Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Eggie posted:

Could anyone recommend some good Civilization 4 mods? I typically look for mods that add lots of content or change the game to fantasy/sci-fi settings, but any stand out mods would be appreciated.

Fall from Heaven 2 is the obvious one. In case you haven't heard of it, it's a total conversion that changes the civilizations into various fantasy races, ranging from dwarves to vampires. The fantasy setting is a world approaching an apocalyptic event about to turn everything into a smouldering hellscape. All kinds of nasty things start to happen as the apocalypse advances. Tiles start to turn into ruined versions, and really powerful monster creatures appear on the map wreaking havoc.

The races have much more pronounced differences than the civs in the vanilla game. The tech tree is also completely reworked, with most of the original techs completely gone, replaced by new ones introducing magic spells and other such stuff. It's less deep, but a lot wider, again encouraging wildly different strategies for the different races. Leaders for the races are divided along an good/neutral/evil axis, and diplomatic alliances tend to form across those lines. Good races want to prevent the apocalypse from advancing to preserve their land, and evil ones just want everything to burn since they are typically better at surviving the worse conditions.

Everything is not super well documented in the civilopedia, but there are outside sources you can look up. Or, you know, just wing it. It's a lot slower paced than the standard game anyway, since the map in the beginning is full of very strong wandering monsters which make rapid expansion practically impossible.

Better BUG AI is what I have installed for standard Civ 4 play. This is a fairly old merged mod, and I haven't really been following up if there's been something that supersedes this. It's convenient and has worked fine for me. It combines the Better BTS AI mod, which significantly improves the way AI civs play the game, and the BTS Unaltered Gameplay mod, which provides a far more information rich UI, and lots of customization options.

The civfanatics modpacks forums has a bunch of stuff as well, if you want to browse. I can only vouch for the two I mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

al-azad posted:

This is going to sound like a joke but I've been playing Puzzle Quest since January and it's my go-to pick up and play game. I can put 10 minutes or an hour into it and still feel like I'm accomplishing something.

I'd like to point out Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes, it's in my opinion superior to the Puzzle Quest games, and pretty much to any other match-tiles type of game. I've played Puzzle Quest 2, and Puzzle Kingdoms. They're more grindy, and fine and good if you're really just looking to waste time. If you're looking for a well designed puzzle game with gripping game mechanisms, I'd grab Clash of Heroes.

edit: grammar

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 22, 2014

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

nachos posted:

Any other instant respawn with notable soundtracks like vvvvvv, super meat boy, hotline miami, etc?

Shatter is a breakout game with a ripping soundtrack and a tight gameplay loop.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

unterdude posted:

I'm back in the real world after literally not having internet or a PC for the past 22 months. (Drug addiction, rehab, blah blah blah).

I'm getting back into the PC game, and I'd like you recommendations for good games from the past ~4ish years? What are the big multiplayer games (FPS, MMO) out that goons are playing right now? Also, I dig big RPGs with huge worlds, backstories, lore like Morrowind, Dragon Age, and also strategy and sandbox games a la Civ and Tropico. Also, Sandbox games. It's realllly hard to sort through all the noise these days. Thanks

The new Divinity: Original Sin is an RPG with a nice Infinity engine vibe to it. The biggest difference is that battle works on a turn-based action point system, instead of real-time with pause. Civ V also turned out okay with the Gods & Kings and Brave New World expansion packs.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

I want a First Person Shooter that has really good movement and skill stuff. Like I want to set traps, teleport around, and gently caress people up. Not Dishonored though, because I've already played that.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution has a lot of fun skills to mess around with. You can't teleport, but you can turn invisible, deploy mines, punch through walls, and throw refrigerators at people. Both of the Dishonored DLCs are also pretty good, in case you haven't played those yet.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Charles Bukowski posted:

I need another top down turned based strategy game I can play while I watch tv. Something that doesn't require sound/music to listen to, or constant attention. Fantasy related if possible. Thanks!

e: That isn't Shadowrun.

Card Hunter, if you don't mind some free-to-play trappings. There's a bunch of content available without paying, and no dumb energy system.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

al-azad posted:

Teeechnically you have to wait a bit for completed maps to open back up for replay but I only think it's a few hours.

It's heavily skill based so grinding for equipment isn't as important as smart play. There's a large variety of equipment and cards so you can customize your characters pretty freely. The premium currency is used to get cosmetics, some exclusive side-quests, and an additional item drop but equipment is level based. You can't pay-to-win because you need to be at a certain point to equip good items and multiplayer fixes levels to put everyone on equal footing.

It's definitely one of the most reasonable F2P games I've played.

Yeah, now that I think of it, it does lock the quests after completion for a while, and I guess after running out of retries (not that I've ever ran out, I'm just that good :smug:). I think you'd have to poopsock it pretty hard to run out of anything useful to do, though.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Geektox posted:

I'm going to NYC and Toronto for a few days and I'd like something to play on flights and offtime. I got some browser games (Xperteleven, Nile Online and Card Hunters). Need some offline games, preferably something really replayable, like Zafehouse. I don't like ToME and Factorio that much.

Desktop Dungeons?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

jerichojx posted:

What's a good RPG that is similar to either MM6, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale?

I have played the recent Might and Magic and I didn't like it very much. I have also tried Arcanum and ToEE.

Is Divinity: Original Sin replacing Dark Souls as the game everyone recommends to everyone? If you like Infinity Engine style RPGs, you'll like Original Sin.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Ziji posted:

I'm really into games that give very little to no exposition, and you spend the game trying to uncover what is going on. Whether it be a point and click adventure game, or (more preferably) a first person exploration game. Gone Home is probably my favorite game, and until Firewatch or Routine come out, I'm kind of stuck. I'm told the Myst series is really, really good and pretty much fits the bill for me but I was wondering if anyone knew any others. I'm kind of rambling here, but pretty much any game that has you exploring and investigating something that happened (whether it be deep sea exploration, a space station gone dark, etc), like reading emails or journals to piece together what's happening/happened, is what I'm interested in. First Person is a plus but not a requirement!

fake edit: I've already played Dear Esther as well

There are plenty of horror games with that sort of premise, if you don't mind horror elements and/or clunky combat at times. To point out something a bit off-beat, Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason is a weird Ukrainian first-person sort of horror-ish game, where you explore a nuclear powered icebreaker that got caught in ice near the North Pole for unknown reasons. And if you can deal with that, then there's always Pathologic.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

Can someone suggest some games that (a) are free or relatively cheap, (b) have online multiplayer, and (c) would be interesting to watch? A friend of mine does a regular video stream, and I'd like to get into some co-op action with him.

The Warhammer 40k RTS games might fit the bill.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

prometheusbound2 posted:

I am looking for:

1.) The best interactive fictions

The Interactive Fiction Competition is where you go for IF, the best placing games tend to be very good. Check out "Shrapnel", abailable here: http://adamcadre.ac/if.html for a specific game.

These are more like classic text adventures than IF, but I'd recommend the Frederick Pohl's Gateway games. They are fun sci-fi stories based on Pohl's novels, with pictures and a really good UI for the time.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

Are there any single player RPGs with Tab targeting, auto-attacking MMO type combat where the challenge comes from figuring out and optimizing the best spell/ability rotations? I need a single player game to curb my craving for WoW.

Guild Wars 1 works very well as a single player RPG, as you can grab fully customizable NPCs to fight with you. Just start with Nightfall or grab the Eye of the North expansion, and you'll get your Hero followers. There's no need to party with other players, the Hero NPCs and mercenaries will perform better anyway. The entire skill system of the game is built around choosing combinations of skills and using them efficiently. There's a passable high fantasy storyline in each of the stand-alone campaigns of GW.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Elswyyr posted:

This is a bit of a tricky one. I'd like a game I can play with a group of friends. It should be something with permanent and interesting character advancement, not just some FPS unlock system. It would also be cool if we could build a base or somehow make a mark on things. I guess what I'd like is an MMO that is not bad (I've played FFXIV and while it's good it doesn't really fit).

I'd second Guild Wars 2. It's a super chill game that rewards players for doing pretty much anything. The game automatically scales characters up or down in levels depending on the content you're playing, so there's no worry of someone out-leveling others even if they play more. You can also get into PvP right off the bat, since characters are always max level in PvP areas. Setting up a guild is fairly cheap as well, especially since low-level gear is better bought with Karma points instead of gold.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Chunjee posted:

Somehow thought Kingdom of Loathing XIV was an MMO in IRC after skimming the thread OP and got all excited to start writing a bot; when as I get home and review the thread I am saddened to discover my reading comprehension sucks. Can anyone suggest a RPG/MMO/MUD that I can play bot in IRC?

Alternatively something similar to Puzzles and Dragons but not on a phone.

You might be interested in the Alter Aeon MUD. As far as I can tell, it's still active, and they allow botting. However, if their automatic detector can figure out that you're a bot, the game will punish your character by removing progress, so there's actual challenge in writing a bot that's useful. Check out the specifics here to see if this is your cup of tea: http://www.alteraeon.com/articles/bots_and_botting.html

Like most MUDs, it uses Telnet, not IRC. The difference from a bot building perspective isn't big, though, and a bunch of mud specific clients (zMUD, TinyFugue) come with trappings for creating automation, making the whole thing simple to get into.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Drox Operative might be worth a look. It's an ARPG set in space. Instead of being an adventurer doing quests and killing monsters for exp and loot, you're a spaceship doing quests and killing space monsters for exp and space loot. In addition to monsters, the randomly generated sectors also contain a bunch of AI controlled stereotypical sci-fi civilizations, which play a RTS game against each other. Each tries to colonize and conquer more planets, research tech, build more ships, and generally end up at the top of the pile. You can interact with them diplomatically in various ways, with the idea being to play them against each other, and pump as much credits and loot out of them as possible, while still ending up allied with the winning side at the end. Neither the strategy part nor the combat is overly convoluted; grinding to have the biggest ship with the best selection of ship systems solves all problems. Losing the strategy game isn't a big deal either, you just miss out on some bonus loot, and then the game generates a new sector appropriate for your level.

You select your race at the beginning of the game, which determines one favorite stat you get a bonus for (stats gate what systems you can install in your ship), and an extra race specific system slot. After that you're free to experiment with all the different systems that you can buy or pick up off the space floor.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Obscurity posted:

I am recently finding that as of late none of the stuff I normally play is keeping me interested. It's becoming rather repetitive. I am looking for a change of pace for once. So here I am considering trying out some games that I've missed out on! Small caveat..I don't want to play older games. Like, I'd prefer to stick with mid-late 2000's if possible, the later the better.

Portal and Portal 2 are first person puzzle games everyone should play.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Chamale posted:

The ideal videogame experience is one where the player is always on the verge of death but never actually gets killed.

You have described chess.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Geektox posted:

PoE has summon skills but not sure how viable those are.

Like with many builds in Path of Exile, the effective way to do a summoner is to level up using other skills and then transform into summoning later. It's very possible to just not care about efficiency, and play a pure summoner anyway. A Witch is the most obvious class for a summoner, and I'd recommend going for the Minion Instability keystone node in the passive tree. This makes minions explode when they're about to die, which makes bosses and other things that can kill the horde a lot more bearable.

As a summoner in PoE you get:
  • Raise Zombie, which gets you your basic mob of mooks. You can get to 6 simultaneous zombies easily, and up to about 12 if you really push it with items and the passive tree
  • Summon Skeletons, which gets you temporary mooks which do not follow you around, but also don't require corpses
  • Raise Specter, which copies the monster abilities of the corpse used, but you only get a couple of them at a time
  • Summon Raging Spirit, which is more like a damage spell in the form of floating skulls that chase and bite monsters. They do not block monster movement
  • Vaal Summon Skeletons, which is hilarious and summons a whole mess of various skeletons including BIG SKELETON, but you'll probably have to trade for the skill gem, and it can only be used once in a while
There are also totems, golems and animated armor and weaponry, but going for those as well probably spreads the build too thin.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Capsaicin posted:

Looking for something mystery-ish or detective-ish. PC would be the easiest, don't care if it's an older game or not. I've played LA Noire, Murdered Soul Suspect, and Heavy Rain - I really liked all three of them in terms of the investigative parts. I like the idea of solving mysteries. Any thoughts?

The latter Sherlock Holmes games have been decent. Crimes & Punishments is almost 100% investigating crime scenes and interrogating suspects. The Testament of Sherlock Holmes has a bunch of quite hard logic puzzles, which don't really sit well with the game. The older games get progressively worse, with their half-baked 3d engine and general adventure game cruft making them close to incomprehensible at times.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Daily Forecast posted:

Looking for an open-world game I can kill time in.

After 150 hours of Dragon's Dogma and beating Bitterblack Isle (twice), I think I'm finally done with the game. Loved it. What are some other open-world games similar to this one that aren't Elder Scrolls? Basically I want a timesink I can play while I wait for No Man's Sky.

I love sandboxes and games where you can just kill time and gently caress around in, like Dragon's Dogma and Skyrim, but I already played the gently caress out of those. Especially if you can create/build your own character. I tried Dark Souls 2, and while I don't think "it was too hard for me" (it was pretty hard though) I just didn't really like it that much.

Guild Wars 2 turned free to play a while ago, and it's the chillest of the MMOs. From the start, you can just go after whatever seems interesting at the time, and you'll get exp and things. No need to group up with people, it's fine playing alone.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

hampig posted:

Can anyone recommend some PC third-person action games with good combat? They're usually RPGs but I'm not bothered if they aren't.

I've played and liked Dark Souls 1/2/3, Witcher 1/2/3, and DD:DA. I loved Skyrim but thought the combat was awful, and liked KoA: Reckoning a lot more than I thought I would.

I guess I'm wondering if there's anything like Devil May Cry/Bayonetta/God of War on PC.

Darksiders is 80% off at Steam right now. Imagine if God of War had 90% less QTEs and a Zelda style overworld + dungeons structure.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Shakill OReal posted:

I've played all of the classic Infinity Engine games, NWN 1&2, Divinity:OS, and Wasteland 2. What are my other options for party-based RPGs with complex character development? I love the perk overload of D&D and I want games where there's a million choices I can make with multiple party members as they level up. I've also played Might & Magic X, both Grimrock games, and Starcrawlers.

I can't really get in to Pillars of Eternity, I'm more interested in character development and combat than story and PoE's combat and levelups feel bland and underwhelming.

I always go back to the NWN2 expansion Storm of Zehir as my ideal game because there are tons of character development choices that you can make for purely roleplaying reasons that find ways to manifest in the gameplay, you have a billion classes and feats because it's NWN2 and it's the kind of story-lite explore-the-dungeons D&D I played with my friends instead of the narrative-focused book-with-gameplay-attached D&D that most PC RPGs emulate.

Temple of Elemental Evil + The Circle Of Eight mod is light on story, and has great turn-based AD&D combat. It's on GOG for 6 bux.

Edit: the mod is pretty much mandatory. Without it the game is buggy to the point of destroying its own save files.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 1, 2016

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Kalenden posted:

Is there a good singleplayer/campaign driven card game? Perhaps one of the Yu-Gi-Oh games? Platform doesn't really matter.

Check out Card City Nights on steam. It's has a zany humorous bent to it, but the card game is also very well thought out.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Caufman posted:

Recommend me some games, folks. Any genre. Please just add a reason or two why you'd recommend it.

Obscurer games work better, of course. No one needs to repost something that's been said in the last few pages.

Creeper World 3: Arc Eternal

It's a combination of tower defense and RTS, where you build static emplacements against a gray goo type of enemy. The goo flows according to a fluid dynamic system, which is the core of the game. Figure out where it's going to flow, and how to shore up before you're flooded. Your turrets and whatnot can move, but very slowly, and they cannot shoot while doing so. You'll have to push forward while protecting your infrastructure, before the goo just spills over everything.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

This is really loving stupid derail and you're all idiots.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Pitch it to me!

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Play Trails in the Sky and its sequel, SC. You'll have a really good time, as it both uses anime cliches and genuinely good writing to make its story and characters sing.

I actually remember playing that for a while, and liking it. At some point I got confused about where I was supposed to go. There were these towers with lots of fights on the way?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yup! You have to walk between towns, it's part of the plot. It's a very wordy game, so it's fortunate that it has some really good writing / a great translation.

I seem to remember fighting myself to the top of of a tower, and then progression didn't happen. Maybe I should try and figure it out again.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

If you get stuck, go back to the bracer guild and both talk to the lady you can report to (talk, not report!) - she'll usually give you a hint about where you are in the story/what you should be doing, and/or check the bulletin board to see what sidequests you're trying to finish.

Alt. open up your bracer notebook and read that, it has main quest notes!

I'll check these things out, thanks!

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Deformed Church posted:

I'm looking for a new turn based multiplayer game to play. I'm looking for something with relatively low time per game, maybe 15 minutes maximum and that doesn't require 100% attention during opponents turn times. I'm hoping for something a little more innovative than the bog standard MTG or Hearthstone style. I do enjoy opening booster packs to feed the crow in my brain, begging for more shinies. Ideally there would be an android version so I can play at work or whatever but that's not a requirement.

For reference, I loved Duelyst a couple of years ago for it's quick games, relatively friendly business model and interesting take on the CCG genre. That seems to be on life support right now though so I'm looking for a new game.

Faeria is a free to play CCG that combines a card game with a light hex-based tactical grid where your mans fight around resource points. I find it pretty good, and it's been around a while, so it has a robust feature set. No phone version.

In a somewhat strange move, they're actually moving from the FTP model to pay to play. If you create an account now, you'll essentially get the game and access to the base card set for free. After that it'll be ~$14 for future expansions if you care.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

If you're looking for offbeat, West of Loathing is a very quirky and funny RPG, that's an offshoot of an ancient browser game. Around :10bux:

INFRA is a first person adventure/walking simulator, that puts you into the boots of an structural analyst. You take photographs of decaying structures, surveying them for repairs. It does eventually get a bit more exciting than that, though. About $30.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

pthighs posted:

I'm looking for a game/games to get my 9 year old son for Christmas.

Around that age, I was struggling with the original X-Com. I had no idea what I was doing, but with infinite time and perseverance I did eventually figure out how to play it, and eventually how to beat it. I think it was a learning experience, perhaps even a formative one.

From what's been recommended above:

Creeper World 3 has a very spartan presentation, and a heady sci-fi plot that's also bad. The gameplay itself is very fun and unique take on tower defense. I love Creeper World, and I'd love to hear what a 9 year old kid who's into strategy games would think about it.

Into the Breach is another good one. It's much more strict about how it wants to be played, though. Every mission is kind of like a chess puzzle, and if you mess up even just a little bit in individual missions, your campaign will fail. Both X-Com and Creeper World give way more latitude for experimentation in that sense.

Anyway, get your kid into hardcore hex war games or some Paradox poo poo, and post the results!

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

are there any good single player rts games with a heavy emphasis on base building? They Are Billions was cool and made realize that if i'm playing strategy games single player, it's mostly because i want to build a really big wall and watch hordes of dudes try to break past it, but i have a hard time sticking with that game for other reasons. are there any alternatives?

This is a bit off the wall, but Creeper World 3? You build different turrets and some other mostly stationary units, but there's also a unit that lets you rise the elevation of the terrain. That unit can build walls and other formations. Also, the opponent isn't a horde of dudes, but instead a grey goo type of mass, which flows from emitters and tries to engulf your position. It does have this feeling of being besieged by the ever advancing goo, and having to build more and more stuff to try and stem the tide.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

are there any good stealth games where, isntead of trying to go through the level undetected, the goal is to stealthily murder all the enemies? i want a game where i feel less like a ninja, and more like a slasher movie villian, coming out of the shadows to shank an unsuspecting victim, then disappearing before his buddies can turn around and shoot me

Styx: Master of Shadows and the sequel are all about this nasty goblin who curses a lot, and really hates the human guards he kills. You can vomit up a puke clone of yourself that can hide in a container and assault bypassers, among other murder skills. There's very little point in leaving anyone alive. The gameplay is mediocre, but the killing atmosphere is top notch.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

ShootaBoy posted:

Yeah, but I'm also for looking for stuff that's like, a level above that degree of management. A bit more abstract and logistical than the more hands on type of Stardew and such.

edit: it also doesn't need to be farming specifically, that was just the first thing that came to mind trying to describe what I'm looking for.

LOGistICAL?

"LOGistICAL is a strategy puzzle game where you transport different cargoes to complete all the towns throughout the country. The whole game is a huge puzzle while each town is its own little piece of puzzling"

https://store.steampowered.com/app/573060/LOGistICAL/

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Into the Breach. Each map only lasts a couple of minutes, you can save during or between missions, and you can get through an entire run of the game in 40-60 minutes.

Seconding this. It's an excellent game, and functions a lot like a chess puzzle, with a bit of added randomness so you don't actually need to do deep calculations.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Naramyth posted:

I’m looking for a game that has combat like age of wonders planetfall without having to play a civ game between the fun parts. I like xcom but it’s a little small scale. I’d like more than 6 units to push around

Fantasy General II is a modern sequel to a classic hex based wargame, I haven't had time to play it yet but I've heard good things. You manage your army and equip your hero between battles, but there's no base building.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1025440/Fantasy_General_II/

Battle for Westnoth is a classic open source and free strategy game with a ton of high quality user made campaigns. Even less management in this one, you buy units from castles, and they gain experience during a campaign, but that's about it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/599390/Battle_for_Wesnoth/

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

McFrugal posted:

I've been playing Divinity: Original Sin 2 and while I like the combat system the plot is kindof miserable and long-winded. What other turn-based RPGs are there with good combat systems and exploration, but less of a focus on talking to every single NPC?
I enjoyed Voidspire Tactics and Alvora Tactics in this way, though Alvora Tactics is lacking in the exploration aspect a bit.

There's the https://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/ Avernum games, with Avernum 3: Ruined World being the one I'd recommend. The graphics aren't much but there's a lot of stuff in the game. It's very much in the simulationist open world end of RPG's, you can ignore the main plot and just gently caress off into the wild and live the murderhobo lifestyle if you want.

Edit: Oh, and there's a demo available on the website, so you can try it before buying.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jan 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Brogue is a single dungeon roguelike with a cool level generation system and beautiful ascii graphics. Somewhat minimalist design, but it works well.

Omega I found interesting, although the way you manage your inventory is dumb and frustrating. Old and clunky, but a very interesting world to explore. It's also super deadly, game loves to kill you for trying to check out new places and things. It is somewhat like ADOM, but no corruption system and I don't remember food being a real issue.

^^
Dungeonmans is a good one, it's also goon made. There's a roguelite style base building system, but the game is also beatable without engaging with that. The home base works well I think, it's mostly there to give you enough of a boost to skip the early part of the game after you're gone through it enough times.

^
I haven't played Cogmind, but I've heard good things, I should check that one out myself.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 16, 2020