately is the RHEM series.