Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
There was a kickstarter about an Ars Magika adaptation that was very similar to what you're asking for, but unfortunately it fell flat. Maybe the guys at Black Chicken Studios will give it another shot. You can also try Academagia, by the same guys, very complex and replayable. It's basically "Harry Potter: The Very Complex Choose Your Own Adventure". Here, have a Let's Play. and see if you like it.

Magicka, maybe? It has four wizards, several elements that you combine to form about 300 spells (which in turn influence how other spells act) and everyplayer is expected to die about twice a minute, generally because the other players.

My own question now:

A couple of years ago I came across a short game (as in "you could finish it in 10 minutes" short). You and some random dude from the Internet guide two guys (an Eskimo and a Tuareg, IIRC) through several screens, with some light platforming. The catch is that only you can see all the obstacles in the other guy's path, and vice versa, so some sort of communication is needed. You cannot talk to each other in any way, the only way to get a message across is by moving your little guys arms and head.

I can't remember for the life of me how is it called, and google isn't helping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I think the Galactic Empires games have a good enough diplomacy model to let you buy off any agressor. At the very least, you can buy individual ships off your allies, label them "mercenaries" and then sell them back after you have kicked the rear end of whomever.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

How about this one? I want a game where the protagonist faces impossible odds against an overwhelming foe, and loses. The harder and more complete the loss at the end, the better. Max Payne 2 is an alright example, Limbo technically [e: not really, I guess] edges in, and Prince of Persia (the newer one, with you reviving the girl so the evil is re-released, dooming the world) all fit, but I need a real crushing loss for some reason. I'm struggling to come up with a quintessential example... like, if you couldn't win the final mission of Homeworld 2 and the planetkiller missiles wipe out your race would be a good example.

The more :smith: the better. Any genre.

n-thing Special Ops: The Line

Other than that, Pathologic. An old Russian adventure game where you are one of three characters in a city that's been wrecked by a plague. Each of the three characters are trying to stop the plague, each one with a different approach (science, natural shamanistic medicine or outright magic).

While there is a "happy" ending if you manage to finish the game, there are a lot of :smith: moments there. For example, the game helpfully points out how many people have died because of the plague in each of the 12 days the game is split into. As a more spoilery example after spending 4 days trying to make a "safe" quarantine zone with one character, another character will enter the quarantined area and infect everyone. Next day, everyone in the shelter is dead

And the game manages to make you feel it's all YOUR FAULT.

Have a review. Slight spoilers in there.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

SatelliteCore posted:

What I'm looking for is a collaborative adventure, simulation, sandbox, RPG, or strategy PC game. (No MMO) I want players to work as a team(s), with or without leadership, towards goals that are built-in or made up. I really don't care what traditional genre it is. It can be 2+ players, 4+ hopefully. I can run a server if need be.

The latest SimCity lets each of the players in a multiplayer game to create their own city, but interact with the others by setting trade agreements, having your citizens commute to work in other cities, etc. It's a lot of fun IF you manage to play it. Last time I tried before being distracted by other shiny things the connection issues made the thing almost unplayable.

Starbound (Terraria IN SPACE!) is allowing pre-orders now, so this should be available soon-ish.

For something way more complex, but realy fun once you get the grasp of it, try Space Station 13. It's a MMO, but not in the usual sense (you change characters from game to game). Quoting from the thread in SA.

I Said No posted:

Yeah right. What is Space Station 13 really?
Oh fine. Space Station 13 is your own personal journey into the heart of a badly funded, horribly managed space station staffed by dysfunctional lunatics and sociopathic imbeciles who would just as quickly cave your skull in with a fire extinguisher as they would use their job positions to find new and exciting ways to torture you to death and mangle your corpse in a variety of very cruel, unusual and creative ways. The engineers are too busy smoking weed with the botanists (who have secretley laced it with LSD) to start the engine, the Security forces are hauling everyone off to the brig to never be seen again, the Medics are dropping napalm into their patients' eyeballs to see what happens and the Chef is gibbering in something that sounds vaguely like swedish while stuffing people into the meat grinder in his kitchen.

All the while, the plots and schemes of traitors and madmen alike are clashing together and creating untold chaos while the whole station keeps on spiralling downards into its inevitable evacuation or destruction. Sometimes both!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Blast of Confetti posted:

I've been in the mood for an RPG where I can make some choices that matter. I've been on an MMO stint, and it's a little depressing how nothing that you do has an impact on what I do. I've got Witcher 2 and KotOR 2 and I wouldn't mind snagging a few more since I tend to need a couple games to play at a time or I get bored.

n-thing the recommendations of Both Alpha Protocol and Dragon Age. Regarding Dragon Age, make sure that you play the first one. The second one is like a pyramid, where the longer you go into the game the fewer different paths remain.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Anyone can recommend a game where you feel that you have accomplished something? Beating the big bad or completing the storyline doesn't count. I'd like a very strong sense of character progression. Probably needs to be quite sandbox-y.

Terraria, Minecraft, Dwarf Fortress and their ilk, while fun, don't give me that "I'm on the top of the world" vibe, because you're building relatively small stuff. Same with city builders (Anno, SimCity, Rome and spin-offs, etc...)

I guess the best example of what I mean would be something like the X series, where you go from a single spaceship to owning half of the galaxy.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Drakenel posted:

So, goons. I feel like playing for the highest bidder. Play the relationships of factions and nations against each other. I want a game where I can be a mercenary. (That isn't any of the above mentioned titles)

In Sid Meier's Pirates! you could make the entire Caribbean belong to the faction/s of your choice, or gain fame and rank with one nation by sinking the ships and plundering the towns of their enemies.

Accordion Man posted:

Witcher 2 sounds like the best example you're looking for, its more fantastical than Game of Thrones, but there's a fair share of backstabbing and political machinations going on.

You forgot the overabundance of naked ladies, although I may be thinking about the first one.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Ashenai posted:

Fate of the World. There's an achievement for causing global thermonuclear war :allears:

A word of advice: the game is punishingly difficult, unless yuor aim is to cackle madly over a radioactive wasteland, where survivors fight each other for resources. That one is easy to accomplish, most of the time without trying.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Xandoom posted:

I've tried it but I really don't like it, even with Tekkit. Perhaps something else?

The X series, if you're into space sims. You'll end up owning all the spaceships

I recommend starting with X3: Terran Conflict, the most recent one is more focused on combat.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Disillusionist posted:

I am working on a project on race portrayals / racism in video games, leaning towards the fantasy genres. Can anyone recommend a game in which race plays a part in the plot or gameplay? For example, I'm using Skyrim as one of my case studies for two reasons. One, the player chooses their "race" and each race option has different associated attributes. Two, because racism is a large part of the plot, with the Stormcloaks and Aldmeri Dominion both displaying open racism towards specific groups. Mass Effect is another example of a game I'm using, because of the multiple instances of racism, xenophobia and genocide depicted in the game.

I'm trying to avoid real-world racism, so a game like Bioshock Infinite doesn't fit what I'm looking for. If anyone could suggest a fantasy or sci-fi game with race, racism or genocide as salient themes that would be great. I am going to play all of the games in the course of my study, so I need Xbox 360 or PC games preferably.

Dragon Age: Origins. Elves are either outcasts living in getthos or armed rebels, mages are basically in prision for their whole lives because they are feared and dwarves have a rigid caste system. The game is also quite good at recognizing your player character origin (:thejoke:) and answer accordingly.

Good game, too.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Genpei Turtle posted:

If we're going old then I've got another one to recommend--Darklands. You want stat-crunching grognardy RPG gameplay, Darklands immediately throws you into the deep end as you roll up your characters by guiding them through the first 20 years of their life, raising stats and skills based on their career paths and socioeconomic status. In the game proper you've got your combat and physical skills and the like, but also measures of your characters' literacy, religious knowledge, Latin skills, tracking, etc. Not quite as many skills as the Realms of Arkania games but at least all of them are useful, which sadly can't be the said for that series. (Realms of Arkania is still great though)

It's also a really, really good game, and avoids a lot of tropes of traditional RPGs by relying on folklore, superstition and society in medieval Greater Germany rather than cookiecutter high fantasy or what have you.

Prototype was pretty much made just for this.

Seconding this. Try to get your hands on the strategy guide, though. It's a very detailed game, and combat can be frustrating if you don't know what you're doing. For example, armor penetration is king when choosing weapons, and this number can't be seen in-game, although common sense will help.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Galick posted:

I flat out couldn't cope with the keyboard controls. It's not an -awful- port, but the controls are seriously the most hosed up things I have ever seen.

I disagree. It IS an awful port (the blunder with the resolution would be enough to put the game down if it wasn't easily fixable), but still totally worth it.

Do yourself a favor and get a controller though. There are too many keys for you to reach easily and quickly in the middle of combat, and one mistake can (and will) kill you.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

MrBims posted:

The most important stat is Wisdom.

Seconding this. The best dialogues and scenes in the game are only unlocked with high WIS and/or INT, with emphasis on WIS.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Ashenai posted:

stuff with an "unreliable narrator."

n-thing Amnesia. Second game is the weakest, but still pretty good overall. Final Fantasy VII, if you don't mind the jRPGness and dated graphics. It's available on Steam.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

You could always just walk away during the dumb cutscenes in VC. It's a great game and probably one of the closest things out there to X-COM:EU out there. I don't know why you would avoid playing a good game because it's anime.

I found VC very dissapointing. In order to achieve the maximum rank for each mission you have to take a soldier and rush him forward into enemy base, disregarding cover, teamwork and basic survival instinct. If you are playing it like you would X-Com (using cover, leapfrogging squads and such) you're going to run out of turns, or get a very low score.

On the other hand, tanks are fun.

There's an LP in the archive, you could watch the first videos and see if you'd like it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Galick posted:

I doubt I'll get it, but does anyone know a fairly difficult game where you fight (or have the option to) fight completely unarmed that isn't God Hand? Not something relatively halfassed like Fallout 3 or New Vegas where it's even easier than if I had a gun the size of a fire hydrant strapped to my shoulder. Something where you have to play smart to win, but awards being brave/daring/psychotic.

Not extraordinarily difficult, but the Yakuza series is basically GTA with a martial arts focus. Guns are pretty rare, melee weapons more common.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

I'm looking for a game that has a Trading aspect, Building up an Army from a singular unit (like Mount & Blade, Starsector, or Uncharted Waters 2,) battles I can take part in, and a Faction system.

The X games. Think Privateer, but with the ability to build a HUGE trade empire, up to and including space stations. I have dicked around the last one (rebirth) and didn't enjoy it, so I'd recommend the last version of the previous iteration. X3:Albion Prelude.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

ManOfTheYear posted:

I just played The Stanley Parable. Anything similiar like it, but hopefully not as pretentious?

This is a though one, because the game is quite unique. Why did you enjoy it, exactly?

- If you like strong writing and the fact that it's very story driven, I'd suggest Gone Home. It's very short, though.
- If you like the surreal atmosphere maybe The Void is right up your alley. It's very Russian, which means is quite pretentious too.
- If you like to see the consequences of your actions, you'll probably enjoy The Walking Dead (graphical adventure) or Alpha Protocol (3rd person stealth shooter with RPG elements). Alpha Protocol let's you influence the way the story develops in HUGE ways, but besides the writing the gameplay is pretty weak. The story in Walking Dead is a bit more linear.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

What's the best modern (read, PS2 onwards) Tales game? I haven't played any game in the series.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I have just finished Blood Dragon. Are there any other games that makes you feel completely overpowered, with ridiculously over the top action? I have already played the Saints Row games and Bulletstorm.

PC only.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks for the help. I'll have a look at Prototype 1/2. Already played Just Cause, and yes, if you want explosions, that's the game to play.

Hell, the main character hums "the ride of the Valkyries" each time you fly a helicopter.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

mortons stork posted:

I know this is probably going to be a long shot, but is there any game that is sort of like XCOM but will also run on a low-end computer? I know that the whole genre is woefully underrepresented, and I haven't really seen much like it in ages; The old xcom games are, by now, completely inaccessible due to their age, the UI, and being generally far too difficult to really get into, and I'm not aware of much else to scratch that particular itch.

Seconding the Fallout: Tactics recommendation. There is no base building but each soldier is more customizable than in XCom.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

boatiemathmo posted:

I'm looking for an RPG or strategy game in which you can win at, well, everything.

Cantorsdust posted:

I, too, have an obsession with not just becoming high level but becoming absurdly high level to the point of godhood.

The Disgaea games basically dare you to break them over your knee. PS2, PS3 and PSP, I think.

Evilreaver posted:

I'm looking for a, for lack of a better term, 'starvation' game, where you are scrimping for resources or very slowly bleeding out.

You are not really durable, but Pathologic has that feeling of racing against the clock for resources. While you have an overal objective, your main worry each moment is to keep yourself fed, awake, healthy and disease-free. It's quite old and very Russian, though. The next game of the same company, Void, is prettier and with a better UI, but every bit as weird.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

After reading a bit of the Master of Magic Lp (which is excellent, by the way) I've got the itch of something similar but more modern. I've already tried warlock and it was a little too swallow for me. I'm trying to avoid Dominions, because it looks like a horrible, horrible time sink.

VVVV

Yeah, I have played Dominions 3, and enjoyed it a lot. I'd just rather not sink an hour in each turn to micromanage the spells of every mage in my army, so they can pull a reverse comunion without blowing themselves up. Or, god forbid, playing Ermor. :ohdear:

I'll try Age of Wonders, thanks.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 6, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Both Mafia games are pretty good, too.

GruntyThrst posted:

Anyone got a multiplayer cooperative game with in-world persistence mechanics? Something like base building or tech upgrading, etc. Examples include Minecraft/Terreria/Starbound, but it doesn't have to be as focused on total creativity and freeform building.

Basically I want co-op that's mechanically deeper than "play setpiece missions and unlock slightly better guns/powers"

EVE Online. Join the Goonswarm. Fight the galaxy. :unsmigghh:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

ManOfTheYear posted:

Are there other games like Long live the Queen game found on steam? It's basically a "choose your own adventure" video game version with lots of skills and skill checks. Where I can find other games like that?

Academagia is pretty much it, you play not Harry Potter and go through your first year of magic school. It lacks an overarching plot, but there are plenty of events and some multi-part adventures. There is an LP of it in the Archive, if you want to take a look.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Go play Dragon Age: Origins if you have any interest at all in RPGs or maybe Deus Ex if you prefer a modern setting. Play both, they are great. Batman: Arkham Asylum has the best combat system I've seen lately, plus general visual style is great. Throw a little Europa Universalis/Crusader Kings if you're into grand strategy.

In a more niche/personal opinion, Academagia is a good gamebook/text adventure style game, where you play Not Harry Potter going through the first year of wizard school. Geneforge are real expansive old school RPGs, Sword of the Stars (1, DO NOT TOUCH THE SEQUEL) is a pretty good 4x in space.

I don't think there is a truly awful game in there, at least the ones I recognize.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Looking for games where I can just sort of press a couple buttons and then put my attention somewhere else (like the forums or Netflix or something) for a few seconds/minutes and come back to it. Games that I can sort play while multitasking pretty much. Sims 3 has been my go to game for this but Civ V seems to fit decently as well despite not particularly caring for it. Wondering what other options there. PC, DS, PSP, Android, and anything commonly emulated on the above systems (PS2/GC/Wii stuff is a no go on my rig) would be best options.

I'm currently playing CK2 at low speed exactily like this, while watching LPs, reading or what have you. Set up the message system to automatically pause when an important message appears and you're set.

Seconding the Anno sugestion, too. Modifications in the production chain take a while to show it's effects on stock, so you can check every 3-5 minutes to see how you're doing.

Or anything turn based, I guess.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Crusader Kings 2, sorry.

EDIT: yeah, that.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Two Finger posted:

Nice and cheap on Steam, too. Is there any particular one I should start with? I never played them...

You can't go wrong with the first two games. The second (X-COM: Terror from the Deep) is basically a re-skin of the first one, so there is little point in getting both.

If you want prettier graphics, the newest XCOM is a very good reimagining of the series, and the expansion adds a good amount of new content. It's about 40€ for both IIRC, though.

The rest are good but not great. Skip the XCOM: Intercerptor (spaceship simulator) and the FPS one.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

I'm looking for something that is basically "Dynasty Warriors" for PC.

Does Dinasty Warriors work?

Disclaimer: I have absolutely no idea of whether it's any good.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

:blush: Oh. I guess I should have google'd first.

I only remembered because it surprised me a lot seeing it on Steam, if that's any help. I thought it was only on consoles.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 26, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

If any of you have any interest in tactics with RPGs elements, beautiful art, customizable attack loadouts, humming, interesting battle mechanics, sci-fi settings, awesome music, intriguing story, great voice acting, beach balls and/or chopping robots up with swords, go play Transistor ASAP.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

I'd like to offer a counter-opinion that Transistor, while being most of those things, isn't really fun to play. It's kinda 'click button to make fight happen'. The combat is simple "walk behind enemy, hit them with four abilities at once to instagib them, repeat". For really tough fights, you might not instagib them on the first attack. :geno:

I dunno, I heard the high praise from all sources, and I loved Bastion, but Transistor just doesn't do it for me. Maybe it gets better after the first hour? Hopefully a game would have grabbed me by then.

The combat starts out pretty simplistic, but it keeps on adding layers of complexity with new powers, limiters and such. Each single power can be slotted as a main attack, a modifier for a primary attack or as a passive bonus and the game encourages you to shake things up because you get information on characters by using powers in different ways. And as soon as you plop in some limiters combat can become quite difficult, so each encounter becomes more of a puzzle where you try to end your turn in good cover until you recover.

I'm a sucker for scifi and setting, so maybe I'm willing to ignore some gameplay issues when a game is oozing with style.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

redreader posted:

This sounds exactly like assassin's creed: black flag. It's light on 'pirate fleet' and 'trading' but pirate fleet is a thing and trading is more like 'selling loot'. The boarding, ship combat and fighting are very well done.

I second this, with the caveat that it's very plot-heavy. You can sail around boarding ships but your ship development is restricted until you pass certain points in the story, so it can end feeling pretty samey.

IIRC, it takes you a while to get a ship.

OTOH, your sailors sing, which was a pretty nice touch.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Like Collabo said, Uncharted is very linear and cutscene heavy.

Sounds lime the best fit would be a sandboxy game. In the realm of AAA titles, the obvious ones are GTA V and Saints Row.

Edit: PS3 only. Can't read.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jun 14, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I'm having a couple of friends for the weekend. Any good PS3 games to waste away a couple of hours while drinking? Street Fighter and generic EA Sports game of the year are already covered.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

This one will be difficult: I'm looking for a PC game in where after having played 20 hours or so you can look back to your exploits and say "I did this". Typical RPG story of ragtag band of misfits to big drat heroes (getting a castle in BGII, for example) doesn't work because it's something the story does for you. Strategy games are a too hands off, because it isn't you doing the conquering.

Closest I've seen of what I want is the X series.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Oops, yeah, sorry. Already played and I was thinking about it while posting, but then I forgot. That's exactly what I'm looking for, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Leper Residue posted:

Have you tried the latest version of Pirates?

StarSector is a current alpha game that's set in space where you go around, set up trades, build a fleet, etc,.

There's a thread for it somewhere on games, and apparently it already has a rather active modding community.

Comedy option, Terraria. After 20 hours, you will in have fact built a castle yourself, with citizens, and upgrades and workshops that you made.

Honestly, Terraria scratched an itch similar to what I was looking for, although the scale was too small.

Starsector seems interesting, thanks. It seems that what I'm looking for is basically EVE without the online part and sci-fi optional...