Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

mune posted:

I'm looking for an RPG where you preferably can control a group (or at least exert some control over a group) in battle, and not turn-based. Preferably light on the story, and hopefully where you have huge customization options.

Ideally I'm looking for a combination of Icewind Dale II and FFXII (for PC, PS3, or 360) but maybe a little faster paced. Man, I wish I had a better way of describing it.

You could try Darklands. It may be an old DOS game, but it's still awesome to this day. It had an innovative for the time real-time + pause system that gave you full control of your party. You could completely customize every character in detail when creating them, using a really cool and never once copied character creation system where you build a character's history from scratch, adding 5 years to their life each time. The older you make them, the more experienced they are, but the more frail they get after a while and they can actually die of old age in game.

There's a plot there, but it isn't really even apparent when you start the game. At the beginning you're more or less a small band of do-gooders who travel around, killing bandits and such until you run into the plot. Or you can ignore it completely. It's an open world game that takes place in late medieval/early Renaissance Germany/Holy Roman Empire, and in most ways it's actually historically accurate to that. The difference is that what was myth and believed by the villagers of the era is real. So you'll find some witches, you don't cast spells but pray to saints for divine intervention or hurl potions made by an alchemist, there's no magical fairly lands or elven archers but if you go deep enough into some caves you might find some grotesque dwarves, etc.

Cool gameplay, cool setting, really awesome game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Deadly Premonition pretty much fits all your qualifiers, especially the "Whaaaa...." part.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Arzy posted:

Are the pieces of Eden Spread throughout History? Are they all Apples?

Various pieces have been used throughout history. They're not all apples. Although actually, I'm not sure that the first game went into even this much detail. You'll definitely learn all about the pieces, who used them, and why, through playing AC2. Make sure you find and read all the glyphs (the first one has to be done in the course of the plot, the rest I think are optional).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Luminaflare posted:

Maybe Red Orchestra? It's a realistic WW2 fighting game with 50 man servers, tanks (done realistically, you can't fire the main gun while driving etc.) and isn't very fast paced. It also has locational damage, you get shot in the foot you'll be slower, in your hand and you'll drop your gun etc.

And in this same respect, Armed Assault 2. There's a pretty decent goon community, last time I checked, and is similarly realistic to Red Orchestra, probably even more so. Slow paced and really fun.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Chakram posted:

Team Fortress 2. The Orange Box is on sale right now on Steam, so now is a great time to get into all of those games.

Team Fortress 2 has a great community, and is constantly changing with updates for new weapons and game modes.

Did you stop reading after the first two sentences, or what?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Tiramisu posted:

Are there any games along the lines of X-com/Jagged Alliance 2/Silent Storm worth playing? I've already played Fallout Tactics, didn't care for it. Despite taking a sharp downturn at the end and having some ridiculous bugs, SS is probably closest to what I'm looking for. I liked that every class was useful and it didn't become rifles only, and the destructible environments really opened up approaches. The gun stuff isn't that important to me- I can't tell one pistol from another. I'm just looking for another game that puts emphasis on small squad management and strategy. None of the Japanese tactical RPGs I've played have really given me a similar feeling, though the Fire Emblem series is probably closest.

That are worth playing? Probably not. The only recent games that are like that are the Apeiron games Brigade E5 and 7.62 mm. Both of those have pretty interesting and honestly fairly good combat systems, everything else surrounding those games is terrible.

Actually Bats' suggestion of Men of War isn't bad, it's different in a lot of ways, what with it being fully real time, but it is small squad tactics. Even when you're part of larger battles, you're only controlling a smaller squad of men.

edit: The western market pretty much completely abandoned the genre. The only developments come from Japan in the form of SPRGs and in eastern europe. But now that I think about it, a few Japanese games may qualify. You should give the Front Mission games a shot. Front Mission 3 for the PS1 and 5 for the PS2 are my favorites. They aren't as in-depth as Jagged Alliance, not by a long shot, but they are still pretty different from your standard japanese SRPG, such as the way that they focus on ranged combat, the use of cover, locational damage on your mechs, and the western inspired designs of the mechs themselves.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 7, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Tiramisu posted:

I'd also played the original Front Mission but it felt a lot like most Japanese TRPGs. Did they change up the formula in the later ones? Not that I dislike Japanese TRPGs, I just have enough of them right now. I'll probably look into Front Mission 3 if they updated, though FM5 looks like it was Japan only.

The thing that I feel sets the western/Russian tactical games apart is that they make more use of the environment for line of sight, obstruction, and elevation. From the demo, it seems like Men of War handles that well. It's really nice to see a game where the battlefield is actually open enough to allow for tactical maneuvers. Is the demo indicative of the normal game's difficulty? Because it was really loving hard. I turned it down to easy, and troops would still get torn up if a pathing error made they run into the open. Before I pick it up, is it worthwhile to get steam's gold pack or the theatre of war collection?

Front Mission 3 is a lot better than FM1, IMO. It's not hugely different, just enough to be an improvement. The biggest change is probably that they made machine guns and shotguns ranged weapons just like rocket launchers. In FM1, you had to get right next to guys to use your guns, but in FM3 that is only the case with melee weapons. This makes it a lot better to me. Also, FM3 had a larger emphasis on smaller squads. These changes may not completely turn you around on the series, but it makes for a better game.

Front Mission 5 is Japan only, but there is a complete translation patch, if you have a hacked/modded PS2 or can run a PS2 emulator. I honestly haven't played more than a few missions of FM5, but it seems good.

As for Men of War, yeah, it's loving hard as hell. That never changes. In Co-op, it's a bit easier, but still it's pretty brutal. I haven't played Red Tide, but I heard it wasn't all that great, so I can't really comment on the collections. edit: Looking it up, Theater of War seems to be an unrelated game published by the same publisher, but made by different people. And it's older and looks much worse.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 9, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

XboxPants posted:

Yeah, but is it really worthwhile to play it multiplayer? Does it have any kind of campaign other than killing random NPCs? Any real quests or stories or anything else to shake things up at all? Either way, I have played some of that game and already know I like it to some degree, so...

Any other RPGs where you skill up by using skills, or is that as rare as it looks?

It doesn't have an overarching plot, but there are still lots of small quests to do, you can align yourself with any factions and help them conquer the continent, or name yourself a king and create a kingdom of your own. There's lots of different objectives and goals for the single player campaign.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Sweet, I was about to start a thread that was doomed to die in a few hours asking for a specific recommendation, glad I looked around for something like this first.

So, I have a request for recommendations.

I have lately been desiring to play some sort of game wherein a big aspect (if not the primary gameplay feature) is... building something, collecting things, or generally watching something you're taking care of grow (whether by hiring people, cultivating the right situations, etc.). I don't necessarily mean a single thing (so I'm not really looking for games like Pokemon) but rather a system or at least something with multiple aspects.

I know this is extremely vague so I'll try to give a little more detail or examples of games that have what I'm talking about :

• The Suikoden series - The base-building aspect of that, while not really ever fleshed out or a primary focus, was always appealing to me.
  • Viva Pinata - I don't currently own one of these titles but that's something I'll probably fix. A pretty obvious one I'd guess.
  • Stronghold - If this game had a mode where you could just build a castle and never get attacked that would be great.
  • Harvest Moon/Rune Factory - I never really got into these despite trying them every so often but I'm thinking I should give them a second shot.
  • Startopia - Not super well-known, but it was comparable to Dungeon Keeper - you basically worked on making a space station habitable and enjoyable to a variety of aliens by hiring workers and building stores and such for them to use.

Just as a caveat, I'm not really into RTS's and don't feel like playing Civilization V (I know that isn't an RTS) just yet, and that's not quite what I was looking for anyway.

So, any recommendations? I have access to basically every current system right now, except the PSP; so, PS3, Xbox 360, PC, Wii, DS.

Thanks in advance. :)

You should really considered a city management sim? There's the Sim City games, Sim City 4 + rush hour + some mods make it a really fun game to just plan and build poo poo, and see how it grows.

For games that are more recent, there's Tropico 3, where you control a small Caribbean nation during the Cold War, though it's scaled down to the point where it's more of a city sim. You do have to manage relations with the US and Soviet Union, and there's heaps of humor mixed in. Really fun and relaxing game with great music.

Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery (name changes depending on region) is a horrifyingly addictive and awesome sim where you have to manage various colonies across a large archipelago. The game is all about managing production chains and trade between your various islands and other players or neutral cities. There's a wide range of options that go from allowing you to very casually build up your island cities, which you can make look absolutely gorgeous, to some cutthroat competitive games against other players trying to do the same thing, and competing with you for valuable resources.

And for something very different, you might like Little King's Story. It's a cute and fairly humorous game about a kid who finds a crown in a forest somewhere, puts it on, and gets transported to a bizarre land where he's king and his crown gives him the ability to command anyone at will. Some crazed army general finds you and takes up your cause to become rightful king of the entire world, and that involves some very Pikmin-like gameplay where you have a small group of soldiers who follow behind you and you command very much like in Pikmin. But between that, you're building up your kingdom, deciding what buildings to build, what type of troop to make each person, etc. The actual kingdom building isn't terrible deep, but the way it evolves is neat and it's fun to watch your people go about their day. It's a really charming and cute game that's actually a lot of fun, and it sounds like it might appeal to you.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sword of the Stars is an extremely simplified 4x game, if that's too in-depth for you, then you should just abandon the 4x genre. I don't think there are any good space 4x games that are simpler.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Halation posted:

Can anyone recommend some of the best PSP RPGs? To be a bit more specific, I'm also looking for fairly challenging gameplay, interesting visuals, and decent writing.

Persona 3 Portable. The visuals can be lackluster, but they were sacrificed in order to put the 90 loving hour epic RPG onto the PSP, complete with a second new playable character. Great writing, good voice acting, challenging gameplay for RPG standards (although still easier than the other persona versions), and is probably the best RPG on the system.

edit: fuuu- Although I guess that means you're familiar with the SMT formula. Persona 3 Portable wont be as hard as Nocturne.

If you want fun and challenging action RPG gameplay, get Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. It's really hard, tactical, and fun. Not much in the way of a plot or writing, but it looks nice for a PSP game.

second edit: Oh, and keep your eye on the upcoming Tactics Ogre remake, it looks like it will be excellent. It's a challenging SRPG with a great plot full of political intrigue.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Dec 27, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

FRAZZLED JOHNSON posted:

What's a great space 4X game that's around as complex as Civilization 4? Is Galactic Civilizations II okay?

"okay" is a good way to describe it. Lots of people love it, I get bored by it for some reason. I'd say it's about on the same level as Civ 4 is, maybe a bit more complex but not much so at all. The rock-paper-scissors combat rubs me the wrong way, and its tech tree is really boring, I think those are the two main things I don't like about it. I do like its diplomacy system, though, and a lot of people really praise the AI but I never played enough to challenge it.

You could try going back and playing Master of Orion 2. It's also about equal with Civ in its complexity. Most head scratching thing about it is its ship building system, it sometimes isn't intuitive to figure out what's best for a good ship. But the game has lots of great personality, varied races, and good combat. It's probably still my favorite space 4x to this day. The best part is that you can get it at good old games for super cheap. It's just $4.19 and comes with the first game! First game is worth playing for some perspective on how the series and the entire genre evolved, but 2 is the game to play for reals.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ramagamma posted:

Nope I don't. Largely becuase I bought the Game of the Year edition of Fallout 3 so was happy to plow straight into Broken Steel straight after finishing the vanilla campaign.

New Vegas on the other hand was a gift so if I want to continue the main campaign there I'll have to either download the DLC seperately. This I don't like doing becuase it means I didn't have the full package in my hands from day one. That or wait and buy the GOTY edition a year or so down the line which has the whole package in a box. This would be my preference.

Personally though I rarely find myself so infatuated with a game that I actually want more content.

Even if 10%-20% of that content is dour lovely content perfect for people who play individual games for too long screaming out "give me more give me more, satisfy my need for more lovely corridor shooter sections".

But you aren't continuing the main campaign in the FONV DLC, you're starting a completely separate one, with a new character, aren't you? Am I understanding the DLC wrong?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

dms666 posted:

Does the DS have any games that are similar to Shadowgate/Deja Vu from the NES?

Closest to Deja Vu is probably something like Hotel Dusk, a really good adventure game.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Many of the removed mechanics were replaced with new ones, there's no civics but there's social policies (which are both less and more complicated in some ways), there's the City State system, etc.

There are two main flaws with Civ V right now, the first one being that there's only one "best" strategy right now (Infinite City Spam, building as many tiny cities as you possibly can, dozens of them), that pretty much outclasses every other strategy for every other victory condition besides Culture. The second one being the chronically stupid AI that struggles to pose a fun challenge to veteran players. Even if you show restraint and don't ICS, if you're actually really good at the game it stops being fun as the AI is extremely weak.

If Firaxis fixed those issues, it would still be a divisive game, but it will be more subjective. Right now, if you suck at 4X games or are just a casual player of them, then Civ V is fairly good. If you aren't ever going to play above the medium difficulties and just like building cool empires and being buddies with Gandhi, then Civ V is a good game to do this in. If you want a hardcore or competitive 4X, Civ V doesn't currently do that nearly as well as IV did.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

vandelay industries posted:

Hey guys.

I really suck at researching this kind of thing so I thought I would post here. Me and my friends are looking for a really fun and addictive multiplayer game. Here are a few things we are looking for (and some things we want to avoid).

Wants:
- PC or XBox 360
- Old or New
- MMOs and non-MMOs are both great(see below for exceptions)
- Something that will last (i.e. not just some short co-op campaign)
- If an MMO, I'd like it to have a good community
- Leveling-up would be nice or some kind of reward system as you progress
- The fun factor is a biggy, though at the same time I don't mind a hardcore gaming atmosphere. We get frustrated at games like CoD.
- A polished game would be preferable!
- Would prefer something other than a FPS, but it's definitely not a deal breaker.

Stuff we want to avoid:
- No Call of Duty
- No World of Warcraft, Warhammer or anything that's VERY similar.

Sorry if it's a very general list, but it's all I got! Thanks in advance :)

How about Dawn of War 2? It's like an RTS fused with Diablo. In co-op, you're given control over two small squads of guys each, and you micro them intensely. There's loot to find and levels to obtain, a lot of tactics and co-ordination between the two of you, and towards the end of the game you turn into total bad-asses. It's a hell of a lot of fun to play co-op. The expansion is also a lot of fun (but kinda short), and carries your save over.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Erwin posted:

I'm looking for a business tycoon game of some sort. I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for, but I'll probably know it when I find it. Here's two games I think I'd like to play:

For the first game, I would love to take a city from Simcity 4, and stop being mayor and become a real-estate mogul, buying buildings throughout the city and collecting rent, and then buying bigger and nicer buildings when I get rich.

For the second game, I think that I am looking for a hardcore spreadsheet game. Something in which I can find quantitative strategies and turn money into more money. I want a game in which I use investments to become rich. I want to focus more on the investing and less on details of buildings or whatever (i.e. not Roller Coaster Tycoon).

If these two games are one in the same, great. Either one would probably satisfy what I'm looking for. Also, it's probably fine if they're a browser game, as long as they're deep enough. Farmville is not the answer.

Have you tried the X games? X3: Terran Conflict being the latest and best game (it supersedes all the earlier games, don't play them). They're space sandbox games, kind of like Freelancer, but way more open and sandboxy. There's a campaign that you can mostly ignore, and combat that can also be mostly ignore (but it's pretty decent space combat!). You can get incredibly lost in the complex economic system it has. Cribbing from earlier games in the genre, it has trading, goods transportation, that kind of stuff, but it makes it considerably more complex. You can control large trading fleets of AI controlled ships that trade between planets for you. You can then start building your own factories, manufacture your own goods, create star bases, start making your own armada to protect your trade routes, take over other corporations, etc. It gets pretty in-depth.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Try the Freespace games. They're the oldschool mission-to-mission all action style of combat sim, no exploration or anything. But the combat is really freaking good. The Freespace series are easily my favorite space combat sims. The best part is that they're just $6 a piece at Good Old Games.

They may be old, but there's an open source project, FreeSpace Source Code Project, that really helps modernize the games. As a result, they run great on modern systems, support modern resolutions, look better, support modern joysticks and controllers, and so on. I believe you can plug both FS1 and 2 into it and play both campaigns on the same improved engine.

edit: Looking at the FS1 port website, it seems like you don't need to own Freespace 1 to play its campaign in FS2 Open? I'm not entirely sure about this, though.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 16, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lord Master posted:

I guess my request kind of fills the thread's criteria.

Was looking at Age of Wonders on GOG and I'm very tempted by the premise. Which of the three AoW games (AoW, AoW II, or Shadow Magic) would you guys recommend I start with? Does it even matter? I don't know whether they're an actual storyline trilogy or something like Civilization where each game is same at the core but different in execution.

Actually each game is the same at the core and more or less the same in execution as well. Well, they get better graphics and more races, but otherwise the game rules are more or less exactly the same. Keeping this in mind, Shadow Magic is the best game of the three, and if you only play one you should play that. Unless you're really into single player campaigns, which I'm not terribly fond of the AoW ones, then you could play them all I guess, but from a skirmish point of view, which is the meat of the game for me, Shadow Magic is by far the best and the only one you need to play.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'd say that Rainbow Six didn't age well. It's ugly as hell and the AI is kinda cheaty and lovely, and there's some controls quirks. If you were to play a traditional Rainbow Six game, I'd recommend Lockdown. It's much more bearable by today's standards.

Depending on the size of your group, you could play Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2. Those are pretty solid and fun squad based shooters. No, there's not anywhere near as much tactical depth as the original R6 games, and they Michael Bay it up a bit, but it's still a fun side series. Both the campaign and terrorist hunt modes are good fun.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Perestroika posted:

Bad Day: LA is already rather old, but I remember it being pretty funny back then. Also of course all the old Lucas-Arts adventures, such as Monkey Island, Indiana Jones, Day of the Tentacle or Simon the Sorceror. Most of them should be on GoG.

And if you're looking for a game where choices matter then you definitely want to take a look at The Witcher and Alpha Protocol. Just look into the thread for the latter, people are still finding completely new ways the story can be resolved.

You are not honestly recommending Bad Day LA to anyone, are you? that game was critically panned by everyone and widely considered by actual gamers as loving terrible in every possible way, and not even ironically funny. Don't play Bad Day LA.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ashenai posted:

Looking for a co-op shooter to play with a buddy, on PC. We enjoyed Borderlands, but we're done with it.

So far, Resident Evil 5 looks like our best bet, but I heard the PC port has awful control issues, is that true? Anything else you guys can recommend?

RE5 is great on PC. You're probably thinking of the PC port of RE4, that one was awful and controlled terribly, and was bad in every other possible way as well.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Red Octopus!! posted:

I've never played a Metal Gear Solid game, but the idea of a game that is filled with easter eggs, 4th wall breaks, and the like appeals to me. I'm considering the idea of buying MGS1 off the PSN for this reason. Do people play MGS for the hidden stuff or am I approaching MGS from the wrong viewpoint?

The stealth action is incredibly well done and probably the biggest reason people play the games. At first people played MGS because it was very innovative with how it handled cutscenes and how cinematic it was. Now people play it not for a compelling plot, but how incredibly and often hilariously campy it is. It has a LOT of camp. If you like over-the-top cutscenes (MGS1 actually lacked these until the Twin Snakes remake), ludicrous dialog, and lots convoluted plot threads, you'll enjoy MGS. But enjoying the stealth gameplay is kinda a pre-requisite.

They're an acquired taste though, because while they do set out to be cheesy in a lot of ways, they play it with a completely straight face. It's hard for a lot of people to take, and makes for some incredibly bizarre moments. Most crazy or cheesy games are unabashedly so that don't even try to hide it, but MGS does. It becomes hard to tell when you're supposed to take them seriously and when you're not. Incidentally, MGS3 is the possibly the best of the series, and it's also the least batshit of the games.

edit: I was very unclear with the answer I guess, but the MGS series is kinda spotty in a way that makes it hard to answer. I guess, yeah you'll like it if you like stealth games and easter eggs and 4th wall breaks because it does all that stuff pretty well, starting with MGS2. Maybe you should find a way to play twin snakes, or just straight up skip MGS1.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 31, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Captain_Indigo posted:

Anyone able to suggest a tactical RPG for the DS or PS3. Already have FFAdvance, but something similar to that. Preferably with classes and/or skill sets, because that's how I like my RPGS. Thanks.

I don't have a PS3 but I enjoyed the first two Disgaea games, and I heard Disgaea 3 was pretty good, too. It's pure anime, though.

Luminaflare mentioned all the good DS SRPGs I can think of except one, Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume is a pretty good SRPG.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Captain McStabbin posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and second the Disgaea series. The only problems I could maybe see with it is the above mentioned anime stuff and the fact that the game is pretty much all grinding. To give you an idea, the level cap is 9999, and you can reincarnate people back to level 1 to further increase their stats. Items themselves have levels, which can be raised by entering the item world, a 100 floor randomized dungeon. There's usually extra maps that are often harder versions of story maps that are only available after beating the game. And when you finally beat all that, there's new game+.

It's only all grinding if you want to do post-game stuff that requires grinding. The actual story chapters requires very little grinding, and you can do it with little to no transmigrating, and only occasionally going into the item world. At least, that's how it was in Disgaea 1 and 2.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Harmonica posted:

Shrapnel kill me with their boutique prices. They have some interesting games, but they must be selling to a pretty small market.

They'd be selling to a much bigger market if their prices weren't so idiotic. "Our customer base is small so we'll price our products really high!" is the most backwards way possible to do things . Although Paradox's strategy games aren't quite as hardcore, they show that complex strategy games can gain a much larger audience. I mean, gently caress, AGEOD's new game is debuting at $20, and it's probably going to be their best earner because of it.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 11, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

When I hear difficult PC games, I think of Roguelikes. The vast majority of which aren't even remotely fair. The one I will definitely vouch for, however, is Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. When you die in that game, it's usually not because you didn't read a guide or know beforehand what to do, but because you made a poor decision. Drank an unidentified potion, went too deep into the dungeon before you leveled up, charged into a room without thinking with an orc in it, only to see 5 orc mages behind him, etc. It's a fun type of challenge that I enjoy far more than the type of challenge that roguelikes such as Nethack employ. Some say it's easier so it's not as good, but ascension rate is still really low and you will still get your rear end kicked.

Also, it has officially supported graphics that look alright! No more discerning ascii characters, trying to remember what means what. A mouse friendly interface! Also, it's free!

Click here for the full 1190x934 image.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'd argue that Nethack is pretty much the definition of unfair. The fact that you only have a chance if you read guides and spoilers is completely loving bonkers.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Vizrt posted:

Nier.

Looks like it hits all your criteria. Within price range, $20 new. Has an emotional story. If you aren't a completionist when it comes to sidequests, it easily fits into your gameplay time requirements. If I had to guess it's about 10-15 hours with just the main story and a few of the more interesting side quests. I picked it up on a whim while at Gamestop, and couldn't put it down.

Don't you have to play it twice to get the best ending, though?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

RickDaedalus posted:

I've been binging on mindless action games and I would like to try something with character interaction, wherein you can talk to your bros or brosettes. Games like Fire Emblem, Persona 3, Harvest Moon, Mass Effect, and Alpha Protocol are examples of what I'm talking about.

I have:
A PC
PSP
Every Nintendo platform

I prefer games for PC and handhelds but, I'm open to consoles.

You should get Radiant Historia for the DS, it's a really good JRPG that came out this month. It's pretty good, with actual interesting characters, including a main character that's a motherfucking grown adult for a change, with realistic character interactions for a JRPG. You start off as a spy for your nation's army and end up traveling back and forth through time to progress through the story. I guess the character interaction isn't as deep as Alpha Protocol, but if you labeled Fire Emblem in there then this is better than that. It's a very refreshing game for the genre.

A recent PSP game with a great plot and well designed characters with complex motives is Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, a remake of the snes/ps1 game. It's a strategy RPG more in the vein of Final Fantasy Tactics than Fire Emblem, made by the same designers of FFT. It has a very politically focused plot that's roughly analogous to the early '90s Yugoslav Wars, and it doesn't break apart in the end like FFT's did. The writing is fantastic for an RPG from Japan and the characters are particularly well done.

edit: And I'll second the Fallout New Vegas recommendation above. Obsidian has been showcasing some strong character interactions lately and New Vegas is much better at it than Fallout 3 was.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 26, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rollersnake posted:

I played it after it was supposedly fixed by official patches, and the only way to get it running at a decent framerate was to have it looking like a Sega Dreamcast game, and it still crashed, so no. I think there are some unofficial patches that can make it playable.

The unofficial patches only help certain specific things, such as a timing error for some CPUs that make the game run too fast or too slow depending on your clock speed. That doesn't address choppy framerates, but the entire game would either slow down or speed up if your CPU was either faster or slower than some arbitrary clock rate. The Gentleman of the Row mod did some stuff like remove some clutter from the game or other objects that can remove slowdown, but I still get a really horrible framerate even with it and the aforementioned fix. I have to turn off lighting entirely or I'll randomly get 5-10FPS segments that make driving way too difficult.

edit: Basically, yeah, even with the fan patches/mods, the game is still hit-or-miss on whether or not it will actually be playable.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fatty Patty posted:

I'm looking for an MMO or just a regular RPG with these criteria:

-highly customizable appearance. Can change color of clothes, hair, and everything else effortlessly.

-no turn-based fighting

-something I can play on PC

-must look decent/good

-if it's a regular RPG, nothing with a party, just an individual based game

Would prefer an MMO, but I am open to suggestions of non-MMOs.

Maybe you'd like City of Heroes/Villains? It's not the most popular MMO, but its combat is rather fun, and its customization is legendarily insane.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Amrosorma posted:

I'm looking for ARPGs/RPGish games that have a heavy emphasis on looting (Diablo as an example of the former and Borderlands for the latter). Bonus if they're on Steam.

These are the games I already have :)

You have like all the games. All of them. Any reason why you've barely played Titan Quest?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Amrosorma posted:

Like most of the RPGs in my library, I played (and finished) it at launch before it was on Steam. Like movies, I have a hard time playing games I've already finished :(

At this point I think it's best to just wait. There's Grim Dawn, Torchlight 2, Diablo 3, and Dungeon Siege 3 all possibly coming out this year. DS3 is just a month away.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Trollologist posted:

I was going to play it like I would hitman or tenchu with a lot of sneaking a body hiding.

In addition to the game not being a shooter, it's also not a stealth game. You can't move bodies, they just vanish after a period of time. The stealth mechanics are really ramshackle. Basically every part of the game that isn't picking a dialog option is complete poo poo, which is why it was panned.

It's still worth a shot if you get it on sale. After playing through it a couple times, I can see why people like it. It's just that the gameplay is so drat bad. And no, it never got fixed in patches.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Consider Men of War. It's like a much more detailed, more realistic version of Company of Heroes. It's pretty fun but also incredibly difficult.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

From Earth posted:

Looking for a game with the following properties:

- PC.
- Available on Steam.
- Fairly recent (last two, three years).
- Can be played with a controller (X-Box controller for Windows).
- Preferably little aiming (i.e., no FPS).
- Preferred genres: Action, adventure.
- No sports games.
- Not Assassins Creed (played through and loved AC2 recently, but I want to wait a month or two before I buy Brotherhood).

I'll say Dead Rising 2 because I've been playing it lately and it's pretty good! Guns play a very small role so you wont be doing a lot of aiming.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ashenai posted:

Titan Quest is the obvious choice if you want something just like Diablo 2. Magicka is also very good supposedly although I haven't played it. Personally I hate the Dungeon Siege games but a lot of people seem to like those games too, maybe you'll be one of them!

If you're looking for a slightly more offbeat suggestion, check out Dungeon Fighter Online. It's an MMO brawler.

Magicka isn't anything like Diablo, really.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A conversation with a friend has got me thinking about those old GBC/GBA Mario sports RPGs. And it's making me really want more games like them, but I'm not really finding much. Camelot and Nintendo seem content just churning out more uninteresting feature-light Mario Tennis and Golf games, and even the handheld versions aren't RPGs anymore. I've also played a lot of the MLB Power Pros games which also had pretty great RPG modes. I've played and enjoyed to some extent the career modes for MLB The Show and NBA 2K, but they're really dry experiences, I enjoyed the whimsical and light-hearted stories of the other games I mentioned, and I'd prefer something with arcadey gameplay. So does anyone know of any other good sports RPGs like that? Or is that a dead genre because Japan doesn't seem interested in making them (or localizing them, in the Power Pros series' case :argh:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MrBims posted:

You'll want to look into the Inazuma Eleven games for the DS, made by Level-5. It's a series of JRPGs with combat being soccer(football) matches that are liberally spaced with silly and fantastical techniques.

I actually tried Inazuma Eleven a while back and forgot about it. It's almost what I want. But I'm not sure I actually like the gameplay much, unfortunately. Mostly because I was awful at it and failed multiple times at beating the first real match. So, that seems like the only other game like this? Guess I'll just boot up the GBA Mario Golf again.