Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This is a rather niche request, but can anyone recommend a game that has contemporary naval combat? I tried the trial of Distant Guns / Jutland that Grey Hunter LP'd a while back, but the interface is a little daunting and there are no arcade-realism settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking for a first-person shooter that specifically lets you shoot Germans and will run on a fairly old laptop with Intel Integrated Graphics.

Something like the original Medal of Honor or the original Call of Duty, except I can't find either of those on any of the usual digital distribution sites (it's supposed to be a gift).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any better Axis and Allies PC port with AI out there than the original commercial release by Hasbro?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What's the go-to PC game for playing football/soccer as a player from first/third-person perspective, instead of as a manager?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any other more user friendly alternatives to Dwarf Fortress besides Goblin Camp? Development on the latter seems to have stopped.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
After coming from Diablo 3, my 2 friends and I are looking for an MMO or otherwise similarly persistent co-op online experience to jump into.

Guild Wars 2 would have been super-perfect, except one of us is a die-hard Mac purist and there's no Mac version of it, nor for the other MMOs I checked out (EQ1/2, Vanguard, Rift). Any recommendations? (not WoW, we already came from that years ago)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Aside from Caesar 3, Europa Universalis Rome, Rome Total War and Alea Jacta Est, are there any Rome-themed games worth checking out?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shorter Than Some posted:

Not heard of this before, did a quick google, seems interesting, is it any good?

I don't have this yet myself, but the grognard thread had some pretty good impressions. It's a turn-based strategic-level wargame of raising armies, assigning generals/commanders to them and moving them around Meditteranean provinces. It's supposedly quite historically accurate, but the UI/game mechanics are very newbie-unfriendly so I stayed away.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Can I get a recommendation on a vs-AI poker game with good production values? I enjoy Poker Night at the Inventory, but the banter just gets in the way after a while.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a decent PC alternative to Minecraft? Sort of like Android's Survivalcraft. I already have Terraria, but 2D just isn't the same.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking for an Action (RPG) that can be played with a controller. Something like Diablo 3 that I can chill out on my easy chair and blow up stuff with. Diablo 3 itself would fit the bill but I don't have a console and the PC version doesn't support controllers, and I put RPG in parentheses because it doesn't have to be that specific gender - something like Crusader No Remorse but with a controller or even a roguelike would do.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nuclear War posted:

I got a small macbook air 11 inch recently to work while traveling, etc, and I'm looking for some kinda game to run in the background and tab in out of whenever I have a moment. Something strategy-ish, preferably.

lenoon posted:

Panzer general style games are everywhere and pretty good for this kind of thing.

You can even play one right from your browser:
http://openpanzer.net/

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm trying to recall a game that's like World of Warships, except its in space, so like it's big Descent:Freespace-style capital ships duking it out in space.

I could have sworn I saw it on Steam once.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there anything in the last 6 months in the realm of low/no-brainer action RPGs, either in the mold of Diablo 2/3, or in turn-based dungeon crawling like Dungeonmans?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
did Banished ever get significantly patched/changed/DLC'd after release?

is there a better alternative to that kind of game nowadays?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm reading a book called The Baghdad Air Mail about the experiences of a pilot who flew WWI-era bombers across the Middle East to deliver mail in the Interwar period, and I was wondering if there was a flight sim that hit one or more of these points:

* has biplanes, or otherwise prop planes

* has ground detail and maps that are accurate enough against each other that I can using using visual references

* supports just flying around without combat, preferably with some kind of transportation goal

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 15, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking for a game that:

* does not have DRM and can be played single-player, so that I can put it on a flash drive and copy it over to a hard drive and just run it directly without passing through any kind of internet or client service
* is 3D and was made within, say, the last three years, so that it's relatively taxing on hardware

My use-case, so to speak, is to be able to have something that I can use to validate that a system I'm testing is stable and capable of some gaming without having to jump through lots of hoops.

I took a quick look around GOG and I feel like the only titles that fit would Everspace (which I'm not really familiar with) and Hard Reset Redux (which isn't even really that demanding)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is there a modern remake of Machiavelli the Prince / Merchant Prince

or even just the same game but available legit and digitally again

or what is the closest game set the in same period

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If I liked the bits of Fallout 4 where you hoover up all sorts of junk and turn it into raw material to build settlements with, is there a game, I imagine in the "survival" genre, that would be similar?

Some counterexamples to refine the query:

- I did not get into Minecraft or Terraria at all. I think mostly because the systems were way too opaque and there was very little direction on where to go and what to do

- I did like No Man's Sky's take on this, where the need to build shelter is very direct and immediate, and there's a strong tutorial on what you need to do and how you should do it

- I liked the exploration and rummaging aspect of Days Gone, but that doesn't have any building, as far as I can remember

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

No Dignity posted:

Subnautica has a heavy gathering/base building focus and is an incredible exploration game on top, would that sound any good?

thank you for this! I've put about two hours into it so far today and I've taken to it quite well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
can i get a recommendation for a game about trading?

like, you go into a port of call, buy goods, travel to another port, sell those goods for a profit, buy more goods, repeat

it can be either a space setting (as in Elite) or a historical setting (as in Merchant Prince)

what I'm looking for is that it has to be relatively contemporary in terms of UI/UX