Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

funmanguy posted:

I've never played a castlevania game, but a friend said I would like them. Which one should I try first? I've had fun with games like the binding of isaac, rogue legacy, risk of rain and whatnot.

There are 3 types of CV game - Metroidvania (as mentioned above), classic, and 3D. I've not played any of the 3D ones so I can't comment on those. As far as classic goes, there's a bunch of them on older consoles and they're generally very challenging (especially the arcade game), but still hold up today thanks to retro Konami's excellent dev teams:

Haunted Castle (arcade)
Castlevania (NES)
Castlevania 2 Simon's Quest (NES)
Akumajou Densetsu (play this JP-only version instead of CV3)
Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TGCD)
Castlevania Bloodlines (Gen)
Castlevania 2 Belmont's Revenge (GB)
Castlevania Chronicles (PS1)
Castlevania The Adventure Rebirth (Wii)

I left out two GB games and one SNES game due to them being generally disliked by the community. Of these, I'd say Rondo or Super would be most accessible to newcomers. My personal favorites are Chronicles and Densetsu, but they're kinda hard and frustrating at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

I'm looking for more MAME/Arcade games my girlfriend might enjoy. Platformers, sidescrollers, or single-plane beat 'em ups (the genre Bad Dudes falls under) with co-op play, and not macho/military-themed. Already familiar with the Bubble Bobble, Snow Bros., and Joe & Mac series, as well as Cadash and Nightmare in the Dark.

Even though it's military, I would suggest the Metal Slug series because of the great art and animation.

The only single-plane beat-em-ups I can think of are Spartan X, Vigilante, and The Ninja Warriors. Not sure if any of them are co-op though.

How about a cute-em-up?
Bells & Whistles
Parodius Da
Gunbird
Cotton Boomerang

What about sci-fi? Might have some boyish stuff like cool mechs and explosions, but you can't go wrong with Toaplan's early 90s stuff like Outzone, Tatsujin Oh, Dogyuun, Batsugun.

If you'd like to try something versus that's not a fighting game, definitely check out Twinkle Star Sprites. Also puzzle games - Puzzle Bobble, Super Puzzle Fighter, Magical Drop, Tetris Plus. And finally, the only Japanese quiz game to get a western localization - Quiz & Dragons: Capcom Quiz Game

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Sapato posted:

I am looking for an RPG where things go constantly wrong for the heroes. The only game I can think of is Wild Arms 1 for ps1. I know every RPG have things go wrong, BUT I would like to experience a game where they kick you when you're down.

Dragon Quest V. Not constantly, but the game did some things story-wise that were unheard-of at the time. There's a really good DS remake of it.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

khy posted:

Any thoughts/suggestions on games to help ease them into becoming better at games in general?

Maybe some simple 8-bit arcade/NES games like Space Invaders or Donkey Kong where you only have one button. The earliest games I played were on Atari 2600 at age 3-5 so by age 8 when I got my NES I was already used to the moving/firing concept. SMB1 was great for teaching me the sideways thumb technique (press B with tip of thumb, A with middle knuckle), which applies to every 2-button game ever.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Mushihimesama is definitely the best shmup on Steam. There's an ending, but the text makes no sense, press start to skip it. If bullet hells intimidate you, don't worry: novice mode is really accessible.

Astro Port's new shmup Wolflame looks rad as hell - a huge throwback to Raiden, Twin Cobra, etc. I haven't played it yet so I can't offer a 1st-hand opinion.

I've put a lot of hours into Audiosurf over the years. It's pretty fun to get shitfaced and ride your music library. There's also Audiosurf 2 now, but I haven't played it.

Aside from some humorous flavour text, there's no backstory or plot to Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, where upon progressing through the game (or dying horribly), you make your own story of sorts.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Since Steam is having an anime sale, can anyone recommend a visual novel?

It can be serious, tragic, funny, whatever, but I don't want stuff like magic, robots, demons, psychic powers, pigeons, superheroes, post-apocalyptica etc. The only anime series I've liked have been Love Hina and Azumanga Daioh, so I can tolerate some weirdness, but mostly I just want something realistic/believable.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Iznogood posted:

Just bought jets n guns and remember playing it years ago and having a blast. I love shmups but am pretty bad(no bullet hell for me!). I need a relaxed game full of upgrades like jets n guns. Google seems to think there is nothing. So I ask here! What could I play that's like that? I guess it could be some other type of games. I remember liking some flash game turbo tank or something? A tank that could jump. Simple fun crazy.

Does not need to be free.

Still, try Mushihimesama's novice mode. It's not a bullet hell (some people say arcade Original or 1.5 Original aren't bullet hells, either; I agree). It's a fantastic game that oozes style and is a joy to play. Don't credit feed. Practice tracking the bullets with your eyes and watch specifically for gaps between them. Once you've 1CCed novice original a few times, give novice maniac a try. This game's bullet hell is easier than you think because it's so well-designed. Well, not Ultra. gently caress Ultra. Novice Ultra, once you've had lots of practice on novice maniac, is actually perfectly playable and challenging.

For old-school-like shmups try Battle Crust and Wolflame.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Shakill OReal posted:

I'm looking for PC Party-based RPGs that meet these criteria:

• Full party customization (all custom, player-made characters)
  • Minimal storytelling/"questing" (I'm serious, even Temple of Elemental Evil has more text than I want to wade through)
  • Character development with lots of choices - ideally with some skills that benefit the party outside of combat. Lots of classes, races, skills etc. to pick from.
  • Lots of (or interesting) loot
  • Some dungeons and poo poo I can crawl through, I don't know
  • Interface isn't too archaic/clumsy

Sounds a lot like Legend of Grimrock. There are a lot of puzzles and some pixel-hunting, but there's really no dialogue other than pieces of paper and writing on the walls (both of which are usually clues to puzzles). Grimrock 2 has some lore stuff associated with it, but it's a massive game compared to the first, with an expansive overworld. The bundle for both of them is currently 70% off for 9½ more hours!

The game controls almost exactly like Eye of the Beholder, so I guess it's archaic/clumsy. :shrug:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Trillest Parrot posted:

My girlfriend and I have been playing a lot of Dr. Mario and Tetris Attack lately. What are some other good co-op/vs. puzzle games we can play together?

Puzzle Bobble/Bust-A-Move 4. AC with ports on PS1, DC, and I think PS2? Great VS mode with insane chain-reactions. Also Puzzle Fighter II Turbo.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

I want more games like Tales of Berseria

I love the fighting system, I love the story, I love the item crafting / disenchanting, I love the whole thing, hell even the anime has grown on me.

The Tales series has been running for over 20 years now. Check out some of the other ones like Symphonia or Zestiria or Graces. I've personally played the 2D ones on PS1 and they were all excellent (Phantasia remake, Destiny, Eternia [US version was called "Destiny II" to prevent a lawsuit from He-Man]). If you have a PSP hanging around, I recommend the Star Ocean games (First Departure, Second Evolution) as they also have fun battle engines.

As an aside, I noticed the other day that a game in the Atelier series has just been released on Steam. I've only played the very first English release on PS2, but item crafting is that series thing, and I found it to be really enjoyable.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 15, 2017

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Eela6 posted:

I have severe chronic pain that often prevents me from using my right hand for repetitive motions.

I'm looking for games that I can play using only the mouse, or, if using a controller, without having to use the left and right halves of the controller simultaneously. Good examples are things like HOMM3 and The Witness (it's a little awkward but I manage).

I really like the Audiosurf games partly for that very reason. If you happen to be a music fan with a good-size digital library, I'd say it would be an excellent purchase. Don't bother with Audiosurf 1, get the sequel, it improves upon it in every way, and supports more formats. I think you can load youtube songs on it, but I haven't tried that.

You can theoretically play a lot of retro games that only use two buttons by using a Playstation-style controller with L1/L2. Also, there were Japanese controllers made specifically for this purpose (probably for RPGs), see if you can track one and a USB adapter down.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

All of the classic ones (1-6) on PC are mobile ports. Fans of the series have somewhat derided them, but they're probably still fine for most people (disclaimer: I haven't personally played any of them).

The best remake in the series is FFIV Complete on PSP, if you happen to have one of those lying around.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

some guy on the bus posted:

Dragon Quest 4 has great female protagonists for 2 of the 5 chapters. (Should be played on iOS)

3 chapters, if you count that the hero is gender-selectable, but is the silent type like Crono. I'm guessing Pizza Parlor doesn't want blank slates, though.

In the first Phantasy Star you play as Alis, which I think was the first jRPG to have an explicitly female lead.

Jumping way ahead in time, the Vanillaware games have some interesting ladies you can play as, if you can tolerate some slightly misogynistic outfits and body... features.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

credburn posted:

And I seek a recommendation. I'm looking for a kind of RPG shooter experience, something like Raptor: Call of the Shadows for PC or that SNES game that was kind of the same thing but also had segments where you're bombing stuff? Bullet hells don't interest me so much, but explosions, debris, and RPG poo poo does.

RPG and shmup mechanics generally don't go well together, so hybrids of the two are extremely rare. As Catfish stated above there's SSS on GBA, and I agree it's kinda meh. Definitely try The Guardian Legend for NES if you haven't already. Other than those and Raptor, I really can't think of any.

Maybe see if you can find something on mobile. I know Cave has some kind of MMO shmup, but it's currently JP-only.

e: There are a few shmups with a little bit of RPG elements:
Radiant Silvergun, Jaleco's EDF, and Batsugun have XP systems
Dimahoo has a loot system

e2: Shmups with the best debris graphics are Raiden II, Battle Garegga, and Soukyugurentai

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 15, 2017

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

FredMSloniker posted:

I noticed that Skyrim Remastered is on sale, but the review section is clogged with people complaining about money-grubbing and not so much about the actual game. Plus I understand mods have to be ported to it. I don't care about making my horse look like Rainbow Dash or something, but am I going to be able to enjoy the game as-is? Or have the right mods been ported? Or should I buy the old version (which Steam has hidden from searches, but whose store page I was able to find with Google)?

The biggest issue here is that SkSE (the script extender framework) has not been ported yet. Besides any unofficial bugfix stuff, the only two mods that I'd consider absolutely necessary (SkyUI and SPERG) require it. I thought about buying it myself, but I decided to pass for now.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I would like a game to put on my new android phone. It's my first smartphone so I've never done mobile gaming.

I think I'd enjoy a strategy RPG the most, and I saw FFT (one of my favorite games of all time) has a port, but lots of reviews on the play store says it crashes a lot and you can't save/quit during battles. I'm also wary of it since it's based on the PSP version which was unplayable without a fanpatch to remove the slowdown.

Anything else like it? Japanese or western - either is fine, but I'd prefer fantasy or military (I loved the Advance Wars games on GBA), and paid rather than f2p. I'm willing to consider alternatives if they're highly regarded.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Try Knights of Pen and Paper .

From a few pages ago, but this is what I went with (the sequel) and it seems to be what I wanted. It has a price on the Play Store but it installed the free edition which seems to be fully-featured, so that has been good.

My only complaints are the poorly-scaled 2D (although I have seen worse) and the occasional nag to buy a crafting mats pack. Otherwise, good game so far, thanks for the suggestion.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Getsuya posted:

Edit: judging by comments she's made I'd guess her problems with JRPGs are:
She doesn't like dealing with mechanics more complicated than simple weapon/ability upgrade menus
She has trouble connecting with characters who aren't like the kinds of people you'd find in American movies/TV shows
She doesn't like anime
She doesn't like not knowing how much health things have(? This is a direct quote)

Hm, I'd like to say maybe Odin Sphere, but I guess that's pretty anime. Not sure if the HD PS3 version got an english release, anyway.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Looking for a ~8 hour or shorter game with a nice ending to beat this weekend. I've played Limbo and Inside (and Undertale while we're at it) and not looking for roguelikes nor Point and Click/Telltale games (unless exceptional). Open to pretty much every genre.

How old are you willing to go? The first Final Fantasy Legend game on Game Boy was designed to be finished in 8 hours (the length of a flight between Tokyo and Honolulu).

Even better, set up BizHawk and play the Wonderswan remake. It has an english patch. I found a prepatched ROM by googling "Makai Toushi SaGa wonderswan english".

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

How do you know this? Why do you know this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Final_Fantasy_Legend - in the development section (source). I was slightly off, it's Narita to Honolulu and 6-8 hours.

doctorfrog posted:

I bought this game 20 years ago and never played it past the first couple hours b/c it "wasn't as good as Zelda on the Game Boy." Might dig it out and play it now.

edit: whoops I was thinking of Final Fantasy Adventure for Game Boy.

http://www.gameboyworks.com/1989/12/15/the-final-fantasy-legend-2/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Adventure

I liked FFA quite a lot when it was current. Zelda + actual RPG elements, good stuff. I think it takes a little longer than 8 hours to beat, but I'm not sure.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 23, 2017

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Whale Cancer posted:

Looking for a couple things:
1.) Beat em up kinda button smashing game like the old NES Double Dragon. I hear the ones on steam are garbage?

Beat-em-ups are sadly a mostly dead genre. There has not been a professionally-developed arcade game of this sort in quite a long time. Steam does have a couple of the best of these - Dungeons & Dragons Chronicles of Mystara. It's a pack containing both of Capcom's arcade D&D beat-em-ups. A combination of the weird-rear end CPS2 hardware resolution scaled to 4:3 and a lack of good filters was a dealbreaker for me, but I think it would be fine for pretty much everyone else.

I saw a stream of Fight N Rage, that one looked pretty neat. Same with Double Dragon IV, but that one seems to have mixed reviews. There's also Double Dragon Neon and River City Ransom Underground which appear to be more favorable.

If you have a PS4, take a look at the ACA Neo Geo titles, there are a few of those available - Burning Fight, Mutation Nation, Robo Army, Sengoku series. Some of these might be on Steam too, just make sure to look at the developer and never ever buy anything from "Dot Emu".

quote:

2.) Fly around and shoot poo poo, like the old school Raptor game.

These are referred to as shoot-em-ups or "shmups" and only a partially dead genre. Occasionally old guard devs will put out a game nowadays (Raiden V), and CAVE's last arcade game was only 5 years ago. CAVE's games are top-notch and the Steam/X360 ports have novice modes if you're not used to modern shmups. I highly recommend Mushihimesama. Crimzon Clover is also good. For an older memorizer-style game, there are a few indie titles such as Satazius, Wolflame, and Battle Crust. Raptor itself is also on steam now but I'm not familiar with it so I can't comment.

On PS4 porting gods M2 have put out a few select arcade shmups recently - Battle Garegga, Dangun Feveron, and Mahou Daisakusen. All of these are fantastic.

quote:

4.) Something fun and amusing that I dont have to devote hours to and I can just sit down and play for 20-30 min at a time and have fun.

This is arcade gaming in a nutshell. Both of the above genres that you asked for have their origins in the arcade. It will take a while to set up, but maybe look into MAME and explore its vast library.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Konig posted:

My question has evolved a bit; everyone is interested in a game that you can customise a team or an individual to be AI controlled and put into an AI only tournament; digital cock-fighting, essentially.

It's an old example and I have no idea how difficult it is to set up, but the FFT romhacking people have been doing this for quite a few years now. It uses the 1.3 romhack mechanics/AI, so there's lots of reviving dead units.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZrtdhNXA_g

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I'm still waiting for someone to do a modern Guardian Legend. Maybe something like Metroid Prime with some cool shifting-camera shmup stages like Ikaruga or Strania.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

Looking for a PC RPG/adventure game where it's fun to explore and you feel like you're part of a larger world. Being able to make your own character is pretty important - that's why I could never get into the Witcher games. I've played Fallout, TES, Divinity, and Mount & Blade already.

Maybe an MMO? WoW, FF14, GW2, TESO are some popular ones and all have character creation. I can't comment on the others, but I've been playing WoW for many years and it is A Good Time. The most recent patch even mostly fixed the leveling issue, so new characters can actually get a feel for the old worlds (and their classes) and not just barrel through oneshotting everything.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 21, 2018

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Yes, I would recommend something like DCSS (the webtiles version). It's browser-based and nothing happens in the game until you take an action (such as moving or casting a spell).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Bob NewSCART posted:

Are phone game recommendations a thing here?

Things I have played and enjoyed on my phone:

Knights of Pen and Paper 2 (free)
Bouncy Hoops (paid $1 to get rid of ads)
Adventures of Mana (Final Fantasy Adventure remake, $15)
Dragon Quest IV (DS port, $15)

I've been eyeing that Fire Emblem game and also The Quest, will check those out when I'm done with DQ4.