Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Got two requests.

1. Beat Soma recently, any other good horror games in that vein that aren't amnesia or outlast?

2. Any recent RPG releases with a heavy emphasis on story? Thinking poo poo like bioware games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

HMS Boromir posted:

If you don't mind the unimpressive graphics you could go back and play Penumbra: Overture and Penumbra: Black Plague, they're what the Amnesia devs made before Amnesia.

Already played the majority of suggestions, so I'll check these out. Thanks.

spasticColon posted:

For some reason I want to try playing an MMORPG again but I tried the WoW demo several years ago and didn't like it so is there an MMO out there I might want to try?

Tera for your fun gameplay and dogshit anime design. Final Fantasy 14 for that but good design. SWTOR for generic wow-esque gameplay but a pretty heavy focus on story for an mmo. The Secret World for some pretty interesting mechanics that you don't really see anywhere else, and an alright story I guess. Also heard that Guild Wars 2 is neat but I haven't played that one. Firefall for some really fun jetpacking action that gives way to an annoying grind. Some of the best instances I've ever played though.

Of them, FF14 is subscription based but has a like a month-long trial period, and Secret World requires purchase but that's it. The rest are free to play.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Jinkeez posted:

Any recommendations for games similar to FTL? In particular, I like the subsystems, damage control, and upgrade aspects. Lately I've been playing around with Bounty Train but it still needs a little polish.

Convoy is pretty good, though it doesn't have quite as much depth in management of your individual cars. Still worth checking out though.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Superhot's not that good. Fun gimmick, two hours long and doesn't really do anything interesting with it after the first few levels

Counterpoint, it's a really fun puzzle fps. 10 bucks would be better than 20 but it's still worth a but.

Alris posted:

Here's my current Steam Wishlist. What on here should be moved to my shopping cart, and what should be deleted for all eternity?

Doom is really good and Endless Legend is really good. If nothing else grab those two.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Senran Kagura: Estival Versus

Actual answer, Infamous Second Son is a fun, if much shorter and smaller in content than the previous games, and Metal Gear Solid 5 is a great game with an unfinished ending.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

doctor 7 posted:

So basically every MGS then?

Not to this scale, no.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Blowdryer posted:

FFXIV - the goons in the discord told me to play TERA instead.

You should ignore them and play 14.

Blowdryer posted:

Guild Wars 2 - Don't know much about this.

Or go with this if you don't want to bother with the subscription.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

This is like 20 bucks or so right now, but transformers: war for cybertron has 3 player coop through its campaigns.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Soma

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Evilreaver posted:

On the plus side, it's the straw that convinced me to never kickstart games :mad:

Pillars of Eternity and the Shadowrun Returns games have been good and fun and kickstarted.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Watch Dogs, the game from the Assassin's Creed devs that features hackers and explosions and a deep interesting narrative.

It's actually really bad.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

There's the various Dynasty Warriors/Empire games done by koei. Aside from the campaigns that follow set characters, you can create custom people with individual weapons and skills.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Long War is bad, XCOM 2 is good, tia.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Viperix posted:

I'm looking for a big open world RPG. Can be first or third person. Not looking for an older isometric game. I've already played most of the big ones, but was wondering if there's any I've missed.

I've played:
Fallouts
Elder Scrollses
Witchers
Dragon's Dogma
Soulsbournes
Borderlands
Dragon Ages

The divinity games are worth a look at.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

ninjahedgehog posted:

Any recommendations for games with just really pretty, satisfying explosions? Genre doesn't matter. So far my top four are Just Cause 3, Mercenaries, Ace Combat Assault Horizon/Infinity, and The Division.

EDF! EDF!

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Journey

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Tales of the Borderlands and Walking Dead Season 1 are the generally recommended games. Not quite sure what you mean by easiest as they all play basically the same.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 22, 2016

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Leper Residue posted:

I think the poster means the jprg series like Tales of the Abyss or Tales of Bersia. Both of which seem like good jumping in points.

Ah yeah, that makes more sense then.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Silent Storm 2 is real good if like like squad based strategy. It's like the jagged alliance games but in a ww2 setting with some differences.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

StrixNebulosa posted:

Death Road to Canada is so good I'm honestly curious about other zombie games now: I don't like FPSes, so with that in mind, what are the best zombie-related games out there?

Dead Rising 1 and 2 are real good zombie games. 3 is alright, but has nowhere near the same charm as the other, and there is no fourth dead rising title. State of Decay was interesting, but it didn't really engross me like it did others. There was also one other game, I think it was called Dead State? It was alright, but not something to pick up at full price.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Only things I can think of are Tera and FF14's benchmark thing.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl.

bloodclot posted:

This post grew a little unwieldy, but if you can be bothered to suffer through it I'd appreciate some recommendations!

Or pick up Metro 2033. Both are depressing Russian literature at its finest. System Shock 2 and Bioshock are great games that rely heavily on a horror based atmosphere. The older Thief games build a very interesting world, though the graphics are not pleasant. If you like the Elder Scrolls games, consider picking up Fallout: New Vegas. There's Limbo, a neat puzzle game with no dialogue or narration. It has a sort-of sequel called Inside that's by the same people. The Shadowrun games, Returns, Dragonfall, and Hong Kong, are all great story based games, though the gameplay might feel a bit simplistic. In that vein, the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition is a nice remake of a older game.

Oh yeah and Soma is great, but taking the monsters out kinda removes the fun from some of the sections.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Jade Empire, Bioware's best game.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Phlegmish posted:

I've played the first Dragon Age and skipped the second game, is Inquisition on the PC worth it?

Inquisition is pretty good, but it's only on Origin, has an annoying method of save-importation, and suffers from EA/Bioware's insistence on putting neat story beats behind dlc.

Also has possibly the worst companion in any game they've done, but thankfully you can tell her to gently caress right off.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

It does have the benefit that you can click on something interactable in the distance and your character will beeline towards it on their own. Over all kotor has a kinda wonky control scheme on the pc compared to the console version, but at least you can mod it.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Struensee posted:

Suggestions for couch co-op or versus games for 4 players? Already have magicka 2, helldivers, sonic all stars racing, street fighter 4, bro force, worms, gauntlet and forced.

Castlecrashers

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Kotor is not a challenging game unless you crank the difficulty up and invest in guns. Even the designated gun characters are more effective if you just slap their blasters away and hand them a sword. Kotor 2 massively improves on the combat system and has more animations for poo poo to boot.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Phlegmish posted:

I am planning on doing just this, seeing as I've beaten KOTOR an hour ago. My character being a generic meathead space marine with retro-future sunglasses, rather than a Jedi, made all the cutscenes much funnier, but for KOTOR 2 I want to be more prepared.

Which mods should I be installing? What is the most effective class/which stats should I be pumping or dumping if I pick said class?

The only mod that's super recommended is the restored content mod off the steam workshop. Anything else is up to you. And yeah, as was said there's only a few sections where kotor2's difficulty ramps up, but you get a lot more options to deal with poo poo. Guns become less of a joke and you can even wreck poo poo with your fists. Of the classes Guardian is the easiest one to roll with for most content. Aside from that, going Male and Lightside lets you see the story kinda how it's meant to be told.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Phlegmish posted:

Alright, based on this:

- Install restored content mod
- Spec main character as male light side Guardian with lightsaber
- Spec Atton as melee fighter (Jedi?)

I suppose I should be pumping STR and CON. DEX might be useful for defense. Uh, is there a dump stat for my build? Even INT might be useful if it works the same way as in the first game.

There are no dump stats, especially considering you can use skills in conversations. So having STR and CON will make fights easier, but raising other stats will open up new dialogue choices.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Gravity Rush

Edit: Do not buy The Witness. It's a frustratingly bad puzzle game.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 15, 2017

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Olaf The Stout posted:

I showed him a trailer Torchlight 2 but he wasn't too impressed, saying it looked old.

Plays Secret of Mana, says Torchlight 2 looks old.

Anyway, Dawn of War 2 and Chaos Rising.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

VC1 is a really fun anime-ww2 game with a good pc port. VC2 is bad and requires emulation. VC3 is good again but requires emulation and a translation patch.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Gyshall posted:

is there a guide for this anywhere?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=343908392

First google result.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Wasteland 2, Icewind Dale

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Harvest Moon, the thing that inspired SV. Dark Cloud, for a slightly more actiony piece.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I'm gonna be stuck using an android tablet for a while, so what are some decent games I can play on it?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

1 is good, 2 is better but has recurring characters from 1 you might not give a poo poo about unless you played it.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Police Automaton posted:

Recommend me something incredibly complicated

Motherfucking Spacechem.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Fire Embelm: Fates sort of.

I've heard Nights of Azure is decent but never played it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Riatsala posted:

I'm getting nostalgic for the Dungeon Keeper/Evil Genius/Sim Theme Park base management type games but I'm finding that they're difficult to find or didn't age so well. Does this genre still exist? I played Rimworld to the point of exhaustion, and while it's a very good game, it's a little more complex and punishing than I was really going for.

Think War for the Overworld was in the dungeon keeper vein.