Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sonic H
Dec 8, 2004

Me love you long time

doctor iono posted:

I have a pretty simple recommendation request this time: Scary games. What are the spookiest games I can play, when it comes to the PC? They can be from any time, I'm not picky.

Just to give you an idea of what I'm looking for:

FEAR - Not a big fan. I guess the shooter action was pretty fun, but the horror "sections" were just uninspired, in my opinion.
STALKER - Loved it. Lots of great, creepy atmosphere-building, and the sheer terror that persisted past the jump scare of a bloodsucker was awesome.
Penumbra - HAVE NOT PLAYED THIS. I played a demo a long, long time ago. It was kind of clunky, but I've heard great things about it since, and it sounds like they must have improved a whole lot. Is it worth playing?

Penumbra (Overture) is loving awesome if you like sneaky/scary games. It's put the poo poo up me more than once and I heartily recommend it. The combat/first person object swinging system takes getting used to, but it's a really good game and unlike most games, you can't wade into combat willy nilly or you'll end up redecorating the floor with your blood and brains. You can get the Trilogy on Steam for not much :10bux:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonic H
Dec 8, 2004

Me love you long time

This Jacket Is Me posted:

Condemned (both 1 and 2, but 1 was better) series, Dead Space was okay but I mightily preferred Doom 3 for space horror, I've only played a little FEAR but what I saw was good, I'd also suggest STALKER series because no other game in my recent memory has such a variety of atmosphere while still remaining believable. If you want a real gem, but kind of old, definitely play VtMB.

Basically this. Personally I found the Dead Space games to be predictable, massively tedious and hugely lacking in atmosphere (huh, irony). Doom3 was far better in terms of lighting, atmosphere, pressure and "jumpy" scary, although the predictability of monster closets did start to grate after a while.

FEAR1 (not FEAR2 - that was poo poo) and its expansion Extraction Point were fantastic for atmosphere - I found them to be an excellent combination of action, horror and tension. And if it's atmospheric horror you're after, Amnesia: The Dark Descent (Steam) will make you absolutely poo poo your trousers. It's phenomenal. (Aside: if you're feeling sassy, you might also want to try the Penumbra games by Frictional too - they're sort of the predecessors to Amnesia, unconnected, but a similar gameplay idea).

If you don't mind a slower game then the Thief series are almost unmatched for atmosphere, unique game mechanics and story. Thief 2 is the best, but play all three in order for the full story experience.

More recently, Deus Ex: Human Revolution does a pretty good job of approximating the original (which as I'm sure you're aware was awesome) if you haven't played that.

Sonic H fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 22, 2012