Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Posted this in the Steam thread, but it technically would be better served here.

Some of my friends enjoy watching me stream games over Livestream, but problem I have is picking out good action-y games that are enjoyable for others to watch. The enjoyment of the audience is important, after all. So far I've done runs through Batman: AA, Dead Space 1 and Darksiders.

So, could you folks recommend me some games with a nice pace that could keep my friends entertained as I kick rear end/fail hilariously? FPS/TPS and platformers seem to provide the best entertainment, or RPGs that don't require too much menu shuffling.

Another concern I have is how intensive the game is on the hardware. I've got a four year old desktop (9800 gtx, intel e6850, 2 gb of ram) and a more recent ASUS laptop (radeon HD 5145, intel i5-M450, 4gb of ram). The desktop runs most stuff I play fine, although it has a problem with the video card just shutting down during some games. Livestream also tacks on another fair bit of resource usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Darksiders is, basically, God of War meets Zelda with a little Portal. I played through it and found it a quite fun romp, something I intend on replaying on a higher difficulty. I picked it up for like, $10 on sale a while ago. After my experience, I'd say it'd be easily worth $25-30. Sure, it's derivative as gently caress, but it's fun derivative, and there's nothing wrong with that. :colbert:

Since the summer sale is coming up, it'd be worth waiting to see if it goes on sale again.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Prosaic posted:

Are there any modern RPGs with the in-depth D&D-style mechanics of games like Neverwinter Nights?

Neverwinter Nights 2. :downsrim:

Joking aside, isn't NWN2 the newest D&D-based game aside from Daggerdale?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

X3 looks fun but scares me because everyone claims it is incredibly complex. If I bought it, would I want TC or Reunion? I might pick it up if it goes on sale.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I may be getting a ps3 for christmas, and aside from a few choice games I've noticed over the years I'm pretty clueless on what to buy for it! So far I am quite sure I want Disgaea 3/4 and Valkyria Chronicles. I've had a friend recommend Catherine to me as well, but I'm on the fence over that.

I like RPGs of all sorts, but particularly strategy and traditional jrpgs. I haven't played a jrpg since Xenosaga, and as much as I love the series (except #2) I've beaten it a good four or five times over. I prefer shmups and rpgs, but I enjoy pretty much everything but rhythm games and fighters as I'm awful at them.

So, what games would suit me for the ps3? I also saw there is a Rune Factory game for the ps3, which is tempting. :ohdear:

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Rollersnake: Thanks for the heads up, that definitely helped expand my horizons. Now I just need to buy them used from a goon when I have the cash. I was looking around some more and stumbled over more titles. Sengoku Basara, Atelier Totori and Eternal Sonata. Any experience with these?

Also was told by a friend (and by told I mean raved at) how good the Uncharted series is last night.

I see a lot of commentary every time Rockstar games pop up in the Steam thread about how great RDR is, so that's also a consideration now.

Then I noticed there's an ICO/SotC collection for sale, I never had the chance to play either of these games but heard they were great. Did they age well?

Lastly, how about the new Ratchet & Clank games? I loved the older ones, people said it was going down hill with Deadlocked but I enjoyed it. v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

The Vampirate posted:

PC wise, I hear good things about Grotesque tactics, just haven't put down the money on it yet.

That's funny because I've heard nothing but bad things. Every time it comes up on sale, or just for general discussion in the Steam thread, it gets lambasted for being absolutely terrible. I haven't personally played it, but a lot of the gripes are muddy, ugly graphics with unfunny humor and a weak combat system. I think there was also mention that moving around even outside of combat involves taking turns to move.

e:

Nione posted:

I want recommendations on what PS3 game to buy my husband for his birthday.

I have Assassin's Creed II on the PC, and it has to be one of the best games I've played in a long time. I'm also under the impression that AC:B is fantastic, but haven't played it. It's also cheap, like in the $20 range?