Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I've been playing Earthtongue which is a little ecosystem simulation sandbox game and I wonder if there are any other games like that.

I also liked Cell Lab and Waking Mars a lot. I could give SimLife or SimEarth a try but most reviews claim they really are chore to play so if there's anything better that would be great.

Spore is obviously not what I'm looking after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Caufman posted:

What are some unusual roguelikes that I might have missed over the years? I'm not super interested in going down a dungeon, but Liberal Crime Squad or Armoured Commander caught my attention, as well as survival roguelikes like UnReal World, Neo Scavanger and Cataclysm.

Caves of Qud is great and is getting better every day

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

bloodclot posted:

This post grew a little unwieldy, but if you can be bothered to suffer through it I'd appreciate some recommendations!

That new Planescape game that's coming soon ; Numenera. Or Waking Mars, Limbo or Inside for shorter games. Those two have very neat atmospheres.

Other possible recommendations could be Dishonored or Abzu.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 7, 2017

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

bloodclot posted:

Thank you for the response! I've played Inside, which was impressive, but it left me feeling underwhelmed by Limbo (I probably should have played it first). I've had my eye on Abzu for some time but I was waiting to see what the general reception was before buying it. I haven't heard of Waking Mars, but the concept of studying an ancient extraterrestrial ecosystem has me intrigued. I think I'll be picking this one up!

I really loved Waking Mars. It clicks all the right buttons for me; hard sci-fi, metroidvania, ecosystem sandbox.

Abzu on the other hand is more of a contemplative experience about exploring beautiful aquatic landscapes, swimming with manta rays and plesiosaurs and discovering some lore. That's pretty much it. It's short and not challenging, but it's a cool eye-candy, especially on a big screen with a controller.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
The new Torment game comes out this month and I have high hopes for it.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Wasteland 2? Arx fatalis? Wizardry 8?

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 8, 2017

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Probottt posted:

My brother is looking for some more games to get his wife for her steam account, but they're having a hard time finding games. She has a top-of-the-line machine, for reference. She like playing co-op games with my brother, and her two current favorite games are Left 4 Dead 2 and Don't Starve Together. She tried Factorio but she doesn't seem to like it as much as Don't Starve. My brother also got her the Borderlands franchise but they haven't gotten around to playing it. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Overcooked

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Struensee posted:

Suggestions for couch co-op or versus games for 4 players? Already have magicka 2, helldivers, sonic all stars racing, street fighter 4, bro force, worms, gauntlet and forced.

I'm not going to explain in details why you need to buy Overcooked. I'm just going to tell you what all my friends said when I invited them for a couch gaming night, playing Overcooked with four controllers until 2AM

quote:

It's the best game of the year

e: OK, Towerfall is nice too.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 10, 2017

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Monk E posted:

So I just ended up digging out my old ds because apparently the ds version of battle network 5 isn't 3ds compatible and figured I might as well take advantage of the newfound knowledge that my ds survived years of abandonment any notable obscure game boy advance rpgs you can recommend only really developed more of a taste for them as I got older so I the only ones I played back then were pokemon and battle network.

RPGs:

FF6
Golden Sun
Mother 3
Lunar Legend

Action-RPGs:

Zelda
Boktai
Sword of Mana
Summon Night
Mario & Luigi

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Queering Wheel posted:

What are some games where you can be like John Wick and get brutal, quick kills on loads of enemies, using guns and hand to hand combat?

You mean like Doom?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Flopstick posted:

Okay, so this is from a couple of weeks ago, but: Max Payne, my dude. Max Payne and Max Payne 2 (and maybe 3, I dunno, I heard 3 was a bit crap) are the John Wickest games. No finishing moves as such, but you won't miss them when you're diving down a flight of stairs in slow-mo, firing akimbo uzis at a gas tank.

Also best use of a constipated face in a video game imho

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Blowdryer posted:

With the new Zelda game out I am craving an adventure game of some sort. I might play ocarina of time again but I was curious what other games of this type there are?

I'm thinking something in the vein of a third person action adventure game like Zelda/OoT/Fable 1. Any ideas?

e; also should that add my options are pc or android.

Darksiders 2 (or 1 but 2 is better) is basically PC Zelda

Rise of the tomb raider is also good.

So is Barman Arkham city.

Plenty of good options available

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 5, 2017

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

sean10mm posted:

What PC game should I get if I want to play an action RPG that's a) actually good and b) has really good graphics?

Rise of the tomb raider

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Turtlicious posted:

I want to play one of those "Choose your own Story" games like Torment, or Planescape, but I want it to be turn based combat.

Much lighter and on mobile, but the sorcery series from inkle is very good. It's literally a choose your own adventure game with more modern stuff.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
e: already recommended

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Purple Monkey posted:

I haven't read any reviews for Dawn of War 3, what's wrong with it? I liked the first one and Dark Crusade but wasn't keen on changes they made to 2

Judging from the user reviews they removed many of the things that made their early RTS like DoW and CoH original and interesting games (customization, dynamic campaign, destructible cover and morale, sync kills) and increased the annoying ones (too much micro, elite units too powerful)

Of course it's all subjective, some will say they tried to make it more of a Starcraft/MOBA mix and those are not bad games at all. Just don't expect a modern DoW 1

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 11:55 on May 4, 2017

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Fruits of the sea posted:

This is confusing because I liked all of the elements you listed, including the excessive micro and crazy boss units. Then again Dark Crusade is the only rts I've played where I wished I could zoom further out in order to micro properly. It was always a struggle against the UI, and it sounds like the devs couldn't figure out how to improve on it.

There are people who like the game and say it's good so maybe it's worth a shot for you

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Police Automaton posted:

Recommend me something incredibly complicated that will have tons of game mechanics and will break my brain with complexity and detail teetering on the unnecessary. Something in the vein of Dwarf Fortress maybe. Building games like Space Engineers, Minecraft etc. don't really count, else the genre doesn't matter. I also know Cataclysm:DDA and all the paradox games like Crusder Kings II, Stellaris etc..

The other recommendations are already good and I will add the Zachtronics game.

Infinifactory and Spacechem don't have tons of mechanics but they can be devilishly complicated.

TIS-100 and Shenzen I/O though look so complex they frighten me.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Bob NewSCART posted:

Good split screen/couch co op PS4 games? Doesn't really matter the genre or anything like that, just not some arcade bejewelled like garbage

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

K8.0 posted:

1. Fun driving mechanics. Most games are either super arcadey or very strictly simmy. The problem with sim games is that the fun part of racing is driving as hard as possible, but once you cross the edge of control you're done. I'm looking for something where there's play on both sides of that line, and adaptation to be made.
2. Pack racing type stuff. Most games you're expected to win every race and really your goal is just to get in the lead and then drive optimally for the rest of the race, which is really boring. Going the with previous thing, I want a game where you are usually going to be in a pack of cars and dealing with that keeps the track from being completely rote. I don't know why it's not a thing but there don't seem to be many single player games that are designed around the idea of racing seasons and actually having to win on points.
3. Car modification. Not the boring "every car gets 3 tiers of performance upgrades" crap but more interesting stuff.

sounds like F-Zero GX

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I enjoy Cataclysm: DDA quite a bit, but the developers have long since disappeared up their own asses, leaving the half-finished endgame untouched and in the mean time just adding more and more busy work / maintenance to the process of survival. ("You have to keep your character clean or they won't be happy! You have to eat a balanced diet or you'll get scurvy!" etc.)

I'm also a pretty big fan of Don't Starve, but the ultra-simple, not-very-satisfying combat and the fact that everything you own degrades over time is kind of a turn-off. However, Don't Starve gets something right that a lot its near-relatives don't: it's about a mixture of exploration, building, survival, and fighting, with a fixed end goal that you can get to when you feel like it, not over- or under-emphasizing any one of those elements.

So, with my reaction to those two games in mind, what else is good in the survival game genre?

I have my eyes on The Long Dark but since it's still in development I haven't jumped in yet.

Your post made me want to try their sandbox survival mode

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

basalt posted:

I like to indulge in games with small, focused narratives (and optionally, interesting puzzles or environments to explore) while slowly working my way through more traditional games centered around combat and ever-increasing numbers. Unfortunately, while games with hundreds of hours of content are seemingly everywhere, more compact experiences are harder to find. I've been playing a lot of Elder Scrolls Online lately, and have been itching for something with a bolder creative direction to break up the monotony that MMORPGs often entail.

The games don't need to be masterpieces, but I would prefer reasonably high production values, or at least some sense of aesthetic cohesion. I have access to a PC and a PS3.

Some games that I really enjoyed that meet these requirements:
Kentucky Route Zero
The Talos Principal
The Swapper
The Witness
Botanicula
Samorost
Future Unfolding
Journey
ABZU

Other games that weren't personal favourites but still satisfied this particular need:
Oxenfree
Gone Home
What Remains of Edith Finch
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
Firewatch
Life is Strange
Night in the Woods
Primordia
Shardlight
Resonance
Gemini Rue
Blackwell Legacy, Unbound, Convergence, Deception, and Epiphany

Games you might suggest that didn't work for me:
The Stanley Parable
The Beginner's Guide
Technobabylon
Virginia

I can expand on my reasons for the above selections if you think it will be of some use!

You might want to check:
  • Layers of Fear
  • The Solus Project
  • Kona
to see if they click. Note that I haven't played any of them.

Other games I enjoyed which you might like:
  • Waking Mars
  • Limbo
  • Inside
  • Papers Please
  • Fez

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

basalt posted:

This is second time Waking Mars has been suggested to me in this thread, although last time I decided not to purchase it after some hesitation. What did you like about it?

The feeling of exploring and trying to understand an alien ecosystem, playing with it, and eventually becoming part of a larger plot. Though the game is not very long, I enjoyed every minute of it so much that I replayed it twice.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

StrixNebulosa posted:

I am really digging Massive Chalice's...eh.... bloodline/breeding gameplay. Marry heroes, follow the traits, pray things work out, etc

You are ready for the next level

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

5thMouseButton posted:

Looking for some good couples games, as in, couch cuddle and play/watch together types. Something that a non-gamer could follow easily like Life is Strange or TellTale's Walking Dead. More relaxed and slow paced, having a nice story is a plus, one or two player, and PC.

TellTale's Borderlands was good

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Pyrocat posted:

I'm looking for a space or air pirate game.

Crimson Skies !

Pyrocat posted:

but I can't handle another 3D space dogfighting sim.

oh...

Well then, maybe FTL, SPAZ or Rebel Galaxy

e: not air pirates but I'm currently playing AC Black Flag for the first time and it's really a fun pirate game.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 20, 2017

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
The Serious Sam games are very serious FPS

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

HairyManling posted:

I'm looking for something to coop

It's always Overcooked

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

credburn posted:

Hey dudes, what's a really good old-school first-person four-person-party turn-based dungeon crawler a la Wizardry, Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, etc. that I can play on my Android? I've already played through Legend of Grimrock and that was pretty swell, but I'm really looking for something specifically turn-based. Also: not free. Microtransactions and the mobile game standards are infuriating to me. I don't want to juggle "energy" or "fuel" or "torch light" or whatever the gently caress, I don't want a ten thousand gold bonus for logging in two days in a row, and I don't want to tell all my friends about my game. I just want to play a game as though it were a game and didn't feel like a scam.

Edit to add: Also one that has a story.

I've read a few times that "The Quest" exactly fits your bill and is good (e: not four-person-party though)

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

basalt posted:

This is an odd one (and I do apologise for constantly asking for suggestions here), but does anybody know of any games that use pixel art in interesting ways?

Dead cells is going to be an excellent game with pretty pixel art. Still in beta though

e: I suppose Fez and Kingdom also have a style reminiscent of your interests

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 15, 2017

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Ignite Memories posted:

What are the best local multiplayer games for pc/mac? I'm getting a second steam controller and I want my computer to be more like a super nintendo. Co-op, vs, i just wanna have games to play in my living room.

Currently playing Death Road to Canada and Crawl, and I enjoy both of them very much. Rogue-lite elements are appreciated.

I recommend all these for up to 4 players couch gaming fun:

- Overcooked (great coop fun)
- Rocket league (car soccer)
- Sonic & all stars racing transformed (Mario Kart on PC)
- Rayman Legends/Origin (coop platform)
- Broforce (rogue-like coop contra)
- Towerfall ascension (2D PVP)
- Guacamelee (coop platform)
- Battleblock theater (coop platform)
- Jamestown (coop SHMUP)

Divinity original sin is also supposed to have a fun local coop campaign but I never tried it.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Boz0r posted:

My nephew is turning 5 soon, and I've made a RetroPie for him. Which games should I put on it that won't beat his rear end too hard? He's never tried any consoles before.

Battletoads

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Guavatin posted:

I'm looking for games that would trigger my fear of giant sea creatures underwater. Examples include:

Endless Ocean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyx-NlfQvfs

Resident Evil 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQUdg0eztx0

and of course, subnautica (I don't have too many examples)

Maybe Abzu?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

bewilderment posted:

I need cool PC games that I can play while my girlfriend watches and enjoys them. I think I posted in this thread before but whatevs I need more recommendations.

The 'trick' is that these need to work with a Steam controller so we can play on a big TV.

General hint is to stay away from 'obvious' answers because I've already considered them.

Games that worked well:
Prey (2017) - (she loved it)
Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines (currently playing, she also loves it and laughs at the gothy-ness of it)
Firewatch
Her Story - I have a couch keyboard
SOMA
What Remains of Edith Finch
Dyscourse
Tales from the Borderlands
Life is Strange
Herald
Journey

Games that worked OK:
Deus Ex MD - was actually really kinda boring?
Horizon Zero Dawn - yeah I have a PS4 too but anyway it's cool but all the exploration could be a little dull to watch
Pyre - too much reading to be a 2-player couch experience
Dishonored 2 - seemed a good bet after Prey, but was a bit too slow, the way I play anyway

Basically, stuff that has a good story combined with somewhat entertaining gameplay. Not necessarily limited to walking-sims or 'immersive sims' or telltale games but that's what's kinda worked so far.

edit to say: she's also played Skyrim and Dragon Age to death herself, any by her own admission the new Fallouts are not a good option.

Alien isolation
Batman Arkham Asylum/City
Sleeping Dogs
GTA 5
Mad Max
Alan Wake
Far cry series (my GF likes watching me spear hunt wooly rhinos in Primal)
Witcher 3

also I heard the couch coop in Divinity Original sin is fun.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

bewilderment posted:

and she really enjoyed Sleeping Dogs and is mad I played through it myself and not with her

did you do GTA V too? It's pretty close and I can see it as fun to watch.

Also since you like Tales from the Borderlands, what about the other good telltales like Walking Dead, Fables or Batman?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Really Pants posted:

If you want high production values in a Steam castletroidia, you can't do much better than Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition.

This, guacamelee and shadow complex (which is free)

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Time_pants posted:

I adore games with a lot of weapon variety; Dead Cells especially has a ton of weapons that feel really unique and fundamentally change the way you play the game. Is there anything out there that fits the bill, or should I just wait for Dead Cells to be finished?

I similarly enjoy Dead Cells and recommend you try Castlevania Aria of Sorrow on your PC

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Q8ee posted:

Looking for a game like Rust / ARK / 7 Days To Die. The kind where you can craft tools, go out and harvest resources, base build and survive. Preferably not in a spoopy setting. The Long Dark sorta is what I'm looking for, but not completely. I need me some good hatchet to the tree nourishment.

Maybe not what you're looking for but Subnautica and No Man's Sky fit the bill, and Far Cry Primal survival mode is also a neat experience

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Getsuya posted:

My wife has played her way through almost all the big popular PS3 titles and I'm scrambling to find something else for her to play. She has played:
The Bioshocks
The Uncharteds
The Assassins Creeds
The Infamouses
The Batmans
The Last of Us
Heavy Rain
Dishonored

Things she likes: Relatable characters and stories that make her feel. Collectibles that give good rewards for tracking them down.
Favorites: The Last of Us and Infamous
Things she hates: RPGs, characters she thinks are douchebags. Also characters who swear too much. She made an exception for Last of Us because she really liked the characters.
Games she's dropped due to hating the main character: AC4, Prototype
I guarantee she's not going to like any GTA/Rockstar games because she doesn't like playing a criminal type (that's sort of why she hated AC4), plus they're pretty sweary.

Any suggestions?

Edit: and they've gotta be PS3

I hereby suggest Life is Strange

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Lemon posted:

A couple of my favourite games in recent years were Undertale and Night in the Woods. I think they shared a few similar aspects that I liked, particularly:

Funny dialogue
Small cast of well-defined characters
Excellent soundtrack (possibly the most important part)
Underlying melancholy

I'm on PC and I'm open to any suggestions that might fit the bill. I've heard that Life is Strange is popular with the Undertale/NITW crowd but I watched a bit of the newest one and it really didn't appeal, mainly because I thought the dialogue and particularly the voice acting was pretty bad. In fact, not having voice acting might be another thing from those two games that worked for me.

Maybe Oxenfree ? (I don't know I never tried it)