Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I absolutely loved Millenium (Sometimes called Millenium - Return to Earth). I re-play it every few years.

For those who never played it (likely most of you), an asteroid (or comet or something) has just struck the Earth and you and a few people on the small Moon Base are the only humans left. You must research technology, build the base, develop ships, colonize other places in the solar system and fight off the Martians (after all these years, I'm still not sure where they came from).

You zoom in an out of planets and moons in the solar system, which orbit. Your ships take longer depending on orbits, etc. There are a few places in the solar system you can settle and mine resources. The idea is to ultimately fight off the Martians and figure out how to recolonize Earth.

It was very cool in the sense that the game actually told you very little of what to do next. You kind of had to figure it out for yourself.

Anyway, are there any solar system sims out there? Something more granular than the 4x space games like Galactic Civilizations II and that type of game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Supposedly some of the seemingly unimportant choices you make in Mass Effect will have consequences in Mass Effect 2. I haven't played through the first one though, maybe someone else can vouch for it.

Since Mass Effect 2 isn't out yet, nobody can really say.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I've got a rather vague request for ideas, a friend of mine is going through a kind of poo poo time and it helps her relax to watch someone else (me in this case) playing games. She likes watching people play expansive, engaging games, offhand I know she likes stuff like Oblivion or Fallout 3.

So, I'm trying to think of something I can pick up that I'd like to play that she can hang around and watch, I'd prefer an RPG or a actiony game that has a decent plot but isn't a pain in the rear end to play, when games get overly complex with too much poo poo going on at once to manage I tend to get frustrated and lose interest. And I think we'd prefer more of a Western-ish game than a jRPG.

I have a Wii and she has a PS3 and a 360, so any of the big three systems is fine. I was thinking of borrowing Assassin's Creed 2 from my mom to play but I'd like some other ideas since I haven't really been keeping up on releases lately.

I know it's not exactly what you asked about, but if she likes horror, the Silent Hill games are actually fun to watch. My wife and I alternated playing each game in the series. Plus we helped each other with the puzzles.

Otherwise, Mass Effect may be a good choice. It's got a great story.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Enigmatic Cardboard posted:

I'm looking for a do-what-you-want, free-roaming kind of action/RPG game. I'm a big fan of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series and I've played all the Fallout games to death. I've played Oblivion a bit, but I didn't really like it, and I've gone through just about every major BioWare release (including Baldur's Gate), as well as The Witcher. If you could recommend me a game that is like any of the ones I mentioned--preferably one that I can sink quite a few hours into--that'd be great. Character customization is also a plus.

If you have a 360 and you have a high tolerance for cheese, Two Worlds sports a very large, open, game world.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Nibbles the Shark posted:

How about Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery (EU/US)? It's very fun, with robust AI, and the expansion adds new stuff and multiplayer to boot if you want. Never played Settlers of Catan, but this seems like a similar, more in-depth kind of game. It's more of a city-builder than a grand strategy, but has lots of resource management and strategic planning against fairly robust AI opponents who try to out-colonize you and sometimes invade you. Alternately, the Civ offshoot Colonization series might be similar, but it's not quite the same thing either.

Also apparently they're working on a Facebook port.

While those games are great, they are absolutely nothing like Settlers of Catan. Just sayin'.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Frankosity posted:

I'm looking for good, simple brawlers; something I can just get my rage on with and slaughter dozens of baddies. Here's a short list of games I've played that fit into the kind of stuff I'm interested in:

God Hand
God of War
Golden Axe
Streets of Rage
Gungrave
Prototype
Splatterhouse

I'm looking for both new and old, from 16-bit to the modern era, all suggestions welcome. I'm not so interested in arcade-specific titles because MAME is a pain in the arse or more complex brawlers like DMC and Viewtiful Joe.

It's not like those other games, but when I was having a bad day I used to load up Syndicate and just run around and kill everything and everyone. There's no penalty for doing so. It was very therapeutic.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Svartvit posted:

I'm looking for a 360 game for my girlfriend. She likes The Sims, puzzle games like Luxor, The Movies and other "light-hearted" arcady stuff (I know, the usual stereotype). She won't play Lego games with me, nor Medal of Honor. She's been talking about maybe getting some kind of JRPG, although I suspect she wouldn't like it too heavy on stats and other technical boring crap.

Is there anything for her? I bet someone else has been in the same situation.

Puzzle quest. It's a puzzle game AND an RPG.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Danger Mahoney posted:

Me and the friends are nuts for nerdy board and card games. Arkham Horror, Betrayal at the House on the Hill, Munchkin, etc - the ones that are kind of pseudo-rpgs and turn based. Are there any games on any of the current consoles that we would like to play together? Bonus points for 4-players, super bonus points if it's still fun with only 2 or is playable online.

Culdcept SAGA is probably more like Magic the Gathering and a boardgame, but it's a lot of fun, and plays online.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Captain Hair posted:

I need a game (for PC) that allows in-depth customising of your vehicle. Upgrading, replacing, customising my car/boat/spaceship/other vessel is like crack to me.

Games i've played that match this are:
Rock N Roll Racing - Not quite enough customisation for my liking
Infinite Space - Great level of customisation, but its for the DS and is a little incesty plotwise
Hard Truck Apocalypse - This is perfect, give me more of this i'll be happy.
Captain Forever - A "full" game like this would also be great
robot arena 2 - gently caress yeah, a good robotwars/battlebots game that doesnt suck? Shame it crashes constantly.
X3 - Has alot of what i want, but has a massive learning curve and feels a bit empty.

So yeah, game needs to have a Main method of transport which requires upgrading/customising/replacing. Any suggestions for my odd fetish?

Ever play Freelancer? That's my favorite space game.

Also, what do you mean about Infinite Space being "incesty"? I was thinking about picking that up.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

TheUnforgiven posted:

Can anyone recommend any town building games where I can set somethings up and watch things advance, build, do things on there own. I like watching things evolve and continue with minimal input from me.

It's not exactly what you are asking for, but I really enjoy Children of the Nile. While it is a city-builder, your people don't just run around and build stuff on their own.

However, you can zoom in really close, and select individual subjects. you can see what they do and how they feel. They have pretty realistic behaviors. So, what you can do is build a city and sit back and watch the hustle and bustle for a couple years. I find it really relaxing.

There is also a demo you can try before you plunk down your cash (only $12.99 on steam).

EDIT: Here's a great idea of the gameplay. Yes, you really can zoom in this far in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiUlqyQ5ciQ

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 27, 2010

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

TheUnforgiven posted:

For 13 bucks, I think I can give it a try. I really wish there was a game where I could just layout how I want the town to look, and see what pops up where. How things progress, ec.t

Yeah, I know what you mean - that would be cool. The only thing I can think of that is remotely like that is SimEarth. It was always cool seeing what kind of life would rise up and develop. I really wish Spore had just been SimEarth (or better yet, SimSolarSystem). Ah well. :sigh:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

What are some fun free / cheap games I can put on my MacBook? Puzzle / Adventure / RPG / Strategy would be cool. Action / shooters, not so much. Preferably something that is decent with a touchpad. Mac exclusive would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Alkanos posted:

If you haven't already, try out Puzzle Quest. I'm reasonable sure there's a Mac version of it, and it shouldn't be too expensive nowadays. It's a hybrid puzzle/RPG game, and good for either hours of play or a quick match during lunch. Be warned though, the AI is a dirty cheating bastard sometimes...

I was also gonna suggest Civ 4, but holy gently caress is the Mac version expensive. While the PC one is going for 5-10 bucks for just the standalone game, the mac one is still $40-50!

Hehe. I've played Puzzle quest on the DS and Xbox already. Thanks though, keep em coming!