Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lands of Lore is basically what Eye of the Beholder 3 should have been. You manage a small party but there are absolutely no stats to keep track of. Leveling up is automatic and a majority of the battle system is based on what weapons you have equipped so it's more of a strategy rpg than straight up number crunching.

While you don't talk to anyone outside of cut scenes, Realms of the Haunting is a Cthulhu inspired horror adventure game with some devious puzzles and awesome weapons. Really atmospheric game and probably the only non-Command and Conquer game I've played with real actors in the FMVs that isn't totally campy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

This is the first topic I've ever seen where someone refuses to play a game because it's too new.

quote:

Anyway, I'm looking for a good classic FPS RPG. I remember loving those things when I was a kid... they were like Doom 2 or Heretic, but you could talk to people!

This is basically Deus Ex go play it or you're an idiot. There, I said it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

quote:

Apparently I play a flabby rapist stalking ladies in the local park at night. Sold, I guess?

At the beginning you pick 1 of 4 characters: that buff guy with a smugface in the screenshot, this goofy paladin dude, a burn victim wizard, and a catguy furry.

Play the furry. Best character in the game. He starts with average stats but can attack 30x faster than everyone else.

Some other games no one mentioned:

Ultima Underworld. The first real time 1st person fully 3D RPG. It and the sequel have aged surprisingly well and it's pretty much the inspiration of the Elder Scroll games.

Anvil of Dawn. One character dungeon crawler. Think Eye of the Beholder with more environment based puzzles and only one character to keep track of. It didn't do anything terribly new or original so it got passed over at the time but everything it does do it does it right.

Stonekeep. Another RPG "lite" game. All the goodness of dungeon crawlers minus constant number crunching. You can buy it off GoG and if you hurry you can get another interplay game (perhaps one of the Fallout games?) for free.

Menzoberranzan. Based on the Drizzt series of books, the game boasts some atmospheric dungeons and cool set pieces. A bit heavier in the number crunching being a D&D game

Wizards and Warriors. The first game by Heuristic Park, a company by the dude who directed three of the better Wizardry games. This game is basically what Might and Magic 9 should have been. You control a large party but the system is simple (you have a small array of stats and skills to track) so it doesn't require study of a thick rear end manual to know all the tiny nuances. Good luck finding it though. Hell, good luck finding :filez: on it. Right now you can get a new copy on amazon for $80 or just the cd for $10. I'm pretty sure a total of 10 people have played it IRL.

Betrayal at Krondor. The only game off the top of my head based on a book and it doesn't suck. The world is huge and filled with a bunch of great encounters and quests (I'd say you only explore about 40% doing the main quest) and the battle system is a simple but intuitive turn based affair. The character actors in costumes makes it appear really, really goofy but the storyline and writing are top notch (a rarity for a early 90s game).

quote:

And how dare you say C&C isn't campy, they got loving Tim Curry for god's sake. The actors in those games had the most fun I've ever seen anyone have on camera making those things as hammy as possible.

That's Red Alert which is the most ridiculous continuing game storyline I've ever seen. The main series is very much serious.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

quote:

Also what is going on here - that first player character is a freaking bird. Not a birdman, an actual loving bird that someone dressed in a cape. That bird has no idea what's going on.

That's a kenku, a race of natural born assassins and spies in D&D canon. They're my favorite race and sadly underrated post-2000 because of "furry" allegation (to most gamers now, any bipedal animal is instantly a furry).

quote:

Anyone have any recommended settings?

Set emulation to auto and cycles to max. I can't remember the settings to get sound and voice to work but I'm playing with it now.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Otter Wate posted:

I guess I have a pretty weird request, here's what I'm looking for:

A social climbing game - it can involve combat, but I'm more interested in RPG and puzzle solving elements. I've tried the Sims and that's not really what I'm after. The Guild has some of the elements I'm looking for, but it's a little too focused on economy-building.

I only have a PC unfortunately. Any and all recommendations are welcome. My laptop's system is a little outdated and my gaming computer is in the shop; when I get it back I'll be trying Mass Effect since I enjoyed the KOTOR games. I realize the kind of game I'm looking for might not exist. That said, any suggestions?

You might be interested in Republic: The Revolution which just so happens to be available on Good Old Games. You play a revolutionist during the collapse of the Soviet Union whose goal it is to establish control over the country. You can do so through social networking, bribery, intimidation like kidnapping, or straight up using force to exert control.

There's a series of games called Democracy that you may enjoy. I haven't played them personally but the whole point of them is climbing the political ladder.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Morpheus posted:

I'm wondering if there are any games like Pathologic out there: specifically, what interests me most about the game is the fact that the entire thing takes place in a single, small village. Technically, the entire world is available to you, and the entire world is pretty small, but it evolves as you play and progress the plot. Is there anything else like that at all?

(Note: This is not the same as a sandbox title, not GTAs or anything by Bethesda. This is a small game world.)

STALKER is truly the closest thing to Pathologic IMO. After owning it for 2 years I downloaded Oblivion Lost and devoted some serious time to play it. Don't regret a single minute. It's sort of sand-boxy in that you have a main quest but you can take on several smaller quests but the world is persistent unlike Bethesda's games. Every human character (that isn't a bandit or randomly generated enemy) is tracked and it's pretty cool to see a bunch of guys you know by name because you traded some cheap supplies with them camp in a certain spot then return an hour later to find them in a pitched fight with monsters/bandits. Each time you play enemies will do different things or get "bold" if they form up in groups.

An area you once cleared may be cleared three or four times you pass through it and then some other faction kicks down the doors and sets up camp. That's the kind of stuff I look for in "sandbox" games but developers seem to think "bigger is better" instead of actually giving the player stuff to do. When you think about it, what's more fun? A literal sandbox playground a mile long or a small one with lots of friends to play with?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Revol posted:

Mmm, maybe. But I think I need a little bit more than that. I've got plenty of options for an FPS; I could just play COD4.

I guess I'm more concerned with finding a persistence in world than anything else.

For a single player experience, STALKER can't be beat. The AI has its own agenda so different territory will regularly be contested by humans and mutants. One time I was walking back to the trader at the newbie village (starting area, relatively weak enemies) and let my guard down as I was crossing a bridge. Turns out there were three grey blips on my radar (which mean dead humans) that weren't there when I crossed a day ago. I didn't pay it any mind at first but the gears in my head started turning like "Wait... stalkers just don't spawn already de--" Cue load roaring sound as a bloodsucker, an enemy that can cloak itself, leaps from under the bridge and rips me to shreds. I switch to my shotgun, aim, press the left mouse button CLICK.

Forgot to loving reload my gun. My armor was shredded in a previous fight so I ran all the way back to the newbie village where the bloodsucker killed three guys before I capped him.

No other game continues to surprise me like STALKER. Direct2Drive is selling it for $5 during their anniversary sale. I suggest checking out Oblivion Lost for a lot of hardcore material added or STALKER Complete 2009 if you want updated graphics. STALKER has online multiplayer but it's probably not what you're looking for.

As far as online games go, Planetside, Planetside, Planetside. There's only one server left if I recall so everyone is consolidated and you can find matches quickly. It's a FPS/RPG war game where battlefield control and dominating territory is key to winning.

While I only played the first game, Neocron 2 is an FPS/MMORPG that I picked up because it reminded me so much of Deus Ex. The first game was fun and I've been meaning to get an account for the 2nd but I'm always busy. Even though your stats determine things like accuracy and damage, there's still a level of skill involved as you're ducking behind corners to avoid shots. The game literally plays like you'd expect Deus Ex as an MMORPG but it's not very newbie friendly. There are hundreds of skills, abilities, and functions you have to pick up and while the first game had a cool tutorial I'm not sure if the 2nd includes one.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fledgling Gulps posted:

I've got a hankering for some space flight-sim action. The last ones I played were Freespace and Tachyon: the Fringe. But now that I finally have a machine that can handle just about anything I throw at it I can't seem to find anything in the genre.

Try DarkStar One. I think they have it up on GoG. The designers pretty much admitted they were copying Freespace's model of combat/exploration/trading and the game definitely mimics the style well. There's even Descent-esque dungeon levels in the form of hollowed out asteroids. You can't buy new ships but instead your starting ship is modular allowing you to customize most aspects of it so it functions like a different vehicle. The pervasive bugs in the vanilla launch that garnered the mostly average reviews the game got have been patched out and I've been playing it off and on for about two years now.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The original Final Fantasy Tactics is more story based while Tactics Advance is more about team building. I second the recommendation for Front Mission which was translated officially in English on the DS. Front Mission 2 is actually a Japan only sidescroller. Front Mission 3 is the best in the series combining the extensive mech customization with a ridiculously variable plot line where seemingly unrelated dialog choices can change the entire outcome of the story. I haven't played FM4 but you can find the PS2 version fairly easy for a cheap price.

For a more obscure game, look for Ring of Red. It's a neat game set during the collapse of the Axis where literal walking tanks (these things are huge and clunky but have superior firepower) dominate the battlefield. You can only customize the team you carry with your mechs meaning battles have a larger focus on actual tactics (terrain control, proper troop layout, weighing the risks of fighting at a range vs. going up close) than superior equipment or grinding to increase your levels.

A few years ago LucasArts released a game called Gladius set in a fantasy Roman empire. The game was released to above-average reviews and critical praise but no one bought it. There's a ton of content, the game is fairly difficult, and the storyline will keep you engaged as much as building up a team.

Both Ring of REd and Gladius can be found in the used bin for less than $10.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pikey posted:

What's the closest thing to dragon's souls on the PC? I'm not really willing to dump money on a PS3 for 1 game, but i'm looking for a tough, tactical, single character action RPG. The witcher left me wanting with its 2 click combat that didn't seem to progress much. Is there something else out there like demon's souls?

Nothing, really. Gothic comes closest. It's a dated series and I haven't played the latest one but Gothic 1 and 2 can be butt loving hard at times with boars and monster gophers that will kill you instantly.

Risen, spiritual successor to Gothic, is like that as well but it's still more of a classic open-world single-player RPG than a straight forward linear level crawler.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sulk posted:

I'm looking for something sci-fi, preferably of the space variety. Doesn't have to be exactly an MMO (cheaper the better, really), but an RPG or action would be nice, especially with a multiplayer component where people are actually online. I'm going to try out Global Agenda but I don't know how that would be. PC is probably the best option, though I have a 360 (yes, I've played Vanquish, and it owns).

I feel like there are no good space/sci-fi games. :(

Shattered Horizon is fun in short spurts and the idea of zero-G battling needs to be explored more in shooters. Believe it or not there are still dedicated servers full of hundreds of people who still play Freelancer.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Brace posted:

Still looking for a game that's anything like:

Baldur's Gate 2:Dark Alliance or Champions of Norrath:Return to Arms

Check out all the Activision Marvel games which almost feel like they're built on the same engine. I enjoyed The Bard's Tale (2004 version) as it was kind of funny and and felt like it had better level design than the twisty caverns of Dark Alliance or Champions. Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes is another one of those top-down brawlers (kind of like Gauntlet) but it's meant for at least two players or you'll have zero fun.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pikey posted:

Looking for a space 4x game that's not overly complicated, basically the civ revolutions of 4x space basically. I liked SotS, but the tactical combat was pretty clunky and anemic. Having real time combat is not a necessity, but I just don't want to be spending ages digging through menus and tables trying to manage an empire. Any suggestions?

Sword of the Stars. The game got average reviews at first but the expansion packs improved on everything and pretty much everyone will tell you it's an entirely different, better game than the originals. If Galactic Civilizations is Civilizations IV then Sword of the Stars is Civilization Revolutions. It has one of the best interfaces I've seen in an 4x game and every action can be controlled entirely with the mouse.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Megaspel posted:

I'd like to see someone try to recommend me a game based on previous games I have enjoyed, I can get a Wii, GameCube, PS2, or PC game, although I'd prefer a PC game or Wii game.

Here are some of the games I've recently played, ordered roughly so the most of the ones I enjoyed the most are near the top

Black and White 1/2 - Dungeon Keeper 1 & 2 or Ghostmaster
Portal - Eh, I dunno
Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 - Sly Cooper or Ratchet & Clank series
The Zelda series - Darksiders
Mirror's Edge - Ummm... Dark Messiah of Might & Magic?
Half Life 2 and the episodes - Any shooter, really
No More Heroes 1/2 - God Hand
COD Modern Warfare 2 - Medal of Honor although I've heard nothing but bad things
Overlord 1/2 - Sacrifice
Fable 1/2 (I've sold my 360 now, so I'm waiting for 3 to come out on PC) - Gothic 4
Fallout 3/New Vegas - Fallout 1 & 2 :smug: or any of the STALKER games
Mario and Luigi Time Travel something something - You're trolling me but Spyfox or Pajama Sam
Super Smash Brothers Brawl - Powerstone
Team Fortress 2 - Eh, I dunno
Left 4 Dead - Killing Floor
Portal 2 (it wasn't that great tbh) - Shut up
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat - Samba de Amigo
Blockland - I dunno

al-azad fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 7, 2010

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Alright, Recommending Goons, perhaps some of you can help me scratch an itch I've had for a bit. I'm looking for espionage/Spy games. Not games where the story says you're a spy but it plays like a regular FPS or anything like that. I want a game where I feel like a spy. Less SplinterCell and more Spy-fiction James Bond style. It doesn't have to be a FPS, any genre will do. I just need something to scratch this secret agent itch!

Hitman: Blood Money right here. I recommend Blood Money over the other Hitman games because it feels more organic and they really perfected the level design.

Alpha Protocol is probably my favorite game of the year so far but the consensus is either you think it's the best thing ever or you hate it with every fiber in your being. Aside from the mandatory boss fights you can 100% stealth through the game. The breadth of dialog choices they give is overwhelming and there are FAQ writers who are discovering new things even on their 6th play. It's pretty much the closest any game has gotten to making you feel like a globetrotting superspy.

quote:

And I also ahve an itch for any kind of campy space game. I'm thinking along the lines of Flash Gorden/the Atomic age 1950's space age kind of stuff. Cheesy ray guns and the like. Any genre!

Ratchet and Clank but I'm sure you know about this already.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Arctic posted:

Something seems really really off about those game world comparisons. I haven't played all of the shown games but it looks as if they're all at differing scales since the streets in the Burnout Paradise map look wider than the city blocks in GTA3. I mean I still bet it's bigger than both GTA maps but it just seems... off some how. Especially when the Imperial City of Cyrodiil looks like it's half an Island from Liberty City.

A static map obviously doesn't translate well when scaled to size but the numbers are based on the statistics developers give.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Any truly great strategy games that scratch the same itch as XCom (The original)?

I've played Jagged Alliance and Xenonauts, but they weren't anywhere near what I hoped they would be.

If Xenonauts isn't what you're looking for then I don't know what you want from a strategy game. Silent Storm and Jagged Alliance 2 have better combat than XCOM and Xenonauts has better map and base management although interception is wonky.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tagra posted:

That is disappointing to hear. I played Okami on the PS2 and never finished it because I hated drawing with the controller. It felt like it was a natural fit for the WiiMote and must be awesome to play on that, and one day I would pick it up and play it the way it was meant to be played.

So I guess I should drag out the PS2 and try it again...

If you're going to play the PS2 version you might as well play the PS3 version as it looks great in HD.

boatiemathmo posted:

Where should you start with the King's Bounty series? I see Legend is the first, so would seem logical - or should I skip straight to a sequel?

King's Bounty: The Legend is a remake of King's Bounty, the game that lead to Heroes of Might & Magic. It's basically HOMM without the resource managing RTS elements. If you want a casual, pick up and play strategy RPG then King's Bounty is great. There's a huge variation in monsters and spells and the fun of the game is about trying to break the system or try new monster combinations and seeing what works (PROTIP: anything that summons more monsters or can mind control other monsters is fantastic because enemies target summons like 99% of the time).

Crossworlds is just one character instead of a choice of three classes but she has more variance to her options. That said it's an even larger game so just go with the original and if you like it enough you'll probably pick up Crossworlds.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 17, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Can anyone recommend a good decision-based game? Crusader Kings has been my go-to with regards to evolving storyline and branching character interactions. I took a look at Kings of Dragon Pass and while the picking your gods, interacting with your council, and decision-based events look interesting, the sperginess of the mechanics (managing cattle, sacrificing to gods, recruiting tradesmen, expanding crop fields, etc) really put me off.

Essentially, are there any games that involve a lot of character-driven decision-making but not a lot of sliders and numbers?

Really? You can handle Crusader Kings numbers but not KoDP?

Anyway, Divinity: Dragon Commander combines RTS combat with an evolving storyline and event based home stronghold. If you want to go far back there's the more RPG-like Romance of the Three Kingdoms games, particularly 7, 8, and 10.

If you want to go full simulation there's Long Live the Queen, ignore the anime aesthetic it's really humorous and self aware. I've heard good things about The Yawhg but haven't played it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lewd Mangabey posted:

Keep in mind that people can be hyper-optimizing sperglords about any game, including KoDP. Just like you can play CK2 by being an Irish count who converts to Catharism so your genius daughter can inherit and then assassinate your way into the HRE, etc etc.

But it's very possible to play KoDP where you try and insert yourself as a superstitious, honor-bound bronze age barbarian and roll from there. Get some cows, raid some folks, but you don't have to balance a spreadsheet to play KoDP.

KoDP is not perfect, but it's one of the most memorable games I've ever played. It would be a shame not to give it a try.

Yeah, my very first time playing the game I united the tribes in a short game with no knowledge other than the manual. Not understanding how pasture degrades to wilderness can hurt you if you choose a large Tula to start but KoDP doesn't require detailed knowledge of its hidden mechanics. It's a popular game for PbP'ing for a reason.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I watched a bit of a LP on youtube of the game and the LPer was pretty hammy about managing cattle and choosing your council. If I can play the game without having to sperg with the sliders or starting choices just fine then it's basically the perfect game for me.

And to other posters I have The Wolf Among Us and The Walking Dead, and I love them to pieces. I also have Long Live The Queen and while I do enjoy the branching storyline, multiple ending paths, and countless self-inflicted deaths, the whole mood-management and 20+ skills stuff puts me off.

I will keep an eye on Alpha Protocol though, I've heard good things about it.

Here's what I say to someone whose playing the game for the first time: play the game like a bronze age superstitious barbarian in a hostile fantasy land. Listen to your council, obey the traditions of your clan that you laid out in the beginning, and heed the omens your godtalkers predict at the start of the year. Play reactively but think of ways to grow for the next year. Raid the poo poo out of your neighbors in Fire season, explore and send envoys in the harvest seasons, and build up your tula in the cold months.

The game practically tells you how to play it. You can sperg over the details once you learn the mechanics but it really is a strong roleplaying game that rewards staying in character.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

lenoon posted:

I put down my 3ds after getting burned out playing too much competitive Pokemon (what was I doing with my life?) but have now decided to pick it back up. If there were say five games that were completely an utterly unmissable for the 3ds, what would they be?

What genres do you like? If you include regular DS games you've got one of the most diverse libraries on the market.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm actually kinda looking for the same thing. I enjoy Kings of Dragon Pass, The Walking Dead, and The Banner Saga.

But is there anything that doesn't even have that level of game to it? Like no walking dead minigames or walking around, no banner saga tactical battles, I want a game that is purely making simple decisions and then reading/watching about how they play out.

When I was younger I watched a bunch of these interactive videos where you'd just make simple decisions, there was one based on Ace Ventura even. I wouldn't mind watching something like that again.

Is that sort of interactive-game-movie mostly just left to lovely DVD-games? Are there any good dvd-games? Are there any other PC games that are mostly narrative and decision making, with very little serious gaming?

I'm already playing lots of Sunless Sea and Fallen London. I guess other storynexus games might be good. Any recommendations?

If you have an iPad 3 or greater check out Blood & Laurels. It's a CYOA/IF hybrid with an advanced AI system that acts in the background while you're making decisions. Instead of a parser you have an "act now" button and they claim you'll only see 7% of the possible script in a single play. I'm hoping it's ported to Android and other iOS platforms but there seems to be some conflict with the publisher and they barely got this game out. I'd love to see the engine itself released to the public.

Device 6 is a little bit more involved than what you're asking but it's a visual novel where decisions are based on words and photos.

This is diving more into adventure game territory but there's Kentucky Route 0 which is a point and click game but doesn't really have puzzles. It's basically a moody visual novel (there are even lengthy text-only sections) and all the decisions you make establish things about your character's past and why he's here. It's not as hands free or open as you're asking but it's good.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

my dad posted:

It's an OK game, I guess. Haven't played it much since every time I get a particularly competent survivor, he/she is black and gets murdered by a racist survivor. And then everyone gets eaten by zombies.

I might have to play this game, now.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Penakoto posted:

What are some current-gen games where leveling up is particularly fun and eventful? Lots of points to allocate, things like perks or new abilities to choose from, lots of ways to specialize your character, etc etc.

Been playing a lot of games recently where leveling up has been nothing but a fixed stat upgrade and a health bar refill, now I'm craving something where I spend a good several minutes per level up, weighing my options and planning things out.

This is Path of Exile's skill tree. It dwarfs the sphere grid in FFX.

Path of Exile is a free-to-play Diablo clone. There's no bullshit f2p barriers like energy or timers. The only real money items are cosmetic.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

What are the best PSP RPGs? I've played Persona 3 and I have Crisis Core. Not sure what else is out there. For reference, my favourite JRPGs are Persona 4, FF7,Chrono Trigger, and Xenogears.

Since you mention liking traditional style RPGs there's Brave Story, Lunar Silver Star Harmony (a remake of Silver Star Story), the two Star Ocean remakes, Valkyrie Profile Lenneth, Tales of Eternia (released in English in Europe), Ys Seven and the Oath in Felghana, and PoPoLoCrois (a combination enhanced-port of a bunch of obscure Japan only PS1 RPGs).

If you want to go non-traditional there's 3rd Birthday (which is actually decent, it just ruins Aya's character like Other M ruined Samus), Hexyz Force, ZHP Unlosing Ranger (Mystery Dungeon style game), Class of Heroes 2 (Wizardry style), Fate/Extra, Riviera (warning: anime as gently caress), Knights in the Nightmare, Gods Eater Burst (faster Monster Hunter), Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, and Tales of the World.

And if you haven't played Final Fantasy Tactics then definitely get War of the Lions which has a (much needed) new translation. If your PSP is hacked there's even a patch that smooths some of the framerate issues. And if you like FFT there was an update of Tactics Ogre you should get as well. Level-5 also released a pretty good SRPG called Jeanne D'Arc.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 19, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

I'm looking for simulation games in these categories:

Nuclear/Global War
Stock Market
Business

Are there any good games in these categories? I've tried Defcon (a bit esoteric for me), GameBiz 3 (loving hard as balls), Capitalism 2 (really, really outdated), Game Dev Tycoon (too easy and the AI is really weird when it comes to judging your games. Are there any goon recommendations to scratch my sim itch?

I'd love a stock market simulator that isn't encapsulated in a browser that requires me to continue to log in every day. Ideally, I'd like something I can play with for an hour, make or lose money, and then not worry about it until I feel like playing again.

These games used to be a dime a dozen in the good ol' days. Get DOSbox, hit an abandonware website, and try Shadow President. It probably hasn't aged well but why no one in the year 2014 has bothered to update that game is beyond me. Today's political climate would be perfect for it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Xeras posted:

I'm actually in the middle of Divinity: Original Sin but I'd like something less arcane on the side. By Baldur's Gate type I mean I'm not after BG2, Icewind Dale, type suggestions. I'd like something reasonably light akin to Final Fantasy type series.

You're not going to find much on the PC then unless you dig really old or emulate console games. Square did a bang up port of The Last Remnant which made a mediocre console game pretty good. Anachronox is old but a favorite of mine. It's a console style RPG set in a Douglas Adams-esque galaxy with talking planets, superheroes, and clockwork worlds. Really great writing, probably the most inventive script I've seen in an RPG but it has pacing issues and ends on a frustrating cliffhanger.

Septerra Core is basically JRPG: The PC game. Another oldie with odd pacing issues but it wears its influence on its sleeve.

Driftmoon passed under a lot of people's radars. It's a simplistic top down ARPG but with a focus on exploration and world building, almost like Ultima 7-lite.

You may also be interested in the Spiderweb games like Avernum. It's more tabletop-style but the mechanics are light enough that you can play it casually. It's the rare kind of RPG I can put down for months then instantly know what I was doing when I pick it up again.

e: Ooh, Shadowrun Returns might be up your alley.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pengu! posted:

I'm looking for a game on the PS2 that I can just pop in and chill out to while listening to a podcast after school/work. Something that you can progress in and has some semblance of a story, but not so much that you'd have to divots your full attention to it. I'm considering getting Disgaea 2, but was wondering if there were any other games that would fit that criteria.

This is basically how I played Dragon Quarter, Wild Arms 3 and Alter Code F, and Dark Cloud. They work very well because they have no voiced dialog so you can safely mute the TV and listen to whatever else.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Xeras posted:

I went ahead and picked up Ultimate Fallout: New Vegas since it was on sale. Are there any mods I need for a first time playthrough? Edit: Or fanpatches, I guess.

You'll want the New Vegas Script Extender and CASM. New Vegas has an issue where if the save file gets too big it can corrupt. CASM auto-saves in several slots at frequent intervals which is a godsend for big RPGs.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Parker Lewis posted:

I'm getting ready to trade in my 360 because I also have a PS3 and PC and there doesn't seem to be much reason to keep the 360 around anymore.

Are there any 360-exclusive games that I might regret missing out on? I've played Gears of War 1 (liked it), Fable 2 (meh), and a couple of Halo games (meh). Other than that I feel like most everything I'd want to play is also available on either PC or at least PS3.

Here's a list of exclusive games although it doesn't contain all the XBLA exclusive titles. My 360 is basically an Arcade machine and I keep it around for when I want to finish Banjo Kazooie and Perfect Dark.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Wow. The people who recommended I keep going with King of Dragon Pass were right, this game is amazing. There are some little niggling complaints I have. The sheer number of deities and lack of explanation of what they do keeps me in the dark wrt a lot of choices, like picking ring members and sacrificing for boons. The whole trade/alliance/feud system would be easier to grapple with if there weren't so many nebulous clans to deal with. A lot of the diplomacy involving numbers and sacrifices confuse me. At the same time, these issues make you rely on your ring members and it's a treat to see what they have to say about each issue, even though I constantly forget what they're good at/which gods they worship. A real good find overall.

I watched some LP videos of Divinity: Dragon Commander, and while I like a lot of it, I really dislike the Total War-esque map and starcraft-like RTS. While I like decision-making and balancing race relations, the "hot-button issues of modern politics" angle rubs me the wrong way. If it goes low enough on sale I will definitely consider picking it up though.

Does the PC version have the in-game codex like the iOS version? You should read it if it does but you should definitely read the manual which has a follow along tutorial.

Play the game until you feel like you can't legitimately progress then read the manual ear to ear. I hope A# does a PC update because the portable versions streamline a lot of unnecessary micromanagement.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Len posted:

This seems like a pretty good place to ask. I'm looking for something on a handheld with a "city building" sort of miniquest. Like how in Suikoden as you recruit people you see your city flesh out, Bravely Default how you can rebuild that city that got destroyed, same minigame in Xenoblade Chronicles.

I like seeing the world kind of change and grow as I play. I don't know how many games like that exist on handhelds so I'm open to all suggestions really but handheld would be ideal.

MGS Peace Walker lets you build Mother Base which I really enjoyed as a mini-game. I also like playing it on PSP more because the micro-levels work better when I'm trying to fall asleep in bed.

To a lesser extent Infinite Space which doesn't have base building but you do recruit a ton of people and assign them to your fleet which triggers that "gotta catch em all" mentality in me.

Robo Reagan posted:

Are there any games for the 360 where choice matters? My girlfriend likes sitting on the couch and watching me play games, and when there's something to do besides kill a room full of dudes she can get involved and have a bit more fun with it.

Not getting Mass Effect. EA can eat a dick for selling a $60 box labeled Mass Effect Trilogy then charging ~$80 if you want all the DLC.

Get any of Telltale's games. Whenever I'm listening to my podcasts and people are talking about The Walking Dead or The Wolf Among Us it's something along the lines of "My significant other loves this game because they can interject over my shoulder." If you have a PS3 then get Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls. You and your girlfriend can share a laugh as you manhandle the controller to take a shower or torture Ellen Page.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Looking for a game with the following characteristics:

PC
Has depth to it, but can be played for short periods.
Possibility of online play. but not always and this is not that necessary.

Yeah, it's hard. The amount of time I can play varies a lot, so MMO's are out. I liked things like Fallout, Skyrim, etc. My go to used to be World of Tanks but I am burnt out on that. I have been thinking Dark Souls 1 or 2, but it looks too much like a console game, and people seem to have a bad opinion of it. I wouldn't mind some of the F2P games like Warframe, but they are always online and co op, and I get interrupted a lot.

Geez, that sounds more like I don't know what I want and that is probably true. What's something I can get drawn into if I have the time, but if I don't, or life keeps interrupting me, I can still do something for 15 minutes?

This is going to sound like a joke but I've been playing Puzzle Quest since January and it's my go-to pick up and play game. I can put 10 minutes or an hour into it and still feel like I'm accomplishing something.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

StoryTime posted:

I'd like to point out Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes, it's in my opinion superior to the Puzzle Quest games, and pretty much to any other match-tiles type of game. I've played Puzzle Quest 2, and Puzzle Kingdoms. They're more grindy, and fine and good you're really just looking to waste time. If you're looking for a well designed puzzle game with gripping game mechanisms, I'd grab Clash of Heroes.

I need to get around to playing this so I'll take it as a recommendation.

I also really love Half Minute Hero.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

LordHippoman posted:

I've been playing lots of Diablo 2/3 and Marvel Heroes lately, any of that sort of ARPG out for the 3DS? DS games would work too, of course.

Children of Mana on DS and Shining Soul 2 on GBA are alright but the genre is kind of sparse on handhelds.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

a cat youtube posted:

Im looking for a rpg that has base building as a huge component.

Something sort of like suikoden, one of my favorite parts of that game was upgrading your castle as you played.

I've heard skies of arcadia has a similar thing with your ship and crew in the later chapters, any other reccomendations?

On the traditional RPG side Breath of Fire 2 and 3, Atelier Meruru and Xenoblade Chronicles have build/recruit town portions. Azure Dreams is a Mystery Dungeon style game where you can build up your town in between dungeon runs that opens up new quests. To a lesser extent there's Bravely Default where the town building is basically just a few menu options.

On the more action side is Actraiser, a classic example. Dark Cloud is built entirely around recreating destroyed towns. Dark Cloud 2 has a simpler town building mechanic but it's a far better game than the original. The spiritual successors White Knight Chronicles and its sequel feature a detailed town creation system. Little King's Story is best described as Pikmin mixed with a town builder. Depths of Peril and Hinterland are Diablo-esque games based around town building and adventuring.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as King is a straight city building simulator but it plays similar to Majesty in that you set bounties for adventurers to go out and fight monsters to bring back materials to build your town with.

Legend of Mana is about placing world components on a big map, no actual recruiting or anything, but it's one of the most user-input friendly RPGs I've played. You can forge weapons, create magic, the placement of levels effects a levels attributes, the story is non-linear, you can even program your very own robot guardian.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Terry van Feleday posted:

I'm looking for some decent local multi player games for PC. No particular preferences regarding genre or playstyle, just something where you can sit down with a pal and just play a quick match or whatever. What's some good places to start?

Bonus points if they can run on a laptop that's kind of falling apart.

Towerfall, Divekick, and Monaco.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pyromancer posted:

Nothing beat Akella's pirate games yet, however buggy and ugly those were. That is Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales and Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships; I don't even know where can you buy it these days.
There is Pirates Odyssey:To Each His Own on steam, the next part on same old engine, but it's only in Russian and only sold in Russia region, translation is coming soon(tm) for 2 years: http://steamcommunity.com/app/223330
Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag is kind of like pirates, but it's naval battles are actiony and simplistic compared even to Pirates.

Man, have they been using the engine from Sea Dogs back in 2000 this whole time? Age of Pirates could easily pass for Pirates of the Caribbean.

Wasn't there a pirate MMO as well? Looks like the pirate genre ship has sailed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It goes without saying, but if you liked Resident Evil 4 have you played the Dead Space series? The third game pretty much goes full action but the first two are slower, more brooding horror action games.