Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Anyone know any good PC games with a heavy focus on exploration? I just got done playing Half Life 2 again, and the parts in between gunfights, where you're just poking around in these cool places looking for resources are really enjoyable to me. I get the same thing from games like STALKER and Bioshock when there's no enemies around, and RPGs like Deus Ex when you're in like a hub area or something and you just rob everyones house. There's probably not a game built around this kind of thing, but maybe there's another game I haven't tried yet that also contains a lot of this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I've been playing Rogue Legacy, and really enjoying it, but it's given me a hankerin' for a more traditional metroidvania, are there any good ones on PC? I thought Unepic might be what I wanted, but it seems to be trying its own thing. I guess I could just play Symphony of the Night again, but I want something fresh.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I don't know how genuinely classic it is but I remember having fun with TaleSpin on the genesis in two player with a friend at the time.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Backhand posted:

Like many of the other choices on the above lists for build-your-own-party RPGs, it's dated, but I would recommend The Temple of Elemental Evil. It's a PC remake of a classic D&D module in the 3.5 ruleset. Light on story, not much voice acting, and you never get to be very high-level. It's legitimately challenging though, and offers a hell of a dungeon crawl with tons of unique enemies and environments.

Just don't get too caught up in exploring the towns at first; the game starts you out in civilization, and you can waste an awful lot of time exploring and talking to people without accomplishing much of anything, if you're the type who wants to explore every area fully before moving on to the next. Dick around town until you start getting bored, then go adventure, then come back later and keep exploring.

I wish I could have gotten into that more, I never feel like I'm making good characters in 3rd ed.